21 replies to this topic

#1 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

It not unusual to be loved by anyone!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yeah yeah I know I am actually weaning the foal,..LOL,..but my question is,..have any of you had a mare get mastitis when weaning her colt?

I was wondering how big of a concern this is? We are trying to wean Achilles for the last time,..once and for all and they will now live completely separately until he is gelded(soon)and I was concerned about mastitis?

How do I prevent that? Warm washes on her bag?

I had hoped she would wean him herself because she was trying to kick out at him and they were seeing each other through the fence but now I have the electric fence back on and though it is going well mentally for both(mama was MORE than ready)and Achilles has Mega my gelding to play with,..I am concerned about her getting mastitis.

Just curious what to look for and what to do to help her since she proved to be a very clingy mama and wouldn't do it herself.

Thanks
Shelley

#2 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

If I'm remembering correctly isn't your foal a year old now? At this point the mare isn't (or at least shouldn't be) producing much milk so I wouldn't be too concerned about mastitis.

I weaned mine at 4 months, and my mares bag got huge and started to spray for a day or two. Then it just slowly started to go back down.

#3 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

No he's 9 months. We have been weaning off and on for a few months but mama was having fits and throwing herself into the fence so until I got the fence fixed couldn't keep them separated.

Baby is fine with it,..but mama would set herself so that he could nurse no matter what but he is way too old now to take a chance with him mounting her so I have no choice.

He is being gelded shortly,.just had to wait for all the "planet's to align" to get this resolved. [Roll Eyes]

They are both fine,..I was just told not to do it all at once,.but she is producing enough that her bag is all swelled up after 20 hrs apart.

With the electric fence on now there is no way either can get to each other so that solved THAT problem but I was worried about her because she is still dealing with a coronet abcess that grew out and is now almost at the toe and therefore has a bit of soreness so she isn't running and getting alot of exercise,...will that make a difference in how quickly that milk dissapates?

I mean she is not limping,.just kind of sensitive and is grazing,..but she isn't her normal active self so I didn't know if that made a difference to the bag or not.

Right now it is looking pretty full so I thought maybe a few warm water washes might help it relive the pressure a bit but didn't know how long to do that for or even if it would help?

Thanks
Shelley

#4 anniemae

anniemae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

At 9 months, the mare shouldn't be producing that much milk... wean the colt and let the mare get some exercise. She'll be fine in a week..

#5 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Once you wean them she'll probably perk up just from being nervous about being separated. Exercise should help the bag come down.

You're probably better off just leaving her bag alone for now. If it goes from fluid hard (like just being really full) to a more solid hard then maybe do some heat packs. Being full after 20 hrs. really isn't that bad. My mares was exploding after 4-6 hours. I went cold turkey as well. Loaded my foal up in the trailer and took her to a friend's place where my friend had another foal for mine to play with. My foal didn't skip a beat but my mare was a little upset for a few days.

[ 04-04-2007, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: The Blue Bullet ]

#6 BB Blue

BB Blue

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Shelley-I did not wean Sassy till she was 9months. Classy had a huge bag, like a milk cow. I cut her feed back before I separated them and then cut it out all together when I separated them. Her bag got even more huge and was dripping for 3 days. Then it slowly started going down. I did not try to put warm rags on it because if I even touched it, milk would squirt out. I could tell a big difference in her bag after a week.
Max's mom, Dakota was about the same way. Except she did not have as much milk as Classy.
The vet told me that it was pretty rare for the mare to get mastitis. Just to keep an eye on her udder.
Good luck! [Smiley Wavey]

#7 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

One thing that will also help to take the mare off grain all together. Drop her protein intake and she'll dry up quicker. Resist all urges to releave pressure on the udder and milk her out; you'll only stimulate more milk production. Monitor for heat in the udder.

#8 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thanks to all of you for the responses! They are both doing so well!

BBBlue,..I had cut out the feed not too long ago because they are not being used for anything right now and don't need all that so they have been on timothy hay and grass and I wasn't concerned about Achilles either because he was nursing so I knew he was getting enough protein from mama,..

but today I went out and bought him some Equine Junior(I had cut that out for a few months and he was growing like a weed anyway!)and will be giving him that at special mealtimes where it is just me and him because I want to get him ready to be stalled for his 24 hour watch period for his gelding. I made his gelding appt today and he will be gelded on the 27th! [Yay]

I will feel so much better not having a little stud colt running around with his mama!

The advantage to a filly is not worrying about the gelding and him mounting his mama!

I knew this day was coming and was dreading it but now I am so excited for him because his life will be so much easier without that pesky testosterone in his system!

Lilly's bag tonight looks like it did just before she foaled! It is HUGE! She must have been a really good producer!

I will watch it and make sure there isn't hard heat there over the next few days.

So far so good!

Shelley

[ 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Shelley and Andy Carter ]

#9 BB Blue

BB Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Oh, Shelley, I know what you mean. I weaned Max first at 8 months. He was with the mares and his half sister. Then when I weaned them, I put a 3yr old mare with them. She was not gonna put up with his antics so I did not have to worry about it.
He got gelded a month later.
[Smiley Wavey]

#10 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hey Shelley, how are you?!!

We do what CVM and BB said, I don't do anything but keep an eye on it. It does happen as I've had it happen but only 1 time out of 50 times.

#11 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hey horseshoe! Doing good! Thanks for asking!

Thank you to both CVM and horseshoe especially as I knwo their time is very limited,.. as well as the others,..I haven't touched the bag and have to say I am relieved to hear I don't need to!LOL

[Smiley Wavey]

43 hours and going good! No accidents with the fence,..no limping from either as though they were running the fenceline all night or anything,..so I think we did it this time!

Guess all of us were just ready!

Thanks
Shelley

#12 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yeah yeah I know I am actually weaning the foal,..LOL,..but my question is,..have any of you had a mare get mastitis when weaning her colt?

I was wondering how big of a concern this is? We are trying to wean Achilles for the last time,..once and for all and they will now live completely separately until he is gelded(soon)and I was concerned about mastitis?

How do I prevent that? Warm washes on her bag?

I had hoped she would wean him herself because she was trying to kick out at him and they were seeing each other through the fence but now I have the electric fence back on and though it is going well mentally for both(mama was MORE than ready)and Achilles has Mega my gelding to play with,..I am concerned about her getting mastitis.

Just curious what to look for and what to do to help her since she proved to be a very clingy mama and wouldn't do it herself.

Thanks
Shelley

#13 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

If I'm remembering correctly isn't your foal a year old now? At this point the mare isn't (or at least shouldn't be) producing much milk so I wouldn't be too concerned about mastitis.

I weaned mine at 4 months, and my mares bag got huge and started to spray for a day or two. Then it just slowly started to go back down.

#14 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

No he's 9 months. We have been weaning off and on for a few months but mama was having fits and throwing herself into the fence so until I got the fence fixed couldn't keep them separated.

Baby is fine with it,..but mama would set herself so that he could nurse no matter what but he is way too old now to take a chance with him mounting her so I have no choice.

He is being gelded shortly,.just had to wait for all the "planet's to align" to get this resolved. [Roll Eyes]

They are both fine,..I was just told not to do it all at once,.but she is producing enough that her bag is all swelled up after 20 hrs apart.

With the electric fence on now there is no way either can get to each other so that solved THAT problem but I was worried about her because she is still dealing with a coronet abcess that grew out and is now almost at the toe and therefore has a bit of soreness so she isn't running and getting alot of exercise,...will that make a difference in how quickly that milk dissapates?

I mean she is not limping,.just kind of sensitive and is grazing,..but she isn't her normal active self so I didn't know if that made a difference to the bag or not.

Right now it is looking pretty full so I thought maybe a few warm water washes might help it relive the pressure a bit but didn't know how long to do that for or even if it would help?

Thanks
Shelley

#15 anniemae

anniemae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

At 9 months, the mare shouldn't be producing that much milk... wean the colt and let the mare get some exercise. She'll be fine in a week..

#16 The Blue Bullet

The Blue Bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Once you wean them she'll probably perk up just from being nervous about being separated. Exercise should help the bag come down.

You're probably better off just leaving her bag alone for now. If it goes from fluid hard (like just being really full) to a more solid hard then maybe do some heat packs. Being full after 20 hrs. really isn't that bad. My mares was exploding after 4-6 hours. I went cold turkey as well. Loaded my foal up in the trailer and took her to a friend's place where my friend had another foal for mine to play with. My foal didn't skip a beat but my mare was a little upset for a few days.

[ 04-04-2007, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: The Blue Bullet ]

#17 BB Blue

BB Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Shelley-I did not wean Sassy till she was 9months. Classy had a huge bag, like a milk cow. I cut her feed back before I separated them and then cut it out all together when I separated them. Her bag got even more huge and was dripping for 3 days. Then it slowly started going down. I did not try to put warm rags on it because if I even touched it, milk would squirt out. I could tell a big difference in her bag after a week.
Max's mom, Dakota was about the same way. Except she did not have as much milk as Classy.
The vet told me that it was pretty rare for the mare to get mastitis. Just to keep an eye on her udder.
Good luck! [Smiley Wavey]

#18 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

One thing that will also help to take the mare off grain all together. Drop her protein intake and she'll dry up quicker. Resist all urges to releave pressure on the udder and milk her out; you'll only stimulate more milk production. Monitor for heat in the udder.

#19 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thanks to all of you for the responses! They are both doing so well!

BBBlue,..I had cut out the feed not too long ago because they are not being used for anything right now and don't need all that so they have been on timothy hay and grass and I wasn't concerned about Achilles either because he was nursing so I knew he was getting enough protein from mama,..

but today I went out and bought him some Equine Junior(I had cut that out for a few months and he was growing like a weed anyway!)and will be giving him that at special mealtimes where it is just me and him because I want to get him ready to be stalled for his 24 hour watch period for his gelding. I made his gelding appt today and he will be gelded on the 27th! [Yay]

I will feel so much better not having a little stud colt running around with his mama!

The advantage to a filly is not worrying about the gelding and him mounting his mama!

I knew this day was coming and was dreading it but now I am so excited for him because his life will be so much easier without that pesky testosterone in his system!

Lilly's bag tonight looks like it did just before she foaled! It is HUGE! She must have been a really good producer!

I will watch it and make sure there isn't hard heat there over the next few days.

So far so good!

Shelley

[ 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Shelley and Andy Carter ]

#20 BB Blue

BB Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Oh, Shelley, I know what you mean. I weaned Max first at 8 months. He was with the mares and his half sister. Then when I weaned them, I put a 3yr old mare with them. She was not gonna put up with his antics so I did not have to worry about it.
He got gelded a month later.
[Smiley Wavey]

#21 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hey Shelley, how are you?!!

We do what CVM and BB said, I don't do anything but keep an eye on it. It does happen as I've had it happen but only 1 time out of 50 times.

#22 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hey horseshoe! Doing good! Thanks for asking!

Thank you to both CVM and horseshoe especially as I knwo their time is very limited,.. as well as the others,..I haven't touched the bag and have to say I am relieved to hear I don't need to!LOL

[Smiley Wavey]

43 hours and going good! No accidents with the fence,..no limping from either as though they were running the fenceline all night or anything,..so I think we did it this time!

Guess all of us were just ready!

Thanks
Shelley