• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey guys, my horse was just diagnosed with mild arthritis in her left fore fetlock. Because it is not hot, i'd like to apply a Furazone/DMSO wrap on it to decrease swelling. My question is, do you put the saran wrap directly on the leg, or do you wrap with cotton pads over leg and then put the saran wrap over the cotton? Also, should i put a wet paper bag over the leg as well?

i've just heard so many things and i'd like to clear up my confusion!

Also, have you done anything else that helps swelling and pain for a problem like this.

Thanks!

#2 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Furazone/DMSO is a sweat.

If you have swelling, though, regardless of the "no heat," you'll want to cold hose and hand walk to reduce the swelling .... OR ... do a poultice (i.e., UpTite)

#3 MareKrazed

MareKrazed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Chocomare hit it on the head here; DMSO/furazone is a sweat. You will want to hydro for 15-30 minutes and handwalk with a poultice to follow.

To answer your question:
To poultice you apply poulticing material (usually opaque and clay-like), cover with wet paper bag and then standing bandages.
For a sweat you apply sweat materials (usually more goopy or liquidy and translucent), then saran wrap, then standing bandages.

Remember to always apply a standing bandage to the opposing leg for support; and to check your bandages at least daily for pressure, wrinkles, slipping, etc...

#4 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

You know, I'd stick to cold hosing and whatever else your vet recommended.

PS: I had great luck with Adequan and bute.

#5 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

i have cold hosed it and it does not do anything for the swelling (2x a day for 20 min. for about a week). the swelling does not go down when excercised. i read that some people use a sweat with DMSO to help reduce swelling and DMSO helps with arthritis. I do have a poultice that i am putting on her.

i was just wondering if i should put the saran wrap directly over the leg or if i should put a cotton pad between the leg and saran wrap.

The vet told me to give her 2 gr. bute for five days and then 2 gr bute any time i ride her hard.
I am also feeding her a glucosamine/MSM supplement.

thanks for the info!

[ 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: barrelracer007 ]

#6 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Furacin sweat... not sure if thats gunna do a whole lot for the swelling. I would poultice. That's whats going to get the swelling down I do believe.

#7 buddy057

buddy057

• Members
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

You're right, a furacin/dmso sweat is great and recommended for taking the swelling down faster. For a super GOOD sweat a quilted wrap with plastic wrap over it, then outside wrap.

#8 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

You can directly saran wrap a leg. You just do it very loose of course letting the saran wrap stick to itsself to hold it on....not tight like leftovers lol.

The way I have always seen it is saran wrap, a quilted leg wrap as said above and a standing bandage. Always wrap legs in pairs even if you dont sweat one.

#9 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

Before I use a DMSO / Furacin sweat, I use a Furacin / DMSO / Dexamethasone mixture without a wrap. (It is only 5% to 10% Dex and the balance is equal parts of DMSO and Liquid .2% Furacin Solution.)

I Mix it in a 4 oz. Daubber Bottle and just paint it on 2 or 3 times a day with the daubber. It works absolutely great to reduce swelling and soreness. I use it with cold hosing or ice. Everytime I cold hose or apply ice (in boots or wraps) I finish up by drying the leg and putting on the DMSO mixture.

The only problem it creates is, (like with Bute), the horse may appear better than it is and one may be tempted to not rest it long enough.

#10 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I put a sweat on her last night and her swelling did go down! It wasn't a huge change, but the swelling is a lot more pliable and fluidy rather than firm (how it used to be.) I'm going to continue putting it on each night for the next two days and then leaving it off for another three and we'll see how she is!

ps. it helped with her soreness too!

#11 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey guys, my horse was just diagnosed with mild arthritis in her left fore fetlock. Because it is not hot, i'd like to apply a Furazone/DMSO wrap on it to decrease swelling. My question is, do you put the saran wrap directly on the leg, or do you wrap with cotton pads over leg and then put the saran wrap over the cotton? Also, should i put a wet paper bag over the leg as well?

i've just heard so many things and i'd like to clear up my confusion!

Also, have you done anything else that helps swelling and pain for a problem like this.

Thanks!

#12 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Furazone/DMSO is a sweat.

If you have swelling, though, regardless of the "no heat," you'll want to cold hose and hand walk to reduce the swelling .... OR ... do a poultice (i.e., UpTite)

#13 MareKrazed

MareKrazed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Chocomare hit it on the head here; DMSO/furazone is a sweat. You will want to hydro for 15-30 minutes and handwalk with a poultice to follow.

To answer your question:
To poultice you apply poulticing material (usually opaque and clay-like), cover with wet paper bag and then standing bandages.
For a sweat you apply sweat materials (usually more goopy or liquidy and translucent), then saran wrap, then standing bandages.

Remember to always apply a standing bandage to the opposing leg for support; and to check your bandages at least daily for pressure, wrinkles, slipping, etc...

#14 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

You know, I'd stick to cold hosing and whatever else your vet recommended.

PS: I had great luck with Adequan and bute.

#15 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

i have cold hosed it and it does not do anything for the swelling (2x a day for 20 min. for about a week). the swelling does not go down when excercised. i read that some people use a sweat with DMSO to help reduce swelling and DMSO helps with arthritis. I do have a poultice that i am putting on her.

i was just wondering if i should put the saran wrap directly over the leg or if i should put a cotton pad between the leg and saran wrap.

The vet told me to give her 2 gr. bute for five days and then 2 gr bute any time i ride her hard.
I am also feeding her a glucosamine/MSM supplement.

thanks for the info!

[ 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: barrelracer007 ]

#16 RolinRiver

RolinRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Furacin sweat... not sure if thats gunna do a whole lot for the swelling. I would poultice. That's whats going to get the swelling down I do believe.

#17 buddy057

buddy057

• Members
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

You're right, a furacin/dmso sweat is great and recommended for taking the swelling down faster. For a super GOOD sweat a quilted wrap with plastic wrap over it, then outside wrap.

#18 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

You can directly saran wrap a leg. You just do it very loose of course letting the saran wrap stick to itsself to hold it on....not tight like leftovers lol.

The way I have always seen it is saran wrap, a quilted leg wrap as said above and a standing bandage. Always wrap legs in pairs even if you dont sweat one.

#19 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

Before I use a DMSO / Furacin sweat, I use a Furacin / DMSO / Dexamethasone mixture without a wrap. (It is only 5% to 10% Dex and the balance is equal parts of DMSO and Liquid .2% Furacin Solution.)

I Mix it in a 4 oz. Daubber Bottle and just paint it on 2 or 3 times a day with the daubber. It works absolutely great to reduce swelling and soreness. I use it with cold hosing or ice. Everytime I cold hose or apply ice (in boots or wraps) I finish up by drying the leg and putting on the DMSO mixture.

The only problem it creates is, (like with Bute), the horse may appear better than it is and one may be tempted to not rest it long enough.

#20 barrelracer007

barrelracer007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I put a sweat on her last night and her swelling did go down! It wasn't a huge change, but the swelling is a lot more pliable and fluidy rather than firm (how it used to be.) I'm going to continue putting it on each night for the next two days and then leaving it off for another three and we'll see how she is!

ps. it helped with her soreness too!