13 replies to this topic

#1 Tuckit

Tuckit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

My mare, Tia, has very bad heat cycles. She throws her hips into the wall, and leans against it, squealing and kicking. We've had her vet checked, palpated, ultrasounded, the works. Everyting seems to be normal. The main thing is, that she squeals and screams so loud while she's throwing her hips into the wall at night, that it not only wakes us up, but we've had neighbors call, asking if our horses were okay, because they heard 'the most awful sounds coming from your barn'.

I'm wondering, is there any supplements I could give her to calm her down? I refuse to give her Regumate, heard of too many bad experiances with that. I'm also NOT going to put a marble in her. I'm terrified to do that. My vet really wanted to put one in her a few years ago, and I told him no way were we doing that. That I had heard on here that SEVERAL people had problems trying to get the marble out, because it adhered to the uterine wall, and was attacked as a foreign object in the body, and the body attempted to break it down, making it extremely difficult to get out. He said that was ridiculous, and that he'd never heard such a thing. Well, next spring rolls around, and he tells me he's glad he didn't put a marble in Tia, as he had a very difficult time getting marbles out of some of a couple of mares that he DID put them in. So, that's my reason for not wanting to do that.

I just want to give her a supplement that will calm her down, keep her from waking up the neighborhood, but that is relatively safe. I heard Raspberry leaves would work? Where would you get them? Are there any other supplements that might work?

Thanks in advance for the help! [Smiley Wavey]

#2 CMR0216

CMR0216

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

Wendals makes a product called Moody Mare.

#3 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

I've had varying responses to herbal preparations, including raspberry leaf and Moody mare (which contains raspberry leaf I do believe). Works great for some, not so great for others.

Ask about Depo Provera injections.

#4 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:22 PM

I think I would try the Moody Mare or a like suppliment. I don't think it would hurt and it may just help her.

CVM mentioned depo provera. I know in humans it stops thier menstral cycle, faking your body into thinking it is pregnant. Wouldn't that be the same as regumate? Just asking as I have no clue!

#5 CowGirl2002

CowGirl2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

My Mare was doing the same thing she would through her self against the walls of the stall and just squeal......later to find out she was having and attitude problem...every time she would see us come into the barn she would go nuts and we would drop every thing and go correct her telling her no dont do that and about 2 weeks of that she hasnt done it sence + we are giving her magic mare...it works good we dont give it to her all the time but it works for her. It calms her down we mostly give it to her when she is in heat.

#6 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

Try breeder pak by Dynmite (sp?) supplements...it has worked wonders with my horses and it is all natural.

#7 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

Mare Magic.

That stuff is amazing!!!

#8 Tuckit

Tuckit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

My mare, Tia, has very bad heat cycles. She throws her hips into the wall, and leans against it, squealing and kicking. We've had her vet checked, palpated, ultrasounded, the works. Everyting seems to be normal. The main thing is, that she squeals and screams so loud while she's throwing her hips into the wall at night, that it not only wakes us up, but we've had neighbors call, asking if our horses were okay, because they heard 'the most awful sounds coming from your barn'.

I'm wondering, is there any supplements I could give her to calm her down? I refuse to give her Regumate, heard of too many bad experiances with that. I'm also NOT going to put a marble in her. I'm terrified to do that. My vet really wanted to put one in her a few years ago, and I told him no way were we doing that. That I had heard on here that SEVERAL people had problems trying to get the marble out, because it adhered to the uterine wall, and was attacked as a foreign object in the body, and the body attempted to break it down, making it extremely difficult to get out. He said that was ridiculous, and that he'd never heard such a thing. Well, next spring rolls around, and he tells me he's glad he didn't put a marble in Tia, as he had a very difficult time getting marbles out of some of a couple of mares that he DID put them in. So, that's my reason for not wanting to do that.

I just want to give her a supplement that will calm her down, keep her from waking up the neighborhood, but that is relatively safe. I heard Raspberry leaves would work? Where would you get them? Are there any other supplements that might work?

Thanks in advance for the help! [Smiley Wavey]

#9 CMR0216

CMR0216

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

Wendals makes a product called Moody Mare.

#10 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

I've had varying responses to herbal preparations, including raspberry leaf and Moody mare (which contains raspberry leaf I do believe). Works great for some, not so great for others.

Ask about Depo Provera injections.

#11 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:22 PM

I think I would try the Moody Mare or a like suppliment. I don't think it would hurt and it may just help her.

CVM mentioned depo provera. I know in humans it stops thier menstral cycle, faking your body into thinking it is pregnant. Wouldn't that be the same as regumate? Just asking as I have no clue!

#12 CowGirl2002

CowGirl2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

My Mare was doing the same thing she would through her self against the walls of the stall and just squeal......later to find out she was having and attitude problem...every time she would see us come into the barn she would go nuts and we would drop every thing and go correct her telling her no dont do that and about 2 weeks of that she hasnt done it sence + we are giving her magic mare...it works good we dont give it to her all the time but it works for her. It calms her down we mostly give it to her when she is in heat.

#13 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

Try breeder pak by Dynmite (sp?) supplements...it has worked wonders with my horses and it is all natural.

#14 shawneebaby89

shawneebaby89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

Mare Magic.

That stuff is amazing!!!