13 replies to this topic

#1 eemc20072007

eemc20072007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi. I gave this block to my OTTB the other day. Within two days, it was all gone. Does this mean that my horse is lacking somewhere in his diet? I would imagine it is pretty good because all of the other horses loved it, but my ottb gobbled his up. Is this normal? This is the link to the block I gave him.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=...productID=15977

#2 YEE-HAW

YEE-HAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hello [Smiley Wavey]

I haven't used that particular block but I use MoorMan's Grow Strong quad-block.

At first, my horses would eat them in a matter of days also. Then, things slowed down (as far as the eating them went) and now they last for months. I do keep salt available, free choice, as well.

But I will tell you, their hooves started to grow faster, coat condition improved, weight was easier to keep on them and they just seemed to feel "on top of the world".

I would say it is normal until they get what they need and then they should slow way down on it. I know mine did, thank god. If they would have kept up at that pace, I'd have been broke. [Wink]

#3 Rhiatta1090

Rhiatta1090

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

I use same block that you use EEMC funny though, I have quite a few....There are two other horses on my property, and they each have their individual blocks in their stall..then there is the "community" block [Big Grin] outside....

One of the mares(she is an OTTB) has one in her feeder because for some reason she likes it with her grain(I know weird)..she is really the only one that consitently uses the blocks...The other ones don't really lick them....I might have to buy a new ones every other month or so...if that fast...so I don't know if its because they have grain and hay and so on.. I know they like them because I catch them everyonce in awhile using it. But each horse is a little different with the block

About your horse that it is fine, however, it may mean that they are missing something in their diet in general. Can I ask what you are feeding them?

#4 ChristianCanChaser

ChristianCanChaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

We feed those blocks and when we started they were eatting one a day. Now they have slowed down a whole lot, which is great! It did take a while though. The do look a WHOLE lot better!!!

#5 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

The Dumor horse block is tied together with molasses, hence the overdosing on the sweet treat. I switched over to loose minerals instead because I couldn't keep up to the DUMOR blocks for my five horses.

#6 hrsluvr

hrsluvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

eemc- I have the same problem w/ my mare. I give her that exact block whenever i go to tsc, and in 2 days it is gone. She is the only that is in the field. I've wondered the same thing before. I just get them for her once in a while, kinda as a treat. She has a salt block too.

#7 eemc20072007

eemc20072007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:
I use same block that you use EEMC funny though, I have quite a few....There are two other horses on my property, and they each have their individual blocks in their stall..then there is the "community" block [Big Grin] outside....

One of the mares(she is an OTTB) has one in her feeder because for some reason she likes it with her grain(I know weird)..she is really the only one that consitently uses the blocks...The other ones don't really lick them....I might have to buy a new ones every other month or so...if that fast...so I don't know if its because they have grain and hay and so on.. I know they like them because I catch them everyonce in awhile using it. But each horse is a little different with the block

About your horse that it is fine, however, it may mean that they are missing something in their diet in general. Can I ask what you are feeding them?

They are all eating the HDF pellets by Seminole feed. It is 13 and 5 percent. They aren't colic prone but I wanted a feed for my OTTB that was enough fat for him, but it has less starch then most feeds, so, it wouldn't make him hot.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess it is just that good. [Big Grin] Maybe once he gets it more often, he will slow it down a bit.

#8 eemc20072007

eemc20072007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi. I gave this block to my OTTB the other day. Within two days, it was all gone. Does this mean that my horse is lacking somewhere in his diet? I would imagine it is pretty good because all of the other horses loved it, but my ottb gobbled his up. Is this normal? This is the link to the block I gave him.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=...productID=15977

#9 YEE-HAW

YEE-HAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hello [Smiley Wavey]

I haven't used that particular block but I use MoorMan's Grow Strong quad-block.

At first, my horses would eat them in a matter of days also. Then, things slowed down (as far as the eating them went) and now they last for months. I do keep salt available, free choice, as well.

But I will tell you, their hooves started to grow faster, coat condition improved, weight was easier to keep on them and they just seemed to feel "on top of the world".

I would say it is normal until they get what they need and then they should slow way down on it. I know mine did, thank god. If they would have kept up at that pace, I'd have been broke. [Wink]

#10 Rhiatta1090

Rhiatta1090

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

#11 ChristianCanChaser

ChristianCanChaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

We feed those blocks and when we started they were eatting one a day. Now they have slowed down a whole lot, which is great! It did take a while though. The do look a WHOLE lot better!!!

#12 Remmie

Remmie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

The Dumor horse block is tied together with molasses, hence the overdosing on the sweet treat. I switched over to loose minerals instead because I couldn't keep up to the DUMOR blocks for my five horses.

#13 hrsluvr

hrsluvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

eemc- I have the same problem w/ my mare. I give her that exact block whenever i go to tsc, and in 2 days it is gone. She is the only that is in the field. I've wondered the same thing before. I just get them for her once in a while, kinda as a treat. She has a salt block too.

#14 eemc20072007

eemc20072007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:

They are all eating the HDF pellets by Seminole feed. It is 13 and 5 percent. They aren't colic prone but I wanted a feed for my OTTB that was enough fat for him, but it has less starch then most feeds, so, it wouldn't make him hot.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess it is just that good. [Big Grin] Maybe once he gets it more often, he will slow it down a bit.