103 replies to this topic

#1 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

What do you guys think of the feeds? I've been feeding Equine Adult for many years. (we don't have any pasture and no hay) They've been getting this complete feed in place of hay.

We found a new place that deals with Nutrena. We picked up a few bags of Horse Kwik (their versioin of complete)

Does anyone have any personal experience with Nutrena? Is it a good feed?

Thanks all!

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

When my gelding had to go on a complete feed, my vet at the time recommended Purina. So I tried it.

Then I started doing research.

At the time of my research, I found the following:

-per serving, the Nutrena was better nutritionally
-the Nutrena was made to one standard, where the Purina varied depending on which plant it was made at.
-the Nutrena was less expensive
-the Nutrena was MORE palatible to my horse

I switched to Nutrena. And was very happy with the product.

Since then, I have fed a number of different Nutrena products.

#3 WildHorseSpirit

WildHorseSpirit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

We use Nutrena.
I used Purina for over 20 years but as Buddy shows is one of the reason why I switched.

I still like Omelene 100-300 and Equine Senior but I will now only use Nutrena Lite Balance or Safe Choice or Prime.

My horses don't get the stuff they can't have or need in Nutrena.

#4 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

That's makes me feel better about Nutrena. It sounds good on paper, but I didnt' have any personal experience. It's whole lot cheaper than the Purina. We are currently feeding a bag of Equine Adult a day (plus BP, BOSS, and Alfalfa cubes) and it's getting the better of us.

Fingers crossed there are no negatives!

#5 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

NC, I don't think you'll find any, frankly.

As sad and pathetic as it may be, I did a whole lot of research on this subject and really did find that bang for the buck, Nurena was best. Plus the horses seemed to like it a whole lot better.

When I moved to MI, I had to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest dealer (which blew chunks) but it was worth it.

I had fewer bad bags, horses ate better, and I was a lot more confident in the consistency of the product.

I'm not saying Purina is bad....I just happen to feel that Nutrena is superior.

#6 BB Blue

BB Blue

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

Ditto to BuddyRoo. For the past 2yrs I have had up to 13 on Nutrena SafeChoice at one time. Everything from foals to a 24yr old. They all look great, even the vet agrees.
Got started on it for Blue who had insulin issues on Omolene.
The only thing I will say, if you have one that bolts their feed, you might want to wet it.

edited for spelling! [Razz]

[ 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

#7 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

Thanks BuddyR and BB!

I'm not sure if I could feed just the safechoice... I have no hay and they need the roughage from the grain.

BB, does it swell up and cause Choke? or is that just a precaution. I don't normally wet the grain (even if it's pellets) but I do wet down the BP and Alf. cubes for the second 1/2 of their feedings. Is is just like Strategy (consistancy wise)?

#8 daphne

daphne

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

There is no need to wet down safe choice. Saf choice was made for the colic prone, or lots of horses that had to be fed together. You really can't over feed safe choice. Personnally I don't like safe choice, never did anything for my horses. Nutrena is a great feed, but you do have to watch your prices. I buy omleen 300 and it is 13 dollars a bag, with nutrena junior is is 14 dollars a bag, senior is 13 dollars, safe choice is around 12 dollars.

safe choice is considered a complete feed, but I would still feed them hay or kcubes.

#9 BB Blue

BB Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

I have never fed Strategy, so not sure. It is pellets, not big ones.
I have a couple who eat too fast and they would get so much in their mouths and kinda choke. Not a real choke, just gag like. I would wet it some, it breaks down faster and they quit gagging. I don't have to wet it anymore.
I also wet it for the foals so they could chew it easier.
One that I got had been on sweet feed. She would not eat her sweet feed when we got her home. When I put the Safechoice in front of her, she ate it right up. It smells good, sorta like alfalfa.
I find that I feed a lot less of it than Omolene and get the same results.

edited to add after daphne's post- don't you all find it amazing that feed prices vary around the country? Here SafeChoice is 10.99 a bag.

[ 08-19-2007, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: BB Blue ]

#10 lopenslow28

lopenslow28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

WHen it comes to Nutrena, we have fed the Vitality (12%), youth, Senior and are currently feeding Safe Choice. I agree with what everyone said about it. You can feed less cause it has more in it. It is VERY palatable to the horses and it's cheaper...well, around here it is!

My husband's dad had a gelding that he had on Nutrena since he bought him when he was 10. He lived till 33 and to the day he died, he always looked in good shape. You never would have known he was 33 yrs old. Good coat, good feet, good weight. and the senior feed was great because it was highly palatable and broke down REAL easy for the old many with not a lot of teeth.

I wouldn't feed anything else at this point...even if prices go up! [Wink]

#11 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

We use Nutrena pellets, less sugar,= less flies!!!! Plus our horses are not real hyper anymore as when we were using sweet feed. Been using for several years now & won't go back to sweet feed.

#12 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Wow! Someone should be paying all of us to be spokesmen! [Big Grin]

#13 BB Blue

BB Blue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

I agree BRoo [Not Worthy] Maybe we should become salespeople for Nutrena [ROTFL]

#14 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

We feed Compete 10 and a mix of shredded corn and oats to our horses. Never had a problem. I do wish it had more fat in it tho.

#15 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

Nutrena...hands down. Superior product to Purina any way.

However, you really need to be meeting their long-stem forage needs, not just their caloric needs. Soaked beet pulp is a great way to do that and it's not expensive. I buy the molasses-free shreds, soak 'em for 15 minutes and feed. They get plenty of chew time and it processes slowly through the gut like hay.

You can also use alfalfa or hay cubes to substitute. Just soak them down a bit too to lessen the chance of choke.

#16 PasoPerson38

PasoPerson38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

I feed Nutrena SafeChoice and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!
My horses feet, coat, performance, and STOMACHS, have never been better.
Great product!

#17 lopenslow28

lopenslow28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

I guess I have a hard time imagining NOT having ANY hay! For an animal that needs hay as the staple of it's diet, to not have hay would be weird. Is it cheaper to buy alfalfa cubes than it is to buy hay??? [Confused] Just curious. I have never heard of NOT feeding a horse hay...unless they were like 30 yrs old and had no teeth! [Wink]

#18 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Her horse is on pasture. They don't need hay when they have pasture as long as it's sufficient....

#19 lopenslow28

lopenslow28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

Her first post said they DON'T have pasture OR hay...I think. I'm lost... [Roll Eyes]

#20 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Maybe I am too! Oh, yes...I am...just reread--she's going to feed a complete feed...the Senior is designed to be a complete feed, though most will add alfalfa cubes for long fiber.

Sorry, I was getting my posts mixed up.

#21 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Sorry to get ya's all confused [Big Grin]

We have ZERO pasture and haven't had any hay since before Xmas. We are in severe drought and can't find any hay.

I can't find where it says that Sr or Safechoice is a complete feed. The only one that said 'no need for forage' was the Horse Kwik. It was only 10.20 a bag. The Safechoice was 11.00 a bag.

I do feed BP and Afl cubes about 2-3 hrs after we grain. In the evening they also get 1 cup of BOSS.

I wonder if I should mix the Safe choice and Kwik?

#22 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

Oh and as far as realizing that they don't need hay.. we've got an older pony who is allergic to hay/grass... so we found what worked for him (now a fat tick!)

I would LOVE to be able to put a nice big roll in their faces, but there is none to be found around here. All the normal hay ppl are keeping the hay for themselves.

We are working on gettng an huge load in from the either NY or Michigan.. but we need to get enought ppl to buy it all. I know I can't store 600 bales!

On the positive site.. It does make packing up for camping a whole lot easier... We don't have to haul in any hay!!

#23 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Nutrena Senior is a complete feed--but I would strongly suggest staying on the alfalfa cubes as well for long fiber.

When I was feeding it as a complete feed, I was going through 2 1/2 bags a week for my senior horse who could not have hay.

But, I also added the alfalfa cubes and oil for more fat calories.

It's certainly not ideal to have horses on that kind of diet long term if it can be avoided...good luck finding hay. Sorry I got lost.

#24 barefootlena

barefootlena

State of Learning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Just a quick note: someone said that SafeChoice is a complete feed, but that is incorrect. No where on the bag (and yes, I'm looking) does it say that it is a complete feed. There are guidelines for recommended feeding, and the amount of forage needed to balance everything is included.

#25 spinningpeppy

spinningpeppy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

I have fed Nutrena for 20 yrs and it is the ONLY product I will feed. It is excellent.

As for a complete feed I feed Nutrena Senior. I have a 6 yr old gelding that has an extremely sensitive stomach. He can't have any hay @ all or he will colic. I found this out after 2 yrs and tons of money with several vets. I finally took him to the University and they told me NEVER feed him hay and put him on the senior feed. I was freaking out NO HAY!!! I have never heard of this in my life. Horses are grazers they need some type of forage but the vets said my horse couldn't tolerate the changes in each load of hay. My horse has been on Nutrena Senior since Dec. of 2006 and no colic since!!!

I don't know if anyone has heard this or not but about 10 yrs ago in Florida a bunch of horses died on Purina feed. Somehow there was a mix up at the plant and some chemicals used in fertilizers got mixed with the horse feed. It was a major scare down here.

Anyways I highly recommend Nutrena.

#26 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

I just went to the Nutrena site again.. I see wher it says that Sr. can be fed as sole rations..

So now it comes to Sr. or Kwik... Maybe I can mix the two of them? I'm all for easy feeding of one kind, but I don't mind to do 1/2 and 1/2, if it's better for them.

Has anyone had any experience w the Kwik???

#27 D L Brice

D L Brice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

Personally I prefer the Nutrena over the Purina. However, I have only the experience in the Senior feeds when comparing Nutrena to Purina, and have switched off of both to the Spillers/Seminole Meadow Herb Senior. When I was feeding my 47 and 31 yr old the Senior feeds PRIOR to the S/S coming out with the Meadow Herb Sr. formula, I found that both the 31 and the 47 yr old actually LOST weight on the Purina. I phoned and expressed my concerns and was told many times by their 'experts' that I was not obviously feeding it per their instructions. I invited them out to RE WEIGH my feed, with ANY scale they wished to bring out, and when a Representative from Purina came out to do a Seminar, I took 4 sealed buckets in to them. 2 of them contained one feeding of both the 31 and the 47 yr old in the Purina, and one each of the Nutrena. After the seminar I had them WEIGH all, and they were rather embarassed to admit that I was feeding 50% MORE of the Sr than I was of the Nutrena, having to eat their own words. I was feeding the 47 yr old 3lbs 3 times a day, the 31 yr old 3 lbs 2 times a day of the Nutrena, however with the Purina, I had to feed 4.5lbs 3 times a day to the 47 yr old and 4.5 lbs 2 times a day to the 31 yr old and they STILL were not maintaining their weight !!!!!!
I had GRAVE concerns about this because it was not SAFE to feed the 47 yr old this much feed per feeding for NUMEROUS reasons.
Then I had a rep from Nutrena tell me I was 'wrong' for adding Probiotics to the Nutrena Sr as it had 'ample' probios already in the feed. I asked him what the 'RANGE' was in the Sr horses they tested, and the oldest he said, was 32. I advised him that until he had a 47 yr old in the study that perhaps he should not give that advise out so readily, adding that I pull bloodwork on my 47 yr old 2 times a year and do hair analysis at the same time, adjusting his Vit/Min supplements accordingly as I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT believe in just adding things to a horse's feed because I see it advertised.
I keep things simple and as natural as can be with the diets of my horses, so in 06 I changed my older ones to Spillers Seminole Meadow Herb Sr formula and the ONLY supplements they get is Moorman's Vitamin/Minerals as it contains a safe and effective amount of Vits. Mins and Electrolytes and of course their daily probiotics.
Diana

#28 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

okay, guys, I feed Purina Strategy, but, Im always open to new ideas and suggestions. I have read all of your posts, but, I still needed more research..

so I went to the nutrena site.. the only way to contact them is through a web form... (no phone number) so I filled out that form. they emailed me back stating they needed my *home* address in order to forward my questions to the appropriate person who can answer my questions... now, why would they need that?! oh yea, to send me junk mail... of course... they cant answer my questions unless I allow them to send me junk mail. so I sent them my information.....

to make a long story short... I have been going through the mill with them to get a few questions answered....... you know what? I can call purina mills directly, and speak to a live PERSON about any questions I have....

if their product is as good as their customer service.. NO-THANKS! I guess we are doing just fine on Strategy.

I guess they are just too big to talk to a little person like me...

[ 08-21-2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

#29 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

hhmm, that is really odd not to have a number on the site.....

I'm going to give them a month before I make my decision on whether to totally switch or do 1/2 and 1/2.

#30 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

I just wanted to ad that, Ive even tried calling the distributors that they have listed on their site from my area.... NOT ONE, answers the phone, I get voice mail or even one kid who said that its her mom who can answer my questions about the product, but, she is not currently home.... *** .... [Confused]