#1 Adrenalin_Girl

Adrenalin_Girl

Herd Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

i posted before but nobody answered me [Confused]

my horse's eyes when i look at the inner rims ( the pink part/cunjunctiva of the eyes) it seems they are RED and have little blood vessels close to the rim and look irritated.

what could cause this ? i am leaning towards allergies

he is in a stall with no window and and hardly any air flow ( i am moving in the beginning of the month) the only way he can see other horses and air flow is stick his head out the door.

the hay has been dusty and some of the older horse and even a younger horse have been coughing while eating it almost constantly ( mine has been snorting while eating it)

so i try to fluff the excess dust off it before fedding it ( i know it might not help much, but it seems better after i do it ...A lot)

there are no other signs of anything like uveitis.

THANK YOU [Smiley Wavey]

#2 Ryle

Ryle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

Allergies/irritation, trauma and infection could all lead to inflammation of the eye. Since it's been an ongoing issue and isn't progressing it's most likely due to irritation/allergic reaction to something in the environment. However, if there is a discharge, the eye becomes more inflammed, your horse starts squinting, etc you should have your vet out for an exam.

#3 Adrenalin_Girl

Adrenalin_Girl

Herd Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryle:
Allergies/irritation, trauma and infection could all lead to inflammation of the eye. Since it's been an ongoing issue and isn't progressing it's most likely due to irritation/allergic reaction to something in the environment. However, if there is a discharge, the eye becomes more inflammed, your horse starts squinting, etc you should have your vet out for an exam.

thank you Ryle

yes i have been watching out for signs of uveitis he doesn't seem to have any, no squinting,no contracted pupil in dark stall,or watering sometimes it is very slight like while eating hay or out in the dusty pasture ( grrr)

i might get an allergy test done on him

#4 Adrenalin_Girl

Adrenalin_Girl

Herd Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

i posted before but nobody answered me [Confused]

my horse's eyes when i look at the inner rims ( the pink part/cunjunctiva of the eyes) it seems they are RED and have little blood vessels close to the rim and look irritated.

what could cause this ? i am leaning towards allergies

he is in a stall with no window and and hardly any air flow ( i am moving in the beginning of the month) the only way he can see other horses and air flow is stick his head out the door.

the hay has been dusty and some of the older horse and even a younger horse have been coughing while eating it almost constantly ( mine has been snorting while eating it)

so i try to fluff the excess dust off it before fedding it ( i know it might not help much, but it seems better after i do it ...A lot)

there are no other signs of anything like uveitis.

THANK YOU [Smiley Wavey]

#5 Ryle

Ryle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

#6 Adrenalin_Girl

Adrenalin_Girl

Herd Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryle:

thank you Ryle

yes i have been watching out for signs of uveitis he doesn't seem to have any, no squinting,no contracted pupil in dark stall,or watering sometimes it is very slight like while eating hay or out in the dusty pasture ( grrr)

i might get an allergy test done on him