• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:24 AM

ok so i purchased a 5yr OTTB at the end of april. I had two vet checks done and i was told by the vets that hes in good shape. He didnt come right off the track to me, he had some training for a few months first. So after about a month of riding him, i noticed near the end of may that his knee was popped out a bit, like not flat. I also have pictures of the day i got him that both knees were flat, but now the right knee is popped out a bit. He was in the pasture 24/7 with a few all other horses, and hes definitly at the bottom of the pecking order, he always comes in with a new bite mark everyday. So i thought maybe he got kicked. Well anyways he never came up lame or sore. When i touch it its squeshy, like filled with liquid. So i didnt get the vet out. Instead i didnt rider him for about 6 weeks, i lounged him some days of the week.

Than at the beginning of July i moved and now he is stalled most of the time, and i ride him about 4-5 days a week just w/t/c, and cross rails once a week with my trainer. He never came up lame, no heat, no stiffness , no soreness... So im just wondering what it is??....and how could i get rid of it?...it hasnt changed in size since ive noticed it....

Here are a few pictures of what the knee looks like now, but these pictures were taken back in june. Hes also still very skinny and we are trying our best to fatten him up.

#2 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

sry here are the pictures:

-

-

#3 440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

Looks like a concussion injury, possibly from jumping? After this long, you probably should have a vet look at it. If it were going to get better, the 6 weeks off should have remedied it. You might try cold hosing it twice a day, about 20 minutes a time. Pressure bandage may help, having it drained would be a good idea, just to see if there is blood in there.

#4 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

well i didnt give him 6 weeks off to do nothing, i just lounged him a couple of times during the week, did not ride him....how do i drain the liquid from his knee?...should i get the vet out to do it?
It could be from jumping, since the footing isnt the softest, the highest i was jumping him was btw 2'3-2'6, but most the time it was crossrails and a little vertical.

#5 Got_Barrels?

Got_Barrels?

Let'r fall butterball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

My little 13yo barrel mare has the same thing but she has them on both knees.Hers is from old injuries and know they are hard, but if it is soft you may want to go to your vet and ask him/her to draw the fluid out of it. and if it gets hard it is just a calicum build up and it is protecting an old injury. But its up to you.

#6 pnygrl01

pnygrl01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I work at a Thoroughbred track, and it looks to me like he might have bumped it on something, or gotten kicked. If he hasn't been lame on it, and there is no heat, I would say he bumped it. One of my horses banged his knee on the stall gate, and it looks like that. If it doesn't bother him, no lamness or heat, and it is not getting bigger, I wouldn't worry about it. The vet could drain it, but since that is an invasive procedure, you do run a risk of irritating it, and making him sore. If he does have heat in it, icing it, cold water, or poultice will draw that out.

#7 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

I would lay odds on a hygroma, where in some manner the joint capsule gets torn and leaks synovial fluid in the surrounding tissues. Having the area tapped by your veterinarian will give you an answer. If it is a hygroma, they're more cosmetic than anything and can be corrected if desired, but usually are not.

#8 frajya

frajya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

I have a 12yr thoroughbred mare, that from what I have been told from the people that I got her from, was on the race track. My mare has the same thing. It's never hot, never get's and bigger then it already is, never hurts her to poke and prod at it, and never goes lame due to the squishy lump. The only time it does something is when she has banged really bad, it swells a little, all I do is cold hose it for the day and then it is fine the next day. Vet says that it is just an old race injury. [Wink]

#9 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:24 AM

ok so i purchased a 5yr OTTB at the end of april. I had two vet checks done and i was told by the vets that hes in good shape. He didnt come right off the track to me, he had some training for a few months first. So after about a month of riding him, i noticed near the end of may that his knee was popped out a bit, like not flat. I also have pictures of the day i got him that both knees were flat, but now the right knee is popped out a bit. He was in the pasture 24/7 with a few all other horses, and hes definitly at the bottom of the pecking order, he always comes in with a new bite mark everyday. So i thought maybe he got kicked. Well anyways he never came up lame or sore. When i touch it its squeshy, like filled with liquid. So i didnt get the vet out. Instead i didnt rider him for about 6 weeks, i lounged him some days of the week.

Than at the beginning of July i moved and now he is stalled most of the time, and i ride him about 4-5 days a week just w/t/c, and cross rails once a week with my trainer. He never came up lame, no heat, no stiffness , no soreness... So im just wondering what it is??....and how could i get rid of it?...it hasnt changed in size since ive noticed it....

Here are a few pictures of what the knee looks like now, but these pictures were taken back in june. Hes also still very skinny and we are trying our best to fatten him up.

#10 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

sry here are the pictures:

-

-

#11 440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

Looks like a concussion injury, possibly from jumping? After this long, you probably should have a vet look at it. If it were going to get better, the 6 weeks off should have remedied it. You might try cold hosing it twice a day, about 20 minutes a time. Pressure bandage may help, having it drained would be a good idea, just to see if there is blood in there.

#12 better_left_unsaid

better_left_unsaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

well i didnt give him 6 weeks off to do nothing, i just lounged him a couple of times during the week, did not ride him....how do i drain the liquid from his knee?...should i get the vet out to do it?
It could be from jumping, since the footing isnt the softest, the highest i was jumping him was btw 2'3-2'6, but most the time it was crossrails and a little vertical.

#13 Got_Barrels?

Got_Barrels?

Let'r fall butterball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

My little 13yo barrel mare has the same thing but she has them on both knees.Hers is from old injuries and know they are hard, but if it is soft you may want to go to your vet and ask him/her to draw the fluid out of it. and if it gets hard it is just a calicum build up and it is protecting an old injury. But its up to you.

#14 pnygrl01

pnygrl01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I work at a Thoroughbred track, and it looks to me like he might have bumped it on something, or gotten kicked. If he hasn't been lame on it, and there is no heat, I would say he bumped it. One of my horses banged his knee on the stall gate, and it looks like that. If it doesn't bother him, no lamness or heat, and it is not getting bigger, I wouldn't worry about it. The vet could drain it, but since that is an invasive procedure, you do run a risk of irritating it, and making him sore. If he does have heat in it, icing it, cold water, or poultice will draw that out.

#15 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

I would lay odds on a hygroma, where in some manner the joint capsule gets torn and leaks synovial fluid in the surrounding tissues. Having the area tapped by your veterinarian will give you an answer. If it is a hygroma, they're more cosmetic than anything and can be corrected if desired, but usually are not.

#16 frajya

frajya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

I have a 12yr thoroughbred mare, that from what I have been told from the people that I got her from, was on the race track. My mare has the same thing. It's never hot, never get's and bigger then it already is, never hurts her to poke and prod at it, and never goes lame due to the squishy lump. The only time it does something is when she has banged really bad, it swells a little, all I do is cold hose it for the day and then it is fine the next day. Vet says that it is just an old race injury. [Wink]