Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Board's Chit Chat Thread Vol. 2

Took some time to read some more of the recent posts.

Krazy: Yikes, aren't you glad you told us this? That's what women do. Talk, mull it over, talk some more, agonize, weigh and make a (hopefully) good decision based on how we feel outselves.

Inky: Tough morning. [Huggy]

SG: The other big company job will turn out. It's just a long process that's taking a while. Be patient. It took me months between interview and employment at Verizon. Things will become clear. When God orders thing, they fall into place in a definite proper order. They are not rushed, or compromised. They come when we truly need them and not before. So hang in there and do what you can with what you have until the other door opens.

BooCoo: I haven't read about your new trainer yet. I'll have to go further back.

I have a hard time following this thread when I am busy with work, but I'll catch up eventually.

Sorry I’ve been so scarce. I’ve been hard at work here. Finally got back in the saddle last night. There was NO ONE at the barn, and it was windy as could be. Poor Raz has been in stall jail for almost a week now. He was supposed to get some limited turn out, but with the tail end of Wilma passing through, we have been getting wind and rain, so no turnout. Instead Julie has been hand walking him to death in the indoor. Not his idea of fun I’m sure (or hers). He was full of himself on the crossties. He normally stands very quietly, but last night even BQD’s new trainer would have given me an earful I’m sure!!

Raz had his head in the clouds and every foot a’dancin’ to music only he could hear!! All I could think was WHY did everyone else at the barn have to decide NOT to ride tonight??? Grrr . . . I’m not a big fan of riding all alone. The head stable hand and his family live in the apartment in the hay loft, so there are people there, and they do a night check, but still. I got Mr. Dancey saddled and led him into the ring. As soon as I climbed onto his back, he heaved a giant sigh and settled right down. Go figure. We had a very pleasant light hack per the vet’s orders, though Raz did ask if he could turn the once around the ring canter into a free for all gallop – not that he has much of a gallop to offer, but he likes to think the does! One half halt, and he abandoned his hopes for a free for all gallop and settled into a sweet little canter.

He never ceases to amaze me what a sweet, laid back, good boy he is. Nearly a week of confinement in his stall, and I can ride him in high winds all alone on a long rein walk, trot, canter. What more can I ask for??? Tonight – poor Raz – we are back to regular work. Only a half hour or 45 minutes though. I don’t want to kill him. But on contact, round and through. Tomorrow a full hour with lateral work added back in!!! I’ll give him a bit of a break on Saturday and give him just a light work out as he is going to get a heavy work out on Sunday.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by DawnC:

quote:

Originally posted by deequeue:

As for the wedding princess (I don't recall who, DawnC is it you?) DQ

Not I... but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that gets confused!!!!

I've been married for a while now... got married outside in sandals... and then snacked on fried chicken. Don't think I ever qualified as a wedding princess!

[ROTFL]

It's a term of endearment...I've had 2 in my family so far, one left to go, and she'll probably qualify for that Bridezillas TV show that's on now. God help us all.

Old age ain't fun neither.... [Roll Eyes]

Smithereens - We won't have the mare (Blossom) long enough for her to foal. They will only be at my house for a few weeks. But when she moves, it will just be down the street so I will still see them everyday!

The donkey, Bella, is so close! It was like she bagged up and her belly dropped a little overnight. But that was almost a week ago, and no changes since. [Frown] Actually I hope she can hold off till Friday night (wait, that's tomorrow! [Eek!] ). OK, Saturday night. We havea horseshow Saturday and the mares are coming on Sunday. And I really don't want to be up all night when I have to be at work at 7:00. But...I'll take a healthy baby any time it wants to come! I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it will be an easy birth. I can't believe how nervous I am about it!

Woah some much has happend!!! [Eek!]

we all sure are gabbers!! to basiclly sum it up

(((((HUGS)))) for everyone!!!!! [Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

lol i'll down load the 2 vids of cat chasin when my mom gets home with the camera!! geez! i have to re-read all the post again! lol [smiley Wavey]

Thank you everyone. It means a lot to have you all here to "listen" and offer advice.

The thing about the job is, they told me that i'd be in a "leadership" type of role where I would be training, working with, and setting the example for the company's disabled clients. I thought it would be a job with a purpose and was excited. They also told me the hours would be monday-friday from 7:00-3:30.

I have yet to do anything with the clients. All week I have been standing in one place folding and stamping cardboard boxes so that the clients can package things. My fingers are sliced to pieces and bleed constantly, my back hurts, and I am not making any kind of a difference in anyone's life.

Which by the way, my manager tells me everyday that the clients don't package a lot because they're lazy. They're not lazy. They don't function the same way we are. The company is supposed to teach social, life, and work skills to disabled people, and the ones that are learning work skills are constantly called lazy.

They also won't spend extra money so lights are always off and they refuse to turn the heat on and it hasn't been exactly warm here. I've even been working through breaks and lunch hour.

To top it off, i've been forced into overtime and am expected to work Saturdays now too.

I guess it wouldn't bother me if this is what they said the job would be, but it's not. Had they said that this was what it was, I wouldn't have taken it. [Confused]

I'm sorry guys. I feel bad for venting about this here. I think I just need a break from things. Sorry to drag you all down.

[ 10-27-2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Santas_Girl ]

SG - Is there anyone there you can talk to and tell them that this isn't the job you signed on to do??? Ask them what is up and why the job you are doing is so drastically different from the one that was described to you in the job interview.

~Shelly~

I agree. You also should not be held to a 2 wks notice should you decide to leave b/c they basically told you false things and now have you doing a job that you were not told about.

Hang in there. And dont think you are dragging us down. We are all here to help each other and it is not a problem that you vent!

Do they have an actual Job Description that you can look at? Like one typed out on a piece of paper? The non-profit place I worked at (and I'm assuming you are working for a non-profit type of place) had official job descriptions for every job. That might help.

Smithereens, I was wondering where you were. Glad you were able to get back on Razzle. I know that felt good.

Remmie, new trainer shows Prix St. George and is an "L" judge. She has given me some great things to work on and in just two lessons I see huge improvement in myself and my horse. In fact, today, in spite of a full blown gale, I had a fabulous ride. One of those that about makes you cry it's so incredibly "ON"!!! I have to wonder, am I learning so much more that I can ride my horse forward and on the bit and he is round and soft and lovely to ride? I sure couldn't do these things when I started last January and it was always so incredible to watch my trainer ride him like that. It amazes me that I can ride him like that now. Course I know, I have a whole lot more to learn. The learning never stops, it always just keeps getting better.

SG, I used to work with Developmentally Disabled adults for a state agency. I worked in residential, vocation and group home settings. Those jobs are never what they tell you they are. Why? Because they are so incredibly hard to fill. Sadly, they lie to people, just to get them in there, cause they are usually very short staffed. The paint a picture of an absolutely fabulous job and then you get in there and it is nothing like what they said it would be. That's why, if it were me, I'd go to work for the Pet Store full time and persue the 2nd interview with the Big Co. Do you have a 2nd interview lined up yet? I also would not give this company notice. I would just let them know, your other job offered you full time and you start Monday. No need to even put this one down on your resume. I do wish you the best of luck. Sometime you have to do what is best for YOU!!!! [Angel]

Ok, I'm sure I missed somebody, but moving on to read some more posts now. [big Grin]

Oh dear. I don't know if I can keep up with this [Eek!] I leave for 24 hours and it grew.

My turn to vent. I'm Catholic and I'm taking a women's studies class. Interesting combo, eh? Anyway I actually do enjoy the class and everything, but today was the day we'd talk about health and reproductive rights. Obviously, I knew I was going to disagree with what was being said to a certain extent as I am very pro life. But I was ready for it. I was going to keep an open mind, listen, take notes so I get a better grade on my next exam (I got a C on the first one. Same week as a chemistry and math exams so guess which one I DIDN'T study for? Heh).

So I'm doing all right. Then the teacher says that we're going to watch a 20-minute clip of a video. I think, good, I like watching videos. Then she mentions that it's called "Sex and the Church". Oh dear. Centered on Catholicism. Oh my. But I'll be OK. It might have some misconceptions or something, but it will be OK.

Next followed 20 minutes of Catholic BASHING. It was an extremely biased video that basically said that the church is evil for being against birth control and abortion. The main guy they talked about was some nutty priest in Alabama that is encouraging people to murder abortion providers. If somebody who didn't know better was watching that, they would have thought this man was backed by the Catholic church.

It was so hard to sit there unable to say anything while the rest of the class just ate it up and bought the whole thing. I was hoping that at the end I'd be able to raise my hand and comment, but it was the end of class when the video was over.

The whole thing had me livid. The more I thought about it the more furious I became. I felt how a Muslim would feel if a video about Islam was shown and it only talked about the nuts that go around killing people and said that that is what Islam teaches.

When I got back, I emailed the professor to let her know that I was offended and I would like a chance to speak with her about it. She was very nice about it, to tell the truth I wish she hadn't been. But I am going to go talk to her. I just don't know when or what I should say.

They weren't showing this movie to four year olds. One of the things about school is that you going to see the world-at-large. Be exposed to good things and bad. Things you agree with and things you don't. Each student needs to be evaluating what they see and hear and making up their own mind. That's a part of becoming mature. I would think that most inquiring minds do not take anything at face value.

Why would you be so offended? Should school only show things that YOU like and support and agree with, or only things your neighbor agrees with, or only things that go along with my thinking?

You have your bias and others have their own. You have to retain an open mind and use your value system to determine what's right and wrong for you. No movie is going to convince someone of anything without other influences coming into play.

Just because there is a "teacher" in front of your class does not mean that you follow them blindly. Part of the college experience is to learn NOT to follow blindly, but to explore, experience new things and learn.

I have to agree with Remmie on this one. That is part of what college is all about. To be exposed to all the things that are out there whether you agree with them or not. To see all sides of the issues. You need to be aware of all of the points of view that are out there so that you can decide for yourself exactly what it is that you believe in and what you don't. This is the first time that you are out from under the shadow of your parent's beliefs, and you can finally start forming your own value system. The values you started college with may not be the same values you leave college with. This is your time to explore, and you NEED to do this so that when you get out into the real world and have to start making decisions that will affect the country such as voting for presidents and such, you can make informed decisions that truly reflect what YOU believe in, which may or may not be what your parents encouraged you to believe in. Being aware of all the different points of view and how heated a debate can be will only help to make you aware of just how important your vote truly is. Explore the issues. Be open to what your teachers expose you to. When you are outraged and offended, then you will know what you really believe in, but don't hold it against your teachers. Be satisfied that you know who you are, and give others the opportunity to discover who they are as well.

~Shelly~

Space--I agree with Remmie & Smith, but I want to add that often there isn't alot of critical thinking that goes on when this kind of propaganda-type stuff is shown or discussed. I don't think today's college students get enough schooling on that. It's emotional responses that are elicited and acted upon rather than studied analysis and critical thought processes...

So I would keep the emotions in check and really focus on the message, the delivery, whatever it was that got that response from you and evaluate it from that standpoint. Then you can go talk to the "nice" teacher and be able to sound articulate and detached rather than like an emotional, offended, wild-eyed reactor to what you saw. You could open up some very intellectually stimulating discussion AND make your point at the same time.

It's good practice for what you'll have to deal with later in life.

I know. And believe me, I was planning on sounding articulate. I never blew up, at least not until I got back to my dorm room. I feel a lot calmer now, but I'd still like to speak with her about the video.

The video made it look like the only goal of the church was to make people misearable. It never told the whole story on anything. For example, it would go through how the church is against birth control and why it's so awful that it's against birth control, but never gave a reason why the church is against birth control. It just had this constant undertone that the church is bad.

It's hard to explain. And anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a religious post.

quote:

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff:

I know. And believe me, I was planning on sounding articulate. I never blew up, at least not until I got back to my dorm room. I feel a lot calmer now, but I'd still like to speak with her about the video.

The video made it look like the only goal of the church was to make people misearable. It never told the whole story on anything. For example, it would go through how the church is against birth control and why it's so awful that it's against birth control, but never gave a reason why the church is against birth control. It just had this constant undertone that the church is bad.

It's hard to explain. And anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a religious post.

[Huggy][Huggy] That's how college is, you'll see things you support and you see things that make you incredibly angry and you think everyone else is a flaming idiot for taking it in, but it really is the real world, and how other people view it. You come across it everyday, the videos just jam it all into a little 60-90 minute tape. I've met some people far worse than that in real life, who are just certain they are God's gift to man and can say no wrong. (In fact you come across a lot of those in the horse world!)

SG, don't feel bad for venting on here! That's what I created a chit chat thread for, so we can talk about anything we wanted to, and besides what are friends for if you can't vent to them? [Huggy] Heck I do it all the time on here lol. I would definately consider giving up one of the jobs, most likely the new job, as it's just going to wear you down, taking your health down with you. You may get benefits, but you'll probably end up spending more using the benefits for short and long term health care you may have to see from the new job [Wink] Like others said, I'd see if you can talk to your supervisor about it, see if anything changes, and if not, give up the job. Hopefully the second interview with the company will pay off.

smithereens! Long time no see, and again an award for keeping up with everyone somehow someway [Crazy] Glad to hear you're back in the saddle with Raz. I'm the opposite, I can't stand riding with other people in the arena [Razz]

Boocoo congratulations on the new trainer and the awesome ride [big Grin] Doesn't it just feel fabulous when you just KNOW and FEEL that you're getting it and your horse is as well?

Now why in the world, of ALL things to possibly lose in the mail, does UPS have to lose the item worth 200.00+? I ordered Tadd a new iPod for his Christmas present, and it was supposed to be here on October TENTH. Well it's the 28th now, and no show. So I got a call from UPS apologizing for the inconvience and an email from the store I bought the iPod from saying that UPS confirmed that they lost the iPod and will search their warehouse for it, if they can't find it, he'll have to file a claims report, and who knows from there on. At least I started my Christmas shopping early right? This happened last year too with the $400.00+ Christmas/B-day present for Tadd. [bang Head] Why can't they ever lose the items that are less than 50 dollars in value? Oh and they lost the $4,800 student loan check that I had to send back to my parents in the mail as well!

Spaceman: It's a shame that that's the video your teacher choose. I took a similar class years ago when I was in college, and the video my teacher choose was excellent. Very informative without being so biased, and then the teacher engaged us in a very active dialog about the pro's and con's so everyone got to get their viewpoints out on the table in a productive manner and no one left feeling the way you feel right now.

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

I've met some people far worse than that in real life, who are just certain they are God's gift to man and can say no wrong.

You just described half the people I work with!! [big Grin] The legal community is so . . . full of itself (to put it politely).

~Shelly~

[ 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

quote:

Why can't they ever lose the items that are less than 50 dollars in value?

[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!][Eek!] I can't believe your luck!!! Does UPS have a note posted at the central office "Please lose all mail directed to/from Inky worth more than $50"??? That is unreal. Hope they find the iPod in a timely fashion. I think I would be requesting that the store send me a new one and deal with UPS on their own. Course the likelihood of that happening is next to none.

~Shelly~

They must smithereens, that's the only explanation I can think of [Razz] At least I paid for insurance on this item, so I won't have to pay up anything extra and the store won't lose money on it as well [Roll Eyes] I've had the worst luck with mailing ever since I moved to Pullman, don't know if it's just their systems around here or me!

I just got a really weird telemarketer call too... I answered the phone and got a machine voice that said "I'm sorry" then hung up [Confused]

quote:

They must smithereens, that's the only explanation I can think of
[Razz]
At least I paid for insurance on this item, so I won't have to pay up anything extra and the store won't lose money on it as well
[Roll Eyes]
I've had the worst luck with mailing ever since I moved to Pullman, don't know if it's just their systems around here or me!

I just got a really weird telemarketer call too... I answered the phone and got a machine voice that said "I'm sorry" then hung up
[Confused]

Inky--sounds like the bureaucratic and telemarketing gremlins have moved in to your world...kinda like the nail fungus commercial on TV... [ROTFL] (in case you don't know what the heck I'm referring to, it's a commercial about fungus characters that are living the high life under some poor slob's toenails causing all kinds of *gasp* ugly yellow discoloration...)

Not to make light of your situation, but you've had more than your share of mail problems, IMO. Wish I had something helpful to offer...all I can do is find the humor in it, which is pretty much what I do anyway. [big Grin]

Well it's FRIDAY *sings it out of tune*...and in my world it's 10:31 a.m. I've got to run out of the office to do some work errands for our big staff recognition breakfast we're putting on next Weds so I'll be away from the computer for a while, but my cell phone is firmly strapped to my person and may God help this vet if he doesn't show today.. [Mad]

[Jump]

lol!!! Despite how little I watch TV, I know what commercial you're talking about DQ, that must be the explanation [big Grin] Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that the vet shows up and the new guy passes the test!

Inky: I sure can sympathize with your UPS problems. My husband uses a payroll company to do the payroll for his business and ever since they switched to UPS (from FedEx) for the payroll delivery, the men come back on Friday night and he has to say "sorry, the checks aren't here yet."

Of course, they say as we all would. "No Problem" we don't need the money. We work for fun." ...................NOT!!!

We have to become a loan company, every Friday for the last six weeks. My hubby is so angry, he has cancelled the payroll company and will have our bookkeeper do the payroll from here on.

Update on the TWH: Remmie is still going back and forth on that one. Seems kinda selfish to get another horse that only I can work around and ride. Ummm, seems like a lot more work too. He sure is a cutie though and followed me around like a puppy in no time at all. He's a wonderful dappled bay. Just beautiful color.

I was able to catch him within about five minutes but there was a lot of aggressive posturing on his part at first, which worried me (re: hubby) and he did think about kicking the jack russell who wasn't really bothering him.

Then he turned into a ***** cat and laid his head into my chest and let me clean the goop from around his eye, brush him all over and pick up his feet. He is a Jeckyl and Hyde. He will be a "lassie" for whomever he really bonds with and perhaps a tyrant to others. The eye had been out of his head, but was put back in and looks pretty bad but the vet says it will be fully functional and look good as new eventually.

Good luck, DQ!! Keep us posted!!

Remmie, I can't believe UPS was losing payroll checks on a regular basis. That is outrageous. Glad to hear you have dropped the payroll company. I can't believe they didn't just switch back to FedEx ASAP.

As for the TWH - sounds like he made your decision even harder by snuggling up to you. ****!!! I was rather hoping he would pin his ears and turn his tail to make your decision easy. He sure isn't going to be an easy project, and it really would be A LOT nicer to have a horse you could share with friends and family rather than another one woman horse. His propensity to be on the defensive also sounds like it could be a major liability that you will have to consider. You don't want to have a horse that is going to be a danger to anyone. No matter how gentled down towards you that you manage to get him, he may always have that "fight" reaction towards others which could lead to real issues if you need to go away on vacation and have a stranger come in to feed for example. Or even let's just say a trespasser crosses through your pasture one day and tries to pat him and gets hurt. Believe it or not, even if you have GIANT "No Trespassing" signs posted, the trespasser can still sue you for major $$$$$ and win. Make sure you consider all the angles on this boy before taking him on. He could end up being much more of a problem than he is worth. Good luck with your decision, Remmie. I don't envy you. It is definitely a tough one to make.

~Shelly~