Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 4

Thanks Smithereens & DQ...cross your fingers this lady will at least want to come look at her! I do need to confirm WHAT the lady wants to do with her...Hunter is rather inspecific. I am putting a picture on here to see if you guys think she has suitable conformation for a hunter (I am a dressage rider, so I really wouldn't know...and I don't even know if any of you are hunter riders, but I thought it was worth a try).

My trainer came up with a good idea: I put Alibi out in "the mare pasture" for $50/month, and I work off the rest (normaly it's $200, so I'd have to work off $150) and then I half lease this extremly talented QH x Arab gelding, named Teddy. A half lease would be $407 including 3 lessons per month. Plus the $50 for board would be $457, which isn't bad. I'd still have to shoe/worm Alibi, but that's not that expensive. Do you guys think that'd be a good idea? I wouldn't be able to keep Alibi in training, but hopefully she'd be ok without it, as I'd continue to ride her. To work off the $150 I'd have to feed on Saturday and Sunday nights, and clean/fill water buckets once per week, and clean my trainer two dressage saddles...and possibly some more work. My parents would be the ones driving me, so I am not sure what they would think of the idea, especially since my mom lives 30 minutes away from the stable.

Thanks to those that actually read that, lol.

How is everyone else's evening going? I just got back from riding Alibi...she was full of energy, but after a reg. lunge session and free lunging she was better (you'd never know that she was worked yesterday!)

[smiley Wavey]

Thanks! He is a ton of fun.

Now that I have gone back and read everything everybody else has written:

Inky - Great idea for the cat litter!!

Tracy - Fessor's a very good-looking horse!

Smithereens - Razzie looks very handsome in his bridle. I love it!

Wild Oaks, congratulations on your new pony! [big Grin] Your husband is *definitely* a keeper. And thanks for admiring Fessor. He, of course, is sure that everyone admires him. But hey, I appreciate the compliments on his behalf too.

Tracy

WO--Cute pony...I think I've seen him before. You say he was out here in CA?? [Question]

That hubby of yours is way too special...mine would no more buy me a horse than he would fly to the moon with wings. I told him that if I had to bring Pokey home that he would need a companion, like a pony or mini or something to hang out with, and hubby just about had a stroke.

[Razz]

Give yours a big kiss and a special night for that gift...he's earned it! [Wink]

SG, looking forward to a picture of Santana without his pretty blue blankie.

Inky, I love the cat litter box idea! [big Grin]

Tracy, I like the first picture for a Cmas post card. Nice pictures and a great idea.

Smithereens, I love the new blinging brow band on Raz. Looks great! Hope you survived the drivine lesson with the son today! [big Grin]

FTA, sooo soooo glad you are moving on up into the modern ages and will have electricity at your new barn. How will you ever handle it? [Razz]

WIld Oaks, congrats on aquiring Seamus.

Went to our Dressage chapter Cmas party today and got a pretty cool gift. I got shampoo, liniment brace wash stuff, coat wipes, and a kit that had different Sore No More Products in it. It was a fun party.

Guess I need to take my bling bling bridle to the stables and post a pic if him in it! [Wink] Can't be outdone here ya know? [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by deequeue:

WO--Cute pony...I think I've seen him before. You say he was out here in CA??
[Question]

Yes, he was in CA (Del Mar specifically). His barn name used to be James. Do you know him??

Well guys tomorrow's the BIG day!!! Remember Buster? My rescue pony? Well I'm going to try him out under saddle for the first time. He's gained much more weight and has settled in, so we're going to try our hand on riding. Hey at least if I fall it's a short fall right? [Razz]

Well I'm just continually going on tonight! [Razz] I'd just like your opinions on this. This is the school I'd like to attend once I am able to get my health back under control and go to New Jersey with Tadd:

The Program for the Bachelor's Degree

The School

The final degree, click on Department of Psychiatric Rehabiliation on the left to find the page

HC is DEFINITELY having some issues. I have tried to post a new topic several times yesterday and again this morning, but it won't go through - on two different computers even. [Mad] You wait, in another day the new topic will show up - 65 times. [Roll Eyes] At any rate . . .

FTA - Glad to hear you have joined the rest of us in the 21st century with ELECTRICITY!!! Lights are always a major plus when working around horses after dark. [big Grin]

Shantel - Looks like HC cut off your post - come back and fill us in on what is going on with Prado. Inquiring minds want to KNOW!!

Tracy - LOVE the new X-mas photos of you and Fessor!! The first one is my favorite where he is looking at the camera as well.

WOF - What a GREAT anniversary present!!!! The husband is definitely a keeper!! Seamus is adorable!! I'm so glad you no longer have to worry about sending him back. You can concentrate on loving him now.

Luv - Sounds like your trainer is offering you a very nice deal, as long as your parents go along with it since they have to do the driving.

Boocoo - Cool gift at the Dressage Chapter party. Sounds like a good party. Can't wait to see pics of your boy in his blinging bridle!! Bet he looks just as good as Razzie does in his bridle!!

Inky - Good luck riding Buster, and yes, if you fall, at least it won't be a long fall!! LOL You've done so much solid ground work with him, I'm sure things will go smoothly though, so think POSITIVELY!!! Now as for the school - IF this is the field you are SURE you want to go into, the school look fabulous, BUT if you have any doubts that this is the direction you want to take with your life, then the school looks very limiting. It is a very uni-focus type of school meaning that it does not offer a broad spectrum of studies, but rather only a highly specialized area of expertise. Make sure that this is absolutely what you want, then go for it because once you jump in, you won't be able to change your major the way you could at a university that has a more liberal arts base of studies. If you are positive that this is what you want though, then this school looks really nice because they are so highly specialized and focused.

~Shelly~

Well Smithereens, I started to take the camera today but the batteries were dead. So I stuck them in the charger and will remember tomorrow!

smith, I was having the same problems. I tried to post a new topic like 10 times last night. I finally got fed up. Ill update in a new post since its about riding. [Wink]

On another note, I found out yesterday from my 2nd in command boss that the temp agency has agreed to let me end my temp status with them early so I may begin my perm job. Apparently I had to work for them for 200 hours before I could go perm. But no one told me this. And then CitiBank let me interview and get offered a job when they said they should have known that and told me. So basically Citi does a CRAP LOAD of business with this temp agency, so to keep everyone on a friendly level, the temp agency decided to let me go. YAY. I start the 12th.

Today was a blood drive at work. Of course I donated. I actually did this new thing called AYLX. What it does is takes your blood, them pumps the plasma and everything else minus the red cells back into you so nothings wasted. It take 30 mins but its cool. You have to be at least 5'7, which I am, and a high enough iron count, which I was right at 40.

Ill update with a new topic about my almost worthless trip to TAMPA. Not Naples. [Mad] Trust me, youll hear all about it on my other post.

Okay well I rode Buster today! It was an interesting experience to say the least [Crazy] He was fine for grooming and saddling. Bridling was a PITA though [Razz] Took me thirty minutes before he would stand still long enough lol. Forgot my helmet, I know BAD Erin, but my boots have no traction and I didn't want to go all the way back to the barn to get it. Got on, rode for ten minutes, he was freaking out, wanted to be near his buddies. So I bailed and let him pace and get some of that fear worked out of his situation. In the meantime I brought Inky over and put him in the arena as well so Buster would have a buddy in the same enclosed area. After about 20 minutes Buster was calming back down, so I remounted. It took awhile before I could convince him that he wouldn't die if we left the rail nearest to his pasture buddies. He was still a bit anxious but we were able to work on diagonals, serpentines, and circles at a walk, and I called it good after that. I was proud of him for getting over his fear of being away from his buds [big Grin]

Here are some bad pics:

-

-

-

-

-

Well HC wont let me start a new topic. So its going in here for the time being.

Hey guys.

Im back from Tampa. Yes, Tampa, not Naples.

In a nut shell, at 6:15 Saturday evening, Prado's owner called to inform me that 2 people came to see him that day and BOTH left deposits. One had a vet check scheduled for Tuesday. If I could offer the same amount they did and have him checked on Monday, I could have him. But wait, I dont have a deposit on him? What about the other 2 people? Seemed very shady to me and I was so pissed about how she handled the whole deal, that I left a very upset, but polite, message on her VM. Of course she called back trying to defend herself, but I let her explain it to the voice mail. [bang Head] Some people are just wack jobs. Ive been talking to her for over a month and this was the first weekend we could work out where we could both get there. And she knew I wasnt leaving until 12:30PM. The first person who left a deposit was there at 10:45 and left at 1:15. I was in Gainesville at that time. Why didnt she call me THEN? I was SO irate!

Not to mention that she THEN said "Well I do have this other horse for sale. He did a lot of dressage" blah blah and then says "His price is $25000 but I might be able to get them to come down a tiny bit."

$25000?! You are seriously offering to show me a horse for that when I offered you $4500 and said thats all I could afford?!? WHERES THE FRUITBAT?!

The good thing is that we might have found a horse for my friend Sarah. I have finally ridden a saddle bred! Hes TOO cute. Some training holes but not a mean bone or buck in his body. Needs his teeth and feet done, new bit (hes in a twisted Dr Bristol!!) and no running marty. Hes a doll and the right price. Only thing that stands in the way now is what our vet says. He had a pasture accident when he was really young and got kicked in the knee. Its larger with scar tissue but appears sound on it. They have xrays from about a year ago (horse is 12 and dealing with it fine, NOW) that we want our vet to review and if she feels it would be worth it, to do a full vet check, and compare the old knee xrays to current ones. THEN if all is clear, Sarah will have her first horse. Hes such a cool dude. Ill upload pics and video later this evening.

So thats my update. The stars werent aligned for me and Prado. But thats ok. I havent really come across anything else like him that has really caught my eye for the right price. So Ill just hang onto my money and help Sarah if she gets Gus. It will work out eventually.

Krazy I guess it's a good thing that it didn't work out NOW, before you rode him and had more time invested and she sold him out from under you like she was trying to do to those two other people! How disappointing.

Inky - You are way more motivated than me. There is a *chance* of snow tonight here and I have done nothing but whine and complain (and blanket horses!). I couldn't imagine riding in it if I am this worried about cleaning stalls in the snow! [big Grin]

Inky--I can't even imagine riding a young/green horse in all that white stuff [Eek!] but I suppose if you were "separated" from each other it might be a soft place to land... [Wink]

Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!! Still can't post a new topic!!! Darn HC!!!! [Mad] I will warn you that if we EVER get to post new topics to this board again, I may be flooding the poor board because I have several new topics I have been wanting to post - just waiting for the chance . . . COME on HC!!!!

Boocoo - Ahhh, that old excuse!!! [big Grin] I learned long ago to leave the batteries in the charger permanently plugged in so that they are always good to go whenever I need them.

Shantel - CONGRATULATIONS, on going perm at the job!!!! [Yay] That is fabulous news!!!! So sorry to hear about the deal with Prado, but at least the seller's got shady on you before you had a lot of time and energy and $$$ invested in him. And what a bait and swap - $25K is a heck of a difference from $4.5K!!! [Eek!] Give me a break!! Fingers crossed that the vet check works out on Gus for Sarah. He sounds like a real nice horse for her.

Inky - Only your first three pics showed up, then I got all little red boxes. Photobucket is messing with my head this morning. [Frown] I'm in no mood to be messed with either. Glad to hear the first ride went well. I agree with you, I like riding in the snow, so long as it is the SOFT FLUFFY kind. Once it freezes over and turns into the hard frozen packed icy mess, I LOATHE riding in it. The best is when it is just up to the horse's fetlocks and nice and fluffy so that they have to pick their feet up nice and high. Great workout for them, but you have to be real careful not to overdo it because it is such hard work. Like doing constant trot poles.

~Shelly~

Well guys, Sarah has gotten cold feet for now and has decided to wait until the 1st of the year to get Gus, if hes still available. We are still going to have my vet look at his xrays to see if he would even be worth waiting for. Shes just stressed about Xmas and presents + a new payment of board. Hopefully he'll still be around if his xrays turn out ok. Its totally understandable. So its on hold for now, but hopefully it will be a go in about 3 wks.

Its such a nasty day. Cool and overcast and starting to rain. Tomorrow its supposed to be really cold and raining ALL day. BLAH. To think up until now its been in the 70s and sunny and beautiful.. in DECEMBER.

Smith - Thanks. And yes, I am totally frusterated with HC and posting new topics right now! Hope they get it together ASAP.

I just got an email that the USA won the bid to host the 2010 FEI Championships! Way cool.

Oh, finally, here are pics of my horse in his new blinging show bridle.

-

At our schooling show about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

-

Today at the barn.

Started off somewhat perky!

-

Started to get bored with this now! I think I am on about the 20th picture by this time? [big Grin]

-

Plum ready to fall asleep now!

Gosh he was to cute! He stood so quietly and patiently and let me wash his face and braid his forlock for the pictures!

[ 12-07-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Heres my Gatsby update [Frown] he strained his tendon slipping and sliding outside in the natsy weather, it nothing bad, in fact he wasnt even lame, but still i cant let it turn into something bad so hes going to rest for awhile. The vey said i could start riding again in 3 weeks but i'm gonna wait about a month. I know tendons are nothing to mess with [Frown]

I got a question too, my farrier suggested we put studs in to gatsby would have more traction, mayone have any experience with this?

I cant pull his shoes and snow pads dont help with traction, any other ideas? Thanks!

BQD studs are awesome, my riding instructor had them on all her horses back home in Alaska. They do help with traction on the ice, and from the sounds of it Gatsby could benefit from them. [Huggy] Hope he gets better soon!

The H/J board was having issues a couple evenings ago also. I had to add my pictures to an existing thread rather than start a new one like I had planned. At least posts on existing threads are going through more easily. [smile]

Tracy