Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Board's Chit Chat Thread Vol. 2

Aww Bis - hang in there! Hmmm - sounds like the chiro may be what you need. And I hope they are cheaper than the vet! There has GOT to be a saddle out there that will fit him. He is not the only high-withered horse in America. It sounds like maybe the saddle fitter was trying to push that saddle.

SG - It sounds like the interview went well! The waiting is the worst part though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Id def get a chiro out and DONT go custom. There are saddle fitters that arent associated with companies, and those who are. Those who are will push a custom made saddle to make money.

I mean seriously! Does he think Gats is never going to muscle up and change? Oh of course he does. That means getting the saddle changed each time to fit him. $$$$

When you are looking at saddles to fit him, remember that since he is lacking in topline muscle, if you get a saddle thats CLOSE, you can put a fleece or sheepskin 1/2pad under it until he gains the muscle so he doesnt need it.

PERSONALLY, esp with my high withered TB, I ALWAYSSSSSSS use a 1/2 pad under my saddle. To protect her back in case I oops and hit the saddle too hard and just to keep her comfortable.

Did you do the wither tracing? Make sure you do it correctly and transfer it to a piece of card board. Then cut it out and take it to a tack store. You can also trace it onto a piece of paper and send it to some stores that sell used saddles. Just make sure to measure the space between the left and right sides and mark the # b/c the image sometimes gets distorted from the fax machine.

Gats sounds just like Layla when I got her. A medium narrow plate in my Wintec AP fit her great until she started muscling up. Then I needed a Pessoa Event saddle. That lasted for 1 1/2 years. Now she fits my Bates Event and Max Benz perfectly (and I do use a fleece 1/2 pad and shes SO much happier with it).

Also, older Crosbys, like I mentioned, run narrower. If its still a touch big, stick a pad under it. You cannot expect to get a custom fit unless its a custom saddle. And getting a custom saddle on a horse that will be constantly changing for the next 2 years just isnt thesible.

Okay ya'll well hey! I was going to attempt to read all 14 pages, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to keep up with the names anyways, so yep.

I'm just coming into the chat now, I hope I can keep up with everything!!

I own a 4 year old QH named Pudge who I just started English with and want to move into 3-day-eventing hopefully. Dressage is amazing!

I probably won't post much, but I lurking, so don't worry 'bout me!

In Pa(from what i've herd) you have to be a vet inorder to be a equine chiropractor, there are some message therapist but on a few select chiropractors. Well see I tried my trainers Karl Neidersuss and her courbette luxor and he said no they didnt fit.

ok so my trainer also got her saddle fitted and she was looking for a saddle for her 3 yeqar old. So he tired on one of his saddles and told her this is what she need, then he looked at her Karl Neidersuss on him and he said no that didnt fit and then he looked at the courbette luxor on him and he said it fit beautifully and she should keep that one(that was hers in the first place). I really dont think hes trying to push his saddle. I didnt get that impression from [Confused]

What i really liked anout him was that he was a trainr and previous event rider(now he only is dressage) and he said him hes had many many OTTBs.

The reason for the custom saddle is that Gatsby has very high wither but a "deep back and a very wide shoulders. He needs the narrow into order to keep the saddle off of his withers but the shoulders guessets need to be wide so they do not pinch him. And the guessets in the back need to large so the saddle dosent get pressure points in his back(so it doesnt sit on his spine). He showed me a lot of stuff and he was very knowledgeable. He said the saddle would fit this horse the rest of his life and would give him so much more freedom in his shoulder. I dunno, the vet/chiro is going to look at him then we'll just go from there [Frown]

Okay, Shantel, I have another exercise for you to help with the gripping legs at the canter. This is what Julie did to me to make me stop. First at the halt, stay sitting up straight, now without compromising your upper body position, bend both legs at the knee and take them up away from the saddle - lifting out rather than forward or back (you can hang onto the pommel of the saddle with one hand to keep your balance), then straighten both legs out, stretch them out and down back to the saddle. Repeat several times. Lift, out and down. Keep your toes pointing straight ahead. Don't tip your upper body forward or back. Don't lift your seat out of the saddle. This will help you find your balance on your seatbones. Now do it at the walk.

This is going to HURT UNBELIEVABLY the first time you try it. Do it EVERY TIME your ride when you first get on and are just starting out walking around. Just 4 or 5 times, not a million. It will get easier and easier each time, and will increase your flexibility, make your seat and legs more independent, and relax your grip with your legs. Once you have been practicing this exercise for a couple of months and can do it fairly well, cross your stirrups up over in front of your saddle, pick up a sitting trot, repeat at the trot. Now do it without holding onto the saddle!!!

Now try your canter!!! You won't believe the difference it makes in your seat and legs. I promise you. I was floored. I have been working on this exercise religiously for three, maybe four months tops, and I can see an unbelieable improvement. Julie had me work on scissors (straight legs, one leg forward, one leg back) for about 6-8 months during my walk warm up before she switched me over to the leg lift warm up. She is trying to increase the mobility and independence of my legs and seat.

~Shelly~

Inky - Fingers crossed the saddle sells!!

SG - Congrats, sounds like the intervew went very well. Keep us posted.

BQD - I agree with Shantel, go with a saddle that is a little on the wide side and use a fleece 1/2 pad with it. I love those things. They make up for a lot of the "flaws" between the horse's back and the saddle. I used one (along with a couple of saddle pads) with Raz when I first got him and my saddle was too wide for him. Now that he has finally filled out and developed a top line, I don't need it, but saved me from having to buy a whole new saddle for him for the first year I owned him.

Pudge - Welcome aboard!!

~Shelly~

Good morning everyone.

I believe we need to take the riding experiences, tips, advice and maybe the saddle fitting stuff out of this thread.

We need to be careful that because we are chit-chatting here every day that we don't eliminate the rest of the board. People who aren't interested in our chit-chat are missing out.

Thanks Rem, good point there. Do you guys want to start separate threads for the current dressage-related issues, or just wait for the next set, or what? [smiley Wavey]

Pudge, welcome to the thread [big Grin] Don't worry about trying to keep up with 14 pages, I can't most of the time [Razz]

SG, sorry about the confusion! I've lived here long enough that I don't even think about the fact that there's a Moscow, Russia. I just think Moscow, ID. (They're pronounced differently too) They had a big advertisement up at the coliseum advertising the "Moscow Family Circus" and I was thinking, why would you have them in the Beasley Collisium when they're just 7 miles away? Then Tadd pointed out that it was RUSSIA'S Moscow [Duh]

Bis, I sent you a PM about the chiro's. Do you still have that link I sent you with the directory of lisences chiro's in the states? Inky also had a misplaced vertebra, but his was corrected by shoeing, and he's fine now. Hope it'll go just as well with Gatsby!

SG, that interview sounds promising! They certainly wouldn't send you to that many different people if they weren't interested in you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the job [Angel] (And that it'll be what you expected it to be for the most part, unlike this other job!)

Shantel, glad you had a great ride on Layla!

For those of you who care (and you know who you are), I wore my red house slippers today, but I did change into my nice white sneakers to walk the dogs over to the groomers.

I then changed into my barn sneakers to do stalls and then into my black slippers to work. That is where I am right now, however I will change again soon in order to bring Tristan in and work him. Should I use the black or the white saddle pad? (I just wanted to keep this dressage related.)

Now everyone post and tell me you are glad I wore the red slippers first.

Now folks, do you want read my diary every day? Is it germaine? Will these things help my/your dressage work? Will they help the quality of my/your life? Chit Chat is one thing, but maybe we need to skip the totally trivial things.

quote:

Originally posted by Remmie:

For those of you who care (and you know who you are), I wore my red house slippers today, .

Oh Remmie... Red is such and ANGRY color. You should think about starting your day off with Blue, or maybe Green slippers.

I do agree that black slippers are appropriate for work though.

[ 11-03-2005, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: DawnC ]

BisQuickDoc-

I know your saddle fitter. I've dealt with him before, as have 2 horsey friends. He isn't going to tell you about anything that fits except County Saddles. My friend's horse had the same issue (he'll never fit into anything but a county) and his Stubben fits him perfectly...absolutely perfectly. He told me my crosby was a POS (in those words, actually) and charged me 25 bucks to LOOK at my horses back, and declare my saddle useless. He never returned my calls after i revealed my less-than-big budget.

I'd look into wool-flocked saddles that can be reflocked to fit Gatsby's back and try and play around with some half pads. I've talked to this fitter on various occasions, he actually helped me when I was looking for my horse, and talked mine and my friends ear off when we made the mistake of passing the County Saddles booth at Equine affaire. He is very good at what he does, and very thorough, but he is also very interested in selling you a county. If you can get ahold of a Circuit saddle, you might find some luck with that. I'm currently riding in the wide tree dressage saddle, it gives my horse tons of freedom through his shoulder with plenty of wither clearance, it also puts me in a good position. I like it a lot.

I'm having an identical issue with my boy right now. His back is WIERD. I think I'm going to have heather soones (Albion Saddles) come out and fit him, as I've heard some good things about her, and albions are a dime a dozen on ebay.

Good Luck.

I know there is a massage therapist based out in ligonier, check out equinechic.com, if thats something you want to look into.

IMHO, no one forces anyone else to read the things posted here. If one doesnt care to read about the trivial things in our lives, then dont. But a lot of us enjoy sharing the little things and talking like true friends would. I know myself that I am not lucky enough to have friends who are into horses and dressage like I am. So I come here to not only discuss horses and dressage, but to have a relationship with those who can relate and I get along with. I dont think that sharing our daily-going-ons is hurting anyone or anything.

Anyways, just my 2ยข.

And onto more trivial things, I just got back from my interview/testing session at Randstad, a temp agency. I am either "Excellent" or "Outstanding" in all of the tests, except for Excell. Which Im fine with b/c Ive only used Excell 3 times before and that was for a Biology or Chem project. I type 78 WPM as well. They want to get me on at a company called TNT. I would be an Admin. Assistant. Making $12/hr. SWEET. Oh, and I also mentioned I had a horse and I rode dressage. [Wink] To keep it horse related. Though I thought the point of this post was b/c it didnt have to be horse related..? Im confused! [Frown]

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

Thank you crazyjumper!!!
[Huggy]

Gosh my head is buzzing! hmm.. maybe i just got the wrong impression on this guy!

Well, thats the mark of a true salesman. You dont even see it coming and the next second youre writing a check for $3000! LOL Of course if he was rude and snide and SEEMED like he was trying to get you to buy one of his saddles, you wouldnt, would you? But if he seemed nice and friendly and not sneaky, youd be more inclind to part ways with your money. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by BisQuickDoc:

Thank you crazyjumper!!!
[Huggy]

Gosh my head is buzzing! hmm.. maybe i just got the wrong impression on this guy!

No problem BisQuick...

hopefully BOTH of us will get this saddle issue figured out...for under 3500 bucks [Wink]

But he is an excellent salesman...I'll give him that.