• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 june bug

june bug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

The flies have been really bad this year, i've tried a slew of sprays, endure helps a little bit. One of my horses is being treated for sweet itch,We have started using mtg for that but someone told me to try apple cider vinegar for the flies, should i use it as a spray or put it in their feed or both?

[ 07-16-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: june bug ]

#2 horsecrazy1234

horsecrazy1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

When I used apple cider vinegar for my horses, I put a cap or 2 full of it in there water. I should probably go back to using it..lol [Smiley Wavey]

#3 G&K'Smom

G&K'Smom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

We put it into their evening pellets. I use 1/4 cup per day. They love the stuff.

I've read where some people swear by the unprocessed stuff, but I've had good luck with the regular stuff you buy at the grocery store. The unprocessed cider is not easy to find where I am.

#4 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

Horsecrazy, I am guessing that it worked well for you. Other wise you would not be thinking about starting to use it again.

The flies are horrible here.. I have used wipe on the horses as much as I can, but one of ours is A Mustang unbroke. I have been trying to figure out something to use for her.

Is the apple cider vinger the stuff you buy at the grocery store?

Well, I hope you all didn't mind me asking.

Thank you [Smiley Wavey]

#5 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yes, it is just the plain apple cider vinegar. I usually just pour some into their feed 2 times a day. It really helped a lot!! [Wink]

#6 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

Thank you!!! I think I will give it a try.. [Smiley Wavey]

#7 horseloverz

horseloverz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Does it help the flies when you put it in there grain? or when you spray it on them? [Surrender] I've tryed alot of fly spray but non really seem to work on the horse flies.. [Surrender]

#8 horsecrazy1234

horsecrazy1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

horseloverz- you can put it in their grain and water. I also know there is a fly spray that you can make that has it in it. Although I dont remember the rest of the items put in it.

Country...Girl- yes, it worked good. Throughout the summer I poured more and more into the water since the flys did get worse. I used this along with other things for the flys. I used the vinegar in the water, garlic in the feed, and I never fly sprayed them when I rode at the barn. When we left the barn for shows and the like I always had to spray them.

#9 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

I'm not sure if it works for flies but the vet has us give a cup a day in feed to help prevent stones.

We use the Fly Predators and while we still have the lil suckers we have a LOT less than most places around

#10 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

I went and read up on Apple cidar vinger. It sounds like both ways works.. It was very interesting it seems Apple cidar vinger helps with a lot of differnt things. You ought to go do a search on it..

Thanks all [Smiley Wavey]

#11 Greyson_Crazin

Greyson_Crazin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

I actually use it with my gelding because the flies are really attracted to him for some reason! It also helps with arthritus apparently. I normally put 1/4 cup in his evening feed. I think its great, and he likes it too!

#12 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

[Cool] Yep, same here.

Our older gelding gets about 1/3 cup in his even ing feed for both the flys and to try and keep the stones away. Calif water has so much magnesium and other salts, the horses can get stones very easily. My Arab mare likes the viegar so much she has even tried to push the gelding out of his bucket.. Like that is going to work!! [Wink] She gets less processed feed than the gelding as she is "Hot" enough with out the carb overload..LOL But she does get the acv in the evening with her carrots and oats. I am going to try the cider in the water thing starting today as the flys, even with predators and traps are really biting beasts. [Mad]

#13 rattusrat

rattusrat

The Red(neck) Power Ranger Loves Me!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,418 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

If you water in a bath tub sized trough with auto-refill, how much vinegar would you put in it and how often? [Question]

#14 june bug

june bug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

I tried giving 1/4 cup last night chloe loved it, but sweetie my finiky eater refused to eat and ended up eating half her bucket of feed.I'd still like to give it to her, maybe she will get used to it.

#15 june bug

june bug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

I found this on google search for fly spray for apple cider vinegar
Fly Repellent

Waiter, there's a fly in my..on my horse! Flies - one of life's biggest nuisances, especially if you're a horse. There are many great commercial fly sprays, but here are some home-made alternatives. **Remember to check with your vet before putting anything on your equine friends.**
Fact: When using citronella in a recipe, be SURE to use only 100% PURE Citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 1:
Combine ingredients and use in spray bottle.
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup Avon Skin So Soft
1 Tablespoon eucalyptus oil

Fly Repellent 2:
2 cups mineral oil
cup lemon juice
2 tsp. Citronella oil
2 teaspoon eucalyptus oil
2 teaspoon lemon dish detergent

Fly Repellent 3:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz citronella oil
2 oz Avon Skin So Soft

Fly Repellent 4:
Mix one part citronella oil with seven parts water. If the flies are particularly bad, mix four parts water to one part citronella oil.

Fly Repellent 5:
Combine ingredients and use in spray bottle
2 Tablespoons dish soap
2 cups water
cup white vinegar

Fly Repellent 6:
15 oz water
5 oz commercial fly spray
5 oz vinegar
2 oz dish soap
2 oz vegetable oil

Fly Repellent 7:
Add six ounces of Skin So Soft to spray bottle full of water.

Internal Fly Repellents:
Add cup of apple cider vinegar to your horses grain OR mix 1 cups white vinegar for every 75 gallons of water in your horses water tub. Start one of these procedures about a week before fly season begins and continue throughout the season. These are old time recipes that have been handed down through generations of horse folks!

OK, the horse is taken car of, now what about those flies bombing you every time you walk into the barn? Try out this nifty fly catcher - flies buzz in, but they don't buzz out!
Fly Catcher:
3 cups of water
cup sugar
cup white vinegar
Fill a quart jar with mixture and punch hole sin the lid. Leave jars where flies are annoying!

#16 hansonmkusa

hansonmkusa

Qtr Horse Lvr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Fly Repellent 5:
2 Tablespoons dish soap
2 cups water
cup white vinegar

Fly Repellent 6:
15 oz water
5 oz commercial fly spray
5 oz vinegar
2 oz dish soap
2 oz vegetable oil

I have used these two recipes above with pretty good results...I live here in Gonzales, Texas where the flies are really bad right now. And the one with just the (Dawn)soap - 2 oz, veg. oil - 2 oz and vinegar - 5 oz with 15 oz of water in a spray bottle did great on my quarter horse. I also used the vinegar in the water treatment but he would not drink the water? So I just use the spray bottle method. I plan on using the apple cider vinegar in the feed starting tomorrow!

#17 Vee

Vee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

Marvin Bug gets 1/2 a cupful daily..

But.. I have noticed way less flies in his stall lately.. It seems to work and he likes the taste in his food

As far as fly spray goes? Nothing seems to work.. I've sprayed Bronco right on the fly and it still sat on the horses' leg.. The only thing that works around here is RAID!!

[ 07-17-2006, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Vee ]

#18 june bug

june bug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

The flies have been really bad this year, i've tried a slew of sprays, endure helps a little bit. One of my horses is being treated for sweet itch,We have started using mtg for that but someone told me to try apple cider vinegar for the flies, should i use it as a spray or put it in their feed or both?

[ 07-16-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: june bug ]

#19 horsecrazy1234

horsecrazy1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

When I used apple cider vinegar for my horses, I put a cap or 2 full of it in there water. I should probably go back to using it..lol [Smiley Wavey]

#20 G&K'Smom

G&K'Smom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

We put it into their evening pellets. I use 1/4 cup per day. They love the stuff.

I've read where some people swear by the unprocessed stuff, but I've had good luck with the regular stuff you buy at the grocery store. The unprocessed cider is not easy to find where I am.

#21 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

Horsecrazy, I am guessing that it worked well for you. Other wise you would not be thinking about starting to use it again.

The flies are horrible here.. I have used wipe on the horses as much as I can, but one of ours is A Mustang unbroke. I have been trying to figure out something to use for her.

Is the apple cider vinger the stuff you buy at the grocery store?

Well, I hope you all didn't mind me asking.

Thank you [Smiley Wavey]

#22 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yes, it is just the plain apple cider vinegar. I usually just pour some into their feed 2 times a day. It really helped a lot!! [Wink]

#23 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

Thank you!!! I think I will give it a try.. [Smiley Wavey]

#24 horseloverz

horseloverz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Does it help the flies when you put it in there grain? or when you spray it on them? [Surrender] I've tryed alot of fly spray but non really seem to work on the horse flies.. [Surrender]

#25 horsecrazy1234

horsecrazy1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

horseloverz- you can put it in their grain and water. I also know there is a fly spray that you can make that has it in it. Although I dont remember the rest of the items put in it.

Country...Girl- yes, it worked good. Throughout the summer I poured more and more into the water since the flys did get worse. I used this along with other things for the flys. I used the vinegar in the water, garlic in the feed, and I never fly sprayed them when I rode at the barn. When we left the barn for shows and the like I always had to spray them.

#26 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

I'm not sure if it works for flies but the vet has us give a cup a day in feed to help prevent stones.

We use the Fly Predators and while we still have the lil suckers we have a LOT less than most places around

#27 Country...Girl

Country...Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

I went and read up on Apple cidar vinger. It sounds like both ways works.. It was very interesting it seems Apple cidar vinger helps with a lot of differnt things. You ought to go do a search on it..

Thanks all [Smiley Wavey]

#28 Greyson_Crazin

Greyson_Crazin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

I actually use it with my gelding because the flies are really attracted to him for some reason! It also helps with arthritus apparently. I normally put 1/4 cup in his evening feed. I think its great, and he likes it too!

#29 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

[Cool] Yep, same here.

Our older gelding gets about 1/3 cup in his even ing feed for both the flys and to try and keep the stones away. Calif water has so much magnesium and other salts, the horses can get stones very easily. My Arab mare likes the viegar so much she has even tried to push the gelding out of his bucket.. Like that is going to work!! [Wink] She gets less processed feed than the gelding as she is "Hot" enough with out the carb overload..LOL But she does get the acv in the evening with her carrots and oats. I am going to try the cider in the water thing starting today as the flys, even with predators and traps are really biting beasts. [Mad]

#30 rattusrat

rattusrat

The Red(neck) Power Ranger Loves Me!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,418 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

If you water in a bath tub sized trough with auto-refill, how much vinegar would you put in it and how often? [Question]