• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

My 22 yr old gelding has had bad diarrhea for months, it gets a little better then straight water again. Took him to the vet 2 weeks ago, she told us to use fast track, I cannot find it any where. He's lost weight, can't ride him because of arthritis. Sh also suggested a higher protein feed & red cell which I have started him on. Any ideas????

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yeah. Find a new vet.

Any bloodwork done at the time? Fecal?

There are lots of things that can cause loose stools.

Parasites, lack of sufficient bacteria in the gut, colitis, other infections, etc etc.

Here's a link to order Fastrack

http://www.mooreagrisales.com/

#3 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

thanks Buddyroo, no she didn't do blood work it was a Sat. & only works 1/2 day. She is the only vet there & has every thing to do herself, dogs cats horses etc.
I found
another Micrbial supplement & using that, thanks for the site!!!!

#4 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

He really needs a fecal and bloodwork and I would not add more protein and red cell with out checking both of those.

#5 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Sounds like he's having trouble digesting... I would go with a pellet... Oz (Ozland) can help you on what type of pellet and any extra's that your horse may need. You could PM her rather than wait for her to see this thread. [Big Grin]

#6 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

find a better vet.. ASAP (no-excuses), keep him hydrated in the meantime...

PS, meantime doesnt mean a week...

if I was in your situation, and if it was something my vet could not handle, Id have the vet start IV fluids and take him to the hospital..

get him worked up by a professional asap.. when colitis hits, it hits hard, and you will say "bye-bye" Im surprised that he has gone on this long...

good luck [Smiley Wavey]

#7 ej

ej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Diarrhea can be caused by ulcers, parasites, sand,salmonella, potomac horse ferver, altered intestinal flora, diet, excessive carbohydrates, inflammatory bowel syndrome,tumor, altered organ function or it can be unknown.
"Due to the large hind gut in the horse, if they develop an inflammatory condition or a malabsorption syndrome, they can lose tremendous amounts of fluid from the body. Some horses with diarrhea can lose as much as 10 gallons of water and salts per day. The resulting dehydration can be fatal, or it can lead to other serious problems, including electrolyte imbalances, weight loss, laminitis, and kidney failure".
I would find an equine vet, sounds like there is cause for concern.

#8 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone!!! He has lost some weight, had his teeth floated, she said his teeth are ground down in places it's called wave ?????? He has a good appetite & drinks plenty of water. Actually I've been thinking about having him put down because of arthritis, he's been on bute for a while, then I took him off of it, because of side affects. The vet said as long as he has a good appetite & isn't laying down for days at a time she wouldn't do it if it were her. He has bad days & good days, most of the time he is up but having hip problems too. Thanks for your input !!!!

#9 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

My aged Appaloosa gelding had chronic diarrhea for the last three years of his life. (age 27-29)

I wish we had internet at that time, then I could have researched and possibly found him a cure? As it is, I trusted my vet at the time. No fecal (wormed regularly and UTD on vaccs) or blood test was done. My Old Guy had several tumors removed externally and it was suspected that he had internal tumors irritating his gut.

I fed him a Senior pelleted feed and purchased leafy hay with small stems. He had bad teeth; worn down and could no longer be floated without removing gum tissue.

At the time of his euth/burial, the administering vet (different state) was impressed with his age, health problems and how well he looked condition-wise in SPITE of the problems he faced.

This CAN be managed, but it is best (I know now) to try to fix it for the horse as a host of other problems can occur. I think I was just lucky with my Old Guy.
h

#10 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

Lets start with what exactly ARE you feeding him? If it isn't a good quality senior feed, it should be, but not as the only food. If he can't chew hay or grass, soak hay cubes for him too. Probios is a good microbial, and I would be dosing him once a month with the paste, or daily with the powder.
If this has been going on for months, it's less likely to be an infection, since he would probably be dead by now if it were. You can do a check for sand yourself by putting some manure (if you can get an uncontaminated sample) in a baggie with some water and shake. If sand is present, it will settle to the bottom. You could also try slowing it down by giving 15cc of Pepto morning and night for 3 days. And I agree, get a better vet. You spent your money for pretty much nothing there.

#11 itsaSUTHURNthang

itsaSUTHURNthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

What kind of feed program is he on? What kind of grain and hay?

I would start him on daily ProBios and run a week of Sand Clear through him.

But I agree with the others...find a new vet. This could be serious...and they havn't done a fecal or blood work??

Good luck, Keep us updated.

=]

#12 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

Ask me about my Limousin service

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Listen to Oz. She knows what she is talking about.

You are not far from Montezuma. Go to Mid Ga Farm Service. They carry Fast Track. PM me if you want their phone number.

#13 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, Bute will cause ulcers, so that is a possibility. I didn't notice it if anyone has mentioned it, but I think sand in the gut also can lead to diarrhea.

#14 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Probios! and sand clear.
having a horse on bute can cause runny poop.
but I also agree with everyone get a new vet!
asap.
good luck

#15 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

My 22 yr old gelding has had bad diarrhea for months, it gets a little better then straight water again. Took him to the vet 2 weeks ago, she told us to use fast track, I cannot find it any where. He's lost weight, can't ride him because of arthritis. Sh also suggested a higher protein feed & red cell which I have started him on. Any ideas????

#16 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yeah. Find a new vet.

Any bloodwork done at the time? Fecal?

There are lots of things that can cause loose stools.

Parasites, lack of sufficient bacteria in the gut, colitis, other infections, etc etc.

Here's a link to order Fastrack

http://www.mooreagrisales.com/

#17 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

thanks Buddyroo, no she didn't do blood work it was a Sat. & only works 1/2 day. She is the only vet there & has every thing to do herself, dogs cats horses etc.
I found
another Micrbial supplement & using that, thanks for the site!!!!

#18 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

He really needs a fecal and bloodwork and I would not add more protein and red cell with out checking both of those.

#19 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Sounds like he's having trouble digesting... I would go with a pellet... Oz (Ozland) can help you on what type of pellet and any extra's that your horse may need. You could PM her rather than wait for her to see this thread. [Big Grin]

#20 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

find a better vet.. ASAP (no-excuses), keep him hydrated in the meantime...

PS, meantime doesnt mean a week...

if I was in your situation, and if it was something my vet could not handle, Id have the vet start IV fluids and take him to the hospital..

get him worked up by a professional asap.. when colitis hits, it hits hard, and you will say "bye-bye" Im surprised that he has gone on this long...

good luck [Smiley Wavey]

#21 ej

ej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Diarrhea can be caused by ulcers, parasites, sand,salmonella, potomac horse ferver, altered intestinal flora, diet, excessive carbohydrates, inflammatory bowel syndrome,tumor, altered organ function or it can be unknown.
"Due to the large hind gut in the horse, if they develop an inflammatory condition or a malabsorption syndrome, they can lose tremendous amounts of fluid from the body. Some horses with diarrhea can lose as much as 10 gallons of water and salts per day. The resulting dehydration can be fatal, or it can lead to other serious problems, including electrolyte imbalances, weight loss, laminitis, and kidney failure".
I would find an equine vet, sounds like there is cause for concern.

#22 Gacowgirl-2006

Gacowgirl-2006

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone!!! He has lost some weight, had his teeth floated, she said his teeth are ground down in places it's called wave ?????? He has a good appetite & drinks plenty of water. Actually I've been thinking about having him put down because of arthritis, he's been on bute for a while, then I took him off of it, because of side affects. The vet said as long as he has a good appetite & isn't laying down for days at a time she wouldn't do it if it were her. He has bad days & good days, most of the time he is up but having hip problems too. Thanks for your input !!!!

#23 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

My aged Appaloosa gelding had chronic diarrhea for the last three years of his life. (age 27-29)

I wish we had internet at that time, then I could have researched and possibly found him a cure? As it is, I trusted my vet at the time. No fecal (wormed regularly and UTD on vaccs) or blood test was done. My Old Guy had several tumors removed externally and it was suspected that he had internal tumors irritating his gut.

I fed him a Senior pelleted feed and purchased leafy hay with small stems. He had bad teeth; worn down and could no longer be floated without removing gum tissue.

At the time of his euth/burial, the administering vet (different state) was impressed with his age, health problems and how well he looked condition-wise in SPITE of the problems he faced.

This CAN be managed, but it is best (I know now) to try to fix it for the horse as a host of other problems can occur. I think I was just lucky with my Old Guy.
h

#24 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

Lets start with what exactly ARE you feeding him? If it isn't a good quality senior feed, it should be, but not as the only food. If he can't chew hay or grass, soak hay cubes for him too. Probios is a good microbial, and I would be dosing him once a month with the paste, or daily with the powder.
If this has been going on for months, it's less likely to be an infection, since he would probably be dead by now if it were. You can do a check for sand yourself by putting some manure (if you can get an uncontaminated sample) in a baggie with some water and shake. If sand is present, it will settle to the bottom. You could also try slowing it down by giving 15cc of Pepto morning and night for 3 days. And I agree, get a better vet. You spent your money for pretty much nothing there.

#25 itsaSUTHURNthang

itsaSUTHURNthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

What kind of feed program is he on? What kind of grain and hay?

I would start him on daily ProBios and run a week of Sand Clear through him.

But I agree with the others...find a new vet. This could be serious...and they havn't done a fecal or blood work??

Good luck, Keep us updated.

=]

#26 TxCowgirl57

TxCowgirl57

Ask me about my Limousin service

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Listen to Oz. She knows what she is talking about.

You are not far from Montezuma. Go to Mid Ga Farm Service. They carry Fast Track. PM me if you want their phone number.

#27 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well, Bute will cause ulcers, so that is a possibility. I didn't notice it if anyone has mentioned it, but I think sand in the gut also can lead to diarrhea.

#28 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Probios! and sand clear.
having a horse on bute can cause runny poop.
but I also agree with everyone get a new vet!
asap.
good luck