Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 4

pssst btw for tips on getting new topics on board, go back and search for a thread you created that had 0 replies. Edit the title and the content to what you want to say, then bump it up. [Wink]

Boocoo - AWESOME blinging bridle!!! Beau looks fabulous in it!! Love his blaze as well!!

Shantel - You just are NOT having horse shopping luck at all recently. Sorry to hear Sarah is getting cold feet. Hopefully Gus will still be waiting in 3wks.

BQD - So sorry to hear about Gatsby's strained tendon. Definitely needs some traction help. Raz has some very, very small Borium studs on the heels of his shoes. That is enough to do the trick for him.

Hopefully Amy will get our board straightened out in a hurry so that we can post some new topics. The ones we have are starting to get a little stale!! [Wink]

Here's a bit of interesting news for you all, I think I am going to try to drag Jack out to an impromtu lesson tomorrow morning!! That should be interesting. He hasn't seen me ride since my last show in late September, so I thought it was about time he come see all the progress we have been making. [big Grin]

~Shelly~

Thanks Smithereens. You know, my horse has a full blood brother that looks just like him, except his blaze goes down his left nostril, where my horse's goes down his right nostril. They could be book ends! [big Grin] They say his brother was sold and went to England to do 3 day eventing!

I bet Jack enjoys your lesson tomorrow.

BQD, I have never had to use studs on shoes, so can't help you there. When I lived in TN last winter it got icy and slick, but we didn't turn out, outside in that type of weather. We used the indoor for turn out time.

Krazy, hope your horse situation works out soon. They say good things come to those who wait! So hang in there!

Boocoo - Bookends, how cute!!! Now THAT would make a great picture. Too bad his brother is on the other side of the world.

Forgot to tell you all . . . Julie called me today to let me know that she is calling around to some of her BNT friends in the area to try to set me up some lessons with one of them on one of their upper level horses so that I can learn flying lead changes. I've never done any before so I'm (needless to say) a tad tense about having to train them to Raz. She figured if I had at least ridden a few of them and gotten the feel for them, I wouldn't be so tense when it came time to train Razzie. She's always thinking ahead!! Love her for that!!

~Shelly~

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

Boocoo - Bookends, how cute!!! Now THAT would make a great picture. Too bad his brother is on the other side of the world.

Forgot to tell you all . . . Julie called me today to let me know that she is calling around to some of her BNT friends in the area to try to set me up some lessons with one of them on one of their upper level horses so that I can learn flying lead changes. I've never done any before so I'm (needless to say) a tad tense about having to train them to Raz. She figured if I had at least ridden a few of them and gotten the feel for them, I wouldn't be so tense when it came time to train Razzie. She's always thinking ahead!! Love her for that!!

~Shelly~

I wish I did have a picture of his brother. Just going on what the people said whom I bought him from. That will be 4 years the 21st of this month!

I can imagine Julie is thinking ahead because she knows what a talented student she has and she is not going to let up on you now! [big Grin] But, we all know you can handle it. I bet you are in for a super show season next spring!

Boo - BLINGIN!!!! Woo! Sorry I havent posted before this, too much school work! And is that a .... PURPLE... headcollar (or should I say halter? LOL)?!?!?! Who is your boy sired by? I could try and find out some info for you.

Inky - Buster is so cute! He looks so much better! Congrats on riding him, I bet you feel so proud and on a high!

BQD - Are we talking about screw in studs? If so you cant put a horse out with them in, its too dangerous. Gats would be more likely to do some damage with them in than out. Sorry about his accident though!!

Gizmo has dropped so much weight... its so depressing!

FTA, why is Gizmo dropping weight? I struggled with that with Beau to. Mostly because all these boarding barns don't know how to feed a big horse! [Mad] He is finally putting on weight. Yes, Beau has a purple halter, purple dress sheet and purple slinky. Although I really prefer navy on him. So I have a navy velvet schooling pad and navy polo wraps. Beau's brothers name is Tricky Beau by Tricky Fun and out of a mare called Be Beautiful. She is an own daugher of Easy Jet. He went to England to do 3 day eventing. I am a bit confused though. I don't know if went to live there, or was just shipped over to compete? AQHA says his owners live in the states. He is owned by a farm, not an individual person. So maybe they have a farm over there to? I really don't know. I don't even know at what level he was competing or when that was? Had to have been pretty good to go to the expense of shipping him over though, I would think, eh?

Have you moved to the new barn yet?

[ 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Boo--Geez louise, I need freakin' sunglasses to see that bridle... [Razz] sure does look pretty tho! [big Grin]

BQD--So sorry about the Gats-man, hope he's not too inconvenienced by this. I know nothing about studs on shoes personally but I've heard that they do the trick with the carriage horses that work on icy city streets back east....but then we've got some back-east folks on here too. [Duh]

[smile]

quote:

BQD - Are we talking about screw in studs? If so you cant put a horse out with them in, its too dangerous. Gats would be more likely to do some damage with them in than out. Sorry about his accident though!!

No, no there not like eventing studs or anything, my farrier puts them in and he can go out and ect. with them. There very different [Wink]

Thanks for all the well wishes for Gatsby!

[ 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

FTA - What's up with Gizmo losing weight?? Barn move got him down or just the cold weather?? Hope you get him sorted out.

Well we did get out to do the lesson this morning, and it was AMAZING!!! So amazing in fact that I more than just impressed the socks off of Jack, I totally FREAKED him out. I now have him totally freaked that I have brought Raz along too fast too far. [Eek!] I spent the next half hour reassuring him that Raz is FINE!! LOL He is worried that I am pushing too hard and am going to cause mental and/or physical burnout. Raz is doing great through. There is no reason to worry. He is stronger than ever. He is just a really smart horse and learned quick. But now I have to go wrap a zillion X-mas presents, so more about our incredible lesson later.

So glad we can post new topics again. [Yay]

~Shelly~

Deequeue, must be why I got some really dark sunglasses, eh? [big Grin] How's that new pony btw?

Smithereens, heading over to read your post on your lesson. I am sure Razz is fine. Our horses have a way of telling us if we have pushed them to far, don't you think? I know Beau sure does! [Razz]

I have a VERY INTERESTING update on Prado.

Sarah was bored at work today so pulled up his ad.

Turns out, the other girl who had 1 of the 2 deposits on him vetted him. Flexed great but has navicular changes in his LF and hes 7!! Looks like I AM having good luck after all!

I had a massage at the chiro today. I feel so refreshed. One day left as a temp and I start my perm job Monday!

Sorry about Gats. Hang in there!

And glad you had a great lesson smith!

Anyone mind sending a few good vibes my way? I submitted a cover letter and a resume as a medical receptionist yesterday and got a call today for an interview tomorrow at 11. Could I get some crossed fingers that the interview goes well and I get the job? Thanks [Angel] I need this job as I'm withdrawing from school and I don't know if my parents are going to drop me or not, as they very well might.

Boocoo - Yes, Raz is FINE!! He absolutely tells me if I am pushing him too far either mentally or physically. I had to break down and finally come clean and tell Jack that I have been paying a small team of vets (behind his back because he would FREAK if he knew how much $$$ I was spending on little Razzie's care) to look after Raz's every need with regards to such things as chiro, massage, and lameness exams (whenever he shows the slightest hint of unsoundness). Not to mention that I pay through the nose to have one of the best farriers in the region care for Razzie's feet, and if/when he does come up sore in any fashion, my vet does an exceptionally thorough exam. No shortcuts. Only the best for little Razzle. So I know I haven't pushed too hard or too fast for him. What freaked Jack out yesterday is that he was in the viewing room with a brand new boarder, and he told her that we have had Razzle for a year and when we got him he had no training, and "this" (meaning what she was seeing in front of her now) was how far Julie had brought us along in the year's time. Apparently the new boarder was asking about Julie as a trainer as she is looking for a new trainer and trying to figure out which of the trainers at my barn will be right for her and her horse. Of course this woman is now thinking that Julie and I brought along an unbroke horse from nothing to Second Level in years time. So right so she told Jack that was REALLY FAST progress, and he FREAKED. That is NOT accurate though. As of April we will have had Razzle for TWO YEARS, and he didn't come with ZERO training. He had plenty of Western pleasure and trail training. He just didn't have any DRESSAGE training. That is a far cry from what Jack was describing to this poor confused woman yesterday. [Roll Eyes]

Shantel - Glad to hear you got off the "Prado Wagon" when you did!!! Sounds like you avoided an expensive PPE missle on that one. Phew!!!

Inky - Fingers crossed for you!!!

~Shelly~

Smithereens, Razz sounds like my horse. He had training in other disciplines when we started dressage. What slowed me down this past year, was us moving twice to two different states, so I only got to show 3 times. This next year, we ought to be able to go at least once a month and we are making good steady progress now.

Krazy, glad you found out about Prado.

Inky, best of luck with your interview. I was offered the little job I applied for, but turned it down. My husband and I agreed, it just wasn't worth it for just two hours a day, and then one day a week my son would have to come home to an empty house, as his school gets out early every Wed. NO WAY!!!!!! I will not have my son coming home to an empty house. He is only 11. Even though I would be home 20 min. later. He is just to young yet!

Well, it's been a couple of days now and even though I've probably spent all of an hour altogether with my new baby, I'm starting to get to know him a bit.

When I got to the barn on Weds night, they BOTH came running up to their stall doors nickering and calling...in tandem...it was pretty cute, actually. Last night Pokey did it (as usual) but Flash didn't seem interested until he heard me rattling carrots in a bucket. Then he practically ran me down trying to get to them. I had to get after him for that, which is okay, I'm just not used to it. Pokey's so broke and easy and I know him so well...well, it's going to take some time getting with a new horse. [Confused]

I get the sense that Flash is going to be a little more challenging for me than Pokey was. He's definitely got a personality...and I can't wait to ride him and start getting a feel for him. For now though I'll just have to get to know him from the ground and see what my trainer has to say.

I'm nervous about that...I've been riding Pokey almost exclusively for the past 13 years...but I'll just have to take it slow and not let little things get to me (as I am so willing to do). Remember I'm not as young as I used to be and have fallen off with major injuries enough times to have that apprehension thing pretty well in place.

So we'll see how it goes. I've got a few weeks to work on my heebiejeebies before Flash & I start teaming up. [smile]

Hey... has anyone heard anything from Remmie this week? She seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.... while I suppose it is possible that she is actually just taking some time off, I am concerned about her hubby.

[Frown][Confused]

No one is allowed to take time off without notifying the board in the future.

She'll be back Sunday [Wink]

Yeah, we havent had an update about her hubby in a while. Hopfully on Sunday we'll get an update [smile]

[ 12-09-2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

I was wondering where she was the other day too. Hope all is well with her and her hubby. [Angel]

Just got home! After work The Moms and I got our nails done. I had a new set put on so I could have a french manicure and also had a pedicure. Then I also got my eyebrows waxed. Then we went to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner and did a little shopping. Now we are home at 10 30!

Randys on his way. I am spoiled. LOL He only has a few hours off the boat and I wanted to see him so hes going to drive here just for a little while. Then he has to go back to work and work ALL day. They are crazy busy. But I misses him! [Wink]

Yeh, I am really happy about how things ended up happening with the whole Prado thing. How shady! Thank Goodness though b/c I could have wasted a lot of money like the other girl did!

I have found a few nice looking TBs closer by and cheaper that look like they could work. But not rushing into anything.

Deequeue, you are going to have so much fun getting to know your new baby!

We went to go see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe tonight. First show was sold out!!!!! So we bought tickets for the next show. Went to eat to kill some time and then went back for the 10 p.m. show. It was absolutely awesome, fabulous, magnifique!!!! You have got to see this movie! I was spell bound!! Everybody clapped at the end. That is only the 2nd movie I have ever gone to where everybody clapped in the movie theater at the end. The first one was Seabiscuit!

[ 12-10-2005, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

We went to go see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe tonight. First show was sold out!!!!! So we bought tickets for the next show. Went to eat to kill some time and then went back for the 10 p.m. show. It was absolutely awesome, fabulous, magnifique!!!! You have got to see this movie! I was spell bound!! Everybody clapped at the end. That is only the 2nd movie I have ever gone to where everybody clapped in the movie theater at the end. The first one was Seabiscuit!

We saw it last night too, I loved it! I didn't think it was as good as the book, but it was fantastically done. My favorite part is when the horse says "Ahem...my name is Philip" [ROTFL] But I won't say anything else as to not ruin the movie for anyone!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! There are three other applicants for the job and two jobs openings. One is a 40 hour position and the other is a 32 hour position, she asked which I would rather have, and I said the 32 hour position, because then I can have my Wednesday appt open for my counseling appt and my other job. So I've got a 50/50 chance of getting this job. Fingers majorly crossed on this! I also applied for a 14 hr a week typist job that has an option of doing it from home, since I type pn average 100-120 wpm. So if I could get that, that would be a nice little end to the day to get some extra cash. Planning on applying to go through courses to become a certified medical transcriptionist if I get this medical receptionist job, so I have more options for better paying jobs when I get to New Jersey.

Remmie, I hope you don't have any doubts that we all miss you on the dressage board now! Hope your husband's doing okay and well on the road to recovery.

Shantel, it does sound like you missed out on an expensive vet bill! Another one will come your way eventually, and hopefully by then you'll find a buyer for Layla!

Smithereens don't you just love it when the not as horsey SO's try to describe your progress to a bystander? It almost always ends up bad but funny at the same time. Glad you've been having some awesome progress!

DQ sounds like you and Flash have already starting the bonding [smile] Can't wait to hear updates on his training. Especially now that you know how to post pictures [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

Ooooh I saw it too! I LOVED it!! [Jump] I am a huge fan of the books and was afraid the book would be butchered by the movie, but it mostly remained true to the book and I didn't mind the parts that were altered/added. And I loved it when Phillip talked too. That was so cute. Everyone started clapping when it started, and again at the end. The only other movies I have been to that got clapped for were Star Wars (my husband is a huge Star Wars fan).

I was wondering about Remmie too. BQD, glad to hear she'll be back soon!

It is finally warming up here and the horses can go out today...guess I'd better go rutn everyone out.

Have a great weekend everybody!