Sign in to follow this  
dressagegyl33

What is with falling in?

I have some real problems falling in going to the right rein espescaly when I am doing 20m canter circles! Help! My choach has said to put my left shoulder back and it has helped a little but it is still a bad habit!

This is not helping my "easly on the forhand" horse!

Taylor

Proud Owner of..........Ryegate Styler older lippet Morgan Gelding Novice level Eventing and 1st level dressage

One thing to remember is that it will take time to fix the bad habit, since your muscle memory is inclined to allow your body to fall in. While you are focused on that one thing you can do it, but when you focus on something else, get tired, etc. your body will fall into old habits. You may also find that your horse plays into it some. If he is unbalanced, some of your being unbalanced could be a result of the two of you learning together. Having a ground person to remind you to stay straight, which probably feels funny right now is great and the person doesn't actually have to be that knowledgeable about horses, just able to see you when you fall in. Another thing that I learned when I evented that Denny Emerson had us do was a two minute check: about every two minutes we would go down a check list of eyes up, shoulders back and down, seat deep, etc. which basically keeps you focused on your position.

This will take time to fix, so be kind to yourself. Longing, like Boocoo suggested, is excellent for getting you centered, and can make a difference.

Raz and I are opposite to you. We fall in left and out right. Every so often in a lesson to help me keep my right shoulder back while tracking to the left on a 20m canter circle, my trainer will make me look back over my right shoulder, and I mean ALL the way back until my chin is almost lined up over my shoulder. It is super difficult because you really have to trust your horse as you can't see where you are going, but it straightens both of you right out in a hurry. It will get all of your weight re-centered back where it belongs after only one or two circles, but be careful that you don't just collapse back to the inside when you bring your head back around.

So for you, it is opposite. When cantering to the right, look back over your left shoulder - provided you have a safe trustworthy horse you can do this on!! And don't throw your reins or seat away. Keep riding. Just turn your head. Good luck and try this the first time with your trainer or some other ground person around to look out for you!! [big Grin]

~Shelly~

[ 07-26-2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

I find I ride more centered and my horse stays more upright when I think of lifting or stretching the whole inside side of my body.

Whew, that came out awkwardly. Think of stretching up the left side of the body while circling left.

Best of luck!

Tracy

One exercise that I find useful for horses that fall in is - while working on a 20 meter circle make a very small circle (volte) in the opposite direction from your direction of travel if the horse starts to fall in, then back onto the 20 meter circle again. Turning away from the direction that they are falling towards is some extra work, most horses will figure out that its harder work if they try to cheat. I even use it as my warm up with horses that have a tendency by doing a 20 meter circle with a 10 meter circle in the opposite direction at a few points along the way to remind them that the rider is in charge of speed, direction, and way of travelling.

hellow there i had a problem similar to yours with a tb gelding once . he would get REALY pissy when i tried to correct him [Mad] but i found that if u counterbend half of a 20m. circle and bend regular the other half and keep your inside leg just back a little farthure that will help lots oh and keep your outside shoulder back but bring the outside hand in that helps too good luck [big Grin]