Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

The General Chit Chat thread for the Dressage Board Posters

Just a quick update...the "miracle horse" is still hanging in there. He is not out of the woods, but hs is such a stoic guy! [big Grin]

Oh, Inky, can we keep a little "chat room" avaiable like this for the dressage people? I know this stuff should tecnically be in the chit chat section, but that includes everyone...I like chatting with my dressage buds:-) (Does that sound selfish?)

Well I imagine if I told my parents that one BQD, they would just look at me clueless and say "shockwaves? what?" [Razz] Glad he's finally home! So did you discover the dog and cat on your roof before or after you got him home? [Razz]

Beckham, that's great news! And I plan on keeping this one up for you guys [Wink] I know that sometimes we just like to chat with our dressage buddies but it's not always about dressage!

Wild Oak, no problem [Cool] and I know what you mean about the no money thing, I got stiffed on about $350 from my last paycheck, I have to go in and yell at them for the THIRD TIME about getting it [Mad] Hope all goes well with the prospective buyer!

i got a question for all my dressage buds!!(copied it from horse health board )

the vets gave me lots of info and printed instructions on how to bring Gatsby back into shape and feeling better. The vet also included a list of supplements that he "Strongly recommends" I put my horse on. The supplements include CONGUER, GROUND LIMESTONE, and HARVEST SALT, ACCEL, and a WEIGHT BUILDER. HE is already on Horse Shoers Secert because of his awfuk TB feet, i not its not the same but dont you think thats a little much?? Some of the supplements are very expensive and i'm willing to pay but does he truely need all that? i can understand the CONQUER because its to keep joints heakthy but the ground limestone and harvest salt? shouldnt a simple vitamin/mineral supplement be ok instead of 10 different little things? I've never been on to supplement but this vet high suggests it, any thoughts?

BQD - Are you sure he didnt mean for you to choose one off the list?

Inky - The bridle is fab! He's gonna be one pampered pony! Good luck guessing who I am!

Beckham03 - So glad to hear your horse is getting better... I'll keep my fingers crossed that everying goes a'ok!

Boo - How is Beau doing? Hope your move went ok... I was thinking about you yesterday! Oh and your PM is returned btw.

I rode the 5yo yesterday... I swear that his trot is getting bigger as he gets stronger - lord knows what his extension is going to be like [Eek!] . He is really getting the concept of counterbending. Shoulder-in is coming along nicely, and his leg yeild is getting better [still needs to get his butt over some though].

nope he ment all of them cuz there all for different things, i dunno why there are so many [Confused]

oh i forgot about the move boocoo! how'd it go? and i hope your horse is doing well!!

Hey BQD! Check out Legacy. It's "technically" a senior supplement, but I know of a couple of people who use it on less senior horses (I use it for my 11-year-old mare).

It contains glucosamine (1800 mg) and chondroitin sulfate (600 mg) to support the joints, connective tissue and soft tissues. Yucca (5000 mg) is added as a natural ingredient. Ester-C (1000 mg) and Vitamin E (1000 mg) have been added to help as antioxidants and to strengthen the immune system. MSM (2500 mg) is also included as a dietary source of sulfur. Rice bran and yeast culture are included to improve digestive efficiency, which should help Gatsby keep weight on.

[smiley Wavey]

Edited to add: The reason I mentioned it is because of the price for what it contains. Compare it to some of the other supplements out there with similar ingredients, and you'll find that for the amounts and ingredients it contains, it is WAY less expensive than similar supplements marketed for all horses, not just senior.

[ 09-18-2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

Hi! Yeah, I haven't been around a lot lately. I've been going through a career shift. I just started my own business and have hardly had enough time to ride, let alone hang out with all the cool people on here and chat! But, things are settling down now, so I should be around more [Wink]

Beckham, good news on the miracle horse. So glad to hear he is doing well.

BQD, glad to hear Gats comes home today. Any news on finding a new barn or are you going to try to stay put for a little while?? Definitely look into some sort of a multi-purpose supplement, OR, check out Smart-Pak. I have found that getting my supplements through Smart-Pak actually works out cheaper for me, and is much easier for both me and my barn. They have a website right on line where you can price out EXACTLY how much it will cost you each month. It is super simple to use. I LOVE Smart-Pak. Best decision I ever made with regards to Razzie's supplements.

Wild Oaks, hope you get a call back on the pony. Sounds like the trial went well.

~Shelly~

Smithereens...(I am a Shelley too:-) When is your schooling show? I went on Saturday and got a 61 at First Level 1 and a 63 at First Level 4. He behaved but I had the opposite problems this time; he was LAZY! Although, when I finished my last test he didn't make it out of the arena before he peed for like 10 minutes!

The sick horse is still hanging in there! Not sure when he will be in the clear to release!

quote:

Originally posted by Beckham03:

I am a Shelley too

Wow!! We have a lot in common than I realized!! [shocked]

quote:

When is your schooling show?

This coming Sunday, the 25th. Times still aren't in yet.

quote:

I went on Saturday and got a 61 at First Level 1 and a 63 at First Level 4. He behaved but I had the opposite problems this time; he was LAZY! Although, when I finished my last test he didn't make it out of the arena before he peed for like 10 minutes!

Those are great scores!! I would be thrilled with those scores. Especially after our last outing. Anything in the 60's would make me very happy. And First Level Test 4 is not an easy test. The counter canter is a hard one for Raz and I. We can do it decent enough at home, but if it is only "decent" at home, then I figure we probably aren't ready to attempt it at a show. However, if we do well in this upcoming schooling show, then our next outing in the spring, I imagine my trainer will probably bump us to First 3 and 4. That should give us plenty of time to polish up the counter canter loops though!!

No wonder your boy was "lazy" - he had to pee so bad he could barely move!! [Eek!]

~Shelly~

i looked at smaertpak and i though they were really more expensive but i didnt calulate how much it would be a month. I'll can do that though and yes it would be much more simple! Still looking for a barn, but again having no luck! right now we're on a very tight budget(VET BILLS) but i'll see what we can do. If anyone knows any barns in wetsern pa just me know!!! [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

i looked at smaertpak and i though they were really more expensive but i didnt calulate how much it would be a month.

I think it depends on exactly what you get and how much you get. When I looked at it initially, that was my thought, too. Then I sat down and figured out exactly how much I spent per month going to the tack store. When I plugged in the exact dosages for each supplement into Smartpak, I think I saved a $1 or $2 in the winter, but then when Razzie's coat supplement got doubled in the summer, I saved closer to $10 or more per month. And then let's talk about how much easier it is not to have to GO to the tack store to pick up the supplement, or worry if or when the barn has run out, or if the barn is ACTUALLY feeding the correct amount every day, etc., etc.

With the Smartpak, it just automatically arrives every month. The barn workers just have to open a "pak" each morning feed regardless of what I am currently feeding him. They don't have to worry about any changes I may or may not make. Smartpak always e-mails me each month a few days in advance to remind me that my ship date is coming up, and if I want to make any changes, do so before X date.

I think the thing that most impressed me, when I first signed up with Smartpak, within the first week a representative called me. She told me that if I was willing to let my next shipment come a week early, she could "add me" to the barn's major shipment that they get every month and save me over $6/month in shipping charges. Smartpak didn't have to do that. They ended up really making my savings worthwhile though. I've been using it for six months or more now and been very pleased with the system.

If I were you, I would price out everything through the tack/feed store, then price it all out through Smartpak. If it can save you even a few dollars, it is worth it just for the aggravation it will save you in having to constantly drive to the tack store and buy the stuff yourself. And if your barn is one of those that makes you make your own "supplement baggies" for your horse . . . [Roll Eyes]

~Shelly~

No, that doesn't sound right at all. Are you sure you put in the correct dosages??? You probably way overdosed on something or other if your monthly cost was way too high.

~Shelly~

Well, some supplements are really expensive! I have been thinking about trying SmartPak but for me it works out to a few dollars more each month. Although, out here in the boonies I have to drive 45 minutes to get my supplements, so I guess it would save me some serious time and money in that regard.

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

Well, some supplements are really expensive! I have been thinking about trying SmartPak but for me it works out to a few dollars more each month. Although, out here in the boonies I have to drive 45 minutes to get my supplements, so I guess it would save me some serious time and money in that regard.

With the price of gas recently, I bet Smartpak is actually a BIG savings over driving to buy your supplements!! [Razz]

~Shelly~

BQD - Just for comparrison, try Valley Vet Supply. SmartPak is really convenient and a great concept, but Valley Vet seems to have pretty good prices too. Just a though... $65 seems expensive every month, but I guess it depends on what all you're getting for that.

Sheesh, horses don't even have a clue how much we go through for them! [ROTFL]

i did look at valley vet and it was about 6 dollars cheaper BUT the shipping was like $20 dollars [Eek!] and at smaetpak the shipping was on 5.95 so it was cheaper! thanks! [big Grin]

the supplement the vet suggested i put him on is Conquer and very its very expensive but he thinks its the best out there. Any thing for gatsby [Roll Eyes] who BTX was a shoes in his STALL and had a bad case of thrush [Duh]

STUPID WHIMPY OTTB [Mad][Razz]

[ 09-20-2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

If your horse is on a lot of supplements, Smart Pak will make it easier on everyone and ensure proper dosage. I often thought about Smart Pak for Santanna...and might actually get it one of these days....

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

anyone know where deequeue is??? what did she decided to do about the hore??

[Confused] Maybe she decided to get it and is spending all her time with it?

Well, i am the proud owner of 1 plate, 8 pins, and a borken leg. No worries, i wasnt in some horrific accident. Since i was born my left leg was twisted funny, and well, the older i got the worse it got. My knee and foot had about a 80 degree difference to their alignment. So on monday they fixed that my breaking my leg just a bove the ankle and realigning my foot with my knee. they are holding it in place with a plate and eight pins, so no cast. Spent 2 miserable days in the hospital on drugs and now am home bored. Attached is a picture of it. The incision is about 8 inches long. so, now Digger gets a good long holiday, as i am not allowed to ride for 2-3 months. at the bottom are some pics of us the day before. I guess im not moving him to that new stable now, seeing as i cant ride him anyway!! Plus he was doign SOOO well with his new bit. really startign to collect up nice. His topline is starting to look much more developed, and it is even feeling much mroe developed than it was.

My leg --

-

Digger sporting the saddle pad I bought at spruce meadows. hes getting to look more like a horse now, not so much like a baby.

-

Digger in the fall leaves.

-

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

With the price of gas recently, I bet Smartpak is actually a BIG savings over driving to buy your supplements!!
[Razz]

~Shelly~

I know you're right! I am going to have to go back to the website and see how much it costs, then figure out my drive time, gas money etc.

Crazy Appy I hope your leg is feeling better! [Huggy]

Oh, love the horse Crazy-Appy! What a beauty! I'm sorry about your leg...I hope you heal fast! That can't be fun.

As for me, I'm still searching for full-time work. I'm stressing out big time about it, and I think that my husbands family (i.e. my inlaws) think i'm some sort of loser. [Me Cry]