Sign in to follow this  
EventingRed

your opinion on french links

what is your opinion? do you like them more or less???? i was thinking about putting my (hopfully) new mare in one, and would like some feedback!

thanks

-Red

I like them on slightly stronger horses, but personally, I first reach for a double jointed KK bit, or otherwise one of those single jointed JP bits with the curved mouthpiece. Those are my two default bits. If the horse doesn't go well in that, then I consider a different bit.

whats a double jointed???

oh also she is being ridden in a curb (shes western, but now shes going english.)

thanks [smile]

-Red

[ 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: EventingRed ]

I rode her today in a normal eggbut and she was prety good. i am looking for a good "trail" bit, were not going to do dressage lol...well at least not show. but i am trying to find a nice inbetween, i dont like curbs....

-Red

isn't that picture a french link also? My snaffle looks really close to that and its a french link. I really like french links over just regular bits. I ride my Quarter Horse mare in one and really would rather spend more money to get her a bit with a french link then go plain. Just my opinon.

~Nicole~ [Jump]

It depends on the horse. Beauty prefers my jp eggbutt snaffle over a french link that I borrowed. She's much softer in the eggbutt, but for some horse's its the exact opposite. You might have to try a couple bits before you find one she likes.

quote:

Originally posted by Cappuccino_Girl:

double jointed is like this:

-

This is a french link. I like it real well on my horse and he is very sensitive in the mouth.

those KK ones are UBER expensive....but would a not KK bit, but a french link be just as good?? lol probably a stupid question, i just want somthing comfortable in her mouth.

THANKS

-Red [smiley Wavey]

Ah! see, german riders (I was brought up there), differenciate between french links and double jointed bits, as double jointed bits are softer than french links, so I continue to do so, whether this is done in English speaking countries or not.

french link:

-

double jointed snaffle:

-

the KK style bits, ie. one with a round piece in the middle, are called 'Ausbildungsgebiss', which means training bit, while french links are called 'franzoesisches gebiss' which means french bit.

[ 07-17-2005, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Cappuccino_Girl ]

i have a double jointed, loose ring bit like the one above, but it's not a KK. what is the difference, if there is any?

The original KK bit, the plain double jointed bit with a fat losenge type thing in the middle has been coppied by many different bit companies. the only difference between those and KK bits would be the metal they are made out of, and possibly the workmanship. however there are other KK bits where the middle bit is at a different angle. I believe that these are pattented, so no other company would be able to make idential bits.

Is that what you wondered?

My opinion on a french link, is it works very well for some horses, and not at all for others. I use to use a d-ring snaffle in my Arab, but recently changed to an O-Ring French link. Its makes a major difference! She use to fight the bit, and now she will stop, turn, and back with the slightest touch.

Now I tried it on my QH/Paint and he will do NOTHING. He fights it, and tosses his head, and pretty much ignores cues. I put him in the D-ring snaffle, and he behaves like an angel.

Mostly, I think its a horses preference, and the shape of their mouth that make a difference.

Hope that helps in your decision!

If you do decide on a french link, my best advice is to find one that will lay flat on the horses tongue, like this one

-

Rather then the ones that the french link is upright.

[ 07-17-2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: ArabianLver ]

Red, I adore the french-link. In fact, I brought Brad up through the levels of dressage in a french-link loose ring snaffle and he did fine with the bit. He has a sensitive mouth, and the french-link is a milder bit so everything worked out well.

However I wouldn't recommed them on stronger horses. They could easily run right through them.

If you are aiming for a nice, simple bit for trail riding, I'd recommed it. [smile]

I used a KK bit on my arab, he didn't like it at all. I had also tried a french link, hated it. The bit I found that he works best in is the Mylar Wide Barrel Comfort Snaffle.

-

This bit is approved by USDF and USEF. It comes in loose ring, D-ring and eggbutt. I prefer the loose ring. My trainer has recommended this bit to many of her clients who have problems with getting there horse to connect. It dosen't have the nutcracker action like a normal snaffle, has a center piece that rotates and the bars of are rounded to fit the horses mouth better.

You can rent-a-bit from this company. It's only $5 plus shipping to try the bit. If you like it, buy it! You can't go wrong

http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/tack/bits/mylerbits.html

arabsporthorsegirl - Thanks for that link!!!! i might try that on Red [big Grin]

I think i might try a french link on Dot, just beacuse they arent as expensive

-Thanks

-Red