• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

what are the symptoms of a horse with Flapper Problems? And what are those problems and what can you do for them? And please share any stories you have about horses with flapper problems

Thank you

Also posted on H/J

#2 Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Are you talking about Roarers or about horses that have a nervous tic where they flap their lower lip?

I know it sounds stupid, but I have to ask.

#3 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

not the lower lip thing..haha

i dont know about the roars...

im talking about like sometimes horses have to have Tieback surgrey on there flapper...how would you know if a horse was having issues with that flapper?

#4 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Well, let's get terminology on the same page here....."Flapper" typically refers to epiglottis and tie-back surgery has nothing to do with the epiglottis.

The tie-back surgery is for "roaring" or laryngeal hemiplegia. The vocal cords do not have appropriate innervation, and subsequently do not retract out of the way during respiration, subsequently causing vibration of the cords during inhalation. Tie-back surgery does literally that: Ties the vocal cords out of the way. Obviously, a tad more technical than that......

"Flapper" and to be honest, I really don't know what you're talking about....whether its epiglottis or palate. There are a couple of other conditions possible including epiglottic entrapment and dorsal displacement of the soft palate. In any of the conditions, decreased performane is common, but generally only at the upper-end and elite level, such as a race horse or upper level eventer. Lower level athletes may experience some minimal decrease in performance.

#5 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

CVM...I don't know what I am talking about ether...heh... [Question]

I guess flapper was not what I was thinking...

um..

My gelding is a 10 (or is he 11...) year old gelding OTTB.. Sometimes if he canters for awhile he will start coughing like the trying to clear his throat..sometimes looks like he is having a hard time breathing..(this is mostly when he takes off running around his pasture)..When I work him and warm him up he dose not seem to have this issue...He dose not roar..and he nickers fine (and rather loudly)

Most of the time he eats fine..sometimes he will dunk it..(thought he only dose this maybe once a feeding since he got his teeth done last week)

So far he has evented up to Training (not with me)

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

Sounds more like heaves to me.

What does your vet say?

#7 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cassy:

that just made me laugh out loud..... [ROTFL] [ROTFL]

YEP, Ive been there before too... [Embarrassed]

[ 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

#8 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

I haven't talked to the vet about it..As I said he dose not do this if he is warmed up before he canters...Its not a cough like from the lungs/gut its more like he's just trying to clear his throat..

#9 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like heaves to me, too.

Watch his flank or actually the muscle right in front of his flank (on his back ribs). Do you see a muscle contraction there when he breathes? There will be a crease or line show up there when he coughs or struggles to breathe. It is called a 'heave line' and will tell a novice that this is the problem.

Ask your vet to evaluate him. You may need to do something as simple as soaking his hay and keeping him out of dust.

#10 noip1963

noip1963

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like heaves to me also.

That is exactly how I would describe what my horse was doing when I talked to the vet to get him out here.

He was making noises like he was clearing his throat.

Best to get the vet out there and get it cleared up.

Is your hay dusty or have any mold in it?
How's your barn? dirty? dusty up in the rafters?
If so, you need to get that cleaned up asap.

#11 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

He dose not have a heave line. i have been around horses with heaves. and this just dose not fit..He dose not do it when he is stalled. he dose not do it when i lunge him (i.e troted and warmed up before cantering)..

#12 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

what are the symptoms of a horse with Flapper Problems? And what are those problems and what can you do for them? And please share any stories you have about horses with flapper problems

Thank you

Also posted on H/J

#13 Brooksie

Brooksie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Are you talking about Roarers or about horses that have a nervous tic where they flap their lower lip?

I know it sounds stupid, but I have to ask.

#14 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

not the lower lip thing..haha

i dont know about the roars...

im talking about like sometimes horses have to have Tieback surgrey on there flapper...how would you know if a horse was having issues with that flapper?

#15 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Well, let's get terminology on the same page here....."Flapper" typically refers to epiglottis and tie-back surgery has nothing to do with the epiglottis.

The tie-back surgery is for "roaring" or laryngeal hemiplegia. The vocal cords do not have appropriate innervation, and subsequently do not retract out of the way during respiration, subsequently causing vibration of the cords during inhalation. Tie-back surgery does literally that: Ties the vocal cords out of the way. Obviously, a tad more technical than that......

"Flapper" and to be honest, I really don't know what you're talking about....whether its epiglottis or palate. There are a couple of other conditions possible including epiglottic entrapment and dorsal displacement of the soft palate. In any of the conditions, decreased performane is common, but generally only at the upper-end and elite level, such as a race horse or upper level eventer. Lower level athletes may experience some minimal decrease in performance.

#16 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

I guess flapper was not what I was thinking...

um..

My gelding is a 10 (or is he 11...) year old gelding OTTB.. Sometimes if he canters for awhile he will start coughing like the trying to clear his throat..sometimes looks like he is having a hard time breathing..(this is mostly when he takes off running around his pasture)..When I work him and warm him up he dose not seem to have this issue...He dose not roar..and he nickers fine (and rather loudly)

Most of the time he eats fine..sometimes he will dunk it..(thought he only dose this maybe once a feeding since he got his teeth done last week)

So far he has evented up to Training (not with me)

#17 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

Sounds more like heaves to me.

What does your vet say?

#18 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cassy:

that just made me laugh out loud..... [ROTFL] [ROTFL]

YEP, Ive been there before too... [Embarrassed]

[ 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

#19 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

I haven't talked to the vet about it..As I said he dose not do this if he is warmed up before he canters...Its not a cough like from the lungs/gut its more like he's just trying to clear his throat..

#20 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like heaves to me, too.

Watch his flank or actually the muscle right in front of his flank (on his back ribs). Do you see a muscle contraction there when he breathes? There will be a crease or line show up there when he coughs or struggles to breathe. It is called a 'heave line' and will tell a novice that this is the problem.

Ask your vet to evaluate him. You may need to do something as simple as soaking his hay and keeping him out of dust.

#21 noip1963

noip1963

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like heaves to me also.

That is exactly how I would describe what my horse was doing when I talked to the vet to get him out here.

He was making noises like he was clearing his throat.

Best to get the vet out there and get it cleared up.

Is your hay dusty or have any mold in it?
How's your barn? dirty? dusty up in the rafters?
If so, you need to get that cleaned up asap.

#22 Cassy

Cassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

He dose not have a heave line. i have been around horses with heaves. and this just dose not fit..He dose not do it when he is stalled. he dose not do it when i lunge him (i.e troted and warmed up before cantering)..