• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have had my horse on our property for about 2 months now, and I thought that when hay is baled it is put together in a way that it's easy to get flakes off the bale. It doesn't seem to be consistent with the hay I've been buying. Is a flake supposed to be 2", 4", 6" or what? [Confused]

#2 dodgershuman

dodgershuman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

NEVER go by how big the flake is.. go by how much it weighs. My boys get about 20 lbs a day of hay(each). So about 4 flakes a day. Some horses need more than that. Depends on the horse.

I would definitely suggest weighing it to figure out how much to feed.

#3 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

I was going on what was told to me where I used to board Rowdy. The owner showed me about how big a flake she was feeding him and that the hay flakes by how it is baled. I don't know if she ever weighed the flakes for his size, but he weighs about 1,000 lbs. I think the flake size was about 4". So when people are feeding "flakes", it is based on the weight of the flake for their particular horse?

#4 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

BUMP.

#5 anniemae

anniemae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

Flakes weigh different in different parts of the country, and with different kinds of hay. Here, a flake weighs anywhere from 8-12 lbs each for alfalfa. 3-way/grain hay is lighter... Just depends on the hay, where it is baled, etc...

Always feed by weight. [Smiley Wavey]

#6 tgbbeliever

tgbbeliever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skidroe:
I was going on what was told to me where I used to board Rowdy. The owner showed me about how big a flake she was feeding him and that the hay flakes by how it is baled. I don't know if she ever weighed the flakes for his size, but he weighs about 1,000 lbs. I think the flake size was about 4". So when people are feeding "flakes", it is based on the weight of the flake for their particular horse?

You want to feed at least 1.5% of their body weight so for a horse that weighs about 1000 lbs. you would want to feed at least 15 lbs. of hay per day. For a working horse or breeding animal you can increase the percentage. I would find a weight tape to try to estimate you horse’s weight more accurately.

#7 I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

wow... this is why i DONT make up the feeds. I just feed what I'm told to.
Personally NO ONE at my barn weighs the flakes. we just feed a couple of flakes per horse. im pretty sure if a horse gets 2 big flakes one day adn 2 smaller ones the next day it still gonna be fine. a little more/less hay isnt gonna kill the horse. i would just feed it 1-2 flakes in the morning and 1-2 at night. A flake is just the amount of hay that comes apart easily. I didn't even knwo there was a "specific" amount a flake is supposed to be. Maybe there is... but i doubt it.

#8 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

*hEaRt*: This is the way my former boarding facility did the flakes--the amount of hay that comes apart easily. I have been getting varying amounts that flake off easily. I'm going to weigh a flake to see what I get, although based on a 1,000 pound horse needing 15 pounds of hay a day, I can't imagine that the flakes I have been feeding weigh 7.5 pounds each. And I can't imagine feeding him any more than he's already getting 'cause he's definitely not skinny!

#9 I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

yeah skidroe, thats how i do it. (you just wrote it better) I'm sure whatever you give him is fine. different sizes dont matter! (IMO.)
You dont have to give him 15 pounds of hay. if hes good with the amount he gets now, then don't change it. the amount varies with horses.

[ 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs ]

#10 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have had my horse on our property for about 2 months now, and I thought that when hay is baled it is put together in a way that it's easy to get flakes off the bale. It doesn't seem to be consistent with the hay I've been buying. Is a flake supposed to be 2", 4", 6" or what? [Confused]

#11 dodgershuman

dodgershuman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

NEVER go by how big the flake is.. go by how much it weighs. My boys get about 20 lbs a day of hay(each). So about 4 flakes a day. Some horses need more than that. Depends on the horse.

I would definitely suggest weighing it to figure out how much to feed.

#12 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

#13 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

BUMP.

#14 anniemae

anniemae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

Flakes weigh different in different parts of the country, and with different kinds of hay. Here, a flake weighs anywhere from 8-12 lbs each for alfalfa. 3-way/grain hay is lighter... Just depends on the hay, where it is baled, etc...

Always feed by weight. [Smiley Wavey]

#15 tgbbeliever

tgbbeliever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skidroe:

You want to feed at least 1.5% of their body weight so for a horse that weighs about 1000 lbs. you would want to feed at least 15 lbs. of hay per day. For a working horse or breeding animal you can increase the percentage. I would find a weight tape to try to estimate you horse’s weight more accurately.

#16 I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

wow... this is why i DONT make up the feeds. I just feed what I'm told to.
Personally NO ONE at my barn weighs the flakes. we just feed a couple of flakes per horse. im pretty sure if a horse gets 2 big flakes one day adn 2 smaller ones the next day it still gonna be fine. a little more/less hay isnt gonna kill the horse. i would just feed it 1-2 flakes in the morning and 1-2 at night. A flake is just the amount of hay that comes apart easily. I didn't even knwo there was a "specific" amount a flake is supposed to be. Maybe there is... but i doubt it.

#17 skidroe

skidroe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

*hEaRt*: This is the way my former boarding facility did the flakes--the amount of hay that comes apart easily. I have been getting varying amounts that flake off easily. I'm going to weigh a flake to see what I get, although based on a 1,000 pound horse needing 15 pounds of hay a day, I can't imagine that the flakes I have been feeding weigh 7.5 pounds each. And I can't imagine feeding him any more than he's already getting 'cause he's definitely not skinny!

#18 I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

yeah skidroe, thats how i do it. (you just wrote it better) I'm sure whatever you give him is fine. different sizes dont matter! (IMO.)
You dont have to give him 15 pounds of hay. if hes good with the amount he gets now, then don't change it. the amount varies with horses.

[ 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: I_*hEaRt*_PoNiEs ]