11 replies to this topic

#1 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Can you feed cotton seed safely? Does it have properties similar to flax seed?

I can't really seem to find any credible info googling this, so I want to hear if anyone here does it. I do think that it is very fiberous so this would be a concern for me. I'm researching alternate resources for Omega 3s and similar properties.

#2 desert rider

desert rider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have no idea what the nutritional qualities of cotton seed are. I know that around here it is often fed to cattle along with their hay, but I've never seen it given to horses.

#3 Trigger's Gal

Trigger's Gal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Cotton seed hulls are indigestible by horses. In fact feeding them may block the absorbsion of other nutrients fed to the horse.

A few years ago Nutrena began using cotton seed hulls in a reformulation of their grain in my area. My horses lost weight dramatically and with seemingly no explanation. After thousands in vet bills, suppliments, and additional feed I finally sent feed samples in for testing. The result was cotton seed hulls used and labeled as plant by product. The nutrition expert advised me on the problems of feeding cotton seed & hulls to horses. I in turn advised Nutrena.

It took 5 months to repair the damage to my horses. 6 boarders left over it. Nutrena has since stopped using cotton seed hulls and my horses look FABULOUS again!!!

#4 ..::Felda::..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Trigger's Gal, that's interesting. I'll need to look more on it. How much of the feed constituted cotton seed?

I've talked to my previous BO about this and he said that he used to feed whole cotton seed to his horses when it was easily available. He told me that you can't feed much at one time; so he fed about a handful per day. That may have been Nutrena's problem. They might have incorporated too much of the seed into their feeds.

So far, other than what my previous BO mentioned along with a few people that also agreed with him, I don't know if I would take the risk. I was expecting that the hull would be indigestable so I figured that I would have to grind to a powder before feeding it. I didn't know that it could inhibit absorption of other nutrients.

#5 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Around here, where it's readily available, it's only used as a cattle feed.

And considering that the cowboys around here, along with some others, feed as cheaply as possible would make it pop up in there somewhere as a feed unless it was unsafe.

Basically if it was good feed, they would feed it. As it's not fed to horses by those who have access to it I would think it unsafe.

I know that's a sad way to assess it but it has worked quite well in evaluating cheap feed around here. If even the cheap cowboys won't feed it, something has to be wrong with it.

Of course they won't feed beet pulp either, but that's just them avoiding uneccesary expenses.

Seems like you have received some more scientific advice than mine. Just wanted to add my two cents. [Wink]

Bethany

#6 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Any cottonseed product may or may not contain Gossypol Acid. It can be highly toxic to horses. I know people that have gotten by feeding cattle feed with cottonseed meal in it for years to horses that ran with their cattle only to have two die of kidney failure when they got a load that had a high level of Gossypol Acid in it.

It is not as good as Soybean meal otherwise, as soy has a much better amino acid profile - mostly because it is higher in Lysine. Soybeans should also be heated before being fed to horses because of possible toxic reactions to the urase in it - similar to urea chemically, I believe.

For these reasons, most feed manufacturers do not put any cottonseed products in horse feeds and only use processed (not raw) soybeans or soybean products.

We feed a lot of full fat extruded soybeans. It is great and the extrusion process breaks down the urase in it. It is 39% Protein and 18-19% fat.

#7 ..::Felda::..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Can you feed cotton seed safely? Does it have properties similar to flax seed?

I can't really seem to find any credible info googling this, so I want to hear if anyone here does it. I do think that it is very fiberous so this would be a concern for me. I'm researching alternate resources for Omega 3s and similar properties.

#8 desert rider

desert rider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have no idea what the nutritional qualities of cotton seed are. I know that around here it is often fed to cattle along with their hay, but I've never seen it given to horses.

#9 Trigger's Gal

Trigger's Gal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Cotton seed hulls are indigestible by horses. In fact feeding them may block the absorbsion of other nutrients fed to the horse.

A few years ago Nutrena began using cotton seed hulls in a reformulation of their grain in my area. My horses lost weight dramatically and with seemingly no explanation. After thousands in vet bills, suppliments, and additional feed I finally sent feed samples in for testing. The result was cotton seed hulls used and labeled as plant by product. The nutrition expert advised me on the problems of feeding cotton seed & hulls to horses. I in turn advised Nutrena.

It took 5 months to repair the damage to my horses. 6 boarders left over it. Nutrena has since stopped using cotton seed hulls and my horses look FABULOUS again!!!

#10 ..::Felda::..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Trigger's Gal, that's interesting. I'll need to look more on it. How much of the feed constituted cotton seed?

I've talked to my previous BO about this and he said that he used to feed whole cotton seed to his horses when it was easily available. He told me that you can't feed much at one time; so he fed about a handful per day. That may have been Nutrena's problem. They might have incorporated too much of the seed into their feeds.

So far, other than what my previous BO mentioned along with a few people that also agreed with him, I don't know if I would take the risk. I was expecting that the hull would be indigestable so I figured that I would have to grind to a powder before feeding it. I didn't know that it could inhibit absorption of other nutrients.

#11 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Around here, where it's readily available, it's only used as a cattle feed.

And considering that the cowboys around here, along with some others, feed as cheaply as possible would make it pop up in there somewhere as a feed unless it was unsafe.

Basically if it was good feed, they would feed it. As it's not fed to horses by those who have access to it I would think it unsafe.

I know that's a sad way to assess it but it has worked quite well in evaluating cheap feed around here. If even the cheap cowboys won't feed it, something has to be wrong with it.

Of course they won't feed beet pulp either, but that's just them avoiding uneccesary expenses.

Seems like you have received some more scientific advice than mine. Just wanted to add my two cents. [Wink]

Bethany

#12 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Any cottonseed product may or may not contain Gossypol Acid. It can be highly toxic to horses. I know people that have gotten by feeding cattle feed with cottonseed meal in it for years to horses that ran with their cattle only to have two die of kidney failure when they got a load that had a high level of Gossypol Acid in it.

It is not as good as Soybean meal otherwise, as soy has a much better amino acid profile - mostly because it is higher in Lysine. Soybeans should also be heated before being fed to horses because of possible toxic reactions to the urase in it - similar to urea chemically, I believe.

For these reasons, most feed manufacturers do not put any cottonseed products in horse feeds and only use processed (not raw) soybeans or soybean products.

We feed a lot of full fat extruded soybeans. It is great and the extrusion process breaks down the urase in it. It is 39% Protein and 18-19% fat.