Sign in to follow this  
phillip

ya'll like cowboy dressage

Kinda neat I watched it on rfdtv? they had western tack and clothes and did all the dressage moves and one guy did a couple of different spins like in reining? one was a flat out spin and the other looked like he was high stepping with his front feet but crossing them over. Just a different look with western stuff most have tights/helment/english saddle doing those moves. full lengh manes also. [smiley Wavey]

Would you possibly be thinking about Roy Yates maybe? I went to his clinic when he was in MT and thats what he called it "cowboy dressage" because dressage and reining are alot alike.. and beifit from eachother

I've never seen Roy Yates. There is an Eitiene somebody, and he is quite popular. I'm not personally crazy about him just because of his training techniques though. He has a device that he uses to tie a horses head to his tail and you leave the horse that way, which is not cool for me. He markets it on his web site. For me, that just will never be dressage in any shape or form if you have to use something like that to get a performance out of a horse, but I don't care for Sjef and Anky either.

I did like the reining and dressage comparison that Dressage Today did a few years ago. It was pretty neat.

He is very controversial in his techniques. He's European and started out as a dressage rider. He states that he always wanted to be a cowboy and has managed to combine the two. I've only seen a very short video of him and so don't feel qualified to comment. What I did see was he's more on the line of "circus or trick" horses than classical dressage. He does market the "head to tail" device that give me chills when I think of the poor horses that have to endure it. Where's the release of pressure reward? What is he trying to accomplish with this thing? And $75.00 for a video! I wouldn't pay that much for anyone's.

I guess I did comment after all.

wow. i still don't get it! [Razz] lol! It does sound interesting however..........as a devout english rider who performs strictly in dressage, it would be definately entertaining. call me if you find a show offering those classes! [Cool]

Oh man, I wish they would come up with some kind of class where you could complete in dressage with western tack and attire. Bring on the cowboy hats, chaps and maybe a few spins. Might bring some more fun and excitement to the sport.

http://www.cowboydressage.com

It's very pretty to watch! I know nothing about his training devices, but I caught a performance up in Madison Wisconsin a year or two ago and it was magnificent! I actually took it up for awhile with my Son's late APHA mare. She had quite a gift for it. We did some demo's with it at a few fairs. It was fun to do.

Sounds weird,

I dont see how you could do classical dressage with all the bulk that a western saddle has between you and the horse. Its really hard to feel your horse through those saddles (i dont like them, but thats just me).

[Jump]

Now this is something that has gotten my attention [Wink] I would love to see this in person before I weigh my opinion [smile]

Cowboy dressage - hmmm... so that's what we have been doing. Infact as of yesterday my 9 yr. old QH is mastering the basics for a beautiful Levade. We had been attempting to learn how to jump a set of barrels with only the front feet and then go sideways to the left or right off the barrels. Well, she did it. I think the part that amazed me was she did it at liberty. She simply elevated her front end as she squatted deeply in her hindquarters, picked both front feet up at the same time, paused and then dropped them on the other side of the barrels. She already knew how to go sideways over the barrels. Now that I know she understands the mechanics, I will begin asking her to do the same with no target. Let you know how it turns out in a month or two.