9 replies to this topic

#1 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

Can anyone point me towards information about using estrone or estrogen to help with stifles?

I have a gelding with some stifle issues. I'd like to do mroe research on the estrone before bringing it to my vet.

#2 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

anyone?

#3 knittypony

knittypony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

What have you heard? I've got a mare with an old stifle injury, she's healed, but I don't want problems to set in as she gets older.

#4 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

It depends on what the stifle situation is. Estrone has some limited use in SOME animals that have upward fixation of the patella (locking stifles). The idea being that under the influence of estrogen, the ligaments will loosen, such as when a female gives birth, the hormonal change causes the pelvis to relax.

There's no guarantee of how long the estrone will help and that you might not end up having to have surgery in the long run. For other stifle issues like arthritis, OCD, etc, its not going to do anything.

#5 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

thanks CVM. Horse is 10 yr. old QH gelding.

he had a pasture injury (slipped) and its become chronic. Then last summer he got a puncture wound right to the same stifle, vet said it missed the joint capsule but not by much.

He's just off, not what I would call lame but you can feel a slight offness about him. the vet flexed him last week and said he's sore on the right side only, left side flexed with no problems.

We had good luck in '05 with steroid injection (depo?). different vet does not want to do injections, would prefer legend. legend lasts us 2-3 weeks, the steroid gave us about 6 months. but the vet now would like to avoid the IA injections if at all possible and save those for last resort. younger vet is leary of causing arthritis due to too many IA injections.

Any ideas we'd love them!

#6 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

Can anyone point me towards information about using estrone or estrogen to help with stifles?

I have a gelding with some stifle issues. I'd like to do mroe research on the estrone before bringing it to my vet.

#7 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

anyone?

#8 knittypony

knittypony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

What have you heard? I've got a mare with an old stifle injury, she's healed, but I don't want problems to set in as she gets older.

#9 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

It depends on what the stifle situation is. Estrone has some limited use in SOME animals that have upward fixation of the patella (locking stifles). The idea being that under the influence of estrogen, the ligaments will loosen, such as when a female gives birth, the hormonal change causes the pelvis to relax.

There's no guarantee of how long the estrone will help and that you might not end up having to have surgery in the long run. For other stifle issues like arthritis, OCD, etc, its not going to do anything.

#10 PasoGirl

PasoGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

thanks CVM. Horse is 10 yr. old QH gelding.

he had a pasture injury (slipped) and its become chronic. Then last summer he got a puncture wound right to the same stifle, vet said it missed the joint capsule but not by much.

He's just off, not what I would call lame but you can feel a slight offness about him. the vet flexed him last week and said he's sore on the right side only, left side flexed with no problems.

We had good luck in '05 with steroid injection (depo?). different vet does not want to do injections, would prefer legend. legend lasts us 2-3 weeks, the steroid gave us about 6 months. but the vet now would like to avoid the IA injections if at all possible and save those for last resort. younger vet is leary of causing arthritis due to too many IA injections.

Any ideas we'd love them!