• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

My horse has had a swollen knee for about 3 weeks. It is hard..and his leg right below it is a bit swollen too..it goes outward. He has had multiple ligament problems these last few months due to a bad trimming...he got better but it seems his knee is just staying the same and not getting any better. I have been cold hosing it..using liniments and stuff...but it is not getting better..or worse. It is a hard swelling and he seems perfectly fine besides the fact that that knee is bigger than the other...any ideas? The vet is coming out soon but in the meantime help would be appreciated...

#2 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Elise, I bought a horse one time who had a swollen knee. She was never lame on it and it never went away. I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called. But I was just happy she was sound on it. Good luck with the vet.

Also, you mentioned poor trimming. My horses had some lameness problems due to poor trimming. One horse had a big lump on the top of his cannon, in front of his hock. I didn't even realize at the time it was from being unbalanced. After I got a new farrier, the lump went down immediately. But it took many months for it to disappear completely. Once he was trimmed properly, he was never lame. Hope this helps a little.

Debi

#3 Elise

Elise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

My horse has had a swollen knee for about 3 weeks. It is hard..and his leg right below it is a bit swollen too..it goes outward. He has had multiple ligament problems these last few months due to a bad trimming...he got better but it seems his knee is just staying the same and not getting any better. I have been cold hosing it..using liniments and stuff...but it is not getting better..or worse. It is a hard swelling and he seems perfectly fine besides the fact that that knee is bigger than the other...any ideas? The vet is coming out soon but in the meantime help would be appreciated...

#4 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

Elise, I bought a horse one time who had a swollen knee. She was never lame on it and it never went away. I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called. But I was just happy she was sound on it. Good luck with the vet.

Also, you mentioned poor trimming. My horses had some lameness problems due to poor trimming. One horse had a big lump on the top of his cannon, in front of his hock. I didn't even realize at the time it was from being unbalanced. After I got a new farrier, the lump went down immediately. But it took many months for it to disappear completely. Once he was trimmed properly, he was never lame. Hope this helps a little.

Debi