7 replies to this topic

#1 TigerLily

TigerLily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

My mare has a fluid filled "puffy" on the inside of her left hock, she is not lame on it, but I wonder if it would be cause for concern? It is in the groove where the big vein running down her leg lies. (Sorry, no pictues, computer being dumb)

She had them injected about a month ago, and my trainer says its just extra fluid in the joint....but, what would cause this extra fluid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 TigerLily

TigerLily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

bump

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

Try iceing the hock for 15 to 20 minutes.If you don't have ice hock boots,get a large bag of frozen peas or french cut green beans & put the bag around the hock & use a standing wrap over that.You'll need to tie your horse when doing this otherwise she will get it off.

#4 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Cold hosing or icing may help...but if she had the hock injected rather recently, it's possible that it's synovial fluid that has leaked out due to the perforation of the membrane.

If it were me, I'd contact the veterinarian that did the hock injection and see if they feel that it warrants an exam or not.

Otherwise, I'd cold hose, ice, and keep her moving--ie don't let her stand in a stall all day. Get her out and moving.

#5 TigerLily

TigerLily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

My mare has a fluid filled "puffy" on the inside of her left hock, she is not lame on it, but I wonder if it would be cause for concern? It is in the groove where the big vein running down her leg lies. (Sorry, no pictues, computer being dumb)

She had them injected about a month ago, and my trainer says its just extra fluid in the joint....but, what would cause this extra fluid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#6 TigerLily

TigerLily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

bump

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

Try iceing the hock for 15 to 20 minutes.If you don't have ice hock boots,get a large bag of frozen peas or french cut green beans & put the bag around the hock & use a standing wrap over that.You'll need to tie your horse when doing this otherwise she will get it off.

#8 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Cold hosing or icing may help...but if she had the hock injected rather recently, it's possible that it's synovial fluid that has leaked out due to the perforation of the membrane.

If it were me, I'd contact the veterinarian that did the hock injection and see if they feel that it warrants an exam or not.

Otherwise, I'd cold hose, ice, and keep her moving--ie don't let her stand in a stall all day. Get her out and moving.