• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silverlakehorses

silverlakehorses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions about underbelly sores? I thought they were associated with not worming or flies, but that isn't the situation. Ocassionally there is some swelling too. A country vet said it was just fluid and it would go away.
Thanks.

#2 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,388 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Soft pouchy swellings under the belly is called 'edema' and it will go away on its own. Sometimes light exercise will help, just to keep blood flowing and help to work the swelling around and diffuse it.

My young mare gets sores on her belly mid-line from fly or midge bites. She is sensitive to the bug bites and has an allergic reaction. She doesn't swell, but she itches like crazy.

This fall, her mid-line wasn't healing. It was still scabby and raw looking. She rubbed most of her mane out and the next night she had rubbed out almost the rest of it.
So...I roached it all off.
I treated her with a fungus product and her bumpy skin in her mane healed, but she had two small 'scrapes'? at the crest of her neck that weren't healing.
So...I clipped all the hair away from it.
And they healed right up! The next morning I took the clippers and clipped all the hair away from her mid-line problem areas....and they have healed nicely, too.

I can only guess that perhaps 'something' was in the hair and preventing the sores from healing. Without the hair to re-infect the sores...healing could finally occur. I think it also made it easier for the medicine (creams/sprays) to actually get on the wound and skin instead of getting stuck in the hair.

Best of luck to you...
Heidi

#3 silverlakehorses

silverlakehorses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Heidi, Thanks so much for you words. You sound right on track. Both of my horses do have allergies so it could be a combination. I was able to give them a good work out today and it is actually better. I'll clip the hair away too. It's great to have a good horse source. May someone be as kind to you. [Smile]

#4 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by silverlakehorses:
May someone be as kind to you. [Smile]

Thank you, someone was!
Previously, I posted my problem with Q's sensitivity on a horse forum (not this one) that is monitored by staff at Horse & Rider and they published my query in the magazine and had their staff veterinarian respond.
Another member who subscribes to H&R contacted them to contact me because she wanted to send me a product she distributes to try. I received it, and a very nice email from her...but I am sad to say the product did very little to help Q.
But it was VERY nice that someone cared enough to try to help us. [Wink]

#5 silverlakehorses

silverlakehorses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions about underbelly sores? I thought they were associated with not worming or flies, but that isn't the situation. Ocassionally there is some swelling too. A country vet said it was just fluid and it would go away.
Thanks.

#6 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,388 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Soft pouchy swellings under the belly is called 'edema' and it will go away on its own. Sometimes light exercise will help, just to keep blood flowing and help to work the swelling around and diffuse it.

My young mare gets sores on her belly mid-line from fly or midge bites. She is sensitive to the bug bites and has an allergic reaction. She doesn't swell, but she itches like crazy.

This fall, her mid-line wasn't healing. It was still scabby and raw looking. She rubbed most of her mane out and the next night she had rubbed out almost the rest of it.
So...I roached it all off.
I treated her with a fungus product and her bumpy skin in her mane healed, but she had two small 'scrapes'? at the crest of her neck that weren't healing.
So...I clipped all the hair away from it.
And they healed right up! The next morning I took the clippers and clipped all the hair away from her mid-line problem areas....and they have healed nicely, too.

I can only guess that perhaps 'something' was in the hair and preventing the sores from healing. Without the hair to re-infect the sores...healing could finally occur. I think it also made it easier for the medicine (creams/sprays) to actually get on the wound and skin instead of getting stuck in the hair.

Best of luck to you...
Heidi

#7 silverlakehorses

silverlakehorses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Heidi, Thanks so much for you words. You sound right on track. Both of my horses do have allergies so it could be a combination. I was able to give them a good work out today and it is actually better. I'll clip the hair away too. It's great to have a good horse source. May someone be as kind to you. [Smile]

#8 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by silverlakehorses:
May someone be as kind to you. [Smile]

Thank you, someone was!
Previously, I posted my problem with Q's sensitivity on a horse forum (not this one) that is monitored by staff at Horse & Rider and they published my query in the magazine and had their staff veterinarian respond.
Another member who subscribes to H&R contacted them to contact me because she wanted to send me a product she distributes to try. I received it, and a very nice email from her...but I am sad to say the product did very little to help Q.
But it was VERY nice that someone cared enough to try to help us. [Wink]