Quantcast

Photo

asprin for dogs?"Update" Liver and Kidney counts off the charts.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Can a dog be given asprin? If not, what could you give a dog for pain? Thanks in advance for any help [Smile]

[ 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: sweetvelocity ]

#2 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Yes.

#3 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

I'd strongly advise against giving meds w/o talking to a vet. If the dog is in pain, there may be a reason that needs to be addressed before masking symptoms.

#4 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

good for you. ALWAYS check first with a vet cause... aspirin...the answer is sometimes/maybe....tylenol... maybe rarely, but NEVER in a cat! and then other things...ibuprofen! NO NEVER! well, rarely ever.

here's the deal with aspirin... it's only a mild pain reliever... and more for inflammatory pain. ie..arthritis. in a pinch... i suppose it's okay. But you have to be very careful how you dose it. and.. you don't want to give it with other medications (specific ones..). BUT... it's very harsh on the stomach, can cause bleeding problems if your pet has bleeding tendencies or certain issues. and... it can cause ulcers, nausea, vomiting, etc. and it just doesn't work real well in general.

what i would do is call your vet or emergency vet and tell them what's going on and see if they can recommend a dose over the phone. just be forewarned...most vets won't without seeing your pet if they don't know your pet. it's illegal pretty much, so that's why we can't do it.

and WHY I can't tell you.
also... i'd need to know weight, other medications, health problems, and why you thought your dog was in pain. if it's just arthritis...maybe one aspirin or part of an aspirin would help tonight. but i would make a vet appt and get something with less GI side-effects. talk to your vet about rimadyl, or my fave tramadol!
or any of the others. if it's for something acute or more than just arthritis...you may just need to go to the vet tonight on emergency basis.
what's your dog doing?

#5 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

Actually, although aspirin can cause GI irritation, rimadyl can cause liver damage. I'll take GI irritation over liver damage any day. I dosed (with vet's approval) my arthritic dog with aspirin twice daily for over three years and never had a problem. Maybe because I wrapped the aspirin in Velveeta and dosed her prior to feeding her, so she never had aspirin on an empty stomach, my dog never had a problem. Well actually, once we had a problem. When my dog was scheduled for cancer surgery, I forgot that she was taking aspirin, so when she was having her pre-surgery lab work done, her coagulation time was extremely long. Of course, I figured out the problem, and we postponed surgery for a week. Granted, some dogs develop ulcers, but, to tell the truth, I personally prefer trying aspirin before rimadyl.

[ 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: SusieQ ]

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

Rimadyl is just like any other NSAID regarding liver damage. All NSAIDS can cause problems like that. Though none typically cause it with a few days worth of dosing. It's more over time.

Rimadyl gets a bad wrap for that as it's most commonly prescribed for arthritis conditions and therefore, given daily over time.

ALL NSAIDs have the potential for liver damage.

That includes aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen--and non-steroidal anti inflammatory--they're all processed by the liver.

#7 ryde2rope

ryde2rope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

A vet told me when I have to give aspirin to my dog, he suffers from a chronic front leg injury when he was a puppy and limps sometimes, to give him "Ascriptin" its asprin but its an asprin but its buffered with Maalox to keep from upsetting the syomach. It is available at any drug store.It helps him alot.

[ 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: ryde2rope ]

#8 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

yeah... rimadyl can cause liver disease... so can all the nsaids. and my dog died from a liver abscess shortly after taking rimadyl...hence why i said my favorite is tramadol! no liver issues, no GI issues [Smile] just not as potent anti-inflammatory, but great for pain [Smile]

but anyways... there is risks with all pain meds...that's why you need to talk to your vet about what will work best for you dog.

and... i saw a dog that recieved aspirin and alleve come really close to dying and ended up at the university and had atleast one surgery... just because of ulcers. ulcers aren't that benign! course, neither is liver disease.
but anyways... not the point. check with your vet.

and.... you can add in GI protectants like pepcid or whatever to help. sometimes it just depends on the dog. my MIL's dog was anemic from being on so many nsaids to manage his arthritis and had to be pulled off them for awhile.

take home point... there are alot of pain meds to help manage your pets pain. they all have side-effects and all have certain restrictions. ALWAYS talk to a vet first. would suck to find out that just because you gave your dog 1 naproxen or ibuprofen you sent it into liver and kidney failure. so always check first. AND if it's THAT painful that you can't wait to check with your vet... it should be seen by the emergency vet cause anything in your medicine cabinet is NOT going to make your pet comfy enough [Smile]

oh, and buffered aspirin is gentler, but still has the side effects on clotting.

#9 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Actually, aspirin has less liver toxicity than any other NSAID. In fact, you really don't see liver damage, except for elevated enzymes sometimes when you do blood work. Many other NSAIDs do actually cause significant liver damage. And acetaminophen is not an NSAID. Has no anti-inflammatory activity. But certainly does cause liver (and renal) damage.

#10 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

I never did give the dog aspirin. We were not sure if it was aspirin or tylenol that dogs could not have. Anyways, I did contact a vet today because the dog started passing blood with his BM. It was a lot of blood and it was not in the stool. He will be going to the vets tomorrow and I will keep you updated. Thanks for the info.

P.S. Vet said he could have the aspirin, but I decided against it due to his bleeding.

#11 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

Has your dog been eating anything weird? I had a puppy eat some sandpaper - and she ended up with colitis. I can't remember how the vet treated it (30 years ago), but she recovered completely. More recently my (now deceased) Boston terrier ate some pecans, shell and all, and he was bleeding from his anus. We think a piece of shell cut his intestine. In his case, the vet treated him with metronidazole, and he recovered completely also. Has your dog been eating bones or chewing on wood? Hopefully, whatever is wrong with your dog, he will recover completely.

#12 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

sorry about your pup! glad you didn't give him the aspirin. i would stay away from any of the NSAIDS for the moment.

bloody stool/bleeding butt can be due to a ton of things... intestinal parasites, HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis), foreign body, obstruction, bleeding diseases, platelet diseases, ulceration, masses in the colon, parvo (if he's young), and...the list goes on.
definately sounds like a vet visit is in order.
good luck and keep us updated [Smile]

#13 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

He is very old and has only six teeth so I am sure he has not ingested anything he should not have. Plus he has no interest in eating much. He does go through phases of not wanting to eat and can be a little picky. I was thinking it could be a burst blood vein or something bad like cancer. The vet told me that she was not overly concerned because the blood was bright red "oxygen rich blood". She would be concerned if the blood was dark. Will know more tomorrow. Thanks you guys [Wink]

#14 DraftHorse

DraftHorse

The receiver of packages and the inhabitant of dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

We were told that aspirin is OK, but not long term. It seems like there are varying vet opinions on this.

My dog ended up on Deramax, which helped his old arthritic bones tremendously.

#15 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

aspirin CAN be okay... but you need to talk to your vet first. so yes... not so much that the opinion varies vet to vet... just it varies dog to dog. [Smile]

and... bright red blood means that it is coming from the back part of the intestinal tract...colon. dark brown blood means it's coming from the front part of the intestines...stomach and first part of the small intestines. so gastric ulcers not really likely in your dog, but colonic ulcers or colonic issues are more likely.

good luck. hope it's not something too bad.

#16 horse_gal_jen

horse_gal_jen

horse_gal_jen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

thought you might find this useful.

-

#17 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

Got an update on poor Snowball. His Liver and Kidney counts are off the charts high. 3 and 4 times higher then normal. They said that he could be put on meds to regulate it, but it would not fix the issue causing the high Liver and Kindney. They took blood, but did no x-rays and had nothing much to offer other than that. The vet said that cancer would not cause high Liver and Kidney counts.

#18 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

i'm sorry.
elevated kidney enzymes can be due to pre-renal, renal, or post-renal causes...and sometimes GI bleeding. pre-renal would be dehydration, renal would be kidney disease/failure, and post-renal is an obstructed ureter or something like that. for them to be "off the charts" it's not likely dehydration. and if your dog is still peeing, it's likely not post-renal. So... i'm betting your dog is in kidney failure. can be due to age or it can be a toxin, infectious disease, or cancer.

liver enzymes can be elevated due to various disease processes affecting the liver.
with both being elevated i would talk to your vet about lepto. they pick it up via contaminated water and it can cause kidney and liver failure.
i wouldn't rule cancer out, but it doesn't necessarily cause kidney and liver enzymes to be elevated. but it could cause those organs to start to dysfunction causing the elevations.
if your pet's enzymes are really through the roof, did they recommend IV fluids to help bring them down and get her more comfy? did they do a urinalysis to check her kidney function another way?
what did they recommend you do?
good luck. i hope she feels better soon.

#19 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

The only thing they offered was some meds to regulate things. If it were my dog I would put him down, but its my Aunt, Dad, Uncles dog. The dog was left to all three of them after grandma passed.

#20 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

i'm sorry. i hope he starts feeling better or they realize that he won't and can give him a peaceful end.
[Huggy]

#21 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

Can a dog be given asprin? If not, what could you give a dog for pain? Thanks in advance for any help [Smile]

[ 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: sweetvelocity ]

#22 daisysmom

daisysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Yes.

#23 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

I'd strongly advise against giving meds w/o talking to a vet. If the dog is in pain, there may be a reason that needs to be addressed before masking symptoms.

#24 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

good for you. ALWAYS check first with a vet cause... aspirin...the answer is sometimes/maybe....tylenol... maybe rarely, but NEVER in a cat! and then other things...ibuprofen! NO NEVER! well, rarely ever.

here's the deal with aspirin... it's only a mild pain reliever... and more for inflammatory pain. ie..arthritis. in a pinch... i suppose it's okay. But you have to be very careful how you dose it. and.. you don't want to give it with other medications (specific ones..). BUT... it's very harsh on the stomach, can cause bleeding problems if your pet has bleeding tendencies or certain issues. and... it can cause ulcers, nausea, vomiting, etc. and it just doesn't work real well in general.

what i would do is call your vet or emergency vet and tell them what's going on and see if they can recommend a dose over the phone. just be forewarned...most vets won't without seeing your pet if they don't know your pet. it's illegal pretty much, so that's why we can't do it.

and WHY I can't tell you.
also... i'd need to know weight, other medications, health problems, and why you thought your dog was in pain. if it's just arthritis...maybe one aspirin or part of an aspirin would help tonight. but i would make a vet appt and get something with less GI side-effects. talk to your vet about rimadyl, or my fave tramadol!
or any of the others. if it's for something acute or more than just arthritis...you may just need to go to the vet tonight on emergency basis.
what's your dog doing?

#25 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

Actually, although aspirin can cause GI irritation, rimadyl can cause liver damage. I'll take GI irritation over liver damage any day. I dosed (with vet's approval) my arthritic dog with aspirin twice daily for over three years and never had a problem. Maybe because I wrapped the aspirin in Velveeta and dosed her prior to feeding her, so she never had aspirin on an empty stomach, my dog never had a problem. Well actually, once we had a problem. When my dog was scheduled for cancer surgery, I forgot that she was taking aspirin, so when she was having her pre-surgery lab work done, her coagulation time was extremely long. Of course, I figured out the problem, and we postponed surgery for a week. Granted, some dogs develop ulcers, but, to tell the truth, I personally prefer trying aspirin before rimadyl.

[ 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: SusieQ ]

#26 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

Rimadyl is just like any other NSAID regarding liver damage. All NSAIDS can cause problems like that. Though none typically cause it with a few days worth of dosing. It's more over time.

Rimadyl gets a bad wrap for that as it's most commonly prescribed for arthritis conditions and therefore, given daily over time.

ALL NSAIDs have the potential for liver damage.

That includes aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen--and non-steroidal anti inflammatory--they're all processed by the liver.

#27 ryde2rope

ryde2rope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

A vet told me when I have to give aspirin to my dog, he suffers from a chronic front leg injury when he was a puppy and limps sometimes, to give him "Ascriptin" its asprin but its an asprin but its buffered with Maalox to keep from upsetting the syomach. It is available at any drug store.It helps him alot.

[ 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: ryde2rope ]

#28 FleckenAwesome

FleckenAwesome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

yeah... rimadyl can cause liver disease... so can all the nsaids. and my dog died from a liver abscess shortly after taking rimadyl...hence why i said my favorite is tramadol! no liver issues, no GI issues [Smile] just not as potent anti-inflammatory, but great for pain [Smile]

but anyways... there is risks with all pain meds...that's why you need to talk to your vet about what will work best for you dog.

and... i saw a dog that recieved aspirin and alleve come really close to dying and ended up at the university and had atleast one surgery... just because of ulcers. ulcers aren't that benign! course, neither is liver disease.
but anyways... not the point. check with your vet.

and.... you can add in GI protectants like pepcid or whatever to help. sometimes it just depends on the dog. my MIL's dog was anemic from being on so many nsaids to manage his arthritis and had to be pulled off them for awhile.

take home point... there are alot of pain meds to help manage your pets pain. they all have side-effects and all have certain restrictions. ALWAYS talk to a vet first. would suck to find out that just because you gave your dog 1 naproxen or ibuprofen you sent it into liver and kidney failure. so always check first. AND if it's THAT painful that you can't wait to check with your vet... it should be seen by the emergency vet cause anything in your medicine cabinet is NOT going to make your pet comfy enough [Smile]

oh, and buffered aspirin is gentler, but still has the side effects on clotting.

#29 SusieQ

SusieQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Actually, aspirin has less liver toxicity than any other NSAID. In fact, you really don't see liver damage, except for elevated enzymes sometimes when you do blood work. Many other NSAIDs do actually cause significant liver damage. And acetaminophen is not an NSAID. Has no anti-inflammatory activity. But certainly does cause liver (and renal) damage.

#30 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

I never did give the dog aspirin. We were not sure if it was aspirin or tylenol that dogs could not have. Anyways, I did contact a vet today because the dog started passing blood with his BM. It was a lot of blood and it was not in the stool. He will be going to the vets tomorrow and I will keep you updated. Thanks for the info.

P.S. Vet said he could have the aspirin, but I decided against it due to his bleeding.