7 replies to this topic

#1 lotr nerd

lotr nerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,094 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have heard different things as to what it is?
At first I thought it was when a horse was gelded
but he still looks like he can reproduce.
Then someone told me it was a behavior thing...
So I'm not sure and I was wondering what it is.
The horse that I'm going to buy is proud cut
and I want to know what I am getting.

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Some people refer to a horse as "acting like he's proud cut"...meaning that he has a lot of "studdy" behaviors.

The true definition of proud cut is that someone either intentionally or unintentionally did not do a very good job castrating. Proud cut means that they left some of the testicular tissue.

This is not good for a number of reasons: 1) production of testosterone can exacerbate studdy behavior. 2) the "gelding" is at risk for testicular cancer 3) in some cases, if enough tissue was left, the "gelding" may be able to breed a mare.

Even true castrated geldings can still get ********** and penetrate a mare. But typically, if they were gelded young enough, the behavioral concept of "mounting" may not have been learned.

Some people believe that leaving a gelding proud cut will help him grow bigger and stronger. These people are nutso IMHO.

So...if you are considering buying a horse that is "proud cut", be sure you know what you're getting into. Studdy behavior is difficult to manage if you're not very very consistent and dominant.

In addition, if the horse is still producing sperm, you've got some other risks bringing him into your herd or neighborhood. Liability issues and such.

If it were me, I'd have your vet do an exam and consider finishing the job.

#3 katie may

katie may

all right.....who farted?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

Ditto to BuddyRoo. someone i knew had a gelding that was proud cut. she was on a trail ride and her horse tried to mount her friends mare, while they were both on their horses. it can be real dangerous. needless to day she had it fixed and brought in a trainer to try and fix the situation. i left the job where the customer had the horse so i don't know how it turned out.

#4 Honey Girl

Honey Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

I had a proud cut pony and it drove me crazy. He did everything to the mare but the act. It drove my mare nuts. Also, he was a danger to himself as he would try to get over the stall wall to get to her when she was in heat. If I left him out in the field he ran and screamed and tried to dig his way out. It was ridiculous!

The vet can do a testosterone count on the one you are looking at to see if the behavior is studly or if their is enough tissue inside of him to produce sperm.

I will NEVER own another proud cut horse/pony. They are unpredictible and dangerous!!!!

#5 lotr nerd

lotr nerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,094 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have heard different things as to what it is?
At first I thought it was when a horse was gelded
but he still looks like he can reproduce.
Then someone told me it was a behavior thing...
So I'm not sure and I was wondering what it is.
The horse that I'm going to buy is proud cut
and I want to know what I am getting.

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Some people refer to a horse as "acting like he's proud cut"...meaning that he has a lot of "studdy" behaviors.

The true definition of proud cut is that someone either intentionally or unintentionally did not do a very good job castrating. Proud cut means that they left some of the testicular tissue.

This is not good for a number of reasons: 1) production of testosterone can exacerbate studdy behavior. 2) the "gelding" is at risk for testicular cancer 3) in some cases, if enough tissue was left, the "gelding" may be able to breed a mare.

Even true castrated geldings can still get ********** and penetrate a mare. But typically, if they were gelded young enough, the behavioral concept of "mounting" may not have been learned.

Some people believe that leaving a gelding proud cut will help him grow bigger and stronger. These people are nutso IMHO.

So...if you are considering buying a horse that is "proud cut", be sure you know what you're getting into. Studdy behavior is difficult to manage if you're not very very consistent and dominant.

In addition, if the horse is still producing sperm, you've got some other risks bringing him into your herd or neighborhood. Liability issues and such.

If it were me, I'd have your vet do an exam and consider finishing the job.

#7 katie may

katie may

all right.....who farted?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

Ditto to BuddyRoo. someone i knew had a gelding that was proud cut. she was on a trail ride and her horse tried to mount her friends mare, while they were both on their horses. it can be real dangerous. needless to day she had it fixed and brought in a trainer to try and fix the situation. i left the job where the customer had the horse so i don't know how it turned out.

#8 Honey Girl

Honey Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

I had a proud cut pony and it drove me crazy. He did everything to the mare but the act. It drove my mare nuts. Also, he was a danger to himself as he would try to get over the stall wall to get to her when she was in heat. If I left him out in the field he ran and screamed and tried to dig his way out. It was ridiculous!

The vet can do a testosterone count on the one you are looking at to see if the behavior is studly or if their is enough tissue inside of him to produce sperm.

I will NEVER own another proud cut horse/pony. They are unpredictible and dangerous!!!!