Quantcast

Photo

How long does coggins tests results take???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pgsus7

Pgsus7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hi, I am starting out a little late. I want to get coggins for my gelding to show locally. I just wanted to know on average or a ball park number how long it takes to get the vet out and get the results back? I know I'm a little late starting out. Thanks.

#2 Decembrr

Decembrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

How long it takes to get your vet out is kinda hard to answer... ask him!
[Razz]

Coggins results depend, also. Depends on the vet and whether some run their own lab or not. At our vet, we can pay more for quick results (in the mail to us the next day), or got he "cheap" route and wait a bit longer...but he sends the results within a week. He runs BOTH options the same way, since he does his own lab work... however, without paying the extra... they may sit a day or so until he "gets to them".

I'm not exactly sure HOW long it actually takes to run the test... as I know the vet goes to sale barns and can pull blood for coggins and have results before the sale since it's required for the sale.

All and all, I'd expect to have results mailed to you within a week. But, you'd have to ask your own vet what HIS timeline is.

#3 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

The actual test can be run in a day. Usually I get the results back in under a week. However, the last time, my vet's office had an incompetent tech they had hired to start doing "digital" Coggins - using a digital photograph instead of the standard horse drawing with markings indicated. It took over two weeks, and then I got the old-fashioned horse drawing results because the tech somehow deleted the digital photograph and I didn't want to wait for the vet to come out to take another photo - I, too, was under a deadline. You know - Murphy's Law.

#4 PunkinNMe

PunkinNMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

The fastest way to get coggins back out here is to haul your horse down to the local sale barn and have the vet there pull them for you.

It's illegal to sell a horse without a clear coggins, so most (if not all) sale barns have a vet there to pull and process the tests on site for horses that come in without them.

Here, they are $20 if you run your horse through the ring and $35 if you only want the test.

#5 Pgsus7

Pgsus7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hi, I am starting out a little late. I want to get coggins for my gelding to show locally. I just wanted to know on average or a ball park number how long it takes to get the vet out and get the results back? I know I'm a little late starting out. Thanks.

#6 Decembrr

Decembrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

How long it takes to get your vet out is kinda hard to answer... ask him!
[Razz]

Coggins results depend, also. Depends on the vet and whether some run their own lab or not. At our vet, we can pay more for quick results (in the mail to us the next day), or got he "cheap" route and wait a bit longer...but he sends the results within a week. He runs BOTH options the same way, since he does his own lab work... however, without paying the extra... they may sit a day or so until he "gets to them".

I'm not exactly sure HOW long it actually takes to run the test... as I know the vet goes to sale barns and can pull blood for coggins and have results before the sale since it's required for the sale.

All and all, I'd expect to have results mailed to you within a week. But, you'd have to ask your own vet what HIS timeline is.

#7 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

The actual test can be run in a day. Usually I get the results back in under a week. However, the last time, my vet's office had an incompetent tech they had hired to start doing "digital" Coggins - using a digital photograph instead of the standard horse drawing with markings indicated. It took over two weeks, and then I got the old-fashioned horse drawing results because the tech somehow deleted the digital photograph and I didn't want to wait for the vet to come out to take another photo - I, too, was under a deadline. You know - Murphy's Law.

#8 PunkinNMe

PunkinNMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

The fastest way to get coggins back out here is to haul your horse down to the local sale barn and have the vet there pull them for you.

It's illegal to sell a horse without a clear coggins, so most (if not all) sale barns have a vet there to pull and process the tests on site for horses that come in without them.

Here, they are $20 if you run your horse through the ring and $35 if you only want the test.