Sign in to follow this  
BisQuickDoc

I'm taking Gatsby to vet tomarrow(Talked To VET again!!!)

BQD:

I have a TON of experience with vets in the area, name your vet, I have A) probably used them and B)know how to find them. If they are doing the neuclear scan, they'll find out what ails him. Its VERY thorough and catches just about everything except for wierd deep soft-tissue injuries.

My advice: find out their quote on whatever the treatment is, then call OSU. Its not too far, and he'll have the best care and treatment for CHEAP. My horse stated at OSU for 4 days, had 2 endoscopies, full body x-rays, physical examinations, and LOTS of drugs and the bill was 500, the same price I paid for 1 endoscopy and 9 hours @ a local clinic. I'm guessing OSU will have better equipment, more vets, all for a more affordable price. The clinic thatI'm guessing Gatsby is at is pricy...very good- good vet team, good equipment, but crazy expensive.

I hope your boy doens't have anything serious going on with him. Can you PM me the name of the vet who ran your pre-purchase?

Prayers for you and Gatsby! I know how it feels to be in your shoes, it'll get better!

[Cool] it seems like you dont have to wear your sunglasses to the vet.you are very strong.i am only 11 and my horse is 5.ill be lucky if she doesnt get arthritis from all the running.ENOUGH ABOUT ME NOW BACK TO YOU.....how did the vet go....will he be okay??????.....wat did the vet say??????......do tell!!!!!!

BQD, do you have a copy of the report from the Vet. who did the pre-purchase? As everyone else has stated, stay on him, go camp out in his office if you have to. That said, knowing Gatsby is in good hands should be some peace of mind and they should be able to get to the bottom of this with the body scan. Does he think he has stifled? How about the bump on his back? Did he not think it was a hunter's bump maybe? Anyway, our thoughts and prayers are with you and Gatsby. Keep us posted. When are they doing the scan? [Huggy][Angel]

Too bad crazy-jumper didn't see your "vet isn't calling me back" dilemma. But she is offering you some very good suggestions now.

It wouldn't be ridiculous to check the prices at another facility and pull him out of there before the $900.00 plus bill. Teaching facilities are usually cheaper and better equipped. That's why I suggested Cornell U because I just have no idea what's in your area.

I just spent $2,000.00 on Tristan's surgeries and after care so I understand the bite.

If you are happy with where he is, and your mom can manage it in her budget, then leave him there. If there is a more comfortable, cheaper way to go, then do it.

I know, your head is spinning right now. It's soooooooo much to deal with, and school, and barn chores. By the end of the week, you will know what's wrong so the light at the end of the tunnel is coming.

Hang in there!! Of course, at the moment,Gatsby is missing his mommy, but he has a private room, a team of nurses and doctors, and is being checked on often. He is probably sucking up horsey martinis through a straw and I'll bet he's getting some medication so he is probably feeling pretty good.

With all that attention, he probably thinks he won the Kentucky Derby. Hospitalization spoils us rotten, so watch out for when he gets home. He'll want the same attention from you (and no work).

hey guys!! thanks for all the support!!! [Huggy]

I'm still trying to a hold of th3 vet that did the exam. [bang Head]

I think with the stifle think i think he said it could be capped?? But he wasnt sure. He didnt mention anything about the hunters bump he only said it was to far back to be from my saddle. They are doing the Scan on thursday or friends it depends on a lot of thingd but he said friday i'd atleast be able to pick him up! i'm so worried [Me Cry]

I called my trainer last night and told her what happend AND SHE YELLED AT ME!!!!!!

she said "theres nothing wrong with that horse why didnt you just leave", " you cant spend a fortune in vet bills on a $1800 dollar horse thats crazy", "theres nothing wrong with him, that full boady scan is gonna find every little thing wrong with him and some stuff you just dont need to know about"...

i was in complete shock [shocked] she didnt even ask if i was ok?? she just started yelling at me, she said all that stuff and then when she was done i said "well i got to go, bye" and i hung up the phone. i cant stop thinking about the conversation and its just making me cry

[Me Cry] i think shed mad cuz i didnt go to her vet again but its her vet that woulnt CALL ME BACK!!!!! [Mad]

Also, i dont think i'm aloud to go see Gatsby because hes in a HOT stall and to get to those you have to walk completely through the equine hospital and through the surgrey room. But i'm gonna call today and see if we can go out. And god bless my mom for letting my take "a break" and not making me go to school! [Angel]

I be around all day so i'll talk to you guys later!! thanks again for all the support! [Huggy]

quote:

horsey martinis

[ROTFL]

that made me laugh [big Grin]

I think we can handle the bill at the vets wer're at now, so i think we'll leave him there because the facilities are really nice! and Very Very clean!! here the hospitals website if anyone would like to check it out

www.foxrun.net

they vets seem EXTREMEMLY kowledgeable and there are plenty of them, i think there was 7 people in the room with me and gatsby.

Why not????? [Question]

Don't you think I can get Gatsby going for you???

-

I'd better go get some work done. Enough smileys for today. Hope I cheered you up a little.

I do agree with Remmie that a teaching hospital is generally cheaper, but if your mother is happy with the general price that isn't my business. I will say that my mother ran into her vet hospital charging more because they had to pay for their big nice equiptment which you don't find at a University etc. but if the place is close, it is just a trade off. You both realize that this can be the starting point with tests etc., so be up front with yourself, your mother, so you can both be up front with the vets with how far you are willing to go with the money. Often, it is best to have these discussions ahead of time. We never want bad things to happen, and pray they won't, but it is also best to discuss all options.

It would probably be a good thing to call the other vet, and if you do not have a copy of the pre-purchase, ask nicely for one, or even better have your mother do it. In general, it would be very hard to sue over a pre-purchase unless it was very blatent because a pre-purchase is not a black and white issue. Many people think horses "pass" a vet exam, but no horse is going to actually vet sound. There are going to be physical things that happen with them and it is an accessment at a period of time. His work load is different from what you were doing, and depending on what the bump on his back is, it could have developed there.

You seem to be in an unfortunate situation with your trainer that seems to have reached a major negative. A professional would not talk to someone in such a way, and to be certain would not talk to me or if I had a child my child in that way--teenager or otherwise. You are in a very stressful situation and she did not make it better.

Praying for you both.

thanks EllaM

the vets there know about the situation and how much money and ect. we can afford, the agreed.know they do nothing else(besides the scan and other test) until we get there and talk to them face to face. I was actually surprised yesterday when the told me he needed to stay and he had to go in a hot stall that i could take him back myself(vet techs usally do that stuff). And i think i mention before our friend works at this hospitail and I even used to work there(during the summer). So they do have an idea and my mom is going to call today to see how gatsby is and ask more questions.

You kill me Remmie! [ROTFL]

BQD: Ask A LOT of questions..make lists. Do you have pre-purchase x-rays? Those along with the report would be helpful; like everyone else said, camp out in the guys office until you get them.

As far as your trainer goes; we'll save that for another day. [shocked]

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

" you cant spend a fortune in vet bills on a $1800 dollar horse thats crazy

Let me tell you.... Vet bills work at an odd inverse rate. Your horse decides how much he is worth... if you didn't pay what he thinks is his full price when you bought him, he'll figure out ways to make you pay up later.

[Eek!]

Be careful with the free horses, those guys will REALLY dig into your bank account to make you cough up an appropriate amount of money for them.

Keep working on it... once you know what is going on it will get better. Not knowing is tough. Hang in there.

[Huggy]

That's so True Dawn!!!

The only thing free about Tristan was the purchase price. I've been making payments on his true value ever since I've owned him (five years).

BQD, I am betting whatever ails Gatsby will be manageable. Your vet. sound great. If you the price is fine with your Mom, leave him there.

I would suggest however, that you do not take him back to your current barn. I would use these next coupld of days to find a new barn and trainer! It should never matter how much anybody spends on a horse, they are deserving of the very best care that we can give them!

Keep us posted. [Huggy]

quote:

I would suggest however, that you do not take him back to your current barn. I would use these next coupld of days to find a new barn and trainer!

i dont know if i could because i have to work off the board, i did have a few places in mind though [Wink]

I'm gonna see what she says tonight,(i feed the horses tonight) so i'm curious to see what she says to me [Question]

quote:

Originally posted by Remmie:

Here's what I want to do to your trainer.

-

and here's all you can do.

-

Enough said!!!

[Not Worthy][Not Worthy] They do say pictures can speak a thousand words right? I cannot believe a trainer would say something like that to you. The purchase price isn't Gatsby's true worth after you have spent time with him and have gotten to know him. [Huggy] to you and good luck with the vet!

Edited because it's too early in the morning for me to figure out quotes.

[ 09-14-2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Inky ]

BisquickDoc,

First off my thoughts and prayers are with you and Gatsby. Keep a positive attitude it will go a long way for both of you.

I did not notice in the previous posts..have you asked the vet at the hospital to contact the pre-purchase vet? It will be much more difficult for him/her to put off another vet.

From experience I can tell you this..no matter what is thrown at you and Gatsby you will be able to handle it. You would be surprised how well you will step up to the plate when you have to.

The hospital will most likely let you visit Gatsby when you want to. The one my horse was at encouraged daily visits to keep his life somewhat normal. I even camped out there several nights.

As for your trainer - DUMP HER!. She has just told you volumes about the type of human she is. There is absolutely no excuse for the cruelty she aimed at you. [Mad]

Hang in there - You have a lot of support here on HC [Huggy]

quote:

Originally posted by Horsecrazyme:

All us board buddies on HC need to pay a visit to this "trainer" of yours
[Mad][Mad][Mad]

You're in PA? I got relatives in PA, kid. Italian relatives. We don't get mad, we get even. If you want me to call my cousin Freddy da Leg Breaker, you just tell me, kay? [Wink]

Forgettaboudit [ROTFL][ROTFL][ROTFL]

where do you come up with these smiles??

I thought about what Boocoo said and call a barn today. Its called Idel Creek, if anyone from Ps has her of it. its a lot closer to my house and the vet. tech(my friend) boards 3 of her horses at my current barn(2 she doesnt ride and the other is just a baby) BUT her stallion(2nd level percheron stallion 17.2 hands*drools*) she boards at idel creek. Anyways..... i called them today and left a message, so hopefully i get a call back pretty soon [big Grin]

[ 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]