Quantcast

Gelding erections—is that normal?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Topper was gelded as a yearling and is now 3. I've noticed within the past month or so that he's been getting ********** for no apparent reason. There are no mares on our place, so he's not catching a scent as far as I know. None of my other geldings have ever gotten...uh, excited...without a mare in heat nearby.

It's happening often enough (a couple times a day that I see) that I'm a bit worried. I saw when he was gelded. The vet showed me that he "got" everything. So what might be causing my horse's...ahem...high spirits? Is this something to worry about or will he just grow out of it?

It happened yesterday when I took him for a ride in a public park, and I could hear little children asking their parents questions—I felt so bad!

#2 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

[ROTFL]

Yes its normal. I had a gelding that would ********** even. He'd just be standing there thumping away on his belly [ROTFL]

#3 Tatertots

Tatertots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

[ROTFL]
What a topic [ROTFL]
But seriously my gelding(is 4yrs old) does this all the time too. I have never seen him thumping away on his belly though [Eek!] [ROTFL]

Of course now that I think of it he is the only gelding I have ever had that has done this sort of behavior. But then again I have two mares and the one I swear is in perpetual heat [Roll Eyes] [Question]

[ 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

#4 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Some of what you are seeing may be, in fact, love induced, but it is also normal for geldings and stallions to 'stretch' several times per day. It helps with blood circulation to the region. Especially if he is doing it while he is grazing or dozing. Many also do it on long rides to help with blood flow to that area. The stretching is not the same as an ******** and is so automatic, your boy may not even be aware of it himself. Normal male behavior, (for most species, actually).

[ 05-19-2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]

#5 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Very normal. Heck, my gelding Panama (17 yrs young) has ejaculated numerous time. He even "bred" a spayed mare once (the ultimate in safe sex).

Funny story about this topic. My vet said a client new to horses called him in a panic one day and said his gelding had an ******** and it was hitting against his belly. He was worried and wondered why his horse was doing this. My vet's reply was, "well, doesn't it feel good when YOU do that?" The guy was so embarrassed!

[ROTFL]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#6 Tatertots

Tatertots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

[ROTFL] OHHH Bumper [ROTFL] [ROTFL] [Crazy]

#7 Inspired cowgirl

Inspired cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

Lol, this is an "exciting" topic. My three boys all do this when IM GROOMING THEM!! When I give massages they love to "STRETCH".... my Brother that has no horse experience always makes fun of me.lol

p.s-they are all geldings, over the age 16. one is even 27 !!

[ 05-20-2007, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Inspired cowgirl ]

#8 Pgsus7

Pgsus7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

I am not the only one who was wondering about this. My gelding is doing this ever since we got a new mare, that is in heat by the way. He just won't put it away, sorry to be crude, I think he is trying to impress her.

#9 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Inspired cowgirl:
Lol, this is an "exciting" topic. My three boys all do this when IM GROOMING THEM!! When I give massages they love to "STRETCH".... my Brother that has no horse experience always makes fun of me.lol

LOL! Bizz's gelding Chilito does that. Chili looooooves being groomed and lets things drop to show his appreciation. Bizz is so funny about it, when he does that she slaps him on the neck and says, "CHILI! stop expressing yourself!" (Bizz is a 12 yr old girl). I haven't gotten her to clean his sheath yet however...

One day Bizz's mom Kathy and i were clipping all the horses. I was under Panama with the clippers and i guess the buzzing on his belly stimulated him. He dropped (which gave me a chance to get all the beans out). So i tried that on Chili, but no luck. I ended up pleading with him, "CHILI! FREEEEE WILLY!" LMAO. Then Kathy started singing, "Little Chili's willy won't, drop down."

[ROTFL]

Yeah, we're a tad sick.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#10 RockSolid

RockSolid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

Yep, my young gelding gets "excited" anytime there's a mare around.

I cleaned his sheath yesterday he, er, seemed to really enjoy it. Closed his eyes and got that dreamy look on his face. Ohhhh boy. Remind me not to clean that sheath if there's anyone nearby that isn't a horse person. [Razz]

#11 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yup, one of my geldings does it too. Gulliver will get an ******** around Rommie when she's in heat or has been gone for awhile. He'll also get one when I groom him, when I clean his sheath and when the farrier works on his feet. However, he only gets one for the current farrier, Mike, who he loves. I pointed that out to Mike last time he was here. I didn't think anything could embarass that guy - I was wrong. [Razz]

#12 haflingerperson12

haflingerperson12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

My gelding does that, too. My little sister (only five) was with him once when he did that. Let's just say she had a couple questions on her mind...

#13 miosgoldenchance

miosgoldenchance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

AHA! A question answered! Almost everyday when I'm grooming it's like "thumpthumpthumpthumpthump" and I'm like "woah thereeeee." And then everybody's like "oooh, who's turning him on?"

And usually he's just with like, a 30 year old overweight gelding. I know that's what gets him hot and bothered. hehe.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Topper was gelded as a yearling and is now 3. I've noticed within the past month or so that he's been getting ********** for no apparent reason. There are no mares on our place, so he's not catching a scent as far as I know. None of my other geldings have ever gotten...uh, excited...without a mare in heat nearby.

It's happening often enough (a couple times a day that I see) that I'm a bit worried. I saw when he was gelded. The vet showed me that he "got" everything. So what might be causing my horse's...ahem...high spirits? Is this something to worry about or will he just grow out of it?

It happened yesterday when I took him for a ride in a public park, and I could hear little children asking their parents questions—I felt so bad!

#15 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

[ROTFL]

Yes its normal. I had a gelding that would ********** even. He'd just be standing there thumping away on his belly [ROTFL]

#16 Tatertots

Tatertots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

[ROTFL]
What a topic [ROTFL]
But seriously my gelding(is 4yrs old) does this all the time too. I have never seen him thumping away on his belly though [Eek!] [ROTFL]

Of course now that I think of it he is the only gelding I have ever had that has done this sort of behavior. But then again I have two mares and the one I swear is in perpetual heat [Roll Eyes] [Question]

[ 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

#17 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Some of what you are seeing may be, in fact, love induced, but it is also normal for geldings and stallions to 'stretch' several times per day. It helps with blood circulation to the region. Especially if he is doing it while he is grazing or dozing. Many also do it on long rides to help with blood flow to that area. The stretching is not the same as an ******** and is so automatic, your boy may not even be aware of it himself. Normal male behavior, (for most species, actually).

[ 05-19-2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]

#18 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Very normal. Heck, my gelding Panama (17 yrs young) has ejaculated numerous time. He even "bred" a spayed mare once (the ultimate in safe sex).

Funny story about this topic. My vet said a client new to horses called him in a panic one day and said his gelding had an ******** and it was hitting against his belly. He was worried and wondered why his horse was doing this. My vet's reply was, "well, doesn't it feel good when YOU do that?" The guy was so embarrassed!

[ROTFL]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#19 Tatertots

Tatertots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

[ROTFL] OHHH Bumper [ROTFL] [ROTFL] [Crazy]

#20 Inspired cowgirl

Inspired cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

[ 05-20-2007, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Inspired cowgirl ]

#21 Pgsus7

Pgsus7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

I am not the only one who was wondering about this. My gelding is doing this ever since we got a new mare, that is in heat by the way. He just won't put it away, sorry to be crude, I think he is trying to impress her.

#22 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Inspired cowgirl:

LOL! Bizz's gelding Chilito does that. Chili looooooves being groomed and lets things drop to show his appreciation. Bizz is so funny about it, when he does that she slaps him on the neck and says, "CHILI! stop expressing yourself!" (Bizz is a 12 yr old girl). I haven't gotten her to clean his sheath yet however...

One day Bizz's mom Kathy and i were clipping all the horses. I was under Panama with the clippers and i guess the buzzing on his belly stimulated him. He dropped (which gave me a chance to get all the beans out). So i tried that on Chili, but no luck. I ended up pleading with him, "CHILI! FREEEEE WILLY!" LMAO. Then Kathy started singing, "Little Chili's willy won't, drop down."

[ROTFL]

Yeah, we're a tad sick.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

#23 RockSolid

RockSolid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

Yep, my young gelding gets "excited" anytime there's a mare around.

I cleaned his sheath yesterday he, er, seemed to really enjoy it. Closed his eyes and got that dreamy look on his face. Ohhhh boy. Remind me not to clean that sheath if there's anyone nearby that isn't a horse person. [Razz]

#24 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yup, one of my geldings does it too. Gulliver will get an ******** around Rommie when she's in heat or has been gone for awhile. He'll also get one when I groom him, when I clean his sheath and when the farrier works on his feet. However, he only gets one for the current farrier, Mike, who he loves. I pointed that out to Mike last time he was here. I didn't think anything could embarass that guy - I was wrong. [Razz]

#25 haflingerperson12

haflingerperson12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

My gelding does that, too. My little sister (only five) was with him once when he did that. Let's just say she had a couple questions on her mind...

#26 miosgoldenchance

miosgoldenchance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

AHA! A question answered! Almost everyday when I'm grooming it's like "thumpthumpthumpthumpthump" and I'm like "woah thereeeee." And then everybody's like "oooh, who's turning him on?"

And usually he's just with like, a 30 year old overweight gelding. I know that's what gets him hot and bothered. hehe.