Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

The General Chit Chat thread for the Dressage Board Posters

Morning All!

Glad everyone had a reasonable weekend, apart from SG with her icky fish and poor DQ who must be about ready to give up completely.....

My weekend went well - I finally found a possible solution to my favorite, but crippled mare problem. I had decided to breed her next year, and had found a really nice stallion, an own son of Seattle Slew, but whose stud fee isn't exactly small - and whilst I really don't care what sort of foal I get - healthy is all I ask for - I would be a little peeved if it was truly dreadful for that kind of money LOL.

So I found a stallion (www.freebreeding.com) that is pretty nice but with a tiny stud fee - so I can see how she produces without destituting myself!

I don't have any lessons this week as I have a design deadline on October 1st, and I should be doing that instead of procrastinating and posting on here [big Grin] but after the past week, where I have done a huge planting job on a house which is a testament to conspicuous over consumption, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Mind you, I need to get over it, because let's face it, I need to pay for three horses somehow.....

oh well, back to the drawing board (literally)

[smiley Wavey]

Okay dressage buddies...I have a huge dilemma and I need your advice!

My big interview is tomorrow. The job I am applying for is with a big company that is very successful. Should I get the position, I would finally have a career (not just a job) and there would be endless opportunities for advancement. The key word here is "SHOULD". There is no guarantee that I will get this position, and competition is stiff.

Today, I was offered a customer service position at the cable service provider that provides digital cable, internet, and phone service to a huge area in our state. If I take the position, I will have to drive 45 minutes just to get to work, and the shift they want me for is 4:30 in the morning until 1:30 in the afternoon. I would work every day except wednesday and thursday. This job is not ideal, and nothing I could see myself making a career out of, but it is full time with benefits...and benefits are something that my husband's job doesn't provide.

So, what do I do? Take the job with the cable company because it is full-time? Turn it down in hopes that something MIGHT happen with the other company?

Gah. I want to make the right decision.

[Duh]

How long do you have to decide on the customer service job?? Generally you do not have to make a decision on the spot. Tell them you would like to consider their offer and get back to them within 24 to 48 hours. That is reasonable, and would give you enough time to tell whether or not the “big interview” goes well. Also even if you were to accept the job with the digital cable company, it wouldn’t start immediately. You could tell them that you were not available to start for a week or two (wouldn’t you have to give notice at the pet store anyway?). And that would give sufficient time for you to interview at the big company. If something panned out there between now and your start date with the digital cable company, then you could always call the digital cable company and let them know that you have had second thoughts on accepting their job offer – that the job just isn’t the right match for you. Not an ideal option, but I can certainly understand not wanting to turn down a less than perfect but still good job opportunity in a tight job market.

The trick is in finding just the right balancing point – how long do you hold out for the PERFECT job without holding out for so long that you end up with nothing. Tough call.

~Shelly~

The thing is, the position that I am applying for tomorrow doesn't start until November 1st. (Not sure why.) So I don't know if they'd let me know in a reasonable time frame whether or not I have the position, or if I'd actually have to wait until November.

I was planning on continuing to work at the pet store part-time in addition to a full-time job until I get caught up on bills. So giving notice isn't an issue since I don't need to do it.

I told the cable company that i'd let them know by friday. They were fine with that. [Confused]

Santas_Girl - you should be able to find out during your interview tomorrow when they would plan to notify you. If it seems appropriate, you can let them know that you would really like to work with them, and feel you have a lot to offer the company now and in the future, but you also have another opportunity you have been offered.

leoned - you mentioned getting back to the drawing board, "literally" - what do you do? I ask because I'm a designer and it sounds like you may be a "creative" as well? Just curious...

[smiley Wavey]

Well, my best friend and I went to this bridal store right down the street. They are supposed to be a one stop bridal shop (much like the kind of store we wanted to open). However, I wasnt impressed by the items they did have. Their florist was way under par, esp with the center pieces. The rentable archways and such were dirty and broken in parts. Then they put "Private Collection" on their dresses but didnt remove the designed tags! LOL They have the dress I am going to buy (which is by Mon Cheri) but said it was their own collection. And when I spoke to the salewoman about the dress I wanted (Mon Cheri) she was like "Oh this store at the beach carries that brand" but didnt mention her store. I almost called her out on it but lol it was funny.

I found some REALLY cute clothes that I want to get at this store in one of the malls here. However, of course, none of them are on sale right now. *sigh* I need a job!

But I did however find some uber cute sunglasses that I HAD to get. Only $10!

-

They have little "diamonds" on the side and the ear part is really cute. YAY (dork).

And one more pic b/c Im a tard.

-

Oh well thats about it for today.

Meg, Id try and wait it out and see what happens with that other job before the cable tv one.

SG - good luck tomorrow! Hope you can find out before Friday... I think it is reasonable to say that though you would of course love to work for them more than anything in the whole world ever, you need to know before Friday - and if they say tough, then accept the other job.... sounds awful, but you can always quit it to take up a better offer... "Eats first, morality after" Brecht.

ES - I'm a Landscape Architect. What do you do?

Krazy.... those glasses are way cool....if a little scary [Eek!]

I have managed to draw the front entrance garden so far...... sigh.... its going to be a loooong day tomorrow - I just can't get motivated...

You can have them wait one more day to see how it goes on the other. They are spending a lot of money to give you those tests. You are going to do well on those tests. I'd wait.

You could always accept and get a starting day of Monday and go take the other test anyways. You can always quit the cable company. I know human resources would not like to hear me say that but you have to do what's best for you.

We hire people for my hubbie's business and that happens all the time.

Scary? They are HOT! LOL Of course I am also 21 and into that trendy stuff! [Wink]

Had a woman from Maine call about my mare for sale. She sounded wonderful and if she strictly wanted to do dressage, I think they would have worked well together. However, she wanted a horse that would teach her to jump. My mare needs at least an intermediate rider for jumping, but could carry a beginner child on the flat. Its a shame but I was able to direct her to Dreamhorse, Ponycity, and AGDirect.

Everything is set for tomorrow AM. Layla should be at the new place around 11 am. I WILL get pics. You guys gotta see this covered arena! YAY! Plus, its nice b/c they use the same feed as the barn that shes at now, so I dont have to worry about her switching over. [Jump]

The Amazing Race starts in 3 mins. WOO FREAKING HOO! I cant wait.

Gotta go watch it!

Leoned - That stallion is GORGEOUS! [Eek!] (Where is the "wiping drool from my chin" icon?)

Krazy - I love the glasses! I have some vey similar ones. [Wink]

BQD - What happened with changing barns? Are you still going to move Gatsby?

I have another person intersted in my POA pony for sale. They want to come out next Tuesday and try him, but you know how that goes. [Roll Eyes] What is it with horse people being so flaky? Besides us responsible horse people on the HC dressage board, I mean!

Shantel, are you selling Layla? I'm confused as always.

And yes, BQD, are you still moving your gorgeous horse?

[ 09-28-2005, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

Meg, I have Layla up for sale but am not actively selling her. I thought I was like 3 months ago but then I moved the wedding date up and decided that even if I did sell her and get that school master horse that I wouldnt have time FOR that school master horse.

Laylas the type of horse that you can go out and ride once every 2 weeks and shes the same horse EVERY time. Doesnt need to be lunged before getting on, even if its cold. Its so nice to have that. Just have a horse you can just go out and play with and ride if you want and not worry if they are going to be fresh.

If someone contacts me and they are just absolutely PERFECT for her, then Id consider it. If not, then thats ok and she'll come to the new house.

Its 9:10. My friend will be here at 10am to go with me to get Layla ready and pack up my stuff. Then she'll be at the new barn! YAY!

Also meeting with the electrician today to discuss where to put lights and outlets in the house.

And another chiro appt at 4. LOL But I am feeling so much better.

To think, my shoulder pain that plauged me for 8 months is finally GONE after seeing a competent chiro. You guys have NO idea what a relief it is!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

quote:

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare:

To think, my shoulder pain that plauged me for 8 months is finally GONE after seeing a competent chiro. You guys have NO idea what a relief it is!

I’ve suffered from really, really bad migraines for most of my life. Nothing has helped, and trust me, I’ve tried everything. Antidepressants, blood pressure meds, acupressure, chiro, MRI, EEG, steroid injections, hormones, dietary changes, etc. I usually end up in the hospital once or twice a year they get so bad. They only thing that takes the pain away is heavy does of narcotic pain killers. The nice new non-narcotic migraine medicines such as Imitrex have no effect whatsoever on my migraines. In fact, they tend to make my migraines worse. I was getting migraines about two or three times a week.

Then in January, my doctor called me and told me to schedule an appointment and come see him. There was an Epilepsy drug on the market that the FDA had just approved for use with migraines that he wanted me to try. I checked it out online. I had dropped out of treatment before when we reached the Epilepsy series of drugs due to their NASTY side effects. This drug however was different. Rather than the normal nasty side effects of possible seizures and brain damage, liver/kidney damage and the need for constant monitoring for toxic levels, the only side effect of this drug was weight loss. Hmmm . . . I’ll take the weight loss any day!!!

I went on the drug in February. Within 4 DAYS, I knew it was the answer to my life long struggle with migraines. The results were nearly instantaneous. I had no idea how much day to day pain I had been living with that I hadn’t even been calling a migraine. I am now down to 1 migraine a month. I know precisely when the migraine will hit because it is associated with my period, and the severity of the migraine is about half of what it used to be. As for the weight loss, I lost 35lbs in 2 months. I went from a size 14 to a size 4 (which is correct for my height), then leveled off and have stayed the same ever since. My metabolism went through the roof, and I can out eat the two teenage boys in the house!! My doctor has kept an eye on my medicine, weight and overall health and is VERY pleased with how I am responding to the medicine. All the “normal” triggers that used to cause me to have severe migraines have no effect on me any longer.

So, YES, I do have some idea of what it is like to suffer from extended pain, then finally experience relief!! And the weight loss hasn’t been bad either!! [Wink]

~Shelly~

[big Grin] Krazy you aren't alone, I've gone through two back injuries, PFS in both knees, rotator cuff tendonitis in both shoulders, weak ankles from rolling them and spraining them so much in gymnastics, and weak wrists from impact from gymnastics. Lets just say my entire body is screwed up now, and I haven't had a day without pain for about 4 years now [Crazy] The sad part? I'm only 20, the common joke among my friends was that I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 21 and a nursing home by 30, so I've got exactly 6 months to pass that goal [Razz]

SG, major prayers and crossed fingers for you, today's the day!

Shantel – love the glasses!! Don’t you dare tell me what happens in Amazing Race!! I’ve taped it but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. We were too busy building a door on the kitty room last night. They have a door though. YIPPEEEE!!! Now to put a “pet door” to the bulk head area where the litter box will be located, then the kitties can move in with us.

SG – if you haven’t heard back from the Big Company by Friday, call the Digital Cable company and accept the job, but tell them you have to give notice at your current place of employment and stretch that out AT LEAST two weeks. That is standard so they can not complain about that. You should hear something from the Big Company in those two weeks, then you will know for sure whether you need the job with the Digital Cable company or not.

Wild Oaks – Hope the prospective buyers don’t turn out to be flakes. Selling is even harder than buying.

Leoned – good luck meeting that deadline – I’m feeling about as unmotivated as you are this week. Nothing seems to be getting done.

The boyfriend just called – the electrical inspector just signed off on the house. Phew!! One down, two to go. Next the plumbing inspector, then the building inspector, then we are all done.

~Shelly~

Well, I am back from my big interview deal.

I met everyone in the department and sat in on the job for a while. The job looks like something i'd really love doing! Then I took the Calipher test. I think I did well on that, but who knows, I think it all depends upon what they are looking for.

I asked when I would know more about the position, and the lady told me that today was just the second step in a four step process to apply for employment there. If the Calipher test shows that I will be a good fit for the position and the company, I will be put into a "pool" of candidates. From that pool they will select finalists, and finalists will be notified in 3 weeks. Finalists will then go on to continue the interview process.

The position is supposed to start November 1st, but she said it would likely be after that as the company does not hurry when hiring in order to ensure they hire the right people.

The lady informed me that all the people they have recently hired have been hired due to employee referrals. That indicated to me that alot of your succes is based on who you know...and I don't know anyone that works there...so if someone that knows someone comes along and applies I could very well be toast...

Bah. Everything is so up in the air right now. [bang Head] I don't know what to do. I want to make the RIGHT choice. I know the days of working one job until retirement are pretty much gone, but I want a job that I can be at for a while...long-term if at all possible. I'm ready for a career--I don't want just a job. This position would rock my socks. I know the cable company is far from the right choice for me. But, I need money and benefits.

Thoughts? Advice? Prayers? [bang Head][bang Head][bang Head] :

[ 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

SG - It sounds like you did the best you could do. Now all you can do is wait and pray. In the mean time, I would accept the cable company job. You can always quit if the Big Company Job comes through for you. Not the coolest thing, but you gotta look out for #1. So, in the meantime, we'll all help say some prayers with you.

[Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel]

~Shelly~

I agree - take the cable company job and if you get the big one, quit. Unless you REALLY don't want to work there. Finding a job sucks. I have been looking since April. I finally started substitute teaching at the same school my MIL works at. They just offered me a full-time, permanent position as a Math Aide. So I guess it really does matter who you know! I am taking the job (desperately need $$$), but it starts at 7:30 and is a half hour away...that's early when you have 6 horses and 3 donkeys to take care of. And it pays something awful. But...a job's a job, and I can do anything for a year! I am hoping to take on some boarders and do some beginner/kid lessons. With two boarders and three students I would make more than I am going to make as an Aide! [Eek!] They don't pay well out here.

Smithereens, that sounds like a wonder drug! My husband's aunt has horrible migraines and she takes shots for them. I thought she said something about it being an epileptic drug as well, but I could be wrong. I can't even imagine. I NEVER get headaches, ever. If I get the tiniest one I think I must have a brain tumor because it's so abnormal for me. But since I started substituting (1st and 2nd grades) I have gone home with a minor headache almost every day! [bang Head] So I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a "real" headache or migraine.

Santa's Girl: Good things take a long time taking shape. It was three months from the date I first applied for my current job til the day I was hired.

Take the cable job now and keep going through the process at the other place. It's always easier to get hired if you are already working anyways.

Look out for yourself first. A company (I don't care what company, or how good they are to their employees) will always do what is best for itself before considering the employee you so you have to have the same attitude (within reason of course). It's just business.

[ 09-28-2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

My husband's aunt has horrible migraines and she takes shots for them. I thought she said something about it being an epileptic drug as well, but I could be wrong.

That sounds like Imitrex. It is the only migraine shot drug I know of that you don't have to go to the hospital to get. It is a painkiller that you take AFTER you get the migraine. The drug I take is an epileptic drug that I have to take twice a day EVERYDAY for the rest of my life, and it PREVENTS me from ever getting the migraine in the first place. The drug is called Topamax. It is only prescribed for migraine suffers who have tried everything and nothing has worked. It is considered a "drug of last resort", but it is getting phenomenal results and is being prescribed more and more freely now, so if your husband's aunt is getting migraines, you may suggest she talk to her doctor about this drug. Never hurts to ask, and you know within a month if it will work or not.

~Shelly~

Inky, I feel your pain. After breaking my femur and cracking my right hip, having compressed nerves from my back to my left leg, all sorts of back problems, and now my neck curving the WRONG way, I totally get it. AND Im 21! I have arthritis in my right knee and hip. By the time Im 30, Ill need a scooter to get around! [Wink]

So the move went well. I am SO glad I am away from that crazy a$$ BM from the other barn. She asked how much board was at the new place. And I told her. And shes like I dont know how you can afford that. Its a lot of money. What the eff? How do you know what I can afford? Ugh.

Then she kept telling me that the new barn doesnt clean the stalls on Sundays and the turnout sucks. Uhm.. HELLO? First off, shes NEVER been there, didnt even know where it was. Secondly, I dropped by unannounced on a Sunday to check the place out and they were cleaning the stalls. And the turnout is GREAT. So many trees and shade - unlike that ladys barn.

I am so glad I dont have to deal with her anymore. WHEW. And Layla settled in great. She was eating hay in her stall and flirting with one of the boys next to her. Shes so happy to have T/A again instead of coastal.

Heres 2 pics from the place. This is a pic of the covered/lighted arena. They have sprinklers all around it so it gets watered every day and they also drag it at least once a day. I am SO in love.

-

And this is a pic of the gazzebo *sp* where people can sit and watch you ride and it has nice chairs and FANS.

-

So yeh. For me, totally worth $560/mo for only 4-5 months until the house is finished. To have my horse back only 10 mins down the road and being able to ride whenever I want, regardless of the heat or rain - PRICELESS.

Meg, Id take the cable job and then if you happen to get the bigger job, just be like I have another job offer, PEACE OUT. [Wink]

smith, I totally need some of that med. I dont get migrains but I could totally stand to lose 35 lbs in 2 months! HOOK A SISTA UP! [Cool]

quote:

Originally posted by KrazyTBMare:

I totally need some of that med. I dont get migrains but I could totally stand to lose 35 lbs in 2 months! HOOK A SISTA UP!

The drug company is trying to get the FDA to approve the drug as a weight loss drug as well since it is obviously so much safer and effective than most of the fad drugs you see on the infomercials and in the health food stores. However, they aren’t really sure what is going on AFTER the initial weight loss. At first it is acting as a weight suppressant. I went through that phase in the first couple of months. I lost the weight because it helped me to diet correctly. No problem. But NOW . . . ????? I am eating like I was 15yo again not 35. ???? It has flipped some switch somewhere. I’m guessing that my metabolism is racing. I can (and do) eat high fat, high carb, high calorie, and still LOSE weight. ???? So they have to figure out what it is that the drug is doing that causes this before the FDA will approve the usage as a weight loss drug.

LOVE that arena at the new barn!!! Glad to hear Layla settled in so well.

~Shelly~

Too bad I dont have migrains. My DR wont do any weight loss pills. Oh well, off to the gym to do it the old fashion way!

Thanks about the barn. I am too excited about being able to use the arena and round pens, etc. SO nice!

[big Grin]

Thanks everyone for your input, advice, and good thoughts. This situation is so frustrating. It means a lot that you all are out there reading my plight and such.

Shantel...the new barn sounds lovely. And the covered arena looks nice...and HUGE! [Eek!] I would have half a mind to punch the lady who assumed you couldn't afford the new place. Of course, i'm not violent, so I wouldn't have actually done it...but I would have thought about it.

And for those who mentioned losing weight...can I jump on the bandwagon? I've put on some extra poundage since I haven't been working 50+ hours a week.

[ 09-28-2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

quote:

Originally posted by Santas_Girl:

Okay dressage buddies...I have a huge dilemma and I need your advice!

My big interview is tomorrow. The job I am applying for is with a big company that is very successful. Should I get the position, I would finally have a career (not just a job) and there would be endless opportunities for advancement. The key word here is "SHOULD". There is no guarantee that I will get this position, and competition is stiff.

Today, I was offered a customer service position at the cable service provider that provides digital cable, internet, and phone service to a huge area in our state. If I take the position, I will have to drive 45 minutes just to get to work, and the shift they want me for is 4:30 in the morning until 1:30 in the afternoon. I would work every day except wednesday and thursday. This job is not ideal, and nothing I could see myself making a career out of, but it is full time with benefits...and benefits are something that my husband's job doesn't provide.

So, what do I do? Take the job with the cable company because it is full-time? Turn it down in hopes that something MIGHT happen with the other company?

Gah. I want to make the right decision.

[Duh]

Go on the interview. Tell the cable company you need to think about the offer, you've got to rearrange your sock drawer or something, stall for some time.

Tell the interview you're going on that you have another job offer pending and how soon would they be able to make a decision? not an unreasonable request, especially if this is a 2nd interview and you're in the top 2 or 3. I wouldn't say anything otherwise.

ALWAYS hedge your bets when it comes to job offers. Especially if you are holding out for the job you really want. Worse comes to worst, you take the cable co. job and get offered this other one in a couple of weeks, you leave the cable job, and so be it.

Good luck...can't wait to hear how the interview goes!!! [big Grin]

i cant keep up with all this, lol [big Grin] so i'll just start with thursday!

today my school got cancelled because of a power outage [Yay] i'm not complaining because as you cant my mine is still on!! [big Grin] And tomarrow we have off!

i think i'm going to ask my grandpa if he'll take me to the tack shop, lol gatsby needs new winter blankets. Its been 40 degrees and wet and raining here, i've really never blamketed before because my horses werent in enough work or they had plenty of winter coat. but gatsby will be blanketed and they told me to buy a sheet and a med. weight.the sheet is for 45 and below and the med. weight is for below freezing! does that sound right??

your barn is having a bon fire on saturday so i'm guessing all the "older folks" will be drunk, and all the "kids" will go on a trail ride! i will be working to make sure all the horses are fed ansd stalls are clean! how fun [Roll Eyes]

Hope everyone else has a better weekend planed!! [smiley Wavey]

[ 09-29-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]