• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

My farrier recommended I put keratex on my horses feet during this wet season to protect hooves from damp. I'm a bad girl, I haven't bought any yet. [Embarrassed] any ways, my question is, do they really need it?
BTW my horses have no feet issues and stay shod and trimmed every 6 weeks all year. They have great feet.
Does anyone use this prduct? And if so, do you like it? Thanx

#2 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

They may not need it, but I've found it very useful for damp/muddy conditions.

I've used both the hoof hardener AND the Gel- I like the gel a little better because you can use it around the frog, so it helps prevent thrush as well.

Both products repel water from the hoof to help keep it strong and tough.

IMO it's one of the best topical products on the market (another I like is Birdsall's "farrier barrier" which I'm unfortunately out of). But as to whether your specific horses need it or not, it's up to you. I imagine if your farrier recommended it, it may be because as he was trimming the foot he found it quite "soggy" (those are the conditions under which my farrier tells me to use it, anyway).

I don't think it would hurt, but I understand the hesitation, as it's a pricey product!

#3 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

Thanx Goldentoes, I didn't think it was that bad in price. Will Rainmaker work as well? I have 2 jugs of that stuff!

#4 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Rainmaker is more a "lotion"- it doesn't do anything to repel water from the hoof (that I know of), so it wouldn't have the same results.

Some good reading on the theory behind keratex:

keratex history

note: "These oils soften and weaken the horn. They have a tendency to replace natural moisture and prevent the hoof from breathing by sealing the structure. We were able to conclude that oil and grease-based conditioners provided no positive benefit to hoof health. In fact they were undesirable due to the way in which they compromise horn quality."

Granted, they're trying to sell the stuff, but my farrier agrees with their assessment, as do many others (poke around on horseshoes.com and you'll see it mentioned a lot)

#5 Barnrat

Barnrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

I know my old TB gelding had very shelly hooves and was prone to stone bruises. My vet recommened Keretex to harden his hoof wall and soul to pervent the brusises and cracks. For me it worked very well and repaired his hoofs in about a month but strengthened the hoof in about two weeks.

I used Keretex also while using rainmaker (vet rec.) Keretex would be applied to the lower portion of the toe and soul. The rainmaker then would be applied to the coranary band, frog, and hoof bulbs. It worked for me.

The only thing about it is it is a pain to apply every day or everyother day and it is expensive (around $50)

#6 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

My farrier HATES Rainmakers, and advises against using ANY petroleum based products on hooves. For moisturizing, anything with lanolin or beeswax is good.

Tracy

#7 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

Karatex is a hoof hardner and is very good for soft feet or horses that are in damp or wet pastures. It can also help cracked shelly feet as well. Good nutrition with added hoof supplement like farriers formula or horseshoers secret work well in combination.

I don't recommend rainmaker or other moisturizers for soft feet, it works better for the very dry painted on the soles. People think painting it on the hoof walls does something but it does nothing because the hoof wall has a natural coating on it that keeps stuff out and the moisture from the inside and bottom in. Thats why when I'm trimming or shoeing I will rarely touch the wall of the foot with my rasp. The periople is the area below the coranary band and is a protective layer below that is the tectorial which is another thin layer of protective horn, this is what should not be rasped off...some farriers will rasp this off but I've found if I leave it the hoof wall is more protected. I don't have any horses with white line or cracks.

[ 11-18-2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Horseshoe ]

#8 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thanx guys! And thak you horseshoe! My horses feet aren't bruised or soft yet. My farrier thought it would help to prevent them from getting that way! Horseshoe, my horses are both on Triple Crown feed and my barrel horse gets healthy coat. Both feed and supplement have Biotin and things to help hoof and coat. Is this enough?

#9 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

The Horse Journal (like Consumer's Reports for horses) highly recommends Keratex.

#10 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

Triple Crown is an excellent feed, its actually what I feed. If you think your horse needs a hoof supplement the ones I recommend are farriers formula or Horseshoers secret. TC feeds has all the supplements and minerals in it thats why I love that feed. The horses I got from TX and MO didn't have good feet but since they've been here the growth has dramatically increased. Covergirl has to be reshod every 4 1/2 to 5 weeks because she grows so much like almost an inch.

#11 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

My farrier recommended I put keratex on my horses feet during this wet season to protect hooves from damp. I'm a bad girl, I haven't bought any yet. [Embarrassed] any ways, my question is, do they really need it?
BTW my horses have no feet issues and stay shod and trimmed every 6 weeks all year. They have great feet.
Does anyone use this prduct? And if so, do you like it? Thanx

#12 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

They may not need it, but I've found it very useful for damp/muddy conditions.

I've used both the hoof hardener AND the Gel- I like the gel a little better because you can use it around the frog, so it helps prevent thrush as well.

Both products repel water from the hoof to help keep it strong and tough.

IMO it's one of the best topical products on the market (another I like is Birdsall's "farrier barrier" which I'm unfortunately out of). But as to whether your specific horses need it or not, it's up to you. I imagine if your farrier recommended it, it may be because as he was trimming the foot he found it quite "soggy" (those are the conditions under which my farrier tells me to use it, anyway).

I don't think it would hurt, but I understand the hesitation, as it's a pricey product!

#13 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

Thanx Goldentoes, I didn't think it was that bad in price. Will Rainmaker work as well? I have 2 jugs of that stuff!

#14 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Rainmaker is more a "lotion"- it doesn't do anything to repel water from the hoof (that I know of), so it wouldn't have the same results.

Some good reading on the theory behind keratex:

keratex history

note: "These oils soften and weaken the horn. They have a tendency to replace natural moisture and prevent the hoof from breathing by sealing the structure. We were able to conclude that oil and grease-based conditioners provided no positive benefit to hoof health. In fact they were undesirable due to the way in which they compromise horn quality."

Granted, they're trying to sell the stuff, but my farrier agrees with their assessment, as do many others (poke around on horseshoes.com and you'll see it mentioned a lot)

#15 Barnrat

Barnrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

I know my old TB gelding had very shelly hooves and was prone to stone bruises. My vet recommened Keretex to harden his hoof wall and soul to pervent the brusises and cracks. For me it worked very well and repaired his hoofs in about a month but strengthened the hoof in about two weeks.

I used Keretex also while using rainmaker (vet rec.) Keretex would be applied to the lower portion of the toe and soul. The rainmaker then would be applied to the coranary band, frog, and hoof bulbs. It worked for me.

The only thing about it is it is a pain to apply every day or everyother day and it is expensive (around $50)

#16 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

My farrier HATES Rainmakers, and advises against using ANY petroleum based products on hooves. For moisturizing, anything with lanolin or beeswax is good.

Tracy

#17 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

Karatex is a hoof hardner and is very good for soft feet or horses that are in damp or wet pastures. It can also help cracked shelly feet as well. Good nutrition with added hoof supplement like farriers formula or horseshoers secret work well in combination.

I don't recommend rainmaker or other moisturizers for soft feet, it works better for the very dry painted on the soles. People think painting it on the hoof walls does something but it does nothing because the hoof wall has a natural coating on it that keeps stuff out and the moisture from the inside and bottom in. Thats why when I'm trimming or shoeing I will rarely touch the wall of the foot with my rasp. The periople is the area below the coranary band and is a protective layer below that is the tectorial which is another thin layer of protective horn, this is what should not be rasped off...some farriers will rasp this off but I've found if I leave it the hoof wall is more protected. I don't have any horses with white line or cracks.

[ 11-18-2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Horseshoe ]

#18 cowgirl4975

cowgirl4975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thanx guys! And thak you horseshoe! My horses feet aren't bruised or soft yet. My farrier thought it would help to prevent them from getting that way! Horseshoe, my horses are both on Triple Crown feed and my barrel horse gets healthy coat. Both feed and supplement have Biotin and things to help hoof and coat. Is this enough?

#19 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

The Horse Journal (like Consumer's Reports for horses) highly recommends Keratex.

#20 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

Triple Crown is an excellent feed, its actually what I feed. If you think your horse needs a hoof supplement the ones I recommend are farriers formula or Horseshoers secret. TC feeds has all the supplements and minerals in it thats why I love that feed. The horses I got from TX and MO didn't have good feet but since they've been here the growth has dramatically increased. Covergirl has to be reshod every 4 1/2 to 5 weeks because she grows so much like almost an inch.