3 replies to this topic

#1 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

It not unusual to be loved by anyone!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for horses to eat a type of mushroom that would cause a "psychadelic episode"?

2 horses of mine have come down with odd symptoms mimicking a colic type reaction. One was 3 days ago,..and now today.

Both horses walked a few feet,..then lay down,..walked a few feet,..then layed down,..then rolled and rolled and rolled,..almost like colic,..but then would get up and poop,..spin around,..lay down again.Gut sounds normal,no fever,just,.."out of it" and spacy like.They'd both get up if asked to,..but would always be seeking another spot to lay down.

This went on for 4 hours with one,..and 7 1/2 hours with the other.

The only reason we didn't call the vet was because they both had normal stools,..normal gut sounds,..were passing gas,..and would swallow water if given to them,..but BOTH stopped grazing for the alotted time frames.

BOTH acted as if they were "dreaming" and just sighing alot whiel down.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Were they "tripping"?

Hubby noticed the heads of some mushrooms we knew were there and then weren't later on.

We looked them up and they are NOT poisionous mushrooms btu I did not know if it could cause thsi type of a "trip" with horses?

Shelley

#2 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:54 AM

Long ago my old best friends mom had psychedelic mushrooms growing in her field, her cow ate a bunch and apparently was tripping for 24 hours, so yeah, it could be possible.

#3 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

It not unusual to be loved by anyone!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for horses to eat a type of mushroom that would cause a "psychadelic episode"?

2 horses of mine have come down with odd symptoms mimicking a colic type reaction. One was 3 days ago,..and now today.

Both horses walked a few feet,..then lay down,..walked a few feet,..then layed down,..then rolled and rolled and rolled,..almost like colic,..but then would get up and poop,..spin around,..lay down again.Gut sounds normal,no fever,just,.."out of it" and spacy like.They'd both get up if asked to,..but would always be seeking another spot to lay down.

This went on for 4 hours with one,..and 7 1/2 hours with the other.

The only reason we didn't call the vet was because they both had normal stools,..normal gut sounds,..were passing gas,..and would swallow water if given to them,..but BOTH stopped grazing for the alotted time frames.

BOTH acted as if they were "dreaming" and just sighing alot whiel down.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Were they "tripping"?

Hubby noticed the heads of some mushrooms we knew were there and then weren't later on.

We looked them up and they are NOT poisionous mushrooms btu I did not know if it could cause thsi type of a "trip" with horses?

Shelley

#4 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:54 AM

Long ago my old best friends mom had psychedelic mushrooms growing in her field, her cow ate a bunch and apparently was tripping for 24 hours, so yeah, it could be possible.