Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

Winter Warm Up

i will continue taking dressage lessons through the winter and my trainer suggested me getting a quarter sheet and sleazy to ride him in. I know quarter sheets are pretty common but what about the sleazy? Heres my other post on it

winter riding

What do you think? [smiley Wavey]

I never used a sleazy. I don't think they would make any difference plus what a hassle taking it off. I always used a wool quarter sheet when I lived in the North for warmup, but I don't think it's necessary. When I was done, I always threw a full size wool cooler on as soon I got off, and even before taking the saddle off.

If you keep your full-size cooler on the horse from the minute you take the stall blanket off until you mount, then the quarter sheet should be unnecessary.

If you don't already have coolers, don't be tempted to get anything but wool. Only wool will wick away the moisture and allow him to be dry enough to blanket before going home.

I fully body-clip my horses in the winter and I will use a wool quartersheet if I'm going to be working hard in very cold weather - here, under 10 degrees (!). That way, when I take a walk break, the hindquarter muscles are protected. I have one that cuts out under my leg so there's no extra bulk.

I've never tried it (and am not tempted), but I would think a sleazy would hold too much moisture next to the skin and could add to a chill instead of preventing it.

I own both wool and polar fleece coolers and quarter sheets. The new polar fleece coolers actually do a very good job at wicking away the moisture and drying the horse off very quickly. In fact, I found they work better than my wool cooler, and they are easier to clean and care for, and lighter and easier to manage from in the saddle and on the ground. The "other" materials I have no idea about how well or not well they work.

I can say though that I probably could have survived without the quarter sheet if need be. With a fully body clipped horse, my routine in the winter was to clean the legs and tail, polo wrap the legs, pull the stable blankets off, put the quarter sheet over the rump, saddle, bridle, warm up at the walk with the quarter sheet, trot for the first 5 minutes with the quarter sheet then toss it aside, put the quarter sheet back on as soon as I began cooling him out, the second we left the arena I replaced the quarter sheet with his cooler over the saddle covering him from ears to tail and then pulled the saddle out from under once he was un-bridled and cross-tied. BUT- we have a heated arena. If we didn't have the heat in the arena, on really cold days, there might have been days where I didn't pull that quarter sheet off quite so soon in the ride.

~Shelly~