• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JakesMom

JakesMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

My horse Jake is a very easy keeper (I hate that term, I can't feed him enough to keep his gut full with out him turning into a hot air ballon). I have a boarding facility where most of the horses do very well on alfalfa, and grass is very hard to come by this year due to drought in the good old Pacific NW. Hay prices are out of site. My normal supplier who has really good alfalfa/grass mix (heavy on the grass) can only spare me 10 ton instead of my normal 30. I can get some green oat hay for a reasonable price but have never fed it and am not sure if it would be suitable for Jake. It seems to me that it would not be very good beings it contains the word "oat" and I always thought that after they take the oat what was left was straw.

Anyway I am confused about the stuff. Is it very fattening because it is oat or is it just straw with no nutrinal value.

Can anyone out there give me some idea about feeding Oat Hay??

Thanks

#2 BB Blue

BB Blue

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Found this on the internet - http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_oat_hay_turns/

Another link about oat hay and horses -
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/news/2000/Sep/oathay.htm

Sounds okay to me as long as you can check the nitrate levels.

#3 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

Having grown up in S Ca, oat hay was our grass hay. Everyone fed it with alfalfa and my horses loved it. If it's green, it's immature hay and the oats were not harvested. Very pallatable and nutritionally comperable to grass. Many hay brokers have large lots of hay analyzed as part of the process to set the price. Ask. Will he hold the hay while you get it analyzed if he hasn't? (cost about $30 and can save you alot of $$ if you are adding stuff shotgun style) You can make up what is lacking with loose vitamins/minerals so you're not balancing it with high calorie concentrates.

I would not pass on it just because it's not what you normally feed. Oat hay is the unknown forage out there and many will pass on it, thus keeping the demand and price down, while getting into a bidding war over marginal grass hay. Your extension office/coop can give you parameters of what oat hay in you area normally comes in at if you have to make a decision right now. It's the first of October, I'd buy it.

[ 09-26-2007, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: daisysmom ]

#4 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

As another person from So cal, we also fed oat hay along with our alfalfa. Only thing I noticed with most of the horses was that they didn't like the green oat hay. They much prefer it to be more brown, like straw. But, I would try it.

It is like grass hay in that they don't get as fat on it as alfalfa, but over fed and you will have fatties. I free fed it to my mare when she was pregnant. Kept her busy and didn't really make her fat.Plus it is not any where near as high in calcium as alfalfa.

#5 JakesMom

JakesMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

My horse Jake is a very easy keeper (I hate that term, I can't feed him enough to keep his gut full with out him turning into a hot air ballon). I have a boarding facility where most of the horses do very well on alfalfa, and grass is very hard to come by this year due to drought in the good old Pacific NW. Hay prices are out of site. My normal supplier who has really good alfalfa/grass mix (heavy on the grass) can only spare me 10 ton instead of my normal 30. I can get some green oat hay for a reasonable price but have never fed it and am not sure if it would be suitable for Jake. It seems to me that it would not be very good beings it contains the word "oat" and I always thought that after they take the oat what was left was straw.

Anyway I am confused about the stuff. Is it very fattening because it is oat or is it just straw with no nutrinal value.

Can anyone out there give me some idea about feeding Oat Hay??

Thanks

#6 BB Blue

BB Blue

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Found this on the internet - http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_oat_hay_turns/

Another link about oat hay and horses -
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/news/2000/Sep/oathay.htm

Sounds okay to me as long as you can check the nitrate levels.

#7 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

Having grown up in S Ca, oat hay was our grass hay. Everyone fed it with alfalfa and my horses loved it. If it's green, it's immature hay and the oats were not harvested. Very pallatable and nutritionally comperable to grass. Many hay brokers have large lots of hay analyzed as part of the process to set the price. Ask. Will he hold the hay while you get it analyzed if he hasn't? (cost about $30 and can save you alot of $$ if you are adding stuff shotgun style) You can make up what is lacking with loose vitamins/minerals so you're not balancing it with high calorie concentrates.

I would not pass on it just because it's not what you normally feed. Oat hay is the unknown forage out there and many will pass on it, thus keeping the demand and price down, while getting into a bidding war over marginal grass hay. Your extension office/coop can give you parameters of what oat hay in you area normally comes in at if you have to make a decision right now. It's the first of October, I'd buy it.

[ 09-26-2007, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: daisysmom ]

#8 Itchysmom

Itchysmom

Dionne Sidhe

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

As another person from So cal, we also fed oat hay along with our alfalfa. Only thing I noticed with most of the horses was that they didn't like the green oat hay. They much prefer it to be more brown, like straw. But, I would try it.

It is like grass hay in that they don't get as fat on it as alfalfa, but over fed and you will have fatties. I free fed it to my mare when she was pregnant. Kept her busy and didn't really make her fat.Plus it is not any where near as high in calcium as alfalfa.