72 replies to this topic

#1 e.s.dressage

e.s.dressage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:22 AM

OK, my daughter is on a mission to make a list of the things she can and can't bring out to the barn for our horse, Echo. I think we're especially talking about her fruit and veggie leftovers here!

Granted, with horses it's an issue of moderation, but does anybody have a list of fruits and veggies that are OK and not?

Many thanks! [Smiley Wavey]

Here's a pic of the happy pair... my daughter is not actually feeding Echo there; she's showing her a caterpillar [Wink]

-

#2 Panda 92009

Panda 92009

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because my horses have gotten many fruit & veggie treats. Aside from the normal carrots & apples, I discovered (from my vet) most horses love watermelon. My vet's husband would cut up watermelon for her horse! I offered it to my two horses, and Rooster went crazy over it.

Bucky likes oranges, but Rooster can take them or leave them.

I avoid seeds & pits (like in plums & peaches), but when I lived in S. CA I would toss together a big fruit salad of whatever was in season and offer it to my horses every evening. I believe that the pits in peaches & plums contain cyanide. They absolutely loved their "treat", and never had any problems.

Although they had plenty of fresh water, I also felt that the fruits & veggies gave them more fluid as well. Especially the melons.

#3 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

what about chocolate?

#4 MiHorseGirl

MiHorseGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

i really dont know for sure what horses can and cannont have but i thought id comment on your photo. your horse is very pretty and your daughter adorable! do you have any other pictures of the horse? we have an arabian that looks like yours!

#5 fractiousfilly

fractiousfilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Cute little one, cute furry one.
Off the top of my head - don't feed avocados, onions, tomatoes, potatos, or almonds..

#6 Alleyway

Alleyway

Thunder Lungs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

A lot of horses like watermelon. Carrots too.

Make sure they are cut up in pieces.

I'm sure you can do a search on the internet and find what fruits and veggies horses can and can't eat.

There was someone on her that posted about giving her cow a potato and it choked on it and had to see vet, cow got bloat and vet had to cut cow open to release the air and they had to put scope and hand down cows throat to get potato out.

#7 CaRrOtHeAdGrL

CaRrOtHeAdGrL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:39 AM

I feed pepermints, sugar cube, carrots, apples, storebought treats. And sometimes if I'm snacking on something at a show (Doritos, Combos, etc.), my horse get some too!!! [Razz] THey really like combos actually, but I'm not sure if they are supposed to eat those...

#8 e.s.dressage

e.s.dressage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

Thanks guys! I actually did do a search online but didn't come up with anything. I think I need to use a different search phrase... but my daughter is already working on her list based on some of this - she wants to hang it up in her room.

MiHorseGirl - Of course I have more photos! Lots of 'em [Big Grin]

I'll post a few...

-

Edited to add one more photo... I really think Echo's in love with my daughter [Razz]

-

[ 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

#9 texashorselover

texashorselover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

I don't have any idea what they can and cannot eat. I have heard all kinds of stories. My shetland would come in the house for white bread when I was about your daughter's size.
Your pictures are really nice especially the last one. It's neat that your horse likes your daughter.

#10 Jazzmatazz

Jazzmatazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Ol Snort is a fruitaholic. Strawberries are his favorite, but he likes peaches, apricots, cherries, plums, watermelon, nectarines.

I would not feed tomatoes, they are a member of the nightshade family, and rhubarb from what I understand is extremely toxic to horses.

#11 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

Mine love bananas, grapes, watermelon, apples & carrots (of course), peaches, donuts, nutter butter cookies and believe it or not pizza (just cheese and pepperoni). At the barn I boarded at up north the property owner (seperate barn manager) had race horses and a pizza restaurant. He would bring the left over pizza (ordered and not picked up) out for the chickens. One day his stallion was following him begging him for some of what was in the box. Owner opened the box and gave him a slice (thingking it would quickly be spit out and stallion would not ask for any ever again) and the stallion loved it. Well owner proceeded to try it on all of the horses that he first got owner permission from and 90% of them really liked pizza. They didn't get much but it was a treat for them on rare occassions. Same Owner had a yearling colt that would do anything you asked of him if you had a jar of honey.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

my horse jack LOVED the special k little snack things!!! they are little strawberry chip things. towards the end of fair, about a month before he died, that was the only way i could get him to eat his oats was to put those in it. He also really liked dog food, though i dont know if it was good for him. the only time he got that was if he snuck some from the dogs with out me knowing.

#13 JLHorseChic16

JLHorseChic16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

I think you mostly have to watch out how much you give them.

K.Blue's horse, Spots ate one of my chicken nuggets one time! I think she also said he would eat a lot of the fair food (cotton candy, funnel cakes, etc) when she took him to fair. You should ask her what all he has eaten!

The previous owner of my gelding says he likes Skittles and Vanilla Pepsi, but I've never tried it before.

#14 BellaRider

BellaRider

farmer's daughter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

i haven't tried giving my horses much...perhaps i should sneak a banana or two out. [Big Grin]
a friend of mine (she's 30something, i'm 17) said when she used to show, she'd split a can of Dr. Pepper with her gelding. [Big Grin]

#15 rc_rosealetta

rc_rosealetta

Pitchfork Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

Mac loves mountain dew, and carmel apples.

My neighbors horse once stole her cheeseburger and pepsi...But he eats everything.

I really don't know about what they aren't supposed to eat though, so I'm no help there.

#16 e.s.dressage

e.s.dressage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

You guys have given me tons of ideas... I'm raiding the strawberry stash in our fridge and bringing some to Echo. She's actually kind of finicky (she doesn't like sugar cube of all things!) so it'll be fun to find some new safe treats.

[Big Grin]

#17 Campfire Bunnie

Campfire Bunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

The potato thing with the cow was me...yea. But my horses love potatos! They got out one day and I found them in the "pig's food" Well there was potatos, bananas, tomatos, and oranges...(we get the bad/rotton food from AFI) and the horses were around the potatos and nanners [Yay] ! Well they chewed the taters and ate them, not just swolled 'em like my cow...but they did not touch the tomatos or oranges....so I would just say watch what they eat and how much you give em! [Big Grin]
Becca

#18 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,360 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

Just about anything, in small amounts. I would avoid foods that tend to cause a lot of gas, because most horses can't burp, and you end up with gas colic. Some horses even like a juicy hamburger, preferably without the onions. be sure to cut up next years jack-o-lantern pumpkin and offer the pieces. Most horses love them.

#19 HoofsinMotion

HoofsinMotion

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

Mine eat anything from the garden but, squash.

They love all fruit and vegs. even lettuce. Mine have been eating tomatoes, green and ripe ones for years, I haven't noticed it hurt them. I even feed them the vines when I am cleaning up my garden.
I don't feed fruit with the pits I remove them, but they eat bananas and oranges peels and all.

#20 fractiousfilly

fractiousfilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HoofsinMotion:
Mine eat anything from the garden but, squash.

They love all fruit and vegs. even lettuce. Mine have been eating tomatoes, green and ripe ones for years, I haven't noticed it hurt them. I even feed them the vines when I am cleaning up my garden.
I don't feed fruit with the pits I remove them, but they eat bananas and oranges peels and all.

Hoofs, I dont mean to be an alarmist (and I've never fed any of those things to a horse, so I don't know first hand) but I have read in several places that the green parts, especially vines and shoots of tomatoes and potatos are very toxic in the right amounts...but I don't know what those amounts are. I would stay away from those particular items just to be safe....

#21 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Mine eat just about anything. Tonka especially loves chocolate. I give him a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie everynight during cookie season. He loves chocolate cupcakes, mints, cereal, small donuts. HE has a huge sweet tooth.
He only gets this stuff if I have it. I only give him one....but he begs for more.

Usually he gets the standard apples, carrots, sugar cubes, mints.

I guess you will have to experiment.

Everything in moderation.

azgrulla [Smiley Wavey]

#22 NCStateKowgurl

NCStateKowgurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

Haha! One of our mares will follow you all day for a piece of your Pop-Tart... [Big Grin]

#23 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

Mine all LOVE peanut butter. I discovered this one night when I went up to do evening stables after eating a banana with peanut butter on it. Gulliver was obsessed with my breath! LOL I couldn't figure out what his deal was, but finally decided maybe it was the strong smell of peanut butter.

The next night I took up some saltines with peanut butter on them and all four of the horses about lost their mind over those things. I don't give treats terribly often, but I do occasionally take them peanut butter crackers. Watching them deal with the sticky peanut butter is entertaining if nothing else! [Big Grin]

#24 Adrenalin_Girl

Adrenalin_Girl

Herd Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

well lets see, spinach (i read only in small amounts that it should be given),watermelon RINDS,Celery(he doesn't like it..but some do),FENUGREEK!! (his favorite and good for him too!)

i never give my horse anythnig tooo sugary. he is healthy and has no illnesses..but still i just don't

[Razz]

#25 saddestponyever

saddestponyever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

Mine like marshmallows, as well as lots of the things listed here. Missy will bend over backward for a piece of raisin bread >.>
The paint stallion where I used to board liked m&ms. I've also made my own horse cookies with nmolasses, oats, corn oil, bit of flour, basically whatever I can find and bake or microwave-- they LOVE it. Even the pony, and she doesn't like molasses because she thinks it has bute in it.

I had my pony choke on a sickle pear late last year (it wasn't given to her, fence was down and they raided the tree) So I am very wary on giving 'choky' and extremely hard foods.

#26 tvp

tvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Kiddo will eat pretty much everything. Carrots, apples, sugar cubes, black licorice (which I hate), diet pepsi, peppermints (his fav), chips (he actually just sucks off the salt and spits it out), and bud light (his breeder & race trainer used to give it to him on Sundays).

#27 quarterpaint

quarterpaint

I am...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:34 AM

NO CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! IT IS HIGHLY POISONOUS TO HORSES!

My cheyenne loves peanut butter. I have a jar just for her. Dreamer tried it once and I don't think she was amused about it sticking to the roof of her mouth, she licked for ever it seems like. Cheyenne will eat it right off the spoon.

Watermelon Cheyenne will go nuts over it. Dreamer is still learning all this new stuff.

#28 skjotta

skjotta

owner of lava-goats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

my gelding is a sucker for tobbacco...

i never feed my horses citrus fruits. i am not sure why, because noone has told me anything bad about it, i just figure that since my kidneys have such truble with them, a horses kidneys may have even greater difficulties?

#29 tequilaskye

tequilaskye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Raimi like Pears, just be ready for a mush mess if they are ripe or over ripe. EEEWWWW. I had Pear mush all between my fingers and all over my sleeves of my sweater, hubby laughed at me. but Raimi looked happy with her mouth full of squishy sweetness. [Big Grin] Maybe cut it up first! [Question] My neighbor used to give her Honey buns, and those fruit filled pies.

#30 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

Gunner lovesss pop!! Every time i have a can of pepsi he always nickers and must have some. my uncle shares his beer with Dale.

Gunner at a zucchini once, but as he was chewing it it got spit out on me sleep.gif lol

he pretty much eats anything, they get bread and potatoes/tomatoes etc all the time from my grammas [Razz]