Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 4

Yeah Inky and Wildoak, that was great when the horse said his name was Philip. I thought they did a great job keeping true to the book. Being a Biblically based movie, all the Christian spokespersons were afraid of the same thing. They were talking about it on the Christian radio station the other day. Several of them got to see the movie before the scenery and a lot of the characters lower halves of their bodies were done. They said they were just green blobs. Anyway, they said they were thrilled with how well they kept it to the book. We have all read the entire series. My son loves the books.

Best of luck with the job situation, Inky. I have a good feeling about this for you! [Wink]

All right, need to go put up our tree so I can get to the barn and ride ! [big Grin]

[ 12-10-2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Just wanted to take time to introduce everyone to the rest of my family.

My guinea pigs, Snuffles and Freckle

-

And my one-eyed hamster, Pirate

-

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a somewhat handicapped pet SG, I have a paraplegic gerbil [Razz] She does great though, her shoulders are huge and she's moves pretty dang quick for not having any use of her back legs! I love the guinea pigs [big Grin] Though it did take me a minute to figure out where their faces were under all that hair!

Don't forget to take a pic of that tree to share some Christmas spirit on here Boocoo [big Grin] We won't be having one in our apartment since we're going back to Tadd's mom's house for Christmas so it's rather non festive here.

[ 12-10-2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

WOOHOO!!!!! I submitted a resume and a cover letter yesterday for a 14 hour a week typist job. I got a call back today, and she wants to hire me [big Grin] I start Tuesday at 10:30 and she'll start training me, and I think afterwards she'll have me transcribe from tapes so I can work from home since my hours will be crazy if I get this other job. [big Grin][big Grin] One down, one more to keep my fingers crossed on!

[ 12-11-2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Inky ]

Well, I have to catch up with everything tomorrow but I am back. Thanks for missing me.

Hubby was readmitted to the hospital last week. He got home again after just a couple of days and then we went to the frozen north for a few days to visit family. Wow! It was COLD! and we actually had snow. It was fun for a couple of days, then we just wanted to get home, shed the coats and get warm.

I did find a great store and came back with four more of those "bling-bling" browbands. I couldn't resist, because she was only charging $25.00 for them. They cost a small fortune at the stores in Ocala. I do love a bargain. So, I'll have to try them all on Tristan. (He will just love that, I'm sure.)

I'll catch up on all of you tomorrow.

SG, what adorable pets you have. I used to have a 3 legged gerbil. She got one caught in her execise wheel! She was always able to get around fine though.

Inky, congrats on the job. That's a great start!!!

Ok, went to go take pics of the tree with the cat sleeping underneath it. She is the only thing under it right now. Have not had time to wrap any presents yet. Anyway, batteries died again. Went to get the other set out of the charger, they aren't charged? [Confused] So charging batteries again! [Duh] I do this a lot! [big Grin]

U2 is in concert right now on TV. I love those guys! I think some of their hits, just the music, no words, would be awesome Grand Prix freestyle songs!

Shantel - Hope you got more than just a couple minutes visiting with Randy!!

SG - Adorable pets!!

Inky - Congrats on job #1!! Fingers crossed for job #2!!

Boocoo - How funny, I used to have a hamster years ago that broke her leg on her exercise wheel. It never did heal right.

Remmie - Glad to have you back. We definitely missed. So sorry to hear you husband took a turn for the worse. I hope he is okay now. Four bling bling browbands!!!! WOW!! Pictures are a must!!!! Tris is going to be one spiffy looking boy!!

I'm off to bed now, but before I go, I need to pick your brain, Remmie (and anyone else with counter canter expertise), but I'll do it in a separate post.

~Shelly~

Remmie, glad you are back, hubby is ok, and Tristan cashed in for Cmas! [big Grin] Can we see pics of him in his new brow band. Where did you get them? A tack store? Do they have a web site?

Oh, I forgot, Julie set up the lessons for me with the BNT so it is definite. All I have to do is call to set up the time. I've already called and left a message. I'm excited and freaked all at the same time. I hope she doesn't make me ride in a double bridle. I've never ridden in a double bridle before. Oh boy!! If I think Julie is tough on me . . . I've audited Maria's lessons before. I better get my act together!! Maybe I'll schedule the lesson for VERY LATE at night when no one will be around to witness my downfall. [Wink]

~Shelly~

Morning gals!

I think I have 99% of my Xmas shopping done. Just a few more tiny things and thats it for me!

Sarah and I are going riding this afternoon. Layla hasnt been ridden in over a week. Oh well. It doesnt matter with her. She is the same horse. It was in the 70s yesterday. So hot for mid-Dec. Now its barely breaking into the 60s. Finally cooler weather. Into the 30s tonight.

Sarahs bringing the camera so hopefully Ill have pics later this week. Im taking Laylas new black crank bridle out and putting my other browband on it so you can all see the beatimous bridle with lovely browband!

Colts @ Jaguars today at 1! If we can beat them, we secure our place in the playoffs. I loath the Colts and Manning. LOATH I SAY! I want us to beat them so badly. The Colts had a similar streak going last year and we beat them in their home field with it being cold. Which no one has done in like 15 years I think it was. So we can do it! GO JAGS!

Remmie, So glad to see you back. Sorry about your hubby. I hope hes doing better now. And I cant wait to see the pics of the blinging brow bands!

smith, Youll do fine with the BNT. You and Raz are doing great and I know your trainer wouldnt set you up unless you were ready. And the double isnt that bad. I never rode in one before but when I took my lessons on my trainers 4th level Trak, I had to. Its really not hard at all. Youll do great.

Inky, WTG! Thats so great. Hope you get the other job too! And I thought I was fast with my 80WPM. HA!

It's a tad bit cooler up this way, Shantel!! [Wink] We got a foot of snow on Friday. Very happy to have the heated indoor to ride in. How is Layla's back doing??

I've caught the kids flu/cold that they have been sick with. I thought I was fine, but Julie told me on Saturday that I was sick/tired/something because my riding was off. [Confused] I figured I was just having an off day, but within a few hours of my lesson, sure enough, I was sick. Urrrgghhh . . . I hate being sick. [Frown]

~Shelly~

Shelly, she seems fine to me. Again, like I told the trainer-wannabevet that her muscles were slightly sore from lifting the back and using herself. But that constitutes lame in the hocks? I know sore hocks can cause symptoms in the back, but this is just not the case.

At any rate, I have a mother and a son (yes, a boy!) coming to look at her on Saturday. The son is doing 2'9 courses right now and seems further along than the other families daughter, so we'll see. Im in no rush to sell her. If it works out, wonderful. If not, great too.

I am about to leave to go ride. Sarahs coming with me and Im getting pics with her new bridle on! [Wink]

quote:

WOOHOO!!!!! I submitted a resume and a cover letter yesterday for a 14 hour a week typist job. I got a call back today, and she wants to hire me I start Tuesday at 10:30 and she'll start training me, and I think afterwards she'll have me transcribe from tapes so I can work from home since my hours will be crazy if I get this other job. One down, one more to keep my fingers crossed on!

[Yay][Yay][Yay] That's great news, Inky!

As some of you know, I am trying to sell my Arab mare. The woman interested never called back...which we are pretty sure means she is not interested.

Even though I haven't sold my mare yet, I am going to start half-leasing a QH x Arab gelding, named Teddy. He is about 4.5 years old, 15hh and schooling second level. He is so talented, so I am pretty physched to start riding him. Teddy and I, as well as two other friends where I board/ride, are aiming for a Recognized Dressage show in March, in Auburn, WA...it's at Donida Horse Farm. Anyone been there? I've been there twice, once to watch, once to groom, so I know my way around now.

I am at a loss for some good novels...anyone have some suggestions? I go through books like they're nothing! Recently I've read Native Dancer, The Grey Ghost, Hero of a Golden Age by John Eisenberg, She Flies Without Wings, How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul by Mary D. Midkiff, Horseplay (forget the author's name, sorry, but its an adult novel, and the author is a Grand Prix dressage rider), and Sky Burial (a non-horse book, takes place in China and Tibet), though I don't know the author. I definitely reccomend those!

What's new with you guys? I have a lesson tonight, on Alibi, my Arab. My last lesson was great, we did shoulder-in, haunches-in, renver, leg yield, haunches-in across the diagnol (to start half-pass), medium and collected trot, 15 & 10 meter canter/trot circles, and canter serpentines. I felt like we were actaully getting somewhere, but my last few rides have been absolutely awful. Its like we go 3 steps forward, and then 5 back, but that's all part of our wonderful sport of dressage, right? (you never stop learning!) Cross your fingers for another great lesson tonight!

On Monday I got a book for my dad, and I have already gotten him two shirts, so he's set for Christmas. I am getting my mom a book and a bar of soap that she loves. My sister is in Austria, so I got her some winter clothes...for friends I am just doing cards this year.

I better stop babbling now... [big Grin]

We are having snow of epic proportions today. And wind of epic proportions. And it is my lesson night. It is very possible that the roads will prevent me from getting to the barn.

I was debating about attempting it until my car spun and slid down a hill and through a red light on the way home. Now i'm leaning more towards not attempting the drive.

But you know...I really, really, really need to ride. And to all the desperate housewives out there...I am turning into a desperate HORSEWOMAN. [Crazy][Crazy][Crazy]

So I went out and rode Layla last night. I hadnt ridden in almost 2 wks b/c I was sick and then starting the new job I was too busy. So she got 2 wks off.

Of course shes not slightly sore in her back anymore. WONDER WHY? Maybe b/c she had a chance to relax b/c she wasnt ridden so she wasnt sore from working.

[Duh]

But it was 46, night, and she hadnt been worked in 2 wks. Asking for a disaster eh? LOL Luckily not for me. The mare doesnt care and doesnt get all crazy with time off, even in the worst conditions. She was great. Sarah took pics that I hope to get in a few days. Layla was wearing her new bridle.

New hire training is going well. Theres a girl in my class whos actually going to be on my team in work who rides as well. Shes cool.

Went to the chiro today. My atlas was out again. It stays for about every 2-3 wks. Pulled all the vertbre in my neck out to the left.

Im irritated with Randy. Its his last night off. Hes at his friends helping him move. So when I leave the chiro I ask where he is. Well hes still at his friends which is like 5 mins from my chiro. So I said Id meet him over there. "Oh no you cant do that they want to leave right now." So 5 mins later I call to find out when hes going to be home b/c Im hungry and dont want to wait until 10pm to eat dinner. Oh but wait. They are still at his friends and expect to leave in 5 mins. So that would have given me TEN minutes to get 5 mins down the road.

Oh but wait. It gets better.

So I get home in 5 o'clock traffic. Its now 20 mins past the first conversation. He calls.

They are STILL at his friends and now he wants me to come over and NOW he can wait for me to get there.

WHERES THE FRUITBAT?!?!?!?!

Why wait until I battle through traffic going the OPPOSITE way b/c you couldnt wait for me to get there b/c you were "leaving in 5 mins" to call me 20 mins later and now say you can wait for me?

I dont even want to get into how irritated stupid decisions like this make me.

Well The Moms is waiting on me to help wrap gifts.

Aidos. (Did I spell that right? LOL I took french)

how is everyone today? i'm quite tired. Schools really ben weighing on me(high school and college). Proud to stay I have a 4.0 ans have been to the barn everyday the past 4 weeks [Razz] go me!

Whats everyone doing for Chirstmas? i have to go to the barn and work and see Gatsby. no better way to spend Chirstmas huh?

Anyone herd from DQ? i wanna see more pics of her beautiful boy!

[smiley Wavey]

Was supposed to go riding today. But it started pouring on our way out. PERSONALLY it didnt bother me b/c thats why we have a covered arena, but Sarah didnt want to deal with the rain. So we didnt go to the barn. We will be out there tomorrow though so hopefully Ill have pics.

I did make a new post with pics so please go check it out and reply! [Wink]

Tomorrow will mark week 1 of the 6 wk training class. My friend in there has a 16.2 SOLID AS A TANK 5 y/o QH mare that she said I could come ride any time. Shes a cute looking mare and hey, riding another horse would be fun. She also lives right down the road from me and even LOOKED at Layla before I bought her! Isnt that a small world?

I need to be getting on anyways though. Woke up late and had to use some unplanned time today. DOH!

luvhorses - Sorry to hear that the woman never called you back about Alibi. Teddy sounds like a really nice horse - 2nd level by 4.5yo. Kinda young to already be doing 2nd level isn't he? I'm surprised your trainer isn't worried about overburdening his joints (among other things) at such at young age. Sounds like your last lesson went really well. Keep up the good work.

SG - Fellow Desperate Horsewoman, I feel your pain!! We are in the midst of an ICE storm which I am debating tackling tonight to go ride. [Eek!] I have to be crazy. I missed my schooling ride Tuesday though because I was home sick with the flu. Saturday's lesson was less than stellar because (apparently) I was coming down with the flu. Julie announced halfway through my lesson that I was riding terribly and must be coming down with something. Adamant as I was that I felt fine, she sent me home to "get rest". Within two hours of the lesson, I was SICK. Urrgghh!! Now Julie has had to cancel this Saturday's lesson due to prior plans she has, and I set up my first lesson with the BNT for this Tuesday. YIKES!!! I NEED TO RIDE!!! I am trying to convince Julie that she wants to give me a lesson Sunday morning. She HATES teaching on Sunday mornings. I have resorted to begging at this point. I am desperate for a good lesson with Julie before my lesson with Maria on Tuesday. If Julie won't do Sunday morning, my only other alternatives are tonight in the middle of an ice storm or maybe Monday night after work. Hmmm . . .

Shantel - Men!!! Jack asked me to make out LONGSTANDING plans for this weekend for late Saturday evening to accomodate some alternate plans that he accidentally made when he forgot about our longstanding plans. Fine. I adjusted back the time of our longstanding plans to accomodate Jack's error. When I told him on Wednesday, he had a meltdown. Apparently he changed his plans to be early in the evening and needed me to change our longstanding plans to be as early as possible in the afternoon. URRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!! I guess my powers of ESP are failing me this week. Fortunately, my friends are very accomodating and just laughed when I called to change the time AGAIN!!!

BQD - WELL DONE!! Sounds like you are doing exceptionally well in school!! Keep up the great work!! I'm not sure what Jack and I are planning do to for Christmas. The boys are headed to Virginia to be with their mother this year, so Jack and I will go to Vermont to be with my family for Christmas day, but we have several days off that I'm not sure what we will do with. ???

~Shelly~

My lesson with the BNT, Maria, is SET UP!! YIPPEEE!! Freak out!!! For - OMG - this coming Tuesday at 1:45pm. YIKES!!!

I have the day off for a morning doctors appointment so Maria jumped at the opportunity to have me there so soon for a lesson. I talked to Maria for about an hour the other night. She is sooo excited. More excited than me if that is even possible!! She said she knows Julie pushes me hard, but that is only because I have so much talent, and therefore she (Maria) is going to push me a little harder than what Julie does. Great!!

Maria has two different horses for me to ride. Ranger, a 4th level TB that is very similar to Raz in that you really have to work to keep him together or his gaits will feel choppy, and he will get strung out and all over the place. The other horse, Willie, is a 19yo grand prix level Hanoverian that is a big lanky confirmed dumblood that you really have to PUSH to get through, but then he is really nice. He will really test my core muscles. Double great! I'm going to HURT!!! Maria was going on and on about how she would get me going on the changes, then when I started working with Raz, she would come watch some of my lessons so we could go back and work again with Willie and Ranger, and she would know exactly what to work with me. I told her that before I ever got to that point with Raz, Julie would go out on maternity leave, and I would be trailering Raz to her for some lessons if it was okay with her. She about FLIPPED. I've never heard her so excited. Guess that's a yes!!

Now I just need to BEG Julie for a morning lesson on Sunday because I really want to get a good lesson in before I ride with Maria. I've wanted to ride with Maria for a long time now, and I want a positive ride on Raz before I go there. I also want to have one of the boys video the lesson so that I can take that with me to give to Maria. She hasn't seen Raz and me since she moved out of our barn in July. Before that she had been watching our daily progress since the day I bought Raz. She is going to be floored with how much progress we have made since she moved to her new barn.

~Shelly~

Shelly, have fun at your lesson! It is wonderful to hear how excited you are. I LOVE knowing that I'm not alone in being a horse crazy teenager at heart, even if I haven't been a teenager in several years. [big Grin]

I need to find a preride warmup routine. My back has been VERY painful the last couple of rides, for the first twenty minutes or so. The fact that we are in the first really COLD cold snap of the winter doesn't help. It's been about twenty degrees Farenheit (highs) for most of the week. We are at about the lower limit of temperatures where I am still willing to ride. Any colder, and I feel bad about taking the blankets off the horse long enough to put on a riding blanket and tack. Fortunately it is warmer today, so I might actually relax at the barn a bit instead of keeping moving all the time.

Now if I can just decide what to get my sisters for Christmas, I'll be all set. Oh well, I have a week or so left to decide... [smile] I *did* get prints of Fessor and me to include with cards, so I'll try to get those done this weekend and out on Monday.

Enjoy the weekend!

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by TracyA:

even if I haven't been a teenager in several years

I'm afraid it's been MORE than "several" years for me!!! More like a decade and a half!! Ahhh well. I've long dreamt I've riding at this level, but never actually thought I would ever get here, so to be do this is a dream come true. To be doing it on a horse I own and trained myself - I wake up everyday wondering when the dream will end because this can't actually be real. Now to see how far this fantasy ride will take us!!!

As concerned as I have been about Julie's upcoming maternity leave and what I would do for training, I should have known that Julie would be even more concerned about it that me. [Roll Eyes] I had been planning to ask her if it would be ok with her if I took weekly lessons with another trainer in the barn who is okay, but not great, then once a month truck up to Maria (the BNT that I am going to tomorrow for a lesson) with Raz for a really good lesson. Before I could ask her, she told me yesterday that at the very least she wants me trucking Raz to Maria as often as possible for lessons while she is out. I ran my plan by her, and she said fine, but in addition she wants me to consider actually shipping Raz to Maria for an entire month of training (both him and me). [Eek!] YIKES!!

I would desperately love to do that since it will be a long time before Julie will be able to ride again, and Maria could be a huge help to me right now, but board at two barns, full training and lessons - even for just a month. OUCH!!! Julie said she would try to work something out that I could afford that would get Razzie into training for at least a month while she was out on maternity. I'm not sure what she will come up with, but if it can be done, she and Maria will find the way.

I know Julie is really worried about keeping me going and not letting me slip even an inch while she is out on maternity. She has brought me too far to let me slip now!! She's been pushing us so hard recently, I should have known she would be working on a plan to keep Raz and I in full training while she is away - especially since it will be right at the very beginning of show season.

~Shelly~

Inky, I think we need a volume 5... this one has died a bit!

Oh yeah... besides that, Im totally lost and have no idea what anyone is talking about... wahh!

Good Christmas everyone?

We need another volume so I can participate. I didn't really participate in this one... My stupid horse bit my friend in the head today and she had to get stitches. Ughh this is the 2nd time he has bitten her and the 3rd time he's drawn blood on someone. I think I may have a problem here... [Confused]