Sign in to follow this  
erin_iwamoto

Dressage Chit Chat Thread Vol. 5

how did i miss your post?? [Crazy]

quote:

I've heard good things about Albions for high, narrow withered horses

its the only saddle i found that fit my horse!! and hes a high withered narrow tb! but is wide through his back(hes built funky!) let me find on website, perhaps they have an albion in your price range!

Just for fun . . .

* * New Year's Resolutions for Horses * *

* I will NOT roll in streams or try to roll when my human is on my back.

* I will NOT leap over large nonexistent obstacles when the whim strikes.

* I will NOT walk faster on the way home than I did on the way out.

* I promise NOT to swish my tail while my human is cleaning my back feet.

* I promise also NOT to choose that particular time to answer nature's call.

* I will NOT bite my farrier's butt just because it is there.

* I will NOT confuse my human's blond hair for really soft hay.

* I will NOT wipe green slime down the back of my human's white shirt.

* I will NOT blow my nose on my human.

* I CAN walk and potty at the same time. I can, I can, I can.

* I will NOT stop and potty every time I pass the same spot in the arena.

* I will NOT leave when my rider falls off.

* My stall is NOT my litter box. When I have free access to my paddock, I will NOT go back inside to potty.

* I will NOT try to mooch goodies off every human within a 1 mile radius.

* I will NOT lay totally flat out in my stall with my eyes glazed over and my legs straight out and pretend I can't hear my human frantically screaming "Are you asleep?"

* I will NOT chase the ponies into the electric fence to see if it is on.

* I will promise NEVER to dump the wheelbarrow of manure over while a human is mucking my stall.

* I will NOT grab my lead rope in my mouth and attempt to lead myself.

* I will NOT have an attitude problem. I won't, I won't, I won't!

* I will NOT pull my new shoes off the very next day just to prove that I can.

* I am neither a beaver nor a carpenter. I promise I WON'T eat or remodel the barn or the new fences.

* I WILL forgive my human for the very bad haircut, even though I look like a freak.

* I accept that NOT every carrot is for me.

* I will NOT do the Arab Teleport Trick when a bad/naughty/awful Horsasaurus Monster breathes at me.

* I will NOT jump in the air and turn 180 degrees every time I see a bicycle.

* I will understand that bicycles are NOT carnivorous.

* I will NOT shy at familiar objects just for fun.

* I will NOT bite the butt of the horse in front of me during the trail ride just to say "Hi".

* I WILL put my ears forward and cooperate when it comes to photos.

We must own long lost brothers. Fess is built like an appendix, mostly. Fairly light build with tall, narrow, long withers. Oh yes, and broad shoulders. [smile] He's been a b!tch to fit a saddle for, especially since I need something with a short flap.

DQ - You let your ASSISTANTS take a vaca while YOU covered. I AM THE ASSISTANT DOING THE COVERING FOR THE BOSSES. This is just not right. I may be an attorney, but I QUIT that job so that I didn't have to deal with this BS and stress. Now the two paralegals assigned to this matter both took vaca at the same time and CLAIMED that there would be "no work" and hence left everything up to a lowly secretary to cover. Had they told the truth about how much work there would be, one of them would have had their vacation denied, so they LIED. AND I AM THE ONE PAYING THE PRICE. However, I will NOT sit quietly by while they take their little vacations and expect me to do the work of two paralegals. They are taking HUGE advantage of me, and I won't have it. I will be screaming bloody murder, and there will be a BIG PRICE to pay when they get back. And I am NOT complaining to them. I am going over their heads to their bosses to let them know precisely what happened so that it NEVER happens again. I am beyond angry at this point. Seething doesn't even cover it. I would have already spoken to the paralegal manager who supervises them, but she is out as well. Just wait. When I say TOAST, I mean TOAST!!!!!

Boocoo - Sounds like you made out on the horsey front at Christmas. I got new work clothes. Nothing horsey. I really needed the new clothes though. I've lost so much weight that I don't have any work clothes that fit. I have a couple of outfits. Just enough to make it through one week . . . barely. And I wear the same thing over and over and over every week. So I finally got some new clothes so I can rotate my outfits. YEAH!!! Clothes are really expensive. I just don't have the money to buy an entire new wardrobe which is what I needed to do. I went from a size 14 to a size 4. That truly meant a whole new wardrobe. Both for work, riding AND around the home. Crazy!! In the past month I just realized that my riding pants are STILL too big. They are only a size or two too big, but it is just enough to cause chaffing when I ride, so I really need all new riding pants. Jack and I talked about it, and decided it wasn't worth chaffing, just buy new pants. So last week I surfed e-bay for all I was worth and ended up with 5 new pairs of full seat breeches in various colors for $270. Great deals considering what the retail price is for the brand names that I got. That should keep me well dressed for awhile. Now to make sure my weight stays stable for awhile!! Jack still wants to take me shopping to get me more work clothes since he still doesn't think I have enough. I HATE shopping, so I've been finding every excuse in the book to put him off. I wish he believed in on-line shopping - I'm a perfect size 4P. That way I could avoid the stores!! Ah well . . .

Nicole - HA!! Raz got a better Christmas present than Skip - Raz got a massage!!! He was very happy about that!!

Heather - The blanket your trainer got you sounds gorgeous. I was at my dr's office just before Christmas, and one of the nurses has a daughter who rides. She got her daughter a blanket with a picture of her daughter and her horse going over a jump together. It was a fabulous blanket. I loved it. I'm going to have to find out where she got it done and have one of Raz and me done. They are really something.

SG - Welcome home!!! How was the trip?? What did you decide to do with Santanna while you were away??? Good to see you back!!

DQ - EXCELLENT!! Now we know you have new pics of Jag so we can HARASS you until you get them posted!!! [big Grin]

Tracy - Easy choice - you HAVE to get a saddle with the money. You can't jump Fessor any longer so you really need a dressage saddle for him, so it just doesn't make sense to put the money towards anything other than the purchase of a new dressage saddle. Since he is hard to fit that does make your task much more difficult. Heather will probably be the most help to you since she just went through this with fitting Gatsby to a saddle. It's a shame Fessor is so hard to fit or else I would suggest the Cambridge saddle from Stateline. A great saddle for the $$$. I think they still offer a test ride in it. If so, it may be worth ordering the test ride just to see if there is a chance that it fits Fess. ??? Worth a shot. You have nothing to lose since you don't have to buy the saddle. Check it out.

Pinto - Sorry to hear about the rain rot. That stuff is nasty. Have you ever heard of a product called Shapleys MTG (mane tail groom)??? The stuff smells like the nasty kerosene ICK you have ever smelled, but I've heard it is a rain rot miracle treatment. I've never used it on rain rot, but I've used it for growing out a thin tail, and it does a pretty good job. Not very expensive either. Just a thought.

Okay, must run. My %$#*!& e-mail is beckoning . . . AGAIN!!!! LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY!!!! [Mad]

~Shelly~

Smithereens, BREATHE. [smile] And by all means let several people who can make **** sure that the situation your stuck in *never* happens again hear all about it. It's like coming to class the day before the final wanting to reschedule the test because you already bought the plane ticket home. Bogus!

I'm going to do a wither tracing of my boy and see if the tack store can help me. If I am *really* lucky we'll find a not too expensive synthetic that can work for both of us. Otherwise, I'll have to take a little longer and probably spend a bit more money. Thanks for the heads up on the Cambridge. The price is right, so it is probably worth checking out. [smile]

Tracy

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

DQ - You let your ASSISTANTS take a vaca while YOU covered. I AM THE ASSISTANT DOING THE COVERING FOR THE BOSSES. This is just not right. I may be an attorney, but I QUIT that job so that I didn't have to deal with this BS and stress. Now the two paralegals assigned to this matter both took vaca at the same time and CLAIMED that there would be "no work" and hence left everything up to a lowly secretary to cover. Had they told the truth about how much work there would be, one of them would have had their vacation denied, so they LIED. AND I AM THE ONE PAYING THE PRICE. However, I will NOT sit quietly by while they take their little vacations and expect me to do the work of two paralegals. They are taking HUGE advantage of me, and I won't have it. I will be screaming bloody murder, and there will be a BIG PRICE to pay when they get back. And I am NOT complaining to them. I am going over their heads to their bosses to let them know precisely what happened so that it NEVER happens again. I am beyond angry at this point. Seething doesn't even cover it. I would have already spoken to the paralegal manager who supervises them, but she is out as well. Just wait. When I say TOAST, I mean TOAST!!!!!

Crazy!! In the past month I just realized that my riding pants are STILL too big. They are only a size or two too big, but it is just enough to cause chaffing when I ride, so I really need all new riding pants. Jack and I talked about it, and decided it wasn't worth chaffing, just buy new pants. So last week I surfed e-bay for all I was worth and ended up with 5 new pairs of full seat breeches in various colors for $270. Great deals considering what the retail price is for the brand names that I got. That should keep me well dressed for awhile. Now to make sure my weight stays stable for awhile!! Jack still wants to take me shopping to get me more work clothes since he still doesn't think I have enough. I HATE shopping, so I've been finding every excuse in the book to put him off. I wish he believed in on-line shopping - I'm a perfect size 4P. That way I could avoid the stores!! Ah well . . .

Nicole - HA!! Raz got a better Christmas present than Skip - Raz got a massage!!! He was very happy about that!!

Heather - The blanket your trainer got you sounds gorgeous. I was at my dr's office just before Christmas, and one of the nurses has a daughter who rides. She got her daughter a blanket with a picture of her daughter and her horse going over a jump together. It was a fabulous blanket. I loved it. I'm going to have to find out where she got it done and have one of Raz and me done. They are really something.

SG - Welcome home!!! How was the trip?? What did you decide to do with Santanna while you were away??? Good to see you back!!

DQ - EXCELLENT!! Now we know you have new pics of Jag so we can HARASS you until you get them posted!!!
[big Grin]

Tracy - Easy choice - you HAVE to get a saddle with the money. You can't jump Fessor any longer so you really need a dressage saddle for him, so it just doesn't make sense to put the money towards anything other than the purchase of a new dressage saddle. Since he is hard to fit that does make your task much more difficult. Heather will probably be the most help to you since she just went through this with fitting Gatsby to a saddle. It's a shame Fessor is so hard to fit or else I would suggest the Cambridge saddle from Stateline. A great saddle for the $$$. I think they still offer a test ride in it. If so, it may be worth ordering the test ride just to see if there is a chance that it fits Fess. ??? Worth a shot. You have nothing to lose since you don't have to buy the saddle. Check it out.

Pinto - Sorry to hear about the rain rot. That stuff is nasty. Have you ever heard of a product called Shapleys MTG (mane tail groom)??? The stuff smells like the nasty kerosene ICK you have ever smelled, but I've heard it is a rain rot miracle treatment. I've never used it on rain rot, but I've used it for growing out a thin tail, and it does a pretty good job. Not very expensive either. Just a thought.

Okay, must run. My %$#*!& e-mail is beckoning . . . AGAIN!!!! LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY!!!!
[Mad]

~Shelly~

Oops..hit the wrong key... [Crazy]

Shelley--For God's sake woman, go take 5 and get a cup of coffee or something...you sound like you need a BREAK. And were I you, I'd let my bosses and bosses' bosses have it when they all come back. Next year they shut down and EVERYBODY gets to go out for the holidays. How nutty to expect one person to handle things for an entire office, and so unfair.

Here's the thing...I work for a group home for kids. I have to act like I love kids even if I hate them with every fiber of my being. I have 2 assistants who both have kids, small ones but school-age and therefore home for the Christmas break. If I acted like Scrooge and told them that I was going to take off this week, believe me I'd be blasted all over the place. Especially since I have no children of ANY age. And honestly, as long as I've ever worked I've always had to work between Christmas & New Years...I've never been anywhere where they shut down, or I had a boss who HAD to take that time off (touche', my friend) and therefore got stuck there. So I'm used to it.

And IMHO it comes with the title. The department's my responsibility and therefore my behind gets slung if there's a problem. We're a 24/7 operation, there's always problems. If I'm vacationing then it's my boss's problem. If I'm here I have to suck it up and deal with it. And if I shut down totally I hear about it loudly....It's a no-win for me.

So as I said, I really DO feel your pain. Just have a serious chat with your higher-ups and tell them if they do that to you next year you'll file workers' comp and take a stress leave.

That'll scare a bunch of attorneys, I'm sure. [Wink]

Sorry to hear you guys are all having to work! [Frown] I'm off for a couple of weeks (well, only five days left...) because I work at a school. The time off is nice, but the miniature paycheck I bring home each month balances it all out. I'm a Math Aide for 1st and 2nd graders...and there are some days when the last thing I want to do is see another kid or explain the differences between ADD and SUBTRACT one more time. [Roll Eyes] I would love an office job. Sigh.

Well, the good news is I RODE TODAY!!! WOOHOO!!! I haven't ridden since October 22. [Frown] I expected the ponies to be a bit nutty but we pretty much picked up where we left off. Except both ponies and I were uncapable of doing much! I am already soo sore, and I barely rode...maybe 30 minutes each. They didn't even break a sweat, that's how easy I took it. SO why am I sore??? Oh well, it felt AWESOME to be back in the saddle. It's the first day on my vacation that I haven't had visitors to entertain. I also got both barns and paddocks cleaned spotless yesterday so all I had to do today was pick stalls and ride. And feed. And turnout horses. And water. But the barn was clean so it seemed like a lot less work han it normally does, I guess. I think the ponies were both actually very happy to work today.

The weather here has been so great. It was at least 70 today, and is supposed to be 80 over the weekend! I love it! It's like I'm back in CA again.

Hey, everyone!

I've been a lurker on this board for awhile now, but I figured I'd better introduce myself already so you know who I am when I post!

Some of you may know me and my story already. For those who don't, I'll try a condensed version. Last fall I bought a young paint/thoroughbred and it was probably one of the worst equine-related decisions I will ever make. We went through several different trainers with him before we found one who would train him properly to the point that I could take over. He was a pretty nice little horse (all we were doing was Western trails to start with) until he got into this taking off problem. I had some pretty good falls on that horse. We tried every option until we decided the thing that would help the most would be to sell him to an experienced trainer who could work with him, and so we did. After that, however, my confidence in riding was completely shattered. It took a very good friend and her thoroughbred to bring me back into it. I've had a whole lot of progress over the past month and a half, but I still have some miles to go. I'm now leasing the horse that brought me back into it, and I'm loving it. You may know them as xspursnwhipx and her horse, Phoenix. (She also has another thoroughbred named Jake).

The very first barn I started riding at taught hunter/jumpers, but the owner and her 30 year old daughter both did Dressage, and I contribute them to getting me hooked on it. After hunter/jumpers, I switched over to western for a few years (with Dressage lessons thrown in), but I could just not feel secure riding in a western saddle. Now I'm back to Dressage and plan to stay that way for awhile.

Phew! That sure was a mouthful. I'll end it there to keep it remotely brief.

Hope to catch you all around! [smiley Wavey]

Wild Oaks, where in CA were you? I was just in Newport Beach visiting my parents. I'll admit, I enjoyed the sixty degree fog and occasional breaks of (even warmer) sunshine. [smile]

Welcome back to the boards, Dreamin. I had to smile. I don't recall hearing anyone complain of feeling insecure in a WESTERN saddle. Usually it's the reverse! Though after seeing how riding in a dressage saddle with the longer leg affected my balance, I can see how changing styles of saddles can make a difference.

I managed to get a wither tracing of Fessor. In the Thorowgood line of saddles, he has a medium width "back" and high withers. Of course, the "across the back" measurement doesn't include the shoulders, so we'll see. I'll see about trying their tb shape saddle, and if it doesn't work maybe the wb shape will. Both are for tall withered horses but the tb runs narrower and the wb wider. Fortunately, the good English tack store in the area is a distributor so they should be able to get one in for me.

I'm taking my last half day of vacation tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll get out to the tack store in the early afternoon, then hopefully try a saddle on Fessor in the evening. If it fits, great! If not, I can return in Saturday and try again.

Tracy

Shelly, those are some funny resolutions! I bet Skip would have LOVED to get a massage, but he likes his hock injections.

I went to teh tack shop today and bought HOT PINK polo wraps, a dressage whip and a regular crop. Then I went out and schooled Skip with the whip, and we was awesome! His leg yileds to the right are still a bit iffy, but his canter work was really good! ARGH I can't sit the trot. I CAN sit the trot, but I can hardly use my legs correctly when I sit the trot. I can sit big trots, my then I kind of go into a chair position. Ah so annoying. Something I will have to work on! Hope everyone had a good day! [big Grin]

Smithereens, sounds like you definitely need to line out your office. That is just flat out unacceptable!

DQ, can't wait to see the pics of Jag. Didn't make it to Broken Horn today. Got as far as Ontario Mills Mall and that took all day as it was! [big Grin] I think I'll go to Broken Horn, by myself when my son is back in school! [big Grin]

Tracy, I'd go for the new saddle. That is something that will last and sounds like you need it. I have an appx. QH, that is mostly TB. He has high withers to. I bought the Collegiate Convertible Dressage saddle with the changeable gullets for him and it fits him and me very nice! It didn't break the bank either. Sometimes www.equusnow.com has them on sale for a really good price. They include leathers, irons, a pad and the gullet kit and sometimes free shipping.

Wild Oaks, I know you are enjoying your time off. I worked for school districts for years! I worked in the front office and managed the health office. In fact, I was just offered a job a couple weeks ago, part time at one of the schools, but my husband and I decided that it would not be worth it for me to work right now. We don't really need me to and it's nicer having the house taken care of, our son taken care of and I can take care of my horse in the mornings, so it doesn't affect anyone!

Hot Pink eh, Skippy? Have you seen the pink tack Smart Packs has? Pretty cool! I tend to put navy on my horse for schooling!

[ 12-29-2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Boocoo ]

Boo- [big Grin] I wuv my hot pink polos. I mix them up with royal blue too. And then there's my all-famous zebra gloves and froggie pad... [Embarrassed] I'll have to get pictures of Skip and I schooling with all of our wacky stuff sometime!

DQ - I start the day plenty calm, but it was around noon yesterday when the attorney on the project called me to tell me that I wasn't working fast enough that I totally lost it. I still have my own work to do on top of the work these two paralegals decided to pile on top of me. This place never closes, and I have no problem working this week. That isn't my complaint. I expected to be here. Heck, I have a week's worth of vacation time left still. If I wanted to take this week off, I COULD, but I don't have kids and Jack's boys are in Virginia with their mom, so there is no need for me to be sitting home on my lazy butt doing nothing when others who do have kids would like to be home spending the time with their kids. So I come in and man the office - usually without complaint. My issue is having to do work that NEVER should have come to me. This is work that should have been handed off either to a paralegal or an attorney. It NEVER should have been dumped onto an overworked secretary. That is my issue. Now the work that I was supposed to get done this week - my normal work - is hopelessly falling behind, and I am going to get reemed by my supervisor - or I would except that I have kept her so well informed of how unfairly buried I am by these two paralegals that she is cutting me some slack on my normal work. It won't last though. She will expect me to catch up at some point, but she will get me help to get my regular work back up to speed if I need it. She isn't totally heartless!!! She's actually pretty decent. And she will go to bat for me with the paralegal manager so that I am never put in this position again. I just need to get through today and half of next week until these two jokers get back. What is really going to go over like a lead balloon is that all this work I am doing SHOULD have been done by a billable employee - meaning the firm lost major $$$ by having me do the work because my time is NOT billed to the client whereas an attorney or a paralegal would have billed their time to the client.

WOF - Glad to hear you got back in the saddle again. Doesn't take long for the muscles to lose tone. A few rides and you will be back in shape again.

Dreamin - Welcome aboard!! I can relate to the feeling of insecurity. Before owning Raz, I had a TB who was prone to bucking and bolting. I had a few good falls off of him that really shattered my confidence. It is a long hard road back. I rebuilt what I could of my confidence on my TB, but I eventually retired him, bought Raz, and he has helped me truly regain my confidence and grow in my riding. Keep working on it. You can get there, too.

Nicole - Learning to sit the trot comes from hours of practice. It isn't something that happens overnight. Just keep working on it, and eventually, it will happen.

~Shelly~

Shelley--Their loss in $$, too bad. I'll bet they won't that THAT happen again.

Well, it looks like rain out here in La-La Land, and I just hope it holds out long enough for me to get a ride in tomorrow morning. SU & I were going to spend New Years Day at Santa Anita (our family tradition) but if the weather's sucky I don't know if we'll get there. It'll be a perfect day to go, the Rose Parade cr@pola won't affect us since that's on Monday this year. I like singing "Happy Birthday To You" to the thoroughbreds.... [Crazy]

Who's doing what for the big night tomorrow night? We're going to play cards and break open a bottle of Mumms with some friends at midnight. I've never been a big New Years person anyway, even when I was young and stupid. Just another night, mostly unsafe to be driving anywhere, and I'm a real lightweight when it comes to alcohol... [Confused]

We are not big drinkers either. I don't like going out and driving on New Years Eve anyway, with all the fools out on the roads, drinking and driving! They don't learn till they get a DUI or kill someone! It's really tragic.

We are going down to Longbeach tomorrow to the Aquarium and hopefully we'll be back home by dark. Then a nice dinner at home and we love to watch the ball drop at midnight!

Last year we were in TN and lit fireworks. Course it was nice and damp there, no fire danger!

2 more good rides today! Ooooh it feels good to be back in the saddle.

Tracy - I'm from San Diego. I moved out here to TX about a year and a half ago and the honeymoon phase is over. I love love LOVE it here but I also really miss San Diego. [Frown] It took me a year of TX weather to realize how great I had it out there. When I lived in CA I actually complained about the weather ("it's too cold, it's too hot...") but I would never complain now! I am a California girl at heart but living my dreams in Texas! I could never, and I really mean never, afford 15 acres, a bunch of horses, two nice barns and a big house in CA! [Eek!] So it's a trade off.

Smithereens, I hope those employees really get it when they get back. [Mad] That's pretty lame of them to do that to you and they should get called out on it. But it's Friday, right? That means tomorrow is Saturday and no work! [big Grin]

Boocoo, do you live by Long Beach? My sister goes to school at Long Beach. Tomorrow, New Year's Eve, is her 21st Birthday so I'm hoping she'll take it easy (yeah right [Roll Eyes] ) and be careful.

Dreamin, glad to have you on the boards! [smiley Wavey]

Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I am going to start leasing a talented almost-five-year-old QH x Arab (named Teddy) cross on Jan. 1st. I own an Arabian mare, who was having some issues under saddle, so that was the reason for me to start leasing Teddy.

The issues my mare was having (overall not behaving, and not performing well enough for me to show, which is my goal), seem to have gone away. Right-lead canter work is still a tad iffy, but it's mostly just me. My trainer, who is a USDF Gold Medalist and who has 25+ years of experience in the horse world, thinks that Alibi was acting the way she did because she was bored. Now that we are doing 2nd level dressage work, she has enough to keep her little brain busy.

I am still going to lease Teddy, the QH x Arab gelding, but that means my mare, Alibi, will be out of training and just having me ride her 4-5 times per week. She is doing so well, I almost regret leasing Teddy, but I will be able to go faster and farther with him, and probably have more of a chance of sucessfully showing and earning my USDF Bronze medal.

Sorry that was so long...!

My trainer through her back out, so I helped her two days last week and two days this week...cleaning stalls, lunging/riding horses, cleaning tack, etc. I rode a 4 year old Dutch WB, by Art Deco. He is rather large, 16.2hh, but pretty sweet (his ground manners can be, er, interesting at times, but he is young and learning). It was fun riding another young horse. I also rode a 13 year old TB gelding that is in training, he was a good boy was well.

Shelly - I am sorry about the way things are going at work...it seems like it sucks, to say the least (the VERY least!)

[smiley Wavey]

Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I am going to start leasing a talented almost-five-year-old QH x Arab (named Teddy) cross on Jan. 1st. I own an Arabian mare, who was having some issues under saddle, so that was the reason for me to start leasing Teddy.

The issues my mare was having (overall not behaving, and not performing well enough for me to show, which is my goal), seem to have gone away. Right-lead canter work is still a tad iffy, but it's mostly just me. My trainer, who is a USDF Gold Medalist and who has 25+ years of experience in the horse world, thinks that Alibi was acting the way she did because she was bored. Now that we are doing 2nd level dressage work, she has enough to keep her little brain busy.

I am still going to lease Teddy, the QH x Arab gelding, but that means my mare, Alibi, will be out of training and just having me ride her 4-5 times per week. She is doing so well, I almost regret leasing Teddy, but I will be able to go faster and farther with him, and probably have more of a chance of sucessfully showing and earning my USDF Bronze medal.

Sorry that was so long...!

My trainer through her back out, so I helped her two days last week and two days this week...cleaning stalls, lunging/riding horses, cleaning tack, etc. I rode a 4 year old Dutch WB, by Art Deco. He is rather large, 16.2hh, but pretty sweet (his ground manners can be, er, interesting at times, but he is young and learning). It was fun riding another young horse. I also rode a 13 year old TB gelding that is in training, he was a good boy was well.

Shelly - I am sorry about the way things are going at work...it seems like it sucks, to say the least (the VERY least!)

[smiley Wavey]

Thanks Shelly! Usually my sitting trot is pretty o.k., but lately it hasn't been so good. Gah I rode Skip bareback yesterday and oh boy I did horrible. I haven't ridden bareback since my accident(3 months), so it was quite, erm interesting? Oh well! Things will get better!

Hope everyone has a really wonderful New Years! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by smithereens_86:

Thanks! The trip was a great learning experience and a real eye opener. I gave Santanna the week off, which was good for my pocket book but probably not the best idea for him. He was extremely hyper and on my first ride since coming back we were on a leisurely walk down the long side of the arena when out of nowhere he reared up, spinned on one leg, and took off at a full gallop in the other direction bucking every so often.

[Roll Eyes]

A couple rides later he is back to himself, but geeze...that horse...sometimes...aye! [Eek!]

Hey guys! Ive been working my butt off at CitiBank and makin the moneys! So I havent been able to keep up too much.

Sarah and I went out to the barn today. Since it was *gasp* daylight, we went up to the large field at the front of the property to ride and get out of the ring. Fantastic work from Layla and Sarah both. I was SO happy! I got some GREATTTTTT pics that Ill post in a few.

So its 7:20 and people are shooting off fireworks like crazy and the dog is going bonkers. My aunt and sister in law are down so we are all singing kareoke and playing games. The aunt and I are having a few drinks but we arent going any where.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year. Look for my pics!

SG: Glad to hear your trip was good! My high-energy Arab mare was given 5 days off, and boy did she get lunged! [big Grin]

I went up to the South Center Mall in Seattle, WA, to get some software for my iMac G5. I also went to the State Line Tack store in Puyallup (took me an HOUR to find it, it should've taken about 5 minutes [Roll Eyes] ), but $40.22 later I had a lunge whip, lead rope for my new leather halter, and new white polo wraps. Below is a picture.

-

[smiley Wavey]

ok who wants a laugh???

my pappap(grandpa if you guys dont understand my lingo) is a livid hunter. Today he went up to our camp to go rabbit hunting and it was raining all day. When he was done and out the dogs away he went in the camp house and took off his wet overalls and sweat-shirt. Now, you camp in a 150 year old farm house, the whole place is just old fashion. Well pappap wanted his his dry so he threw it on the heater to dry [Duh] of course one of his farm buds stopped by and he went outside on the porch and got to b.s.-ing. When he returned in the house he saw a strange cloud of smoke, looking towards the heather he saw his sweat-shirt catching fire. [ROTFL][ROTFL][ROTFL]

lol, this was the story i got from him, see i came home from the barn today and i'm pullinh up the drive way and i see my pappap unpacking things and so i went to say hi. I saw the front of his shirt was all back and the sleeves had holes in them were burned off. I nearly peed myself when he told me what happend. he looked rediculous with his fire-burnt shirt, he said he had to wear it the rest of the day too because he didnt bring and extra shirt. God i hope no body saw him [Duh] he looked like he came out of the movie "ladder 49".

[ROTFL]

Happy New Year everyone! [smiley Wavey]

Well we had a near disaster yesterday. After our ride in the arena (which, coincidentally, was the best ride I think we have had together - Seamus was strethcy, soft, connected, and focused), my mom and I went out on a trail ride with my husband's aunt on her property. She has 160 acres and it's a nice place to ride. So we met her there and off we went! The horses were all antsy as A) it was feeding time, and B) nobody's been off my property in like 2 months [Roll Eyes] , and they were acting up a bit. Seamus was really tossing his head, rooting, and occasionally trying to take off with me. FUN. [Roll Eyes] Anyway, when we started heading back he started to settle down quite a bit. But my leg and feet were KILLING me since I had been wearing my tall boots for hours at this point, so I offered to get off and get the gate to get some relief from the pain. I got off and did not lead Seamus forward two steps when he took off. Luckily he didn't get away, but he was running in circles around me, terrified, and he acted like he was running for his life. He had stepped in wire that we didn't see and it was dragging behind him, making a bunch of noise as he dragged it through the weeds. He finally stopped, snorting and trembling. It was loosely wrapped around three of his legs. I was so scared. He would start to back up and hear/feel the wire and it would set him off again. It ws also wrapped around one of my legs, which made me a little nervous for myself too! I FINALLY sweet-talked him into standing still and was able to move his feet out of the wire and back him up a little. I couldn't move the wire because he freaked out if he heard it move or felt it against him. It was a lesson in trust. As soon as he was out of it, he knew and he dropped his head, sighed, and started licking and chewing. It was really nervewracking though!

He calmed down immediately and I was able to get back on him and finish our ride with no problems. He is the LAST horse that I would have wanted that to happen with. My other horses wouldn't have batted an eye and would have either stopped or kept walking with it dragging along behind them. [Roll Eyes] But not Seamus. He is much too sensitive and worried.

The good thing is, I really felt that he trusted me enough to get him to stop and then move him out of the wire, and I could feel his relief when he was free. The other good thing (REALLY good thing) is that I wasn't on him when it happened! That was our New Year's Eve ride!

Well, I'm off to breakfast and then hopefully I can ride. I'm working on a sinus infection (what else is new) and I really don't need to be sick when I have to go back to work on Tuesday!

[ 01-01-2006, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Wild Oaks Farm ]

Hey guys, just a quick update from my side of the pond. Ill try to reply to your posts tomorrow.

Ive come to the difficult decision to sell Gizmo. I plan to join the Kings Troop, and it wouldnt be fair on him to rot away in a field when someone else can own him and take him to the top - where he belongs. A friend of mine who rides GP told me he could easily go GP and that she was quite jealous that she didnt own him... *sigh*, sadly she lives in the US so she wouldnt be able to afford to buy him and have him shipped. Im so upset and sad about this, but I know Im doing the right thing. He was my horse for life [Me Cry]

Life wont be the same without him [Frown]