Sign in to follow this  
englishcow

New Riding/Polo Pictures of Tonka

Well, I got a digital camera for Christmas so now taking pictures is no problem. Yeah! [Yay] First, I got some new royal blue polos and a matching dressage pad (now I just need a dressage saddle [Roll Eyes] ). Here are the polos and the pad, and please excuse the wrapping although I think I am improving:

Front legs:

-

Please excuse the random lead rope on the ground!

Back legs:

-

-

Now with pad:

-

And with another pad that my friend got me with his show name on it

-

Cute head shot

-

Riding pics next!

I actually ended up taking off the front royal blue wraps and using my usual turqoise polos because I felt like the new ones needed to stretch out more and be washed. So because I am worse at the front legs I feel than the back I just changed the front ones. I know I'm weird and I probably don't even make sense [Duh] Well, anyway, here they are:

Warming up (walk)

-

Trotting, my leg is too far forward and I am tense/bracing against him

-

He was leaning on the reins quite a bit today and because I was tense and bracing he wasn't able to open his back as well and accept the bit (sigh, today was not my best day)

-

-

Shoulder Fore (not the best shoulder fore ever)

-

Well, that's it! We've had better days, but feel free to critique if you want! Just don't be too harsh! Thanks everyone for looking! [smiley Wavey]

Looking good, Tonka. I love the royal blue pad and polos on him. Your polos are looking a lot better! [big Grin] Just make sure you wrap a bit snugger under the fetlock joint, so they don't pooch out!!! Great job!!

Thanks Wild Oak! [big Grin]

Really, TurninBurnin? That's so cool! I love that pad already although it would be even better if I had a saddle to fit it with. [Roll Eyes] lol. Thanks for responding!

Thanks Boocoo! I find that that is my main problem (the fetlock area). Tonka has those knobs (lol sorry I'm not quite sure what they are called) maybe they are called chestnuts? right below the fetlock. So then it is hard to tuck the polo without it sticking out because of the "chestnuts" What should I do about them? Sorry, I hope that made sense! [Question] Thanks for replying!

Hey Tonka, I cut those chesnuts off!!!!!! [big Grin] When I trim the fetlock hair with my scissors, I just simply snip them off. Doesn't hurt them. They are like fingernails and you can trim them!

They are not called chestnuts, they are called ergots. Chestnuts are on the inside of the legs, right above the knee and the hock. The ergots can be cut off, or I just twist them off.

Tonka is very cute!

If that's a bad day, I can't wait to see what a good one looks like. [Razz] Tonka's a cutie.

Polos are lookin' good. One thing I do is twist tighter as I go across the front of the cannon bone (leg) than as I wrap the back. You don't want too much tension on the tendon itself, but on the bony leg.

I get a giggle out of these color-coordinated riders...my "outfits" look anything but, especially schooling. [big Grin]

Yes, Tonka, really. You can cut them right off, weather they are called chesnuts or ergots, or whatever!! I have always cut them off when I trim the fetlock hair with my scissors! Then when it's time to show, I just use the clippers! Neatens up the whole leg that way! [big Grin]

Deequeue gave you some good advice to. Don't pull the polo tight on the tendon, but rather after you pass the tendon.

Tonka does look great!

Thanks deequeue! I will be sure to remember that about the polos, thanks! lol, yeah I definitely don't put anything special on while I'm schooling, it's all about being comfortable [big Grin] I hate wearing any tight shirts or short shirts. lol [Jump] Although, for lessons I do clean up a bit luckily. [Yay] Thanks for your advice and comments! [smiley Wavey]

Thanks Boocoo! I actually went out yesterday and trimmed them down. It feels so weird to cut them lol. But it did help when wrapping the polos around the fetlock. Thanks for all of your advice and nice comments! [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by Tonka Flash:

Thanks Boocoo! I actually went out yesterday and trimmed them down. It feels so weird to cut them lol. But it did help when wrapping the polos around the fetlock. Thanks for all of your advice and nice comments!
[smiley Wavey]

Good job!! LOL! I have cut my horse's so much, they don't seem to even grow anymore!!!

LOL, that's awesome Boocoo..hopefully someday Tonka's will stop growing too [big Grin] Well, I have my lesson tomorrow and I'll try to get some pics of my trainer, Tonka, and me working him. We're trailering to a big arena (I posted a long time ago about Tonka's bolting issues in big arenas) and so far Tonka has been great. We can w/t/c him and we've even taken him over some trot rails and cross rails freely about the arena without and bolting. Wow, it's amazing what a change in trainers can do for a horse and rider! Well, anyways, I'll try and get some more pics tomorrow..long story short [Roll Eyes] Thanks for all your help Boocoo! [smiley Wavey]

Thanks Boocoo! The lesson went great, although I was too busy watching and riding that I wasn't able to get any pics. Hopefully I will next time! Thanks for all of your help and nice comments! [smiley Wavey]

With the polos it might help if in the from you dont have them so low. instead of going straight all around the bottom only have it come down in the back. and then bring it back up. this way there will be a slight triangle shape in the front/bottom of their leg and it makes the polos go on better!

sorry if this doesnt make any sense

Looking good - both the polos and the riding!! New polos are HARD to wrap. They will get easier after they have been washed a few times. Roll them super tight before trying to put them on as well - that will also help with new polos.

I know how hard it is to ride when you feel tight. One thing I have found helpful when you get to a point like that and can't get out of it - go back to the walk and focus on the footfalls of the horse. Think about getting a bigger walk, ask for a bigger walk, then FEEL each foot as it steps forward and try to FEEL whether you are actually getting the bigger walk. If not, which foot didn't step up enough?? Ask Tonka to be more active with that lazy foot and step up with it. Make him more active and again FEEL whether or not you are getting a response. Now go back to your trot and try to FEEL the same thing at the trot.

This exercise will help re-focus you onto the horse and off of your hands and upperbody and whatever is making you tight and will generally help loosen you up so that you can ride the horse more forward in a softer frame. I have found it very effective for helping me let go of the stress of the work day and release my tension so that I can have a softer, more relaxed ride.

~Shelly~