Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 3

Stiff and sore. [surrender]

I spent Saturday morning digging flower beds and planting all the flower bulbs. I had NO IDEA how rocky our yard was. [Frown] Then I had a KILLER lesson with Julie. Everything hurts.

I'm getting too old for this. [surrender]

~Shelly~

I've spent the last three days with someone a LOT like me. We both have horses who show WONDERFUL potential in Dressage, and yet we never make the switch-- we keep jumping them even though neither party-- the horse or the rider-- really enjoys it.

Somehow the thought of NEVER jumping again terrifies me-- evne though I don't even like it that much.

I'm sick! [Frown] Again. But this time with the stomach flu. I spent ALL DAY yesterday in bed (and I had been planning on spending the day with the horses - I was even looking forward tro scrubing water buckets and cleaning stalls!). But I am a lot better today, just horribly stiff and sore from spending 36 hours IN BED. And I'm pretty bored, but too weak to really do anything. OK, enough complaining now!

STILL no baby donkey. She finally has some liquid coming out, but it is just clear. No milk yet. Although I haven't checked in a day, maybe that will have changed.

Smithereens - I hope your garden is all beautiful now! I wish I could get motivated enough to have a garden.

Krazy - Ditto to having the mom help out. My mom has bailed me out more than once. In fact, we were at a horse show the other day (a teeny, tine schooling show) and my mom was in the tack store telling the saleslady that the only difference between my shows now and my shows when I was younger is that I actually pay for them now. I walked up just in time to hear her say that, and I then proceeded to ask for $2 because I was short $2 for my entries! My mom and the saleslady were laughing so hard. It was only a couple of bucks, but she's STILL bailing me out! [ROTFL]

quote:

Originally posted by MagillaCutty:

I've spent the last three days with someone a LOT like me. We both have horses who show WONDERFUL potential in Dressage, and yet we never make the switch-- we keep jumping them even though neither party-- the horse or the rider--
really
enjoys it.

Somehow the thought of NEVER jumping again terrifies me-- evne though I don't even like it that much.

Just because you do dressage doesn't mean you can't ever jump again! Maybe you could just jump once a week or so? Maybe then your horse would be fresher and you would too when it comes to jumping.

Magilla - You can absolutely do both. I just got a new AP saddle so that I can start Raz on some jumping. Just a little here and there so that he has something new and fresh to give him something different to do once in a while so he doesn't burn out on the dressage. Cross training is a good thing. You don't have to give up the jumping to do dressage.

Wild Oaks - Sorry to hear you were sick again this weekend. Stomach flu is the worst!! Glad to hear you are finally on the mend. I don't actually have the energy or ambition for a garden. Just the flowers. I figure if I plant enough perennials, it is a one time thing, and all I have to do is get the silly flower beds dense enough with flowers that I will never have to plant flowers again, and they will never have to be weeded. [big Grin] That's the goal anyway!! I'll have a few more to plant in the spring then hopefully NEVER again. The kids will do the annuals along the walkway and in the flower pots.

~Shelly~

*sigh*

It's strikingly obvious that my horse actually dislikes jumping. He rushes, balks, shakes his head, is generally a beast when I do jump him. If I were to switch disiplines, I wouldn't make him jump once a week so I could entertain myself....

I don't know, I guess I just feel like I'm giving up by switching to Dressage.

Perhaps he is burned out on jumping. If you concentrated on something else and only did the jumping here and there, he may enjoy it more. Just a thought. Have you checked other things such as saddle fit, back pain, etc. to make sure it isn't some sort of physical discomfort that is causing your horse to dislike the jumping???

~Shelly~

I jump very rarely even now. He's just got a lot of demons.

I have-- his saddle doesn't fit him perfectly, but no lasting or severe back pain.

Well we made it through the weekend with one very cranky SO [surrender] Shantel, this is the second year since his father's death. Poor guy had over 20 customers asking him if his dad came up for the weekend and "Why not, we're having a great time!" [surrender] Eventually he went to the back and vented with his boss (they get along great) Told him if he heard one more question asking why his dad didn't come up he was going to deck them. Not really, but you get the gist of his frustration. Made him a pumpkin chiffon pie and we went out to see a movie (Good Night and Good Luck) and he really perked up afterwards. At least next year he's planning on transfering to NJ, so we won't have to go through this again. Just Father's Day.

SG, ditto to smithereens on the Thank You letter, if nothing else, it makes your name pop out in their face one more time.

Tracy, I completely relate to the dog situation [Frown] Chloe's starting to go downhill and can't take hikes as well anymore. We don't want to leave her behind because she becomes depressed and won't eat, so it's a tough deal.

Magilla, ditto to everyone else on being able to do both. Maybe doing a bit of dressage on the side will give him a breather from jumping, and allow you to get on more even ground before you try it again.

Wild Oaks, hope you feel better soon! I haven't caught the flu yet, crossing my fingers that I don't this year!!

Smithereens [big Grin] the grounds either too frozen or too muddy to try and work on a flowerbed right now so I get to procrastinate till spring. Then I'll be right alongside you complaining lol.

quote:

Originally posted by Santas_Girl:

Question for everyone: Is it proper to send a thank you after being interviewed? I've heard both yes and no. And if it is, what would I write in the thank you note?

SG--YES, it's completely appropriate to send a thank you note. Just thank them for the opportunity to be considered, how interesting/fascinating/happy you'd be to contribute to the xyz of what they do and that you look forward to hearing from them. Period.

HR people and hiring managers love that stuff. It also shows that you are definitely interested and want some follow up.

You go, girl. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Oaks Farm:

What about a thank-you email instead? A little less formal, but still polite and a good way to keep your name in front of them!
[Wink]

NO EMAILS. Not personal enough. A handwritten note (yes old fashioned but shows some consideration for personal contact) is the ONLY way to go.

I'm an HR director, have been for 20 years, and I know what I'm talking about. [big Grin]

Well, we went and showed yesterday. [Frown] To put it mildly, it was horrible.

I play piano & organ at church...and yesterday was our first day with full choir and all, etc. etc. so I HAD to be there. Normally I would have bailed so I could have the day at the show with the only stress being show related. Not to be. [Frown]

Pokey was sleepily tied to the trailer, all saddled (wrong saddle) and bridled (they got that one right) when I drove up, 5 minutes before my ride time. When I asked one of my barn mates who I shall refer to as Ditz, where my horse was, she of the shared brain sent me all the way across the show grounds with "Oh, I think he's over there somewhere" when he was actually tied next to her OWN horse... [Mad]

So I was late to the class, judge comes over afterwards and says he could have DQ'd me but that he's a nice guy and so let me stay in. Never mind that poor sleepy Pokey got mounted and woken up pretty fast, and while his impulsion was spectacular, the test itself was a disaster.

I scored a 55...a gift.

The next test wasn't much better even though we had some time to warm up and I could settle my nerves. We scored even lower, 53, which didn't help my mood.

The upshot--back at the trailer, Ditz was complaining about her own score, a 61, pi$$ing and moaning about this circle and that diagonal, and she's only been doing dressage now for 3 MONTHS.

I however have been working my tail off for 3 YEARS. YEARS!!!!! I was not a very happy camper yesterday. I'm still not.

This hasn't been my year. I'm still waiting to hear from my vet about Flash's xrays (the horse up north), but it's just a formality now.

Can I get more depressed?? probably not. Something's gotta go right for me, I'm way overdue. [Me Cry]

Magilla- do eventing. Voila.

Anyway I got back last night at about midnight. The show was less than 20 miles from Canada. I did terribly, placing 7 and 6 out of 8 and 7. Mainly because I can't seem to stop leaning forward.

But our team did absoulutely awesome. We won EVERYTHING both days. High point western and english teams, as well as high point individual riders. On Saturday we got reserve high point individuals as well.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. And there's a double western show this weekend.

Wah! The show was cancelled! Grrr... oh well, at least it gives me some more time to work on stuff with him. BUT! He is going to a national inter-school Eventers challenge (like a derby course really) on the 27th, so Ill get you some pic-a-tures then [Jump] I have one of me jumping him, but I look awful... so... yeah [Roll Eyes]

Oh and I need to vent... sorry!

We moved to a new barn in September; it was the only one that had vacancies at the time. They have two other ponies, 4 pigs, 2 goats, 3 sheep and 9 geese... so its just basically a farm with stables lol. So I thought, Ok, seems alright, the people are welcoming and funny, which I think is pretty important. I love pigs and goats, and sheep are just, well sheep lol. So we move the naggies in and they now tell us that there are no lights, and we'll have to wait till next winter for some... you can imagine how angry and annoyed I was. Had I known, I wouldnt have gone. I know I should of asked, but I really just assumed that there would be electricity... I cant even clip the horses GRRR! Anyway, the other animals are proving to be a NIGHTMARE! The two ponies are mares and one of them stands at the fence and calls our boys over and then she squeals and kicks at them through the fence... bloody horse! *shakes fist* The goats are always trying to escape and I have found them countless times gorging themselves on our hay (this really makes me mad)and Ive have already been headbutted by the male when I was trying to remove him - which hurt like **** (he rammed my fingers into the wall), and the geese are allowed to wander the property (which I dont have a problem with) but they have taken to bathing and pooing in my horses water trough so Im having to clean it ALL the time and they hiss at me constantly... I can just be walking round the corner and stumble upon one and it flaps its wings and hisses at me!! Argh! How I hate them! So it looks like we are going to have to move again, which I really didnt want to have to do. The horses are settled, the people are nice, but I just cannot cope with the lack of electricity and the animals. What do you think I should do?

I have college on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday evening and Thursday. Im working Wednesday and Friday; so I have to do the horse's around school. I have stacks of homework to do, and now Im having to get a job working on Saturday and Sunday aswell... Why? Because of Christmas... I cannot afford anything. Hence why I havent been on here any sooner. Someone please give me a sedative!

Anyway, enough venting...

Boo, I say to give them a good kick up the backside... If you say that they feed him, they feed him! Argh! People these days (wow, Im sounding really olllllld) *shakes head*, you just cant get the staff LOL! Thought some of you might like that comment.

Tracy, again, Im so sorry about fesser, but at least everyone has been really encouraging. I hope he gets well as soon as possible.

Shantel, hope you find a job soon! Money worries are evil, esp. when you have bills to pay and Xmas coming up (sorry, Im obsessed. Im like a small child really... full of ohhh's and ahhh's).

Inky, love the HJ prospect, although I wouldnt like to have to buy a saddle for him. But at least you have built in safety with those long *cough-antler-cough* things to grab on to! Hows Buster doing?

SG, exactly what Remmie says. Dont give the an excuse to find something wrong with you and kick you out. I have a job interview at 5pm tomorrow, so they can be done out of work hours! Or just say you have the dentist... lol.

Oh and one more thing - for my final English paper we were given the choice to write about whatever we want, so I chose.... *drum role*.... Rollkur! The title is going to be something like "Rollkur; whether or not we should do it, and how it affects the horse"... well, something to that effect. Now if anyone knows of some really handy dandy websites (the kahlin.net was closed down), it would really help!

Danke!

Inky – Glad to hear you and Tadd made it through the tough weekend. Not an easy challenge by any stretch of the imagination. Now get off your butt and get out there and tend to your flower garden!! Not all flower bulbs can be planted in the spring. Some have to be planted in the fall, and some have to be planted in the spring. So get out there and dig, girl, DIG!!!!

DQ – So sorry to hear the show went bad. It seems that when things start to go wrong, EVERYTHING goes wrong. We have a way of creating this negative energy around ourselves and not letting anything positive penetrate it. Flash failing the vet check was a major blow, and I don’t think you have given yourself an adequate chance to “grieve” over it yet. Go be sad and withdrawn and sulky and don’t expect anything to go right, but at some point, you will have to pull yourself up by the boot strings and DECIDE “TODAY is the day things will start to go RIGHT for me again”. You have to create the positive energy and allow it to flow around you again. I’m sorry that your barn mates can’t be more sensitive to what you are going through right now. That was really lousy and must have brought you down even further.

Spaceman – Glad to hear your team did well even if you weren’t satisfied with your individual performance. Leaning forward is a VERY common problem, and it is very hard to break. Practice, practice, practice. Always thinking about shoulders back, sitting up. Lots of no stirrup work, will also help to get you sitting up nice and tall and straight. Keep at it, and your performances will improve. Looking forward to pictures.

Fear – MOVE!!! Been there, done that with the animals. Goats and sheep are fine when they are WELL fenced off in their own private pastures. When you have to deal with them, MAJOR PITA!! Those little beasts are the WORST. I grew up on a farm and the three WORST animals you can have to deal with are goats, sheep and geese. Watch out for the geese. It starts with hissing and flapping, but those little devils BITE, and BITE HARD. You would be shocked out how bad a goose bite hurts. To have to put up with any one of those three animals I would feel sympathy for you, but ALL THREE, YIKES!!! Top it off with NO ELECTRICITY??? What year is it again?????? Holy cow, MOVE!!!! In the meantime, good luck with the paper, and to help you out, the Rollkur site is back up and running under a new name just in time:

http://www.sustainabledressage.net/index.php

~Shelly~

No time to comment back to everyone. I will get back on here later this evening for that.

Went to the chiro. I have been you-know-whating and moaning about my back since Saturday when I *STARTED* and I went today and the massage therapist who takes me back to the room asked how I was so I told him the truth so he gave me a free mini massage on my upper back and shoulders. [Angel] I immediately felt better. Then my C2 and C3 were out along with quite a few in my mid back. But my L4 and L5 were out together. She twisted me and CRACK CRACK CRACK and tada.. instant relief. I felt so much better. Spent 15 mins on the warm water massage table and I feel like a new woman.. for a few hours. [Wink]

I am heading off to UPS to get a quote for shipping my Bates Event off to VA for a trial. PLEASE SELL! That will be $1000 in the bank that will greatly help out. Then off to Sears to drop off a payment for my mom and then to the barn. My friends meeting me there. I will have pics hopefully. I am sticking her in my dressage saddle. Must kill chair seat habit of hers! I might hop on but I dont feel that good (overies are uber sensitive right now) but we'll see.

Theres more but Im running out of time. Ill be back this evening sometimes.

[smiley Wavey]

i hope your sale goes through!!

ugh. right now, my day pretty much sucks. my car was hit in the school parking lot. I wasn't driving, it was just parked, and the girl who was parked next to me gave my little corolla a big hefty WACK with her truck. and then she DROVE AWAY!! i had to run after her truck (yea it was pretty funny lol) and get her info. so now the policeman at the police department won't file a police report because apparently the 'other party needs to be present.' so i have to go talk to the policemen at my school tomorrow. grrr and my poor car has all of this gross black smudgey stuff on it. thankfully, other than that it's ok! i'm just not very happy right now.

[ 11-07-2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: mattiesmymare ]

Shantel - Fingers crossed the saddle sells.

Mattie - Sorry to hear about your car. I got hit a couple of months back. I was sitting in the center turn only lane turning left, and some idiot passed me ON THE LEFT. Totally sideswiped me then floored it and drove off doing at least 80mph. It was nearly 11:30 at night and very dark so I couldn't even get a plate #. Fortunately, there was very little damage. Not sure how that happened. One small dent and some scuff marks that we were able to have buffed out. ???? Glad to hear your car wasn't damaged too badly.

I'm outta here. I may be scarce tomorrow. My coworker is out and I have to cover for her so I could be quite busy here. Take care all!!

~Shelly~

[ 11-07-2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: smithereens_86 ]

Spaceman-- LOL yeah! That was the idea, but I will never in my life trust him in that large of an open space, jumping....

Magilla, I ran barrels for years and years and years. My horse didn't like it and I was getting to the point where I hated it to. Very stressful. Once I switched to dressage, which was extreme, going from western barrels to english dressage, I never looked back. Both my horse and I are much happier now. [smile]

Fear, I say move. No electric doesn't work! And I can do without all the farm animals to! [big Grin] As for my stables, they have really bucked up so far. My horse is actually gaining weight! Imagine that! Just in time for the show this weekend!

DQ, sorry you had a rough time at the show yesterday. Guess it could have been worse, eh? [big Grin] Hang in there!

Magilla, a little gymnastic jumping is good for any horse as long as they are sound enough. In fact, in the early days of dressage testing, horse were required to go over a low jump. My horse seems to enjoy it, probably because I don't do too much of it. I jump in my dressage saddle and we are quite a sight, I'm sure.

Fessor got home this evening, after making several human friends at the vet clinic over the past week or so. He came off the trailer like a champ, even though it was dark out and the trailer's interior lights weren't working. A bit of an easy as he stepped on the ramp and Fessor walked off calmly. Good pony!

The vet who originally diagnosed the moon blindness spoke with my trainer today. The gist of the conversation was absolutely no jumping, and ride at my own risk. I figure he has to say that, for the sake of his liability insurance. So FOR NOW we are going to work on our flat work and continue treating him like we did before we knew that Fessor has a vision issue. We'll be a bit careful about where and when we ride, but not quit riding. However, if our small indoor is crowded with four or five beginners still learning how to steer, I'll wait until later. [smile]

We have a follow up appointment with the opthamologist a week from Friday. She did NOT tell me to stop jumping when I spoke with her last Friday. So I will specifically ask her about the possibility of continuing to jump a little bit while the trainer is there to ask her questions. And if my trainer is not comfortable with me jumping Fessor, that is ok too.

Regardless of whatever else we do, I plan to start doing some dressage with Fessor. Our warmups tend to have a dressage base to them now, so it shouldn't be *too* much of an issue. I might even ask for a dressage saddle for Christmas. [smile] But I assume that even if we get the ok to do some jumping that we will be doing a lot less. So it will be a good time to get some more experience in another discipline.

Tracy

Yes, I did. There are plenty of *wonderful* blind horse stories out there. All I had to do was ask, and I've had lots of encouragement and inspiration. I have also found some blind horse resources online. Over the weekend I joined a discussion group, and the site www.blindhorses.org has some very helpful information.

Tracy

Ok I lied. I cant go through and reply to everyone tonight. Randys computer is worse than I remember. I about pulled every strand of hair out of my head trying to upload those pics. So yes, I have a post of riding photos posted. Please go look at them and comment.

I get to go SHOPPING tomorrow. Randys going to buy me some "business" clothing so I can go to interviews and whatever jobs the temp agency gets me. Seeing as the last time I had a job that required me to dress up was when I was 17, I def need some dress clothes that I can put more than 1 leg into as I am not as small as I used to be.

Have a good night.

Tracy - Glad to hear Fessor is home safe and sound. Keep us posted.

Shantel - Oooohhhh, shopping for new clothes. I need new clothes, too. Jack has announced that is what I am getting for Christmas this year because he is sick of seeing me wearing the same things over and over and over again. I only have a few outfits that fit, so I have to wear the same things every week to work. Dress clothes for work are EXPENSIVE!!! [Eek!]

~Shelly~

[smiley Wavey]

Hi, I've lurked about horse city for some time and decided I should join in. I'm happy to have some "horse buddies" to chat with since I'm new to my area and can't take lessons right now. I've got a 6 yr old pinto mare and we've been doing dressage for about 2 years now. I started her took a year off to have twins, well when I can't get on I don't ride, and finally have some more time to ride.