Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 3

Okay, locking the other one, and starting a new thread, hopefully for better clarification and to avoid further confusion. [Wink]

Anything non dressage related can go here, as I'm trying to keep the rest of the dressage board, dressage related.

This means if you are talking about a great dressage ride, different dressage techniques, equitation, dressage saddles, etc. please post a new thread on the dressage forum itself to keep it lively [Wink] This thread will be specifically for other disciplines of horseback riding, perhaps throw in some h/j, wp, trail riding etc. stories, horse health if need be, personal account, and whatever else you feel like posting. Please keep some common sense about when posting comments as to not blatantly offend another, and please keep the HC Golden Rules in mind.

That being said if you have a thread deleted, and it wasn't because it was getting out of hand, check here first or check to see if it was moved to a more appropriate forum, I'll always PM to let you know what happened to the thread unless it got lost beyond my knowledge or the Admin deleted it. [Wink] HTTY and enjoy!

I'm leaving for the WWU show tomorrow. It's almost in Canada [Eek!] I'm nervous and I have a lot of chores to do today to get ready!

BQD that's great news about Gatsby, sorry didn't PM you back on that math problem, I'll admit it stumped me [Razz]

Bonnie, let me know if you guys are ever out on the east side of WA for IHSA. I don't think WSU holds their IHSA shows here anymore, but EW may still do. I might be able to come out and visit!

I just got back from my interview/testing session at Randstad, a temp agency. I am either "Excellent" or "Outstanding" in all of the tests, except for Excell (I was "100% Basic"). Which Im fine with b/c Ive only used Excell 3 times before and that was for a Biology or Chem project. I type 78 WPM as well. They want to get me on at a company called TNT. I would be an Admin. Assistant. Making $12/hr. SWEET. I hope it all works out.

I am sore as all heck too. After working hard at the gym and working hard at riding and then Im going to the gym again tonight and tomorrow morning, I better be getting in better shape and fitting into my clothes! [surrender] We'll see I guess.

Inky--thanks [Not Worthy]

BQD--great news on the Gats-man. [Jump] What a relief...

SS--good luck to you...what's WWU? forgive my stupidity...

Krazy--good job!! Hope TNT (do they make dynamite or something?) is as perfect as it can be. I'll send you some of my leftover ibuprofen drip, sounds like you need it! [Jump]

quote:

Originally posted by deequeue:

[QB]

SS--good luck to you...what's WWU? forgive my stupidity...

QB]

Being in the same intercollegiate region as her, I'll answer real quick, WWU is Western Washington University [Wink] When I mentioned WSU and EW I was referring to WA State (where I attend) and EW is Eastern Washington Univ.

Woohoo!! The people are stopping by on Saturday to pick up the saddle. They're going to take it for three days to see if it fits her and her horse [big Grin] Crossing my fingers it sells [Razz]

-

That dang thing has been sitting in the corner of the house gathering dust for ages now [Roll Eyes] I'm trying to find the before pic I had of it when I forgot it in our extremely dusty tack room!

[ 11-03-2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Tomorrow at 1:00 we have an appointment with the equine opthomologist. During a routine lameness exam on Tuesday the vet made an unpleasant discovery. We were talking about perhaps injecting Fessor's hocks, the pros and cons, and taking a few x-rays to confirm that the discomfort was a lower hock issue. Until we looked at the eye. Fessor's right eye had been swollen since the weekend, we *thought* from allergies. No. Fess has equine recurring uveitis, sometimes also knows as moon blindness. He seems to be blind in the right eye, and shows signs of some damage to the left. The "allergies" were a flareup of the disease.

I will have a better idea tomorrow of how much sight Fessor has left. He has some sight still in the left eye, and the first concern will be doing what we can to preserve his remaining vision.

Tuesday was a very difficult day. I spent much of my day trying not to cry, and allowed myself a good cry in the evening. I needed to get past the why my horse, he's so sweet, he's too young sort of reaction. Now I'm focused on Fessor. He does not ACT like a special needs horse. So I'll figure out how to adapt my riding and start teaching him some verbal cues in case he loses sight completely. Now I'm in a wait and see mode. We'll just play things by ear and find out what Fess is comfortable with.

Tracy

[Huggy][Huggy][Frown] I'm so sorry Tracy. We recently had a thread here about blind horses and how they fared in dressage, I'll see if I can pull that up for you. Many [Angel][Angel][Angel] that you will be able to preserve his remaining vision and get his lameness figured out.

KrazyTBMare I hope that job works out! It sounds fantastic!

Grr. Inky, I wish you were doing IHSA. If I were rich I would SEND you the money you need to do it. But I can barely afford it myself [Crazy] Oh, and I would buy that lurvely saddle of yours, too.

I have to get ready for team practice soon. I wonder who I'll be riding. All the horses that we ride are lesson horses that are ready to die [Eek!] I'm really missing my hyper hyper QH at home. Sheesh I finally figure out how to handle a schizo horse, now I have to figure out the dead ones.

Tracy, sorry to hear about Fessor. But, blindness isn't a retirement sentence. There are a lot of successful partially blind or fully blind horses out there. Of course there would be adapting to do on both you and Fessor's part, but I bet you two will enjoy each other just as much as you did before the eye issues. [Huggy]

Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Thanks for making a new thread Inky, the other one was giving me a headache lol.

So sorry about Fesser Tracy, Ill send some good thoughts your way.

Lovely saddle Inky! What make is it?

Hows Beau, Boo? Been showing any?

Great news about Gatsby, BQD! So pleased! Owners of chestnut ex-racehorses must stick together! Bwuahahahaha!

Whats up with everyone else? Gizmo may (I say may, depends on whether we can get transport) be making his dressage debut on the 12th! Wah! Scary! He'll be doing a first level test, so if you have any good vibes, please spare us some! Ill try and get some piccys for you... hmmm, I had better brush up on my bribary skills [Wink] Oops, did I say that out loud?! Or maybe thats type... blah!

Hope everyone is surviving the deep breath before winter! Brrrrr *shivers*, wrap up warm!

Oh, and let me be the first to wish you A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

*Deck the halls with balls of Holly, fa la la la la, la la la LA!*

Question for everyone:

What do you think would be the repercussions of honesty with my current job. I mean what if I tell them it's not what I thought it would be and while i'm not just up and quitting I am looking for other employment? Then maybe I wouldn't have to call in sick so I could go to interviews.

SG, it depends on what industry you are in. If it is finance/banking do not tell them. Most banking and finance companies have a policy that requires letting go people who are looking for other jobs.

However, during my last job search I gave my boss a heads up. I was careful to keep working well during that time. But I was in a fairly close knit industry. If *I* didn't tell her I was looking, it was likely she would have heard something when I started interviewing.

If you have an understanding boss, it's worth considering. If your boss is going to look for reasons to let you go, then use sick/vacation time if you need to.

Sorry, that's not much help. You'll have to play things by ear...

Tracy

Well, I work for a place that has a hard time getting and keeping employees. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. I just don't want to lead them on, having them think I plan on being there for several months or years when in reality as soon as I find new employment I'm leaving. [Confused] I don't want to loose my job, but then it'd be nice if they knew I was looking so I could leave early for interviews etc. Calling in sick all the time wouldn't look so good. And I can't lose this job as much as I hate it because financially I need income coming in.

I can't figure my boss. She acts nice but at the same time is rather frightening.

Smarten up Girl! No. No. No. Absolutely do not tell them!!! They'll just tell you not to show up tomorrow.

You have to learn that the boss is not your friend. The company is not your friend. You do your best and you give a full day's work for a full day's pay. You haven't been there long enough for them to give you any consideration at all. They are not going to talk to you about it. They do not care about you. Do not worry about them. As far as notice goes. One week is fully sufficient in that type of job and they might not even let you work that out.

In that workplace, you are a number, not a person. Not a family member. Fact of life. You fill a purpose and that's all. You are giving them far more consideration than they would ever give you.]

Get them off your conscience. They are a business.

Interviews can be done before or after work hours. It's done all the time.

[ 11-04-2005, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Remmie ]

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!

BQD - Great news about Gatsby!! Glad to hear nothing showed up on the x-rays.

Inky - Congrats on the saddle sale, hope it becomes a final sale.

Tracy - So sorry to hear about Fessor. Many horses learn to make the adjustment. I'm sure Fessor will be no different. Hang in there.

Spaceman - Good luck at the show! Remember, with the dead ones, DON'T nag with your leg. Squeeze once, squeeze twice, then take your leg off their side and give 'em one good solid BUMP (with your calf not your heel). If they are still blowing you off, go straight to the whip and MEAN IT. One good solid tap to wake them up and get them listening. If you do this the first time, then the next time, they will listen to the first squeeze. Just make sure you keep them jazzed up. As soon as you feel them start to die down, repeat - squeeze, squeeze, bump, whip. If you nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag every stride, you will NEVER get the horse moving. When I rode the dead school horses, they were never dead for me. They knew me well enough that as soon as I got on, they moved right off from my first squeeze without any hesitation. The rest of the students could never figure out how I did it.

Shantel - The job sounds great. Definitely pursue that one!! Too bad we don't live closer - I'm an Excel whiz. I'd give you a crash course in an hour or less that would have you breezing through the program like an old pro.

SG - DO NOT tell them you are looking!!! You have been with the company for so little time, I wouldn't even give them more than a week's notice if that when you do find a job. You do not owe this company anything. I wouldn't even give them a spot on your resume. As Remmie said, interviews can usually be scheduled for odd times before or after work.

Fear - Good luck with Gizmo's dressage debut. Hope you manage to get the transport set up. Definitely get those pics if you go!! And go easy on those X-mas bells - I am NOT ready for those yet!!!

Razzie's new AP saddle arrived yesterday. It is really nice. Fingers crossed it fits it. Looks like it will. He is pretty easy to fit. Low withers, no odd shapes in his back. Just have to get the right tree size which I think I did, and we are good to go. I'll take it out tonight and try it on him.

~Shelly~

SG, def dont tell them. Do what you have to do but dont tell them.

Space, GL at the show!

Fear, hope you get a ride to the show. We'll expect pics if you do.

smith, I hope the new saddle fits. Are you planning on doing some jumping with this new AP?

I just got back.. guess where.. the chiro. Basically all of my thoratic spine (the mid back) was out. LOL Im assuming from riding but could also be coupled with working out.

The temp agency called me again this morning. They had a direct hire job paying $12/hr for admin assist. but its at the beach. Ok Ok. So Ill admit. I live about 15-20 mins from the beach. BUT the TRAFFIC! The traffic, dear God. Its comparable to Orlando.. no TAMPA. NO NO! ATLANTA. Its so bad. Absolute STAND STILL from 3:30pm until after 6:30. Yes, $12/hr is GREAT, but with my big truck and ability, or lack there of, to deal with the stress of traffic, I think Ill pass. Still holding out for the first job they mentioned which is much closer.

Im so tired. Couldnt get to sleep last night and then couldnt get up this morning. [Roll Eyes] Just sleepy.. so sleepy...

[ 11-04-2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: KrazyTBMare ]

Good luck SG! I wouldn't tell them, unless you have a nice boss, which it doesn't sound like you do. Most of the time you can schedule and interview for before or after work, or on a day off.

Well I'm off to the show. I'll take lots of pics. Thanks for the advice (I think it was smithereens?) although... heh I'll be riding western so the likelyhood of them giving me a whip is slim. We can't even have spurs, which I think is unfortunate. Sometimes, you need them.

SG, what happened to the Pet Store? I would quit this other job and stay with the Pet Store till I found something else. I agree with the others, don't tell them you are looking for a job. Schedule interviews around it.

Fear Them All, my horse is great. Thanks. Showing him on the 13th. Thinking about moving to another barn, AGAIN!! I just can not get people to feed him. He is a big horse, 16.2 and 1200 #'s and they feed him like his 14.2 hand neighbor. I am tired of his ribs and top line being bony and I tell them every day to feed him more, to the point of I am going over and breaking open bales of hay and feeding him. Found another place yesterday and will probably move him the end of the month. This lady had horses as big if not bigger than him and they all looked good. She also has a good repuation! Sigh! My horse is beginning to feel like a vagabond!! [Razz] He is riding well and lessons are going great! Good luck to you with your upcoming show. Definitely need pics!

Ooooohhhhhh Tracy...I'm so sorry about Fessor. [Huggy] But as others have said it's often not as bad as it sounds. I'll keep him and you in my prayers.

SG--Unless you want to be cut loose from that job, I wouldn't say a word. Just call in sick or do whatever you have to to go on your interviews, and eventually you'll be out of there. But don't tell them what you're doing, unless they ask then you'll have to be honest...they may get a clue & ask. But probably not.

Shantel - Yes, I am planning on doing some low level (2'and under) jumping with Raz. Just a little cross training so he doesn't fry on the dressage work. Or maybe I will have Gabrielle work with him on the jumping so I can concentrate on my dressage, but he still gets his variety. Also, I wanted the AP saddle for Jack's boys to take lessons in. My dressage saddle is just a tad too long in the flap for them. I think they will feel more at home in this saddle. There is nothing more frustrating than kicking, kicking, kicking and hitting nothing but saddle because it is too big for you. The AP saddle has the same deep seat as the dressage saddle, but a much shorter more forward flap to accomodate their shorter more bent beginner's legs. It is a more dressage based AP saddle so it shouldn't push them too far forward in their seat which is good, and if we see that starting to happen, we can always alternate between the AP and dressage saddles.

Shantel - Hold out for the other job - traffic is the worst!!! I hear you on being tired. We all went to bed VERY early for a change only to be woken up by the telephone at 2am. The alarm company. The fire company had to break the door down at the store because of smoke. Jack rushed out of the house and to the store only to arrive and find NO ONE there. No fire trucks. No police. ???? He called the alarm company back. So sorry. Not YOUR store. Your COUSIN'S store. Apparently his cousin wasn't waking up to his phone, and Jack is the 2nd alert number at the alarm company, so they called him, but failed to tell him WHICH store the alarm was for. GHEESH!!! He was home by 2:45. The boiler had been smoking, so the fire department shut it down and red tagged it. Apparently they have this really cool device that if you have the "right type" of dead bolt it can open the dead bolt then relock it; however, it breaks the deadbolt in the process, so Jack's cousin will need a locksmith to break into the store today and replace the lock, but no other damage was done to the store thankfully. So much for going to bed early!! [Roll Eyes]

Spaceman - Can you have a whip in warm up?? That's what I do when I can't have a whip in the show ring. Carry one in warm up. Get the horse good and responsive, then carry the whip right up to the show ring gate and drop it just before entering the arena. Half the time the horse doesn't even realize you have dropped the whip. Good luck!! Have fun!!

Boocoo - Sorry to hear you are having feeding difficulties at the new place. I hate when barns get stingy with the hay. [Mad] Hope you are able to move your boy to a place that will feed him what he needs.

~Shelly~