Sign in to follow this  
Crazy4Paints

Can a Paint become a good Dressage horse?

Just wondering, i hope that when we move that their will be a place near our new home that i can take lessons in Dressage. Currently there are no trainers of any kind near me at all so i just trail ride and what not. Anyways I have Paints and I was wondering what you guys thought about them doing Dressage.

They themselves will do fine, it just varies between horses like usual. What you will want to watch out for in the show ring are markings that may cause an illusion that the horse is not tracking up, his neck is hollowed out, etc. Some paints have been marked down due to their markings causing illusions. If you do a search on this forum, you should come up with a couple threads on paints in dressage.

Of course! How far you can go with it will depend on your horse's conformation and natural way of going, but as a HUGE paint fan myself I say I would love to see more paints in the dressage arena.

Let us know how it goes... and post photos of your beautiful horses!

[smiley Wavey]

As a beginner dressage horse, Paints are great. They are calm and obedient.

If you can, you'll want to pick one that is a bit racier and doesn't have that dip in front of the withers that causes them to have a low headset. It sounds like yours are bred more for gaming than, say, western pleasure so you should be fine.

Because you'll be doing the low levels though, (and it takes longer than many think to progress) I wouldn't worry about it too much. A horse is a horse.

I'm here!!! [smiley Wavey]

Razzie and I do fabulously. Never had a problem in the show ring due to color. I had heard that Paints have problems due to markings, etc., but so far, the judges seem to love him. I've been showing First Level this year and doing very well. Lots of first and seconds in both large rated shows and small schooling shows. He has a great personality and good movement. I get good collective marks and frequently get comments such as "good potential" or "wonderful horse". I've done clinics with Jan Ebeling, and he too felt Raz and I have good potential.

And I'm definitely NOT the only one riding a Paint at the shows!! You see more and more color these days, so you won't be alone. Put in the hard work and worry about the training first.

Here's Raz and me at one of our shows this summer:

-

-

So you can see he definitely has some color to him!! He also has one blue eye and one brown eye as well.

~Shelly~

[big Grin] I was wondering when the Raz pictures would come! I love him, he's such a good looking horse [big Grin]

This was the paint I used to ride in dressage, totally forgot about her until just now. Don't have any pictures of us actually doing dressage, just coming out of the arena

-

Ooohh, I like that paint, Inky. Looks a lot like Razzie!!

The Art Deco horses are so pretty, but I have not heard good things about their personalities/dispositions. Witnessed some downright CRAZINESS firsthand as well. Not the sort of horses I would ever want to deal with if that sort of thing runs through all them like I have heard. I'll stick with the APHAs. Good solid dispositions to match the colors.

~Shelly~

quote:

Good solid dispositions to match the colors.

~Shelly~[/QB]

Well said smithereens_86! My horse is a registered paint (daddy is one), and his mom is a registered QH. Out of the 98 percentage of my horse's sire producing painted foals, my horse did get the coloring. But he does have lots of chrome!!!Go for it crazy4paints!!!! Send me some pictures of your babies! [big Grin]

I saw a paint doing 3rd level one time. that was pretty cool. But Im not sure if it was a purebred, it looked like it had some TB and maybe some saddle bred or somethig really showy. He was gorgeous with amazing movement.

These are my guys!

This is Dash at about 1 month

-

Dash now at 3 months

-

This is his Momma Lacey in her winter coat. (this is the one i would hope to do dressage on) Oh and by the way she is standing with her butt up on a hill, it really isn't that tall.

-

this is what she looks like in the summer

-

And my gelding Mouse

-

-

[ 10-06-2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Crazy4Paints ]

My trainer rides a paint (1 of her 3 horses- TB/ hanovarian, and the other is an imported warmblood- can' remember his breed) Anyway the paint is currently doing 3rd level very well and starting in 4rd level this coming show season. He isn't much taller that 15 hands.

At lower level dressage, and even some at higher levels, paints can do dressage, and do it well. Same with just about every breed (with a few exceptions, lol). Personally, I'm not a big paint fan myself...i dont know why but for some reason I find the color distracting. This is my opinion! Please don't rat down on me lol. But by no means can a paint not do dressage. A lot are very good at it.

here's an example:

-

quote:

Of course, case in point-Art Deco.

Actually, Art Deco is an Oldenberg, not a Paint. [Wink] My friend owns an Art Deco baby and he is fabulous, not crazy. She events him Prelim, and on a sidenote- he has the best back EVER for bareback- I know because I hate bareback.

Crazy4paints, your foal is stunning and already looks like a natural at dressage.

I say go for it and don't listen to the negative, biased people. I like to surround myself with positive, upbeat people and stay as far away as possible from negative, narrow minded people!

Best of luck with your gorgeous horses!

Accidentally took this out, this is from KrazyTB:

quote:

Now to the OP, the thing you have to look for with paints, and I mean this with paints that have QH blood, is that a lot of the ones that are bred for WP and halter, etc dont have the build for upper level work. Just like many TBs are straight behind, downhill, and generally have weak stifles (just like my mare).

Make sure you look at the horse not for the color but for the form and function. It doesnt matter if the horse is a arab/app/QH/tb/clyde cross. What matters is that the animal is built to do what is asked.

Paints and pintos are such b/c they have the genes for color. Just like there ARE painted TBs that are registered with the JC and race. Dont go into anything basing your opinion on it strictly by the visual appearance. Go by what works, whats been proven works, and will work. (IE - proper conformation (not perfect, but certainly a horse that is poorly conformed will have a harder time performing and staying sound for a dicipline its not designed for). Like asking a TB to pull the Busch wagon!

To answer the original question, I certainly hope so because I'm flying almost 1000 miles to look at a Paint/WB cross...who's solid chestnut, btw.

All this yak about coloring... [Roll Eyes] who cares? A good horse was never a bad color. Or colors. And some of the homeliest, un-pretty horses were the most beautiful in their kindness and nobility.

To quote Forrest Gump (I think [bat Eyelashes] ), pretty is as pretty does.

Just by way of definition a Paint would be a horse of color that is of TB or QH breeding, from what I understand.

Pinto is the color.

Either way, they certainly can do dressage.

I was at a large rated show last summer and was watching an AA 2nd level class, not sure which test. The first horse I watched was a large warmblood, nice, performed all of the movements, but his movement didn't give me goosebumps or anything...

The rider waiting walked by on what looked like a small QH or something (about 15.1 hands)...and I thought ok, hmm. (Mind you I, myself, show a QH in dressage.) ANYWAY, she picks up a trot to go in the ring and holy crap...this little horse picked up a HUGE trot and had gorgeous carriage and a nice frame. She was just great!!!! She got a little hot in the ring, but other then that, her movement put the huge warmblood to shame! I looked her up in the show program and she was a breeding stock paint!! I just loved that horse!!