Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

The General Chit Chat thread for the Dressage Board Posters

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the sheet, unless it's to keep him clean. If you put something lightweight on a horse, it doesn't serve to add any warmth. In fact, it just stops the hair coat from fluffing up and creating natural insulation from the chill.

I would think the cooler you talked about a while ago would be a necessity and a blanket that won't rip or shift easily. I gather that he'll be outdoors a lot, so you'll need a waterproof turnout blanket with shoulder gussets, leg straps and a high denier so it won't rip or move around on him when he rolls, gallops and bucks in the pasture. If it is not waterproof, you'll end up having to have two so that when it is soaked and muddy, you have another that he can wear while you wash the filthy one.

Edited to say: Hey, is this for your new barn. Sounds like the standards are a little higher. Did you move yet?

[ 09-29-2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

thanks Remmie! no its not for the new barn, its for the same old barn [Frown] i guess i never told you guys about the barn! [Duh] ok so we went there and it was absolutley beautiful! the stalls were so clean everything was in very neat order! the srea had excellent footing and the outdorr was huge!! [Eek!] the pastures where to die for!! [shocked] really great program there, mutliple trainers( 2 dressage). Now with the stalls and a job, here what she told me. She waiting for one of her boarders to move from there(she has 5 horses) and she works there to pay off some of the board and when she is gone we'll be able to move! it will be sometime next month, she gave the women a couple months to find place, cuz she boards 5 horses [Eek!] . So i'm just waiting til then, didnt tell my current barn yet, i'll wait until everything completely set [big Grin]

About the sheet, i was thinking about getting a turnout sheet with mess lining, so it provides some warmth, i think lol! i'm not very good at this blanketing thing this is just what my friend at the barn does and she suggested it. hmm maybe i should just go with a med. weight [Question] thanks REMMIE!!! [smiley Wavey]

I see, If you are definately going to that barn in a month, you'd be better asking them what you might need because their horse-keeping will no doubt be a different style. They very likely do not leave the horses out in the weather. If Gatsby is a fine coated thorobred, he may need a good, insulated blanket even in the barn. Tris always needed that or he'd be shiverin. Our barn never got cold enough for the water buckets to freeze, just for Tris to freeze. He wears a winter blanket now, even in Florida, when it is below 50 degrees.

Too bad you are not near a Stateline Warehouse store. That's where you can get a new $200.00 blanket for $60.00. I really miss that store.

Oh, I forgot to say. You are being very wise in not saying a thing about moving. Give a one week's notice when you know for sure. Even then, you may have to move immediately. Barn Owners can be awfully strange.

[ 09-29-2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Happy Thursday!

Ive got to get my highlights touched up today and get a trim. Then my friend is going to put my hair in curlers and see what happens. [Eek!] We'll see how it turns out! LOL

Chiro went well yesterday. My shoulder was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. But she adjusted my C5 and C2 and it felt great. Then she worked on my sacrum and pelvis and stretched out the vertebre in my lower back. I am a little sore from that but only b/c my back is so used to being so tight down there.

BQD, it didnt look like Gats had much of a coat. Neither does my TB. The way we blanket down here is a heavyweight turnout sheet (waterproof) for around 40s and then if its closer to 30, we put a cooler under the sheet. Then if its 30 or below, we do a heavy weight blanket (around 350 fill) and if for some strange reason it gets closer to 25-20 in FLORIDA [Crazy] we will layer again.

[Yay]

[ 09-29-2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

CrazyTBMare: It gets a lot colder in Jax than it does down here near Sarasota on the West coast. My horse would curl up and die with just a waterproof sheet in 40 degree weather. LOL!!!He must be a wimp.

thanks guys! actually at the new barn the want the horses out as much as possible but they are ALL blanketed below 45. they stay in if its below freezing though [big Grin][Yay]

my mom is so mad at me over this whole blanketing thing, she hates blankets [Duh]

this was my conversation on the phone with her this morning after i asked her to stop at the tack shop...

"Your gonna make that horse a whimp, he needs to toughen up", "mum hes a tb, hes bred to be a whimp"( [Razz] ) "havent you seen those wild mustangs that survive outside in -30 below zero", "well ok, when gatsby starts looking like a sout strudy mustang i woulnt blanket". then she gave a slight uggg "i just paid $1600 in vet bills i cant support you and whimpy horse, tell me why we sold Honey again"... haha now shes really mad. "Barb(my moms horsey freind) doesnt blanket", "well shes not God" was my reply.

"well God didnt make horses with blankets on them" she said, "yeah, thats why he made the man who invented blankets", after that we laughed together and she sighed. "what size does he need again?" [big Grin] i love my mom so much! i just hate our little fights in the horsey world [Roll Eyes]

lol she just hasnt her opinion and i have mine! if she had her way i'd be out therre barrel racin and team penning, she loves that cowboy stuff! [big Grin]

All you people who live in FL do you clip your horses in the summer??? [Eek!] i hate the hotness and i'd much rather live in alaska than FL. But i think gatsby would sneak down to FL with Rem or KrazyTB [big Grin]

Awww all the wimpy ponies! We typically didn't blanket until about -5 back home! Then again those horses no longer looked like horses....more like giant lint balls of fur [Razz] Inky no longer gets a blanket here, it's typically around 10-30 here in the winter. I tried and I tried, but every single flipping time he completely destroyed it. I came back one day to the barn to find the dang blanket around his feet hanging on literally by a thread! Don't ask me how he managed to do that much destruction in a 5 hour span, the blanket just had a couple of tears when I saw him earlier that day [Duh] So yes, my horse goes blanketless and turns into a hairball instead now lol. Decided I couldn't afford to spend hundreds of dollars every winter getting him 3-4 new blankets. Sigh

Krazy, now you're really making me tempted to try out a chrio [big Grin] We'd just have to keep it hush hush from Tadd and his mother. His mother is a physical therapist and has a firm belief that chiro's are the devil. She will literally sneer if we drive past a chiro's place and then complain about them for the next five minutes. Tadd isn't as bad, but she's beaten it into his head that chiro's are bad too lol.

BQD, you do NOT want Alaskan winters, I repeat do not want! Well they're great for other things, but they are horrid for riding. My instructor had no indoor arena, so lessons would get cancelled frequently due to ice. Snow was fine, they could plow that out. Lessons would continue until it got below 5 degrees. [Razz] And you would be riding in the dark by the time it was 2 pm. I will admit though, you would love Alaskan summers for riding! Average of 50-70 degrees in the summer with about 20-22 hours of daylight [big Grin]

Razzie is a sweater, and we have a heated indoor arena, so he gets a full body clip in the late fall, early winter (in about another month or so). He will be in a mid-weight blanket with a liner for most of the winter when the temps average right around the 30-40 mark. When things dip down colder, he has a heavy weight blanket. If temps hit arctic level, we layer him up heavy duty.

All of Razzie's blankets are waterproof and high denier with leg straps so that he can wear them inside and outside. I got them through the State Line catalog - all State Line brands - for short money. They held up VERY well last year. I am very, very pleased with them.

~Shelly~

BQD: No, we don't body clip for the summer (except the minis). They need some coat for bug and sunburn protection. I clip the minis down somewhat but not down to the skin.

Inky: I'd rather live in Alaska then Florida, but.... I'd need an indoor arena.

I do think that some breeds of horses (e.g. mustangs) grow a better, thicker winter coat. The ones who didn't just died so only the ones who inherited the genes for thick, fuzzy coats had babies.

Thoroughbreds definately are not known for their thick, fuzzy coats. Lippizans grow a lot of coat. Andalusians grow a lot of coat. Shetland ponies and minis do. Horses who were originally bred in cold, mountainous climates do and even desert horses like arabs because it can get very cold in the desert at night.

So BQD, tell mom, it's all in the genes. Gatsby doesn't have mustang genes. He has pampered racehorse genes.

[ 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Okay going way off topic here (Though Remmie, add heat to that indoor arena and you should be fine [big Grin] Have fun riding the trails in the summer to various inlets! [Razz] ) I'd like to see if you guys have any advice for me and the new pony Buster, so I'm going to copy this over from the Training board it's on Separation Anxiety:

How can I help the new pony through it? At first it seemed like all he needed to be was around horses. The first day I tried to put him in a box stall just in case for quaratine, and once he realized he was all alone he panicked and managed to leap out of a 12x12 box stall that has a door taller than him (he's 13.2) so he went out into the pasture.

So I turned him out into the large turn out area one day, thinking he will be fine since he's in a large group of horses and ponies I watched him for awhile and he appeared to be settling in fine so I left back for home for a couple of hours. I came back, and he had worked up a sweat pacing up and down one side of the paddock looking towards his pasture mates.

We were working on lunging in the round pen and everything was going fine, and then another horse came out of the barn and the owner was letting him graze. This horse was one of his pasture mates (I'm not sure if the same would happen even it wasn't a pasture mate) and all focus was lost. He began pacing the round pen closest to the horse, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and was even bonking his head against the poles. I couldn't get him refocused at all, so I got two or three decent circles out of him and called it a day on that note.

I need plenty of advice to work him through this one! He's not very good on tying yet, so we are working on his tying techniques in the outdoor arena which is right next to his pasture and the paddock so he can still see his buddies, and we've been handwalking a bit further everyday. I've never had to deal with a horse/pony with separation anxiety that was this bad.

Paxil!!

I can't really help you with this. Could he be a cryptorchid? Could he be from a wild mustang momma. If he doesn't tie, then he hasn't been worked with much and his safety would always be with his "herd."

If it's purely behavioral, then I guess I'd treat it like a "weanling" and just separate him completely til he gets used to being alone. Maybe he had a lifelong companion that he got separated from. Maybe this is the problem that got him to the feedlot.

I would think you are going to have some type of situation where he is really alone to get him to bond with people and not just horses. I don't think letting him see the horses is going to be the answer. He's going to temporarily need a stall he can't jump out of when he freaks out and he's going to need lots of attention (as you are already giving him, only more.) It is entirely possible that he has never been stalled before.

I don't suppose there's any way the feedlot can tell you who sold him there and make it possible to start there to track his history.

You have to somehow get him to depend on you for everything so he will bond with you. Who knows what he has been through, but we do know it wasn't good.

[ 09-29-2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

Thanks Remmie, unfortuantly there isn't anywhere that I can isolate him from seeing other horses unless they let me house him in the indoor arena with all doors shut [Crazy] (Though I admit that would be kind of nifty lol) Right now I'm worried that he may injure himself if I separate him from the other horses and am not there to watch him, he's managed to leap a 4 ft stall door and plow through a fence with hot wiring thus far. Wish Paxil was an option, there's actually a woman at the barn who's a little err "odd" and she gives her horse and her dog human antidepressants as well as herself. [Confused] Explained a lot to me when I found that out!

[ 09-29-2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Maybe you are going to have find a place to board him for a little while so he's all alone.

or,

there's always this:

-

or this

--

[ 09-29-2005, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

hehe, i though the animations!!!

Inky- i think it will just take time before he gets used to being ALONE or with people. Hes like the oppisite of Gatsby, Gatsby just wants to be with people and could care less about the other horses. Goofball [Crazy]

i wonder what you guys thought about clipping too? i'm kinda playing with this idea but i dunno, he doesnt grow but of a coat anyways [Confused] heres what i posted on the h/j board

quote:

i dont know weather i should clip or not, havent decided. my horses doesnt grow much of a coat and hes been clipped everyyear before for the track
[Question]
if i would do anything it would just be a belly and neck clip. I dont want to have to buy him a heavy weight blanket so i'm not surte what to do. Right now hes just in light lunging work(coming off an injury) then it increases until were back in saddle work. we only do dressage but he'll be ridden 4-6 days a week and is lunged before every ride. What do you guys think i should??

Well I could certainly have used

-

today, but not for Buster, for Inky. [bang Head] Talk about the ride from ****. Walk walk walk, doing 20 m circles and serps some leg yielding. Ask for trot. Bolt bolt, buckity buck buck, trot three steps normally start flipping head bolt bolt walk. Calm back down, bring him back together, ask for trot again, repeat scenario maybe toss in some prancing and a couple mini rears here and there FOR THE ENTIRE RIDE. Sigh, got off, grabbed the lunge line and had a lesson in how to trot nicely. Bolted several times on the line, bucked a couple more times, thank God for cotton lunge lines!!!! Wouldn't canter going clockwise then would only canter going counter clockwise. He's not lame at all, the saddle fits fine, the bridle fits fine, just feeling that danged cold snap in the air. Went nicely yesterday too [Crazy]

quote:

Originally posted by Santas_Girl:

Hey everyone! It's thursday already!
[Jump][Jump]
Does anyone have any big plans for the upcoming weekend???

Well since tomorrow's my b-day I'm enjoying the last day of being a 40-something today, working my tail off as usual. My hubby started his new job today, he's been calling me giving me the blow-by-blow of his orientation...and so this weekend we're probably going to celebrate my b-day, our 23rd anniversary on the 2nd, and his b-day on the 4th.

We call them "the holidays." [smile] This year we're not sure what we're going to do though, maybe just a nice dinner out and some together time at home.

And I'll be trying to follow some new leads on horses too. The "right" one's out there and I know we're going to find each other very soon, I feel it in my bones.... [Jump]

Okay, one more from me then it's back to work.... [Razz]

Here's the story: I asked the barn to strip and resurface Pokey's stall as last year's Noahadic rains did a number on it (if you're not sure what Noahadic means, look it up [Wink] ). So they moved him to a stall across and one over from his, next to a little mare who is a bit of a nutball but who's been living across from him for several months now.

That was last Wednesday. Sunday when I went to turn him out, the 2 of them started screaming and calling to each other like nothing I've ever heard. Pokey's never been a noisy horse, just nickers and an occasional "yee hah" while he's doing laps during his turnout time, but that's all. You would've thought he was getting weaned all over again... [Roll Eyes] And Soxy, the mare, was doing laps in her stall, calling frantically and driving me nuts as I was trying to pick out Pokey's shavings.

So last night I go to get him out to ride, and the same annoyingly awful thing. She calls, he answers, she calls, he answers, etc. etc. I finally had to put a stud chain on him and snatch him every time he got ready for a blast. Fortunately he was good during the ride, but I was ready for him to start that crap while I was on him...I ride pretty good when I'm mad [Mad] according to my trainer.

So I've moved him again, while we're waiting for them to finish working on his stall. Tonight we'll see if it's had any effect...

How exasperating. [surrender] I know they're herd animals and all, but this is beyond the pale for him. He gets attached to his neighbors but never like this. He's in an in-and-out with pipes so they have total visual access and some tail-swishing access between the pipes, but I've never seen him nutty like this before... [Confused]

Gotta love 'em I guess...let's hope he's starting to get over his "crush" tonight. [Razz]

Deequeue, Happy Birthday a day early!!!! [Yay] I hope you have a good day tomorrow! As for Pokey, I hate to say it but I think he's in love.

Santanna is madly "in love" with the little mare he shares a pasture with, and they call to each other a lot. [Roll Eyes] I think he just loves her because she's a POA just like him...lol.

As far as them calling to each other when being worked, eventually it gets to the point where you can get the horse focused enough on what he's doing and stop the insanity of frequent calling. (Did that even make sense??? I cannot communicate today to save my life!)

Inky, Buster sounds like he's going to be a challenge. But, I think he'll turn out to be a lovely horse with some hard work and compassion. As for Inky...well don't you just love how fall makes horses a little hyped? [Razz]

[ 09-29-2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

Bis, is Gatsby a sweater? Well that didn't sound right. Sounds like i'm asking if he's a piece of apparel. [Duh] Anyway, if he doesn't sweat a lot, or if you don't mind taking care and a lot of time when cooling him down this winter, I wouldn't clip him. It just doesn't seem necessary. Let him grow a coat, especially if he is sensitive to the cold and elements.

BQD: We ONLY do dressage.??????? [ROTFL][ROTFL][ROTFL]

If you are working seriously at dressage, you can build up quite a steamy horse in the winter time. However, I doubt he will need clipping. A good wool cooler will dry him right out.

Happy Birthday DQ!

I haven't heard back from the lady who was going to come see the pony, so I doubt she'll come out. Oh well. If he doesn't sell then I can play with him all winter, I guess!

I am taking my mini donkeys to our first donkey show ever next weekend. [Eek!] Unfortunately, one of them simply *refuses* to work. She is 9 months old and the most opinionated animal I have ever known! My jack is a little bit better. He will usually trot and will go over the obstacles (so long as he thinks it's his idea). But the jennet, Roxy, just DOES NOT WANT TO WORK. She likes to follow me around and get scratched and loved on, but forget it once that halter goes on. When I first started tying her up, she would throw herself on the ground she was so upset about it. I also have to body clip them both (this is serious business at these donkey shows). I am afraid I am going to embarass myself with the worst behaved, ugliest-clip-job donkeys! Hopefully there will be some other naughty donkeys there as well. This will be at the State Fair, and the show is going to be huge! I guess I could have found a smaller show to start out at. We are showing in halter and trail (pre-green). I will have to get some pics of our "training" sessions.

That's it, I officially declare myself as bitter! I could use some help on this one, today I had the sad discovery that my boots no longer fit me. My calf is officially too flipping fat for them [Razz] So now, here comes the bitterness, obviously tall boots are NOT catered to the short stumpy rider, oh no. The short/wide boot in MY size are typically ~16.5" in height and ~13.5" wide. Now for a bit of a human anatomy lesson on Erin's legs. My foot is a size 5.5 to a 6. My ankle is 8" in circumference, approximately one inch larger than my wrist. My calves? They are 14.5" in circumference [bang Head] And the kicker. The height of my legs from heel to the back of my knee? 13.5" Yep you read that right, my calves are bigger around than my lower leg is tall [bang Head] (God must of been laughing when he put my legs together) So does anyone know of any brand that caters to the short fat legs?

Deequeue, you get your Bday well greetings on your bday [big Grin][Wink] I'll see if I can fish up any cool graemlins for that! Inky used to be the same way with ponies. Didn't matter who the pony was, if it was near him they would yell at each other constantly! If one came into the arena, he'd stop dead and try to back up to it.

SG, yes it thrills me! [Razz] Now if we could just take all that energy and shove it towards impulsion and focusing and suspension THEN we'd be talking. But no of course not, that's not horses work! I know better!

Wild Oaks, Good luck! I hope all goes well at your show, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I didnt have time to read 2 pages of stuff. Sorry guys. Maybe tomm.

Got my hair highlighted and my friend put it in the curlers. It looked super cute but the front was a little TOO curly. I think Ill just straighten it for the wedding b/c thats how I feel most comfortable.

Going to bed. Night.

Speaking of herd bound horses, my horse is so co-dependent on any other horse he bonds with, it can actually be dangerous at times. I can not and will not haul another horse in the same trailer with him to a show. He is absolutely impossible if I do.

DQ, my b.day is coming up to. I think we are the same age! [big Grin] Happy birthday.

BQD: Tell your Mom that barrel racing is one of the most expensive sports out there. I know, I did it for years. You get to the point where you have to haul every weekend to stay competitive. That costs, gas, entry fees, stalls, shavings, etc... You know, the list goes on. The entry fees can get quite hefty and if you don't win any money back, well you know the old saying? [Eek!][ROTFL]

My horse has a lot of TB in him and he does not grow a thick winter coat. He does work up a good sweat doing dressage. I have a wool cooler for after I work him and a medium weight blanket, which I use at night out here in the cold, dry climate. In TN, because it was damp and he was in a box stall, I used it when it got below 32 at night and/or in the day. Here it gets windy and it's dry so it feels a lot colder. He needs it at night for sure!

Inky

My legs too are vertically challenged. If you can find an older pair of Marlboroughs they used to tend to be short and wide.

As far as Buster goes. Give it time. Let him work himself up and tire himself out in the paddock where he can see the other horses as long as he can't get out (over, through or under). Throw some hay in front of him. He will learn that all his work and sulking does not change his closest to them.

I worked with horses so closely bonded it took weeks before you could trail ride or work one without him pineing away for his buddy. It will come with time. Just be firm and forcused. But, you know that. Good luck.

quote:

BQD--your mom sounds like a neat lady...love her up as much as you can, ok?

trust me i do [Wink] my mom is my best friend!!!

Happy Birthday DQ [Yay][Yay][Yay]

lol, the only reason i said only dressage is because i posted it on the hunter/jumper board and i didnt want them to think i jumped him or anything, i should of said flatwork [Duh]

hmm.. i dont think i'll clip he, thanks guys!! [big Grin]