Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

Anything non dressage related can go here, as I'm trying to keep the rest of the dressage board, dressage related.

This means if you are talking about a great dressage ride, different dressage techniques, equitation, dressage saddles, etc. please post a new thread on the dressage forum itself to keep it lively [Wink] This thread will be specifically for other disciplines of horseback riding, perhaps throw in some h/j, wp, trail riding etc. stories, horse health if need be, personal account, and whatever else you feel like posting. Please keep some common sense about when posting comments as to not blatantly offend another, and please keep the HC Golden Rules in mind.

That being said if you have a thread deleted, and it wasn't because it was getting out of hand, check here first or check to see if it was moved to a more appropriate forum, I'll always PM to let you know what happened to the thread unless it got lost beyond my knowledge or the Admin deleted it. [Wink] HTTY and enjoy!

Yay! I can finally participate in one! Well Skip and I had bad fall on the trail 3 months ago and I sprained my ankle but now I am all better! I am hopefully going to qualify for JRs this year at first level too. I hope I will. Ugh. Today Skip bit my friend in the head and she had to get stitches. Evil horse; something I'm going to have to work on with him. Hopefully all of you had a great Christmas and I hope all of you have a wonderful New Year! [big Grin]

P.S. I'm going to become "more active" on the boards, so hopefully I can make some "board freinds"! [big Grin]

quote:

Today Skip bit my friend in the head and she had to get stitches.

That sounds like something my horse would do.

quote:

P.S. I'm going to become "more active" on the boards, so hopefully I can make some "board freinds"!

you'll make lots of buds on here! [Huggy]

Me and Gatsby are still playing docotor, todayis the day my vet told me i could start riding again, but i'm still gonna give him some time, I dont wanna push my luck, i seem to have so little of it lately [Roll Eyes]

I've been looking up various dressage websites(just ttrying to learn more) so if anyone has any other good websites to add to my list, let me know! [big Grin]

BQD, how is the Gats-man doing anyway? I don't blame you for taking it easy, but if the vet says it's okay, why not do just an easy short ride around a level area?

Might do you both some good to start getting back into the groove again.

[smile]

Gatsby is doing well, i think hes actually getting bored being a do nothing horse and wants to go back to work. Hes resorted to throwing orange cones around the area when i turn him out in there [Duh]

I also witnessed him doing flying lead changes and levades(sp) in the area, as well as over tracking at the trot by about a foot, talk about hind end action [Razz]

i'm just scared to start riding again then have his leg swell up again and my vet come tell me that this will be a continueing(sp) problem.

[Frown]

maybe i'll lunge him tonight, it cant be any worse than what he does when hes loose in the area [Confused]

On saturday i had turned him outside in his our paddock(its small like 15x20) and he manage to come in with swollen legs again [Frown] nothing to bad and the next day it went away(i treated it with ice and ect. of course). He can even go outside in a paddock without getting hurt. hes crazy. i'd like to take him to the vet for a check but finances right now are saying no!

maybe i'll get some pics tonight for ya [big Grin]

[ 12-28-2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

Skip just came out of rehab too. It wasn't very fun, but suprisingly, the first time I rode him, he didn't flip out. BQD, I'm sorry that her legs swelled up again! I hope they don't anymore. I would like to see some pictures when you get some! [big Grin]

On January 1st I begin leasing a QH x Arab named Teddy. I am really excited!

We are going to Auburn, WA (Donida Horse Farm) to a recognized dressage show and will be doing 1st level.

I am schooling 2nd level with my Arab mare, so by Spring/early summer I hope to be showing 2nd level with Teddy.

What your guys' show plans (if any)?

[smiley Wavey]

Sorry to pull a disappearing act on the board, but several people are out this week and they decided *I* would be perfect to fill in and do their jobs while they are away. “Don’t worry, it won’t be busy and our jobs are easy to do.” A five minute lesson in “how to do our jobs”. And off they went. BIG MISTAKE.

A) Their jobs ARE NOT easy.

B) Day Two and I have received 25 e-mails so far today and 22 of them are with regards to this project.

C) They are all unreachable so I am totally on my own.

D) They LIED to me – the promise of “nothing would come in” was total BS – everything that was “pending” when they left (which was substantial) MUST be completed by the end of the year – as in BY FRIDAY.

E) It has been nothing but one problem after another. Not one single piece of work has gone the “normal” way that they said it would.

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I still have to do MY JOB!!!! They are all TOAST when they come back. I am NOT a happy camper. [Mad]

At any rate, you may have noticed that there was no post about my lesson with the BNT, Maria. It was cancelled. [Frown] There was a problem with the horse, and she had to postpone. She is going to contact me after the holidays to reschedule. I’ll keep you posted.

Skippy, you silly!! You already have already have tons of board buddies here so I don’t know what you are talking about. Jump right on in and start chatting. Sorry to hear you have a vampire of a horse. You are definitely going to have to break him of that habit. Biting is a bad one.

Heather – if the vet has cleared Gats, get your butt out there and GET ON HIM!!! He can develop soft tissue injuries from standing around doing nothing so get that beast back to work. You didn’t buy him to stare at him and pay vet bills did you?? I know you are worried, but, as the saying goes, you have to get back on the horse!! You know how to bring a horse back from an injury. You’re a smart girl. Bring him back slow, and build him up. Start with 10-20 minutes of walking the first day and gradually build him back up. DO NOT let that horse stand in his stall and develop soft tissue damage because you were too scared of injuring him in the arena. If you have been lunging him, then he may even be ready for more than that on the first day, but if you are worried, take it slow and build him up gradually. And be sure to keep us posted.

Luvhorses – Congrats on the new lease!! Sounds like you have a great show season ahead of you this year. Raz and I need to finish up First Level, then hopefully we will move on to Second Level this season.

Okay, BACK to the grindstone for me. *sigh* They are such TOAST when they get back. TOAST I tell ya!!!

~Shelly~

Hey thanks Shelly!! I've kind of been a lurker on the boards, but now I'm definately going to post 501239876 times a day. Haha just kidding. I know I need to break him of that habit [Mad] . Gosh he is posessed or something...

luvhorses- Congrats on hte new lease, and the show! It will be very exciting. My show plans this year are to qualify for Jrs at first level and hopefully be schooling second!

Heather you have to get on Gatsby! Shelly is right; you didn't buy him to look at vet bills; you bought him to have fun and ride! Take it slooow. When Skip first cme out of rehab, I walked him for 30 minutes for a week. The next week I would trot a circle, and then another circle and so on. Just take it slow and everything will be good!

Thanks everyone, and my name is Nicole [big Grin] .

smithereens!!! just wondering where you were! [Huggy]

quote:

Okay, BACK to the grindstone for me. *sigh* They are such TOAST when they get back. TOAST I tell ya!!!

Kick butt shelly! [ROTFL]

ugg you guys are right!(arent you always [Razz] )

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

Nicole is my middle name! only i spell it with a h --> Nichole.

You should out your name in your siggy, that way i'll rmemeber!! [Razz]

[ 12-28-2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: BisQuickDoc ]

Shelly, I feel your pain. [Razz]

Both my assistants are out this week (thanks to my overwhelming benevolence and the fact that they both have rugrats at home that they have to supervise) so it's just lil ol me here. Ain't it always the way that all the cr@pola hits the fan when you're not around...and one of them is going to be in deep manure when she gets back next week.

So many employees with no insurance benefits...not sure how that happened...but all the poor folks with a 1/1 effective date are nowhere to be found in the land of Kaiser or Blue Shield.

So I'm chasing all the $%*$!! down over the next few days, and will quietly (or not so quietly) address it with Assistant #1 when she returns on Tuesday...Happy New Year.... [Mad]

Ah the joys of the season... [bang Head]

Smithereens, kick butt!!!!!! Also, sorry your lesson was canceled.

BQD, get back on Gatsby. It will do him good!

DQ, you sound swamped. BTW, where is that Broken Horn Tack shop and is it any good? I may go down there tomorrow. My Mom is here visiting and she loves to take me shopping! [Crazy]

How'd everyone do for Christmas? I got some nice new leather spur straps with pretty silver buckles, new show dress boots, bridle bag, garment bag and money! Hope you all had a nice Christmas to!

Took my Mom to the barn today so she could watch me ride and wouldn't you know it, the wind kicked up and it actually started to rain! [Mad] It never rains here, so we were all kind of suprised!

quote:

Originally posted by Boocoo:

DQ, you sound swamped. BTW, where is that Broken Horn Tack shop and is it any good? I may go down there tomorrow. My Mom is here visiting and she loves to take me shopping!
[Crazy]

Boo, I'm headed there tonight actually, after work (that is, if I ever get out of here).

Prices are pretty good (the cheapest outside of the catalogs) and it's easy to get to. Just head west on the 10 Fwy (from out your direction), till you get to Baldwin Park Blvd. Exit and go left from the offramp (it's a stop sign and can get tricky), then make the first right at the signal just past the freeway overpass (you're going back over the 10). Go down about a half mile and it's on the left, on a corner. Turn on the little street, parking lots are right there on the left. Plan to spend some time there, you won't want to do the quick-look-around, there's just way too much to see.

Knock yourself out... [Razz] Happy shopping...I've gotta pick up Pokey's supplements and some treats for the Jagster. He gets downright indignant when I show up with empty pockets. [Wink]

Oooh Broken Horn. Fun! I went there once and got lost. THe place is huge. It was like I kept turning corners and ending up somewhere new and I could never find my way back...but it was a good place to be lost!

Smithereens, sorry to hear about the workload! I probably shouldn;t tell you that I am on Christmas break right now then, should I? (I work at a school so we get 2 weeks off! Woohoo!)

DQ - I know you have probably said this somewhere else already, but did you rename your horse or is he still Flash? Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I'm too lazy to look for it I guess!

BQD - At least get on him and walk around. You'll feel better if you do, and walking certainly isn't any worse than his airs-above-ground that he's performing when he's turned out, right? [Wink]

Skip - Your horse drew BLOOD and she needed stitches??? Bad horse, bad bad horsie! But it could be worse...I have heard of TWO different people who had their ears bitten off by horses. [Eek!] In one case, it was a groom who worked at a friend's barn. In the other case, I knew the owner of the horse who did the biting (another groom!). So, as bad as it was, at least she still has her head, right?

Wild- I KNOW!! BAD BAD BAD BAD horse. BAD horse. Gah. It will need to be stopped.

Hope everyone is having a good day/night or whatever time zone your in!

Boo- For Christmas, my horse got his hocks injected [Razz] . Anything for the horse. I also got an iPOD Nano which is pretty darn nifty!

Dee-Sorry you have such a heavy workload! I hope things get better soon!

hmm.. for christmas I got that new saddle [Wink] which my mom got me then my non-horsey family gave me money to buy stuff at the tack shop. I bought and black dressage pad with white pipping, velcrow no bow wraps, a dover 3/4" pro halter, a black and white dressage bridle**DROOLS**, a better dressage girth, and saddle soap to clean my wonderful saddle.

OH! OH! and my trainer got me a blanket(like an throw) and she had one of my senior pitures of me and gatsby printed on it!!! i love it so much! i'll have to take a pic to show you guys [big Grin]

and guess what!!!! i'm up-loading gatsby videos from tonight!!! [big Grin]

Well Skippy, maybe the horse that bit the girl thought the girl was bad? [Razz] JK! Glad your horse got his hocks injected. Bet he feels better.

Deequeue, thanks for the directions. I think I will wait and go week after next, after my Mom leaves and my son is back in school. That way I can spend tons of time and nobody will be rushing me. I bet your boys expect your pockets full of goodies for them when you come. [big Grin]

Sounds like everyone got some nice things for Christmas.

[ 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Hi everyone! I didn't get a chance to read everything. I'm very tired. I flew in from my out of state business trip a few days early late last night. It was an interesting experience, but I am so glad to be home. And getting home a few days early means missing a few less days of riding! [Yay]

I hope everyone had a good holiday!

BQD--I'm headed there right now... [Wink]

Wild Oaks--yes his barn name is Jag. Just ordered a new stall plate for him last night, and his show name he'll have to earn. Although I do have a few ideas twirling around in my brain in the interim.

You know, I guess it would be easy to get lost trying to find Broken Horn, but it's spitting distance from the 10 Fwy, you can see it as you drive by, which I find real convenient...but the offramps can be confusing... [Question] I'm so familiar with the area anymore that my car goes there without my even steering it...

Took Jag photos in for developing yesterday, too, so stay tuned for (I hope) some working pics of the Jagster with the assistant trainer on him...it'll be sometime next week, if I can find my directions on how to load photobucket... [Question]

Oh, pics are great! [smile]

I have a minor dilemma. My very nice parents gave me some money for Christmas. I figure I can either buy a relatively inexpensive dressage saddle (perhaps on a $700 or so budget) OR I can take the same money and go to Rolex in April. Decisions, decisions.

I had the chance to ride in a NICE dressage saddle a couple weekends ago, while I was trying to decide if I am willing to trade in my custom cc for a custom dressage saddle. Oh, my. What a difference. We had our best canter *ever* in that saddle. I've approached it a few times in my cc, but it's not the same. I decided against the trade in, since I would still owe $900 or so. And even though Fessor and I don't jump anymoer, I'm not done jumping and will want to have a saddle that fits me.

I am considering finding a used dressage saddle in the $700 - $900 range and just having a second saddle. IF I can find one that fits us both. I need a short flap, and Fessor has tall, narrow, and long (front to back) withers. Hence the need for the custom cc... We'll see. I would love to get us a dressage saddle though. It was *amazing* how nice his canter felt when I was able to get more leg around Fess and my upper body back where it belongs. Methinks the gelding has potential as a dressage horse. [big Grin]

I've heard good things about Albions for high, narrow withered horses, and one of the area tackstores is a Thorowgood rep. Hmmm, maybe I can get some wither tracings tonight...

Tracy

Howdy all, boy I was trying to stay up to date on the last chat glad you started a new one. I got a new computer and its taken me forever to get logged on on this one. I hope eveyone had a safe an happy holiday season. I hate mud, but I guess I live in the wrong area to complain too much, western washington. My poor pony has sooo much rain rot [Frown] I worked her over pretty good yesterday and then found more. Of course it's raining again today but off an on, Maybe I'll doctor her and load her in the trailer with some hay so she has a chance to stay dry. They have a shelter but she has such a thick mane and tail it doesn't really dry.

sigh.............

dee-I can't WAIT too see pictures of Jag!

pinto- Iam also sorry about your horse and the rain rot. Thats's no fun!

Heather, I'll check the videos out as soon as I have time. I am going to the tack shop now to get some stuff! Hey, maybe someone will take pictures of me today...

Tracy- That is a tough descision! Albions are GREAT saddles, but I don't know if you will find a used one that's in the $700-$900 range. Around here the used one's are still $1,200 and up [Frown] . Good luck though!

I'll talk to all of you later when I get back from the tack shop!