Quantcast

Photo

Is Palmolive dishsoap used as a blistering agent?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Today I volunteered to clean a sheath. For the past 2 1/2 years the vet I assisted used Palmolive, I could identify that smell in a heartbeat, and the combination of Palmolive and smegma will make be a Dawn detergent user forever! [Smile]

Anyway, the trainer seemed shocked I was using it, and told me it was used for blistering stifles. I'm not a big fan of blistering, and have very little experience with it.

I used the Palmolive, really made sure all of the soap was completely rinsed, ran the hose with warm water up to make sure there was no soap residue, did a thorough job. The poor horse I was cleaning was a 4 yr. old that had never been cleaned. He had a bean the size of a grape as well as a smaller one.

So, could someone shed light on this subject? Thanks!

#2 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

what is blistering stiffles?

Common sense and the chemical warefare training i have had tells me if Palmolive was a blistering agent it wouldnt be used to clean dishes and the vet you worked with wouldnt have use it. Am i missing someing?

Did any of the horses you cleaned before have any sort of skin irritation from this?

#3 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

Out of the hundreds of horses we cleaned, we never got a call from a client saying "Pookie's sheath is blistered". I could understand that any detergent could be an irritant if not washed away completely, but I thoroughly washed any detergent residue away.

The trainer mentioned Ivory soap, and I know many individuals (including myself) that are allergic to Ivory. It is supposedly "so gentle", but Ivory can cause many allergic reactions.

#4 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

hmmmm [Confused] i'd love to hear some more from others with bad Palmolive experience or someone with a good explination....
i never thought of using a gentle dish soap....
"Cuts grease anywhere" haha

#5 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

all I can think of is the TV commercial 'Madge, you're SOAKING in it'.......

#6 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

It's been used for yeeears as a blistering agent, according to my trainer. That is until it was found out that WD-40 works quicker, but not as long. Lots of people nowdays use the WD, but occassionally you'll find one that still uses Palmolive.

When my last gelding was having problems we thought stemmed form his stilfes being loose, we blistered him with WD just to see if helped/made a difference. Would have used Palmolive but because the dishsoap causes hair loss and sometimes burning of the skin and WD does not and we weren't sure if it was going to help, we figured we'd opt to keep his hair.

#7 Athenah

Athenah

In Missouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:07 PM

I thought Dawn dishsoap was the best to use. Animal Rescue teams use it to clean oil off of waterfowl after oil rig spills. Cuts the grease and does not harm the birds who must be doused with it. It even gets oil off of feathers.

hmm. Why would blistering be benificial? I know nothing about it.

#8 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Athenah:

[Confused] still wondering the same thing

#9 Milo

Milo

High Mileage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

Blistering and pinfiring are used to get injuries to heal faster. Both have fallen out of favor, widely, as being inhumane and having no real benefit.

The belief is that an acute injury (vs. a chronic, slow healing injury) increases blood flow, heals faster with less scar tissue, etc.

#10 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

please tell me they ARENT injecting stifles and hocks with Polmolive or WD-40 to blister them??? who is doing this? isnt it considered cruelty to animals? (which people could go to jail for)

please? [Me Cry]

#11 Mith

Mith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

You don't inject it...you rub it on the skin. It would be a horrid idea to inject anything into the joint that isn't 100% already part of the regular joint material. Though there is still a debate about the humanity, it itsn't as bad as you are thinking.

#12 G&K'Smom

G&K'Smom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jumpin_horses:
please tell me they ARENT injecting stifles and hocks with Polmolive or WD-40 to blister them??? who is doing this? isnt it considered cruelty to animals? (which people could go to jail for)

please? [Me Cry]

No, but they used to inject with iodine and peanut oil. It was called McKay's Solution. [Bang Head]

#13 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mith:
You don't inject it...you rub it on the skin. It would be a horrid idea to inject anything into the joint that isn't 100% already part of the regular joint material. Though there is still a debate about the humanity, it itsn't as bad as you are thinking.

WHEW! but....... how on earth would blistering the skin correct a joint?????

isnt pinfiring (which is illegal in Europe, and IMO - very cruel) when they actually stick a hot pin right into the joint? .....

this horse has been pinfired.. see the dots on his hocks....

-

[ 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

#14 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:07 PM

in the case of my gelding, it helped tighten the muscles/tendons/ligaments in his stifle so that he wasn't losing his left hind out from under him so often.

#15 silverleprichuan

silverleprichuan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JumperCrazy:
in the case of my gelding, it helped tighten the muscles/tendons/ligaments in his stifle so that he wasn't losing his left hind out from under him so often.

how would blistering the skin help tighten ligaments?

#16 G&K'Smom

G&K'Smom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by silverleprichuan:
quote:
Originally posted by JumperCrazy:

how would blistering the skin help tighten ligaments?
This may answer your question:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?I...kw=pin%20firing

#17 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,306 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

because the response to the treatment is inflammation--body tries to "protect" the area and sends "resources" to an acute area.

still think it's a bad idea.

and with blistering, you use an irritant on the skin's surface to cause a reaction--that reaction is to send more blood to the area and try to "heal". (have heard of using dishsoap--think of ferris beuler's day off--you leave the soap under your armpit--causes heat, then take your temp there)

#18 OTTB

OTTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

yikes, I am sorry to flame any one, but I could not imagine purposefully causing pain and blisters, with a substance NOT DESIGNED for veterinary care on my horse.

Slow steady work, is a great way to help tighten up a lose stiffle..

WD40 is a water displacing lubricant (means it also DRYS stuff out, ouch on a blister!)

And no... I have never heard of using dish soap as a blistering agent. But, out of all of the show barns I have worked at. I have never come across a trainer would allow such measures to be taken.

ugg.. I just couldn't imagine taking random chemicals and applying them to my horse.

#19 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

quote:
Blistering and pinfiring are used to get injuries to heal faster. Both have fallen out of favor, widely, as being inhumane and having no real benefit.

Remember, I'm in TN, not in CA anymore. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a crusade to get people even into the 20th Century, not to mention the 21st.

My horses are due for dentistry next month, and I refuse to use the DVM who does dentistry here. She is a flake. I have a few names of people I need to call because I want my horses to have good teeth.

#20 BB Blue

BB Blue

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, unfortunately Panda is in hillbilly heck with me! I don't understand it either. With all the updated info, why people don't change.
I mean, gosh, there are all kinds of equine products for this stuff now!
ex: Excalibur is an excellent product for sheaths.

#21 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

it doesn't actually cause blisters. [Wink] or at least on the horses i've done it on it hasn't and none of them have had any pain as a side effect.

dishsoap and WD are like 'redneck' ways to do it. vets can inject something into the area that is also 'blistering' it, but often this is expensive and works just as well as the dishsoap and WD.

trust me, i would never inflict pain on my horse on purpose.

i too come out of a show barn working with a well-known trainer on the AQHA circuit here and she has worked with some of the best vets in our area.

[ 06-09-2007, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: JumperCrazy ]

#22 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

well, Wayne (the gelding I cleaned) didn't lose his weiner [Smile] ) He is perfectly fine.

Currently I'm more concerned about a 2 yr. old stud colt that is so herdbound that he decided to run through a barbwire fence. I'll post soon.

#23 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Today I volunteered to clean a sheath. For the past 2 1/2 years the vet I assisted used Palmolive, I could identify that smell in a heartbeat, and the combination of Palmolive and smegma will make be a Dawn detergent user forever! [Smile]

Anyway, the trainer seemed shocked I was using it, and told me it was used for blistering stifles. I'm not a big fan of blistering, and have very little experience with it.

I used the Palmolive, really made sure all of the soap was completely rinsed, ran the hose with warm water up to make sure there was no soap residue, did a thorough job. The poor horse I was cleaning was a 4 yr. old that had never been cleaned. He had a bean the size of a grape as well as a smaller one.

So, could someone shed light on this subject? Thanks!

#24 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

what is blistering stiffles?

Common sense and the chemical warefare training i have had tells me if Palmolive was a blistering agent it wouldnt be used to clean dishes and the vet you worked with wouldnt have use it. Am i missing someing?

Did any of the horses you cleaned before have any sort of skin irritation from this?

#25 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

Out of the hundreds of horses we cleaned, we never got a call from a client saying "Pookie's sheath is blistered". I could understand that any detergent could be an irritant if not washed away completely, but I thoroughly washed any detergent residue away.

The trainer mentioned Ivory soap, and I know many individuals (including myself) that are allergic to Ivory. It is supposedly "so gentle", but Ivory can cause many allergic reactions.

#26 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

hmmmm [Confused] i'd love to hear some more from others with bad Palmolive experience or someone with a good explination....
i never thought of using a gentle dish soap....
"Cuts grease anywhere" haha

#27 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

all I can think of is the TV commercial 'Madge, you're SOAKING in it'.......

#28 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

It's been used for yeeears as a blistering agent, according to my trainer. That is until it was found out that WD-40 works quicker, but not as long. Lots of people nowdays use the WD, but occassionally you'll find one that still uses Palmolive.

When my last gelding was having problems we thought stemmed form his stilfes being loose, we blistered him with WD just to see if helped/made a difference. Would have used Palmolive but because the dishsoap causes hair loss and sometimes burning of the skin and WD does not and we weren't sure if it was going to help, we figured we'd opt to keep his hair.

#29 Athenah

Athenah

In Missouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:07 PM

I thought Dawn dishsoap was the best to use. Animal Rescue teams use it to clean oil off of waterfowl after oil rig spills. Cuts the grease and does not harm the birds who must be doused with it. It even gets oil off of feathers.

#30 RickisSweetSmoke

RickisSweetSmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Athenah:

[Confused] still wondering the same thing