Sign in to follow this  
Leadchange

Critique for dressage potential

Ok guys, I've finally gotten up the nerve to ask for your opions. Please be as honest as you can. This is my 18 month old friesian x. I took him to a show last saturday and he received a 73 on his sport horse in hand test with an 8 for his trot. I was really surprised and thought the judge may have just been in a generous mood. [Confused] So...what do you think?

-

1663_edited.jpg[/img]

One more.

-

Hes a def cutie. How tall?

Any horse can do dressage. From what I can tell, he has decent angles and should have no problems. As far as how far hed go, I have no clue. Would need video.

How is his movement? Is it more up and down in the trot and canter like hes climbing, or more out and forward?

Where in Fl? And welcome to the boards!

He's standing 15.2 right now. Depends on his mood as to movement. When he is serious he goes lond and low, when he's showing of he steps high and up. I'm in Crestview which is in the Panhandle east of P'Cola.

He is cute...what is he crossed with? Draft crosses go through many gangly growing stages...how often do you long line him in circles? I would keep everything as straight as possible; I am not a fan of growing horses, especially growing, large jointed ones, being put into circles. [big Grin]

He is crossed with percheron. Rarely do I long line him in circles. In this particular pirture I was trying to turn him. We usually long line at a walk around the farm. I'm trying to prep him for the harness in the spring.

He looks nice from the pictures you have up and a 73 is a good score. The pictures are difficult angles though. With the breeding he should be a very impressive horse.

quote:

Originally posted by FionaJ:

He looks nice from the pictures you have up and a 73 is a good score. The pictures are difficult angles though. With the breeding he should be a very impressive horse.

Agreed. It's kind of hard to tell from that trotting picture, but with what you tell us about him and his past score and his bloodlines/ breeding I think he should do quite well in dressage but it's hard to determine from the pictures...and don't worry, as said before any horse can do dressage [big Grin]