Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Update, looks like I have another dressage pony!

I may have just adopted this pony: http://www.columbiabasinequinerescue.org/buster.htm He's being sent to slaughter on Monday if he isn't adopted, and he just tugged at me. They say he's rideable, but a bit spooky, with some training and some sacking out, he should make some child a great prospect. So I'm going to take him in, if we have available space at the barn (waiting for my BO to contact me back) and we'll begin his training towards dressage and hunters.

[ 09-09-2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Good on ya, Inky! Nice coat for a feedlot rescue. Be sure to share your step by step training progress with us. About how old? Size? Any past training that you know of?

Crossing my fingers that me and my Barn Owner can work it out, if not, then I won't be able to bring him down. [Frown] So I don't want to get TOO hopeful until I find out. He's 13.2 hh (going to be a huge change jumping off Inky who's 16.1 hh and switching to him lol) and about 6-8 years old. Here is what they said on training:

quote:

BUSTER - Black pony gelding with a white star, 6-8 years old. About 13.2 hands. Very sweet. Likes to be scratched. Picks up his front feet willingly, back feet with a little coaxing. Sound. He has old scars of white hair on his withers from wearing an ill-fitting saddle. Gorgeous long mane and full tail. He is currently NOT SUITABLE FOR A BEGINNER CHILD.

He easily could be though with a little professional training. He would probably do outstanding as a ponyclubber mount!

He does not know how to back, but he seemed to know how to neck rein and he direct reins. He moves off leg ok. He took a lot of coaxing to trot (kickin). He was spooky at some things - like being taken away from the others and the big machinery in the shadowy corner, but not spooked by dogs or the Big rig horn that sounded while we were tacking up. He has a fast walk while leading and needs to learn a little more space would be nice. He also seems to have had some 'natural horsemanship' training cuz he kept turning to face me in the roundpen - like he knew that meant he could stand still!

Like I said, he is not for a small child right now, but he easily could be. He is gorgeous and young. Easy to work with.

I rode him with my heavy western saddle and all of me (135 lbs) - he took it fine. So an adult pro trainer could work with him no problem.

-Tee

Would any of you mind giving us some crossed fingers or a prayer or two? I just received word from another person that they are going to pay his adoption fee for me if I have room at the barn, so I need prayers that Cheri will agree and will have space!!!! People are so wonderful and kind and generous!

Thank you for the prayers everyone! It looks like Buster's going to be coming home to me this weekend! Dressage training won't begin right away, we're going to start out with sacking out and ground work, but I'll keep you guys updated when we do get into it!

I believe he's going to be arriving here either tomorrow or Monday [big Grin][big Grin] I just have to get his vaccinations all squared away! Good Lord, I have to run out to the feed/tack store after work, I don't have a pony sized bridle or halter [Duh] (Halter's a wee bit more important at this time than the bridle lol!)

Congrats Inky. You know, with time and lots of TLC he will overcome a lot of those issues they said he has. He has probably been badly neglected. He is lucky to get you for his new owner! [Angel]

waytogo, inky! I had read about Buster on line (not that we can actually take another critter right now, but I'm always "shopping"), and he looks like he'll make a terrific mount or driver. Any idea why he was available? He looked pretty healthy, and from what I could see in his photos, had good, strong neck, clean legs, nicely muscled hindquarters, even a shiny coat and no ribs poking out. Not the sort of horse you think of on the lot, y'know? Makes one wonder. Best wishes with his training and adjustment. Once you get him figured out, keep us in mind. My 6-year old is begging for her own horse now. She keeps trying to climb on animals that are NOT for her to ride, including the dogs.

What is the situation with shipping now, fuel being so high? Did the barn master say yes? Do you have the paperwork for coggins and shots? Can you quarantine Buster til you're sure he's not carrying strangles or anything like that?