#1 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Alrighty, question.

I had a lady come into my work today (i work at a feed store) and ask for rabbit pellets. Anyways, she said she feeds them to her pygmy goats because the regular alfalfa pellets are to big. She said that she will toss some at her horses occasionaly too, as a treat. So, my question is, would it be ok to give them to my pony? She's not a fan of the alfalfa pellets and cant really chew hay anymore, so I was wondering if the smaller pellet would be more enticing? She is on a senior grain but a form of "foarage" would be nice.

Thanks!!

#2 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:25 PM

30+ years ago, we feed rabbit chow to our horses for some unknown reason. They all lived well into their 30's. It is safe to feed, however it's not the best choice out there. If what you really want is just a smaller diameter alfalfa pellet, ask your supplier for one. Most manufacturers make pellets in different sizes and if they don't, another company that you buy from probably does. Some make the pellet harder, others softer. You can always add water to the pellets if they are too hard or big for her to chew. Most horse chows are basically just a fortified small diameter alfalfa pellet with some added grains. Probably a better balanced choice with the added vitamins and minerals a horse needs.

Good question for you local sales rep. They are there to educate their vendors about their product line, how to read labels, how to balance diets, correct use of their products... and they usually can provide alot of reading material that you can use as reference material.

#3 Dawndi

Dawndi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

I used to know someone who fed rabbit pellets as a treat and her horses just loved it. She'd walk out there with a bag and feed it by the handfull.

#4 Hola

Hola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

can't see how it would hurt a horse...

but at the same time i know i wouldnt feed it , but i also don't have any rabbits either....

#5 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys!

There is no one around here that sells a smaller pellet. The one I got is the smallest I have found. There is a little bit of vitamin and minerals in the rabbit pellets, other then that its just alfalfa. Thanks for the thoughts though, I really appreciate it!!!

Lacee

#6 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Alrighty, question.

I had a lady come into my work today (i work at a feed store) and ask for rabbit pellets. Anyways, she said she feeds them to her pygmy goats because the regular alfalfa pellets are to big. She said that she will toss some at her horses occasionaly too, as a treat. So, my question is, would it be ok to give them to my pony? She's not a fan of the alfalfa pellets and cant really chew hay anymore, so I was wondering if the smaller pellet would be more enticing? She is on a senior grain but a form of "foarage" would be nice.

Thanks!!

#7 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:25 PM

30+ years ago, we feed rabbit chow to our horses for some unknown reason. They all lived well into their 30's. It is safe to feed, however it's not the best choice out there. If what you really want is just a smaller diameter alfalfa pellet, ask your supplier for one. Most manufacturers make pellets in different sizes and if they don't, another company that you buy from probably does. Some make the pellet harder, others softer. You can always add water to the pellets if they are too hard or big for her to chew. Most horse chows are basically just a fortified small diameter alfalfa pellet with some added grains. Probably a better balanced choice with the added vitamins and minerals a horse needs.

Good question for you local sales rep. They are there to educate their vendors about their product line, how to read labels, how to balance diets, correct use of their products... and they usually can provide alot of reading material that you can use as reference material.

#8 Dawndi

Dawndi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

I used to know someone who fed rabbit pellets as a treat and her horses just loved it. She'd walk out there with a bag and feed it by the handfull.

#9 Hola

Hola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

can't see how it would hurt a horse...

but at the same time i know i wouldnt feed it , but i also don't have any rabbits either....

#10 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys!

There is no one around here that sells a smaller pellet. The one I got is the smallest I have found. There is a little bit of vitamin and minerals in the rabbit pellets, other then that its just alfalfa. Thanks for the thoughts though, I really appreciate it!!!

Lacee