• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fsubarrelracer

fsubarrelracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

I am looking for some advise and how to treat this puncture wound. I was evacuated from my house last week do to the Bugaboo Wildfire here in North Florida. So i moved my horses to the next county over. My gelding is a very nosey and curious individual... has to check everything out. Dropped them off Last Tuesday.... Went to check on them on wednesday and he has puncuted himself on something I can't figure out what it was. It was late and the feed stores were closed so i went to Wal-mart to pick up some supplies. I cleaned the wound out with water, Peroxide, badadine, and packed it with neosporine. Thursday I went back out to feed and check on him and he had swelling from his knee down a lot of fluid on the knee. I cleaned the wound just the same as the day before but i packed it with nitrofurson and i had soem vet wrap so i wraped his lower leg. Friday i cleaned it again the same way and then i applied cooling green jelly on his knee down. Satuday I was very pleased the swelling was way down. I took some pictures if you would take a look and let me know if i should do anything else or not do something. I would greatly appreciate it. The first picture is the day after i've cleaned the wound. The second picture is after cleaning. The third one is the location picture. The fourth one is after the medication.

Thank you so much for any advise that you may send my way.... It's been a rough week. http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f...yc/DSCN0628.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f.../DSCN0626-3.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f...yc/DSCN0630.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury

[ 05-21-2007, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: fsubarrelracer ]

#2 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

Initially I would stop using the peroxide as it kills both live and dead tissue. That alone can cause major problems with the treatment and healing of a puncture wound. Or any wound for that matter.

Also be careful packing a puncture wound while it may still be draining. You don't want to stop the fluid from escaping.

I cannot see your pictures as my security programs threw a fit. [Bang Head] If you were to post them here it would be easier for me to take a look.

As always, if you have any questions regarding wound treatment I would advise you to contact your vet. Or as you are out of the area call upon some of the horse people in the area for a recommendation for a local vet.

Hope your guy heals fast.

#3 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I couldn't see the pictures either, some security thing.

Bethany is right don't use peroxide and don't pack puncture wounds. Puncture wounds can be very nasty and cause huge problems.

I also wouldn't have put cool green on it either.

These is what I do for injuries like that:

1)call my vet
2)wash it out with a novasan scrub and cold hose for 20 minutes
3)put triple-antibiotic ointment to keep it soft and open.
4)my vet would probably have me use gent and naxcel antibiotics.
5)Booster a tetnus shot ASAP, even if he's had 1 recently.

You don't want puncture wounds to close as it traps anerobic bacteria, you want it to drain.

#4 Dhec4Christ

Dhec4Christ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

This is what my barn owner had me do when my mare got a puncture wound. This was done twice a day, morning and evening, after she was fed.

SMZs twice a day
Cold hosing for about 10 min.
A cup of diluted betadine with a syringe to flush and drain
Squeezing all the extra drainage out.
Neosporin on the open area.

This regiment worked well for her. She has a small scar, but other than that you can't even tell she was injured.

Hope your horse gets better soon! [Smile]

#5 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

I saw the picture, i agree don't use peroxide, all vets will tell you not to. when my horses get cuts, & they are accident prone, i go to the grocery store & get a bag of pickling lime, yep the kind you use to make pickles. sounds crazy, but it works........ clean it with water & the betadine helps too, but pack the wound with the pickling lime vet wrap for a couple of days the wound will close up alot, it's the alumm in it it draws it together.i've used it for years & so have alot of my horse friends, GOOD LUCK

#6 fsubarrelracer

fsubarrelracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions... I am working on how to post my pictures so you can see the wound.

#7 fsubarrelracer

fsubarrelracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

I am looking for some advise and how to treat this puncture wound. I was evacuated from my house last week do to the Bugaboo Wildfire here in North Florida. So i moved my horses to the next county over. My gelding is a very nosey and curious individual... has to check everything out. Dropped them off Last Tuesday.... Went to check on them on wednesday and he has puncuted himself on something I can't figure out what it was. It was late and the feed stores were closed so i went to Wal-mart to pick up some supplies. I cleaned the wound out with water, Peroxide, badadine, and packed it with neosporine. Thursday I went back out to feed and check on him and he had swelling from his knee down a lot of fluid on the knee. I cleaned the wound just the same as the day before but i packed it with nitrofurson and i had soem vet wrap so i wraped his lower leg. Friday i cleaned it again the same way and then i applied cooling green jelly on his knee down. Satuday I was very pleased the swelling was way down. I took some pictures if you would take a look and let me know if i should do anything else or not do something. I would greatly appreciate it. The first picture is the day after i've cleaned the wound. The second picture is after cleaning. The third one is the location picture. The fourth one is after the medication.

Thank you so much for any advise that you may send my way.... It's been a rough week. http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f...yc/DSCN0628.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f.../DSCN0626-3.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/f...yc/DSCN0630.jpg[/IMG]]D's Injury

[ 05-21-2007, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: fsubarrelracer ]

#8 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

Initially I would stop using the peroxide as it kills both live and dead tissue. That alone can cause major problems with the treatment and healing of a puncture wound. Or any wound for that matter.

Also be careful packing a puncture wound while it may still be draining. You don't want to stop the fluid from escaping.

I cannot see your pictures as my security programs threw a fit. [Bang Head] If you were to post them here it would be easier for me to take a look.

As always, if you have any questions regarding wound treatment I would advise you to contact your vet. Or as you are out of the area call upon some of the horse people in the area for a recommendation for a local vet.

Hope your guy heals fast.

#9 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I couldn't see the pictures either, some security thing.

Bethany is right don't use peroxide and don't pack puncture wounds. Puncture wounds can be very nasty and cause huge problems.

I also wouldn't have put cool green on it either.

These is what I do for injuries like that:

1)call my vet
2)wash it out with a novasan scrub and cold hose for 20 minutes
3)put triple-antibiotic ointment to keep it soft and open.
4)my vet would probably have me use gent and naxcel antibiotics.
5)Booster a tetnus shot ASAP, even if he's had 1 recently.

You don't want puncture wounds to close as it traps anerobic bacteria, you want it to drain.

#10 Dhec4Christ

Dhec4Christ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

This is what my barn owner had me do when my mare got a puncture wound. This was done twice a day, morning and evening, after she was fed.

SMZs twice a day
Cold hosing for about 10 min.
A cup of diluted betadine with a syringe to flush and drain
Squeezing all the extra drainage out.
Neosporin on the open area.

This regiment worked well for her. She has a small scar, but other than that you can't even tell she was injured.

Hope your horse gets better soon! [Smile]

#11 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

I saw the picture, i agree don't use peroxide, all vets will tell you not to. when my horses get cuts, & they are accident prone, i go to the grocery store & get a bag of pickling lime, yep the kind you use to make pickles. sounds crazy, but it works........ clean it with water & the betadine helps too, but pack the wound with the pickling lime vet wrap for a couple of days the wound will close up alot, it's the alumm in it it draws it together.i've used it for years & so have alot of my horse friends, GOOD LUCK

#12 fsubarrelracer

fsubarrelracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions... I am working on how to post my pictures so you can see the wound.