Quantcast

Photo

skin melanoma in dogs. What will it look like?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ImissMisha

ImissMisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Anyone ever had a dog with a melanoma on their skin? I would like to know what it looked like.
My dog has a puffy black spot on her leg that looks like a blood blister. She has been licking at it a lot because the hair is all gone around it.
Great, I am thinking that she may have a cancer now on top of everything else.

#2 WildaPony

WildaPony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

My 14 year old poodle has had a few actually. They first appeared as little bumps, kind of like a mole or wart. They felt pretty solid and they did grow slowly over time. I don't know if you've every seen one on a horse before but they are really no different. They don't have a different color to them then the skin of the animal, as far as I've seen. They just feel and look like a solid lump in the skin. The groomer recently found a very large one, about the size of a golfball, in my dogs mouth and he does in fact have cancer. But something interesting that our vet told us is that they actually now have a vaccine for melanomas in dogs. It's still being studied but the article she gave us about it said that it has had a really good success rate with barely any side affects at all. They listed specific breeds that are prone to them. And we are going to look into it even though our dog is an old man, we thought even if it kept them from growing back or getting so bad this time, he'd be around a bit longer.

However if the dog is still licking it. I would check first and make sure it's not a tick. [Razz] Not that I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell what your looking at. [Wink] I just never saw my dog lick any of his. They didn't appear to bother him in anyway... well accept the huge one in his mouth, but that's because it got in the way of eating. It might also just be an actual mole. I've seen darker looking spots on dogs and they are just simply moles. And they do look like blood blisters. But again I've never seen one be bothered by it. My other thought it maybe it's a hot spot, I think that's what they are called, just starting. I'd call the vet though and ask them what they think it might be. It doesn't sound to me like a melanoma, but I'd be worried about whatever it is if it's bothering her so much.

[Angel] [Angel] I hope it isn't anything concerning. [Huggy] [Huggy]

#3 ImissMisha

ImissMisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for your response.
Ticks a rarity in Alaska though not unheard of - I am certain this is not a tick but good suggestion to consider.

While searching the net to find a photo of a melanoma on a dog I ran across the vaccine info. That was interesting.

My dog sees the vet every month for other issues so I will just have to have it checked out on our next stop in there I guess.

#4 Stellar

Stellar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

The black spot could be a sign of an infection. If your pet has been licking the same spot over and over for an extended period of time (which I am assuming is a yes considering the hair is gone), then they probably developed a type of 'lick sore' for lack of a better word.

Go to your vet to be sure, but if it is an infection they can give you some anti-biotics, anti-itch medicine and clean out the wound.

[ 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Stellar ]

#5 ImissMisha

ImissMisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Anyone ever had a dog with a melanoma on their skin? I would like to know what it looked like.
My dog has a puffy black spot on her leg that looks like a blood blister. She has been licking at it a lot because the hair is all gone around it.
Great, I am thinking that she may have a cancer now on top of everything else.

#6 WildaPony

WildaPony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

My 14 year old poodle has had a few actually. They first appeared as little bumps, kind of like a mole or wart. They felt pretty solid and they did grow slowly over time. I don't know if you've every seen one on a horse before but they are really no different. They don't have a different color to them then the skin of the animal, as far as I've seen. They just feel and look like a solid lump in the skin. The groomer recently found a very large one, about the size of a golfball, in my dogs mouth and he does in fact have cancer. But something interesting that our vet told us is that they actually now have a vaccine for melanomas in dogs. It's still being studied but the article she gave us about it said that it has had a really good success rate with barely any side affects at all. They listed specific breeds that are prone to them. And we are going to look into it even though our dog is an old man, we thought even if it kept them from growing back or getting so bad this time, he'd be around a bit longer.

However if the dog is still licking it. I would check first and make sure it's not a tick. [Razz] Not that I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell what your looking at. [Wink] I just never saw my dog lick any of his. They didn't appear to bother him in anyway... well accept the huge one in his mouth, but that's because it got in the way of eating. It might also just be an actual mole. I've seen darker looking spots on dogs and they are just simply moles. And they do look like blood blisters. But again I've never seen one be bothered by it. My other thought it maybe it's a hot spot, I think that's what they are called, just starting. I'd call the vet though and ask them what they think it might be. It doesn't sound to me like a melanoma, but I'd be worried about whatever it is if it's bothering her so much.

[Angel] [Angel] I hope it isn't anything concerning. [Huggy] [Huggy]

#7 ImissMisha

ImissMisha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for your response.
Ticks a rarity in Alaska though not unheard of - I am certain this is not a tick but good suggestion to consider.

While searching the net to find a photo of a melanoma on a dog I ran across the vaccine info. That was interesting.

My dog sees the vet every month for other issues so I will just have to have it checked out on our next stop in there I guess.

#8 Stellar

Stellar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

The black spot could be a sign of an infection. If your pet has been licking the same spot over and over for an extended period of time (which I am assuming is a yes considering the hair is gone), then they probably developed a type of 'lick sore' for lack of a better word.

Go to your vet to be sure, but if it is an infection they can give you some anti-biotics, anti-itch medicine and clean out the wound.

[ 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Stellar ]