Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

I'm taking Gatsby to vet tomarrow(Talked To VET again!!!)

*crosses fingers* Vet visits and taking a horse to the clinic suck. I had to take my mare and I fully expected to be told that she couldn't jump again.

**** mare trotted out sound and she was fine as could be.

I hope the same thing happens for you. Even if it doesn't, my fingers are crossed for a good diagnosis.

Chin up, and keep smiling, okay?

No matter what happens, it WILL be okay. We're all here for you.

i cant even type [Me Cry][Me Cry][Me Cry] and i cant stop crying. Gtasby has to stay there for 4 days so i they can do all kinds of tests and full body scans and radiographs. i just cant cant stop crying...

he said he has fluid in his hock and stifle and there some wrong with the way his stifle moves and theres a very strange lump on gatsby back by his spain and his whole back is messed up but he doesnt know what it is w/o doing radiographs and a full body scan [Me Cry]

He was def. lame and had a lot a tension in his back. The bill is already up to $900 dollars, what am i going to do??? [Me Cry] I just want my horse to come back home [Me Cry]

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

i cant thank him enough, BUT i'm really scared because my mom isnt going
[Me Cry]
. She just old me i'd be fine and gatsby would be fine, and she said she knew i would know what to do and i was old enough to make the decisions on my own.

I know how you feel. [Frown] I haven't read this thread yet, but I just wanted to say that no matter how old you are (I'm older than you [smile] ), mom's are still comforting. When Cheater was diagnosed with non cancerous tumors (at the time, they thought they were cancerous and weren't sure an operation was an option because of where they were) last year, I was with my good friend almost hysterical at the vets office. I'd have given anything for my mom to be there. Just keep faith that he'll be ok. Sometimes all you can do is get through one day and hope for an improvement the next. [Huggy]

quote:

i cant even type
[Me Cry][Me Cry][Me Cry]
and i cant stop crying. Gtasby has to stay there for 4 days so i they can do all kinds of tests and full body scans and radiographs. i just cant cant stop crying...

he said he has fluid in his hock and stifle and there some wrong with the way his stifle moves and theres a very strange lump on gatsby back by his spain and his whole back is messed up but he doesnt know what it is w/o doing radiographs and a full body scan
[Me Cry]

He was def. lame and had a lot a tension in his back. The bill is already up to $900 dollars, what am i going to do???
[Me Cry]
I just want my horse to come back home
[Me Cry]

Hmmm, that sounds rather drastic. If I recall, you had him vetted prior to purchase? And he was basically clean?

4 days of body scanning would indicate either a Long term issue that should have been caught in your pre-purchase exam (CALL THAT VET that did the pre-purchase and have a chat) or a fairly traumatic injury type situation.

I would be asking the Vet that did your Pre-Purchase to get involved. Get those Vets talking.

Chin up... and get aggressive with this. Don't just nod your head.... get the details and then RESEARCH like crazy. Ask questions. Ask HARD questions. The vet should be willing and able to answer any question you have. That is part of what you are paying for.

If you don't mind my asking.... what all was done for $900?

[ 09-13-2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: DawnC ]

$900.00 for what? How far are you from Cornell U? Can you take him there instead? I just can't imagine why they need to keep him for tests for 4 days.

Vets will allow you to make payments. You will not need to sell your soul to pay the bill.

What did they do while you were there?

quote:

quote:

I would be asking the Vet that did your Pre-Purchase to get involved.

thats the vet i've been calling for weeks!!! i cant get a hold of him at all!!

Keep calling. And leaving messages. At least once a day until you hear back. Better yet, go by the office. You have not had Gats all that long yet.... keep trying.

its $800 For the full body can and then for gatsby staying there 4 days its $100. i was only there for 40 mins!! he did some flextions tests and felt up and down his backs and legs and that when he told me abotu the fluid and his back.

Hmmm - I can identify with the climbing vet bill -CSU vet hosp. is near me and they are so NOT cheap. I've had to take a horse there and it ended up being over $2K. This was for a choke..without pneumonia. Just to clear it and keep the horse overnight and xray the lungs to make sure they were clean. And CSU doesn't really allow "Payments" they get your credit card up front! I hope the vet hosp you are at is different...

Hopefully your Mom can help with payments and you can pay her back. I don't know what to tell you, it's scarey and frustrating and awful. Try not to get too upset until you know what the cause is...easy to say I know and hard to do!

Hopefully they can find what is wrong and you can go from there to rehab or rest him or whatever needs doing. I will hope for a small vet bill and a speedy and safe and sound recovery!!!!

Take care of yourself thru this - it's so hard!

my poor mom is paying for everything [Me Cry] i pay board and lessons she pays vet and farrier. of course i'll give her every penny i have, whatever it takes.

[ 09-13-2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

If you have your own trailer, and your uncle or mother can do it, it would make much more sense to trailer him to that appointment, plus that is incredibly high for board.

I really question a full body scan at this point. What is the vet's reasoning? That is a pretty expensive diagnostic. Remember, you are the client and you/your mother do not have to buy into this. You can say, yes, I understand you reccommend X diagnostic, but what is your reasoning for doing this right now? My question would be WHY are they looking at doing this when there are other things they can do. I know that when our horses had some hock issues that caused them some soreness in their backs, they did some pressure points and some acupunture. Not that I would be skeptical, but from what you have described, I would be hesitant to rush into such an expensive procedure without a second opinion--often vets have to pay for the expensive equiptment they have by ordering lots of test with them.

While it may be stressful for you to wait on this, in my opinion, it would be best to pursue taking Gatsby to the vet who did his vet check for a second opinion before jumping right into doing upwards of $1,000.00 of tests. Some other questions for you: Can you tell us what this vet did and why he/she exactly said he should have this expensive test and why?

they told me they wanted to do a full body scan because by the time they did x-rays and radiographs of all the different area he wanted to see we'd be close to $700 so and $100 for the full boady scan would show everything! not just radiographs of legs, feet, ect.

OK. Well, I thought it was $900.00 for that 40 minutes.

That's not quite so bad.

and $100.00 isn't bad for four days of rest, good food, watchful eyes and you don't have the stress on him or you of trailering him back and forth. That alone might aggravate whatever it is that ails him.

[Frown] Hang in there!

I'm thinking about you guys and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Gatsby's quick recovery!

At least you know that you did the right thing by getting him to the vet, and you are on the right track!

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

[Frown]
Hang in there!

I'm thinking about you guys and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Gatsby's quick recovery!

At least you know that you did the right thing by getting him to the vet, and you are on the right track!

Exactly [Huggy] You guys are still in my prayers [Angel][Angel][Angel]

I thought the same Remmie did but am glad it isn't that much. Stay calm, which is hard to do and know that you have so many people praying for you and Gatsby!

Holy cow... [Eek!][Eek!]

Is there some way you can go to the prepurchase vet physically, an office or something? and stand there until you get some committment that he'll cooperate and talk to the other vet?

I agree with keeping him there, even though it's spendy if only to keep him from any unnecessary stress from the back-and-forth thing. And your mom is a saint... [smile] you owe her big time, not just the $$ but for the support she's giving you in this. [Not Worthy]

I'm still praying for you and Gatsby. Hang in there, dear...we've all been through this in one way or another and it's never easy, but you'll get answers soon.... [Huggy]

Oy

I agree that you need to sit in the pre purchase vet's office and demand to see his professional insurance 'cos you're gonna be suing his A$$ for missing this

On the plus side, the scan WILL show what is wrong - and knowing will help with that dreadful helpless and hopeless feeling.

Most vets do payment plans - willingly or not

On a personal level however, you KNEW something wasn't right - and that is truly worth holding on to, especially next time someone says 'oh you just don't know' and you can reply 'oh yes I dam well do'

ahhh - crap Bisquick - I'm so sorry - with ya all the way kid

[Huggy]